Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I met up with a friend for lunch today, and he wanted to go into Gamestop for a few things after words. Despite firmly believing that Dark Souls and replaying Red Dead Redemption would hold me over till Max Payne and Dragons Dogma I walked out with Yakuza 3 because of this thread.

I hope you're all proud of yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

How have I never heard of this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1HlYTukh9A&feature=youtu.be
Well, that is the debut trailer and it only came out today. Pretty impressive looking, but can Bethesda make a game with a tight and engaging combat system?

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, that is the debut trailer and it only came out today. Pretty impressive looking, but can Bethesda make a game with a tight and engaging combat system?

It is made by the guys who did Dark Messiah of Might and Magic so i dont't think you have ro worry about that.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I read about Dishonoured in a copy of Game Informer a few months back.

The concept looks great and I'm looking forward to see some actual in game footage.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm not ashamed to admit that part of what I like about it seems to be the marriage of all things beloved and wished for by nerds;

Steam punk
Assassinry
Victorian
Dystopian future
Parkour
Protagonist with "Evil" mask look.

It's pandering as gently caress... And so far, I love it. :)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Puddin posted:

I read about Dishonoured in a copy of Game Informer a few months back.

The concept looks great and I'm looking forward to see some actual in game footage.
It almost looks like the game that Singularity desperately wanted to be. Vaguely similar technomagic'y stuff going on, similar looking tech, etc.

... and considering the team driving this one, I'd really hope that they're able to pull it off. To this day, I will defend the inherent funness of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. That game was a hoot, and with some of the best melee/magic multiplayer I've ever seen. With an actual budget and not having been rushed, the game would have been fantastic :shobon:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 18, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Final Fantasy 13-2 is down to $30, which I think is a low enough price point for me to grab it.

I have no desire to go back to 13 though. Anyone care to tell me what I need to know from it for 13-2?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Final Fantasy 13-2 is down to $30, which I think is a low enough price point for me to grab it.

I have no desire to go back to 13 though. Anyone care to tell me what I need to know from it for 13-2?
A bad god-thing tried to destroy all humans for some vague reason but the heroes stopped it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Aphrodite posted:

You're a week too late from getting 13-2 for $15 :(. That was low enough for me to grab it.

I'm having fun with it so far, I guess. The story is absolute garbage, so don't worry if you haven't finished 13. They have a primer built in the game though that explains the events of 13 chapter by chapter. The third party monster slot makes it more fun than it should be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Harlock posted:

You're a week too late from getting 13-2 for $15 :(. That was low enough for me to grab it.

I'm having fun with it so far, I guess. The story is absolute garbage, so don't worry if you haven't finished 13. They have a primer built in the game though that explains the events of 13 chapter by chapter. The third party monster slot makes it more fun than it should be.

I'm in Canada, so I don't think that deal came here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

A bad god-thing tried to destroy all humans for some vague reason but the heroes stopped it.

The plot to every single Japanese RPG and anime.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Exactly

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

The plot to every single Japanese RPG and anime.
Guess I should have used sarcasm tags or something.

The plot of 13 is nonsense, even more so than usual for JRPGs, and the only character I liked, Sazh, is apparently all but absent in 13-2.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Spincut posted:

How is the White Knight Chronicles series? I saw a copy of WKC2 a Cooke of days ago and saw it comes with the entire first game as well? And I want to say it was really cheap too? Are they good budget RPGs?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: It's got a vaguely interesting spin on the ATB system, some good multiplayer support, and a kind of neat build-your-own-village system, not to mention a whole lot of content to slog through. But it's also a very boring, very badly-written, plodding grind of a game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey, Ubisoft. You know what's a really loving bad idea?

Having your shiny new beta hard lock your PS3 when signing into your loving servers. 3 attempts led to 3 locks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Hey, Ubisoft. You know what's a really loving bad idea?

Having your shiny new beta hard lock your PS3 when signing into your loving servers. 3 attempts led to 3 locks.

The beta isn't up for 2 days. You probably should have read that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Aphrodite posted:

The beta isn't up for 2 days. You probably should have read that.

There's absolutely nothing about the beta on the PSN that suggests it has a server activation date. The product description just gives a generic "hey download this thing" , the ads all have the same deal, and nothing in the beta itself indicates that.

If Ubisoft wanted people not to try and log into their new beta, maybe they could have actually written so in the description? Don't know why not being able to find a server would cause the PS3 itself to lock up, as usually not finding a server for most games gives me a "could not connect" or "the servers were closed as of..." error message.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Stelas posted:

Short answer: no.

Long answer: It's got a vaguely interesting spin on the ATB system, some good multiplayer support, and a kind of neat build-your-own-village system, not to mention a whole lot of content to slog through. But it's also a very boring, very badly-written, plodding grind of a game.

And there is a distinct lack of trolls. :v:

I agree with everything that Stelas said, but I had fun in my first playthrough.

Not enough to sit into another one, though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Whoever came up with the insane challenges for some of the trophies in The Darkness II needs a loving punch in the face. This "Shoot thirteen bottles in ten seconds" is impossible loving bullshit.

Edit: I've spent over an hour on this poo poo and my blood pressure's about to go through the roof. I'm going to give myself some time to cool off but I think this poo poo has soured me on the entire loving game. Probably sending it back to Gamefly.

...! fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 18, 2012

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

...! posted:

Whoever came up with the insane challenges for some of the trophies in The Darkness II needs a loving punch in the face. This "Shoot thirteen bottles in ten seconds" is impossible loving bullshit.

Edit: I've spent over an hour on this poo poo and my blood pressure's about to go through the roof. I'm going to give myself some time to cool off but I think this poo poo has soured me on the entire loving game. Probably sending it back to Gamefly.

Just accept that you're not good enough and finish the game. Its a good game!

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

...! posted:

Haha its a good game very much worth playing. I like achievements too but I've never let one stop me from finishing a game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Dishonor looks like a game that really should be third person to me. I wonder if they are going first-person for creative reasons, or because it's publisher mandated.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HardDisk posted:

I agree with everything that Stelas said, but I had fun in my first playthrough.

Oh, yeah, I had fun in my first playthrough, too, and took the sequel to after-game content. It's just that it's that sort of fun where you look back and go 'I really only did that because the game was there and I'm a masochist when it comes to grinding out XP bars, didn't I?'

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So PS+ downloaded and installed the Ghost Recon Beta without asking me first which I find a little disconcerting. I'm all for it installing patches and installing games that I've downloaded but haven't bothered installing but to just assume that I want this beta and to download and install it is a bit annoying to me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

axleblaze posted:

So PS+ downloaded and installed the Ghost Recon Beta without asking me first which I find a little disconcerting. I'm all for it installing patches and installing games that I've downloaded but haven't bothered installing but to just assume that I want this beta and to download and install it is a bit annoying to me.

That's in the options.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

notZaar posted:

Dishonor looks like a game that really should be third person to me. I wonder if they are going first-person for creative reasons, or because it's publisher mandated.

Arkane Studios has more experience with first person games and making melee combat interesting in first person. I would assume that's why.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

That's in the options.

Where? The only option I see says "Starts the system automatically and downloads game patches, uploads new save data to online storage and syncs trophy information with the server". Nowhere does that mention "downloads entire games you may or may not want".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Where? The only option I see says "Starts the system automatically and downloads game patches, uploads new save data to online storage and syncs trophy information with the server". Nowhere does that mention "downloads entire games you may or may not want".

I don't remember the category name, but there are automatic upload/download settings. One of them is to automatically download recommended games (and videos, though that may be a separate option.)

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

axleblaze posted:

Under system settings once you've set the time you want automatic updates to run you can pick what you want it to get, patches, system software, games and videos and trophy info, I assume if you turn off games you won't get stuff like that

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Thanks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I won't sit here and pretend Sniper Elite V2 is a GREAT game. But the demo SURE IS SATISFYING!!

I shot a guy sideways through the temple, at like 450 feet... accounting for bullet drop and wind... and it went through both his eyeballs.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Best Buy
RE: Racoon City Special Edition $29.99

Must have really tanked.

Sniper Elite's sniping (oy) is the real strong part of the game. Once it gets you involved with close quarters combat, it just falls apart in how fun it is.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Code Jockey posted:

I wonder if I can ever go back to a GTA game after the glory that was Saints Row 3

Saints Row 3 wasn't even better than Saints Row 2, let alone any GTA game

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Feenix posted:

I won't sit here and pretend Sniper Elite V2 is a GREAT game. But the demo SURE IS SATISFYING!!

I shot a guy sideways through the temple, at like 450 feet... accounting for bullet drop and wind... and it went through both his eyeballs.

My best shot was the sniper in the first part all the way across the map, I didn't really account for drop as much as I should and when I shot it followed the bullet across the entire map and directly through both of his testicles which burst on impact. Not only was I laughing hysterically because they actually made testicles which you can shoot off but after following that bullet across the map and have it land perfectly between the snipers' legs was amazing..

If you can shoot Hitler's balls off I might have to preorder this.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

explosivo posted:

If you can shoot Hitler's balls off I might have to preorder this.
Ball, singular :colbert:

I really enjoyed Sniper Elite despite its shortcomings (and having my save file overwritten several times by jerks), looking forward to the sequel. Nailing a long range shot and taking in the accompanying slow motion sequence is one of the most satisfying moments in gaming, as is blowing the hell out of the soldiers who rush your position with your carefully laid trip mines.

Tokyo Incident fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 18, 2012

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ElwoodCuse posted:

Saints Row 3 wasn't even better than Saints Row 2, let alone any GTA game

What makes you say that? Maybe plot-wise and personality-wise, sure, but I had more fun playing SR3 than I did playing GTA4. I feel like SR2's tone with SR3's gameplay upgrades would be a pretty perfect sandbox game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
So does anybody know anything about Prototype 2? I was surprised when I noticed it's coming out next week and nobody even made a thread for it.

Apparently the reason it took so long to make was that they wrote a new engine for it, and it does show. Buildings seem much more detailed and less blocky than they were in the first.

Also you can now tear missile pods off APCs and helicopters and shoot things with them, and cut the arms off hunters and use them as projectiles.

I'll probably get it since there's still a month before Diablo 3 and Dragon's Dogma come out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a thread, actually.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Speaking of GTA games, how do the side-stories hold up? I see that the Lost and Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony are bundled as stand-alones up on PSN and I heard that they're much better than the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

yellowcar posted:

Speaking of GTA games, how do the side-stories hold up? I see that the Lost and Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony are bundled as stand-alones up on PSN and I heard that they're much better than the base game.

I personally didn't like Lost and the Damned. The story seemed pretty tedious and didn't feel up to snuff. I also seem to remember not being impressed by the motorcycles (and I loved the motorcycles in GTA:SA). I recall thinking Gay Tony was much better by comparison. Seemed there was more to do and the story was more engaging.

Compared to the base game, I think the storyline in LatD was worse and I'm a bit fuzzy but I think Gay Tony was generally better.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 18, 2012

• Locked thread