Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Zzu posted:

I guess just a general question.

Junior in college. I recently accepted a job working overnights at a gas station. Did 2 days of training. The new store opens up tomorrow and I start working nights there the day after.

I was recently offered a job doing a different position, better hours, and substantially more pay. (1300 vs. ~2500 monthly). How do I go tell my current employer that I'm a huge rear end in a top hat and I want to go to the other job.

You tell them you've been offered another job and you're going to take it unless they can double your salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

tarepanda posted:

If you have any solutions that don't involve branded products (I live in Japan), I'm listening. :(
Have you tried dabbing white vinegar on it? Vinegar's a goddamned miracle-worker at cleaning poo poo.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

TetsuoTW posted:

Have you tried dabbing white vinegar on it? Vinegar's a goddamned miracle-worker at cleaning poo poo.

I'll get some tomorrow. Hopefully it hasn't been too long...

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Zzu posted:

Junior in college. I recently accepted a job working overnights at a gas station. Did 2 days of training. The new store opens up tomorrow and I start working nights there the day after.

I was recently offered a job doing a different position, better hours, and substantially more pay. (1300 vs. ~2500 monthly). How do I go tell my current employer that I'm a huge rear end in a top hat and I want to go to the other job.

When do you have to start this other job? You could be nice and offer your first employer a few days so they could train another person.

However, in these cases, the answer is generally: Give as much notice as they would have given you. I assume that you're in the US, aren't in a union, and your worker's rights barely exist. This is a basic hourly job that almost certainly would offer you no protection, no severance, and no notice if your employer decided to instantly fire you for so much as farting.

To put it bluntly: That's the price employers pay for giving their employees lovely job security. Security and loyalty run both ways. If they don't want employees to be able to quit instantly and leave them empty handed, they should have disincentivized it in their employee contracts.

Don't feel bad. It's business. If they act pissed, tell them you would have given them exactly as much notice as they were obliged to give you. Maybe they'll get the hint and offer the next guy a bit of job security.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Zzu posted:

One thing that stands out to me is your use of the "~" for the new job's income. Is it commission or tip based and that's why you are approximating the income? If so, you should make absolutely sure that you can actually make that amount of money. A lot of commission based jobs make promises that are far off what you'll actually end up making.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

tarepanda posted:

I'll get some tomorrow. Hopefully it hasn't been too long...

Just be sure to try it on a piece behind a closet or something, or if you have some leftovers lying around try it on that. Some cleaning agents make everything worse, and wallpapers can be made out of all kinds of materials.

Zzu
Jun 17, 2008

Jeffrey Colon posted:

One thing that stands out to me is your use of the "~" for the new job's income. Is it commission or tip based and that's why you are approximating the income? If so, you should make absolutely sure that you can actually make that amount of money. A lot of commission based jobs make promises that are far off what you'll actually end up making.

That was just me doing rough math. It works out to that after taxes. It's an hourly job.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

tarepanda posted:

I'd have to find paint that matches the wallpaper, which is more of a pain in the rear end in Japan than it sounds like.

The surface immediately around the sink/stove is faux marble, but there's wallpaper close to that, probably because it's a Japanese apartment and very tiny.

Try something that is mildly abrasive, like baking soda -or even teethpaste, and lightly scrub. Find an area that nobody can see, like down in a corner by the floor next to a cabinet or something and try it first because you might make it worse. See Mr. Bean v. Whistler's Mother.
But if you could make a moist paste of baking soda and apply it to the stain, then spray a little vinegar at it, the foaming action might be enough to lift it off.

edit: I must have been on the last page. Both of these things were already posted; except the baking soda part.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I tried to find a thread in the science forum to ask this but couldn't so I'll just put it here.

Now first of all I will just post a few things I think I know about science so those who can give me an answer can easily point out where I am wrong.

The faster an object travels to the speed of light, the more time slows down for that object. So if I throw a ball at the moon at a certain speed that is say 1/2 the speed of c, then time will slow down a certain amount. I believe this is called time dilation.

When an object vibrates, it is moving one way and then another (perhaps the opposite direction) very quickly.

If an object vibrates at the speed of light or close to it, how would the time dilation effect occur? Would the object just sit there vibrating staying in the same spot but experience time at a reduced rate or what?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fuckpot posted:

When an object vibrates, it is moving one way and then another (perhaps the opposite direction) very quickly.

If an object vibrates at the speed of light or close to it, how would the time dilation effect occur? Would the object just sit there vibrating staying in the same spot but experience time at a reduced rate or what?

Ignoring the fact that vibration is traditionally measured in frequency and not meters per second, yes. The object would be moving in one direction at a that speed for a short time, then it would stop and reverse course and do it again in a different direction. For the period of time during which it is moving near light speed, it would experience time dilation.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

fuckpot posted:

I tried to find a thread in the science forum to ask this but couldn't so I'll just put it here.

Now first of all I will just post a few things I think I know about science so those who can give me an answer can easily point out where I am wrong.

The faster an object travels to the speed of light, the more time slows down for that object. So if I throw a ball at the moon at a certain speed that is say 1/2 the speed of c, then time will slow down a certain amount. I believe this is called time dilation.

Strictly speaking, at the moment it is going fastest (at the center of its oscillation), we are as slow to it as it is slow to us. There's significance in the fact that at the extremes of its oscillation path, it accelerates. One of the points of relativity is that A moving relative to B (but not accelerating) is no different than B moving relative to A (but not accelerating). But acceleration produces a real effect on things.
Check out the twin paradox. The reason the spacefaring twin comes back to earth younger than its stay-at-home twin is because space-twin had to accelerate to start, turn, and end its trip.

Not sure how this translates to a harmonic oscillator, but I believe this is relevant. I'm curious now too. Physics people?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
So I'm toying with the idea of this year or next rigging up a hillbilly wood-fired pool heater for our hillbilly 20' metal frame pool.

I have an entire tree cut up that a storm knocked down. Would help get rid of this wood and get the pool going a month or 2 earlier.

Some googling I see I'm not the only one with the idea, and most had the same idea as me, oil drum with a coil of tubing inside.

Anyone have any advice for me on a couple things or throw out any other ideas you have:

- Is there something cheaper and more sturdy than copper tube a normal person could make a coil out of?

- What about something totally different than a coil, like a big freon can (like a grill propane tank) with a couple pipes welded top of it suspended in drum over the fire? Friend is telling me this wouldn't work, says there's too big a volume of water there and I "might as well be heating up a pot of pool water on the stove every 10 mins".

- Flow-rate, If I flow too slow it would boil but is there a problem with flowing too fast? the output water isn't as warm but should be adding the same total amount of heat to the pool?

- I have a external filter pump I could dedicate to this but would be easier if I could somehow branch off the output of the main 1500gph pool pump/filter without killing its total flow rate. Still letting most of the output of that pump flow out the regular outlet it does now.

- lastly fire itself, I'm thinking some type of frame/grate to hold wood few inches from bottom of drum. How big/many airholes do I need at the bottom? And how do I cut without a cutting torch? I have an air cut off tool that will zip through bolts but would it take forever on this? Top of drum, leave it completely open? or make some kind of roof to keep rain out and slow the heat, possibly putting more into my water?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 17, 2012

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a Twitter site that allows me to see what tweets by a certain author have been retweeted the most? Or at least some sort of popularity scale?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wagonburner posted:

So I'm toying with the idea of this year or next rigging up a hillbilly wood-fired pool heater for our hillbilly 20' metal frame pool.

You're building a heat exchanger. Fun!
I'm a mechanical engineer but I haven't studied heat exchangers much in years, so I'm going to speculate based on my kinda-informed intuition, but I do not claim these are the best answers.

quote:

- Flow-rate, If I flow too slow it would boil but is there a problem with flowing too fast? the output water isn't as warm but should be adding the same total amount of heat to the pool?

I think your second point is correct - in fact, you may even add more total heat to the pool with faster flow. I believe in a system like this where the water is all part of the same pool and is being recirculated and heated as it goes, faster can only be better.

:eng101:By and large, heat transfer is driven by temperature gradient. So the heat transfer into the water depends on the temperature of the water - more heat will go into water that is more cold.
So imagine slow water. It gets halfway through the coil and is already really hot, so it's sucking less heat out of the hot air.
Imagine fast water. It goes through so fast that it barely changes its temperature, but in total, the coil fluid absorbed the max amount of heat (per unit time, not per mass water). You can see how this would be a problem if you were heating water one time only and then sending it off somewhere else, but if you are recirculating the water, then as you say, you'll add the same total heat. Except more effectively!

P.S. if possible, pull water out of the bottom of the pool where it's coldest, for the same reason.

quote:

- lastly fire itself, I'm thinking some type of frame/grate to hold wood few inches from bottom of drum. How big/many airholes do I need at the bottom? And how do I cut without a cutting torch? I have an air cut off tool that will zip through bolts but would it take forever on this? Top of drum, leave it completely open? or make some kind of roof to keep rain out and slow the heat, possibly putting more into my water?

A little chimney would improve air flow, I don't know if it would really "slow the heat" though. Slowing the heat means slowing the air flow, which means cooling the fire. But a chimney-shaped thing on top actually helps draw in air from below.
The only way I can think of to slow the heat would be to give the hot air a more tortuous path to follow, so that the fire itself gets plenty of air, but the hot air dwells near the cold water for longer.
One way to give the hot air a tortuous path would be to flip your phases: run the water through the oil drum, and run the flue gas from the fire through the copper tubing. But that would require a whole nother combustion chamber, so unless you have two drums and a lot more time, probably stick with water in the coils.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I'm waiting for a hardcover book that came out a bit ago to go on liquidation. Is there a website/RSS feed that lists when BN throws their overstock onto the super cheap sale price?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

alnilam posted:

One way to give the hot air a tortuous path

Thanks for all that. This part especially though gave me an idea. A regular gas hot water heater has a torturous path, a little spiral screw type thing in its flue/chimney that runs up the middle of the tank. Wonder if I could find one of those small hotel room/apartment 25 gallon water heaters broken but with a good tank, cut the tank out of it, suspend that in there. May be too big though and would almost surely require some type of wood access door be made.

But that gets back to my friend's point of "too much water volume over the fire" and "take a pot of pool water to the stove every 10 mins" I see where he could be right, but still not sure why. He compared the normal coil idea to a car radiator, Goal of a radiator is to remove as much heat as possible as quickly as possible. I want to suck in as much heat as possible but I don't care if it takes 20 mins to actually start flowing out warm water.

Pretend I make a big nice coil of copper with x square inches of surface area exposed to fire and pretend the coil itself holds 2 gallons of water. vs. If I used a tank from a hotwater heater, freon propane or whatever and it had the same x square inches exposed to fire. Does it having same surface area but 3-10x the amount of water inside the tank vs. the tubing slow things down at all given the same flow rate?

I wonder if using a tank method if I could increase efficiency by strapping or having a friend weld some metal stick-out "scales" to the sides.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 17, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm visiting my parents this week, and am trying to de-crudify their computer. One particularly irritating thing is that some stuff has a very hard time downloading (some windows updates, Flash installer, Java updates, etc.). It'll download right at first, but then peter out. If you pause/resume the download in IE, it'll download again in a short burst. It's not their connection, because my laptop that I brought with me doesn't have this problem. I'm doing virus scans and stuff, but is there any particular flavor of malware that might cause this behavior that I should watch for? I'm in the middle of a full MBAM scan right now which has found two items, but I'm not sure what since you can't get details until after it's done. They've got MSE installed and fully updated, and aside from one particular Windows update that doesn't want to download, they're fully patched as well.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

stubblyhead posted:

I'm visiting my parents this week, and am trying to de-crudify their computer. One particularly irritating thing is that some stuff has a very hard time downloading (some windows updates, Flash installer, Java updates, etc.). It'll download right at first, but then peter out. If you pause/resume the download in IE, it'll download again in a short burst. It's not their connection, because my laptop that I brought with me doesn't have this problem. I'm doing virus scans and stuff, but is there any particular flavor of malware that might cause this behavior that I should watch for? I'm in the middle of a full MBAM scan right now which has found two items, but I'm not sure what since you can't get details until after it's done. They've got MSE installed and fully updated, and aside from one particular Windows update that doesn't want to download, they're fully patched as well.
Have you tried downloading in Firefox or Chrome instead? IE9 can do some seriously weird things off its own bat even without a malware infestation. (I can't download zips with it on my work computer for example; it corrupts them.)

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Is there any video of Newt Gingrich being asked about his moon base? I never caught anything about it after he said it, apart from hilarious mockery.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

greazeball posted:

You tell them you've been offered another job and you're going to take it unless they can double your salary.

Don't even say that because they could do it then just get rid of him as soon as they trained a new guy. It sucks but it won't matter. Best thing to do is just tell them the truth, the sooner the better.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
You don't have to tell them anything. Just quit. Its retail.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is there any video of Newt Gingrich being asked about his moon base? I never caught anything about it after he said it, apart from hilarious mockery.

Newt's big Moon speech in Florida: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E7rrRGqbZM
Mitt Romney calls him out during a debate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RavCepXxlj0

More can be found with a little searching. If you're looking for something specific, you can always ask around in the big Republican Primary thread in D&D.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Runcible Cat posted:

Have you tried downloading in Firefox or Chrome instead? IE9 can do some seriously weird things off its own bat even without a malware infestation. (I can't download zips with it on my work computer for example; it corrupts them.)

Chrome was actually one of the things it didn't want to download. I finally got it by downloading the msi installer. As another example, it won't load anything on youtube. Hulu works perfectly (this is all in chrome now). This computer is only about a year old and still has pretty good specs, so it's not a resource issue.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

stubblyhead posted:

Chrome was actually one of the things it didn't want to download. I finally got it by downloading the msi installer. As another example, it won't load anything on youtube. Hulu works perfectly (this is all in chrome now). This computer is only about a year old and still has pretty good specs, so it's not a resource issue.

Watch out for using multiple virus/malware/firewall apps.

Boot into safe mode with networking. Try.

If on wireless try lan, if on lan try wireless.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Watch out for using multiple virus/malware/firewall apps.

Boot into safe mode with networking. Try.

If on wireless try lan, if on lan try wireless.

Looks like their router is causing some issues... it turns out I couldn't load anything on youtube on my own computer either, but once I plugged directly into their cable modem it works fine. I'll gently caress around with it tomorrow.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Wagonburner posted:

You should post a thread about this in DIY. They will be able to give you a lot of helpful advice and hopefully keep you from killing yourself/others.

buzz wing wow
Aug 2, 2010
I need a recording of a crowd, similar to that at a small posh string quartet type performance or something, maybe a small play? (20-30 people) Everyone murmuring, like the buzz before a school play back in the day, waiting then clapping politely when the musicians come on and then smoothly quietening down.

I'd like to add it to the start of one of my songs that im making and make out it's a live performance as I have a cell phone going off halfway through as a joke with someone answering it.

I'm sure there'd be some bootleg or live filming or audio recording of something like this, but I have no idea how to google it, or where to ask?

Thanks!!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Try searching using "sound effects" as keywords. I tried "sound effects small audience" but the first few hits I don't think are what you wanted, but you might have better luck.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sound+effects+small+audience&num=100&hl=en&safe=off

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is there a way, preferably in firefox, to block images/adds based on the url they link to when clicked?

The name of the image is something like www.goodsite.com/stringofnumbers.jpg. Mousing over it shows a link to www.badsite.com/whatever.

Adblock doesn't work since it only looks at the name of the image, not where it links to I guess.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

buzz wing wow posted:

I need a recording of a crowd, similar to that at a small posh string quartet type performance or something, maybe a small play? (20-30 people) Everyone murmuring, like the buzz before a school play back in the day, waiting then clapping politely when the musicians come on and then smoothly quietening down.

I'd like to add it to the start of one of my songs that im making and make out it's a live performance as I have a cell phone going off halfway through as a joke with someone answering it.

I'm sure there'd be some bootleg or live filming or audio recording of something like this, but I have no idea how to google it, or where to ask?

Thanks!!

http://www.freesound.org/

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
There's a Chinese shop keeper I've known for a couple of years, and every time I go into his place, he has the same drat CD playing. It's all wind instrument covers of popular songs (such as "I Swear" by Gary Baker/All4One) and it's been driving me nuts. I want to tell the guy to get some different music. I actually have a CD of similar instrumental music that I want to give him, but it's Japanese. Would giving it to him be inappropriate? My knowledge of Chinese/Japanese tensions is limited.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Elijya posted:

I actually have a CD of similar instrumental music that I want to give him, but it's Japanese. Would giving it to him be inappropriate? My knowledge of Chinese/Japanese tensions is limited.
You mean it's similar to All4One etc.? Anyway, it kinds of depends on a) if he's Chinese-Chinese or just ethnically Chinese, and b) how old he is. If he's an old Taiwanese dude, he'll probably bloody love it. If he's an old Chinese dude, he may not be quite so keen. If he's a younger guy (like under 50, maybe), he probably won't give a poo poo. Odds are pretty good that regardless, the closest to anything genuinely inappropriate is the fact you're trying to tell him his taste in music sucks.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 18, 2012

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm giving blood tomorrow, and it's been about 7 years since I last gave so I'm a bit rusty. I'm scheduled to donate at 10:00 AM, so is there anything I should do besides eat something for breakfast? Drink plenty of water perhaps? Avoid IV drugs?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm giving blood tomorrow, and it's been about 7 years since I last gave so I'm a bit rusty. I'm scheduled to donate at 10:00 AM, so is there anything I should do besides eat something for breakfast? Drink plenty of water perhaps? Avoid IV drugs?
Eat foods that are high in iron. Drinking orange juice along with them will help you to absorb it better. I'm not sure how much good it will be now, usually they recommend you do it for the week beforehand if you have lower iron levels. I've never had a problem with iron, but I know some people who have. Wear a short-sleeved shirt for convenience. If you give at the Red Cross, they'll want a donor card or photo ID. You'll have to answer lots of questions to pre-screen you for anything harmful that might be in your blood. You'll want to drink water afterward so your body can quickly replenish the plasma. I give blood about every two months if you have any more questions.

Harold Ramis Drugs
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I made an ultra-obnoxious MySpace profile for myself back in freshman year, and it keeps coming back to haunt me whenever I (and presumably anybody else) googles my name. Of course, I've long forgotten the password by now so I can't just delete it. Do any of you know how to make this go away?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Harold Ramis Drugs posted:

I made an ultra-obnoxious MySpace profile for myself back in freshman year, and it keeps coming back to haunt me whenever I (and presumably anybody else) googles my name. Of course, I've long forgotten the password by now so I can't just delete it. Do any of you know how to make this go away?
Can't retrieve the password through the e-mail address you used to set up the account?

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

Contact MySpace and ask them to take it down. This is your best bet, but I have no clue how useful MySpace support is.

If they don't, you might attempt to have another page of yours have a higher rating on Google. This will usually be as simple as posting your Facebook on a few other profile pages of yours (more links to your Facebook => higher Google result).

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Try asking MySpace to remove it, or at least stop it from being searchable.
Next, go here and ask Google to stop including it in their results; as long as it's no longer being crawled (which is what you want to ask MySpace to do, if they can't delete it), it won't show up the next time Google queries it. Or somethin'.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I had to lock an old myspace account once and I seem to remember it involves emailing a picture of yourself holding a piece of paper with your account info on it.

Screwy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

Looks like their router is causing some issues... it turns out I couldn't load anything on youtube on my own computer either, but once I plugged directly into their cable modem it works fine. I'll gently caress around with it tomorrow.

FWIW, I updated the firmware on their router, and everything seems to be working great now.