Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Mt. Modular posted:

I almost feel like the entire Italians Do It Better collective deserves their own thread, but I've been a bit obsessed with them lately. The timing couldn't be better, of course, with the just-released new Chromatics album Kill for Love. Is anyone else absolutely in love with this right now?

If not, go here and listen to some of these amazing songs (and then buy the album immediatley):

http://soundcloud.com/johnnyjewel
It's reeeeeeeeeally good. One of the best albums I've heard in a while, and it got me to watch Drive--which is also really good.

I had actually never heard of Chromatics, Johnny Jewel, or Italians Do It Better till I stumbled across a review of Kill For Love on Stereogum a day or two after the album was released. The more ambient portions of the album tend to drag a bit, but they're cool in their own right.

But yeah, album is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The new Chromatics is good, but am I a jerk for admitting that I just don't think it's as good as everyone else? I think it's good, like, I'm glad I got it, but everyone else seems ready to put it on the album of the year shortlist, and I'm just not that in awe of it. (e: I can't quantify music for poo poo in text, so put a number on it, it's like an 8/10, I'm just not jaw-dropped by it.)

The new Spiritualized is getting such rave reviews that I am FINALLY going to dip into the back catalog. Their discography's been staring me in the face for years and there's always been time to get into it later, but now it's time to find out what's up.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 11, 2012

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The new Chromatics is good, but am I a jerk for admitting that I just don't think it's as good as everyone else? I think it's good, like, I'm glad I got it, but everyone else seems ready to put it on the album of the year shortlist, and I'm just not that in awe of it. (e: I can't quantify music for poo poo in text, so put a number on it, it's like an 8/10, I'm just not jaw-dropped by it.)

I'm agreeing with this. The sound is really awesome and some tracks are definitely great, but the entire album is way too long and some of the more atmospheric drones don't really seem to go anywhere.

The new Spiritualized is great however; has a really airy and light-hearted tone to it even though the instrumentation is subtly grandiose.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone see Cults live? How were they? I'm going to see Deathcab for Cutie (which I'm not that excited for because their last cd was really boring, but have loved them since middle school) on Sunday and Cults plays on Monday.

On the topic of Spiritualized, just relistened to "Ladies and Gentlemen..." yesterday and forgot how good it was. I don't remember when I first heard it but a few of the songs waxed nostalgic for me. Might have to try and see them this summer.

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010

Moon Atari posted:

Possibly everyone already knows about Wild Beasts since they've been gaining in popularity lately, but I haven't seen them mentioned anywhere around here and they are too good not to share. The closest act that I can think to compare their sound to is probably Elbow, but with more of an electronic feel. The latest album Smother(2011) is the best place to start; I recommend listening to it in order as the concept/story it tells is vital to enjoying it. It has a theme of dark, obsessive love that makes me think of Lolita (although that may just be because I read it recently).

Here are some of the standout tracks from the album:
Bed of Nails
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZaevasFRUg&ob=av2e
Loop the Loop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r07We_E355g&feature=related
End come too soon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv1RRV_Iov8

I saw Wild Beasts play before I really knew about them, back when they were touring Two Dancers, and I'm still kicking myself for not giving them my undivided attention. :doh: Luckily, I saw them play last year at Manchester Cathedral. The perfect venue for them, and possibly one of the best gigs I've ever seen.

Anyone who enjoyed the last two Wild Beasts albums should check out the new I Like Trains record, The Shallows. They're all produced by the same guy and it has a similar kind of electronic feel to it. Pre-order it from their website and you get an instant download of the whole thing. :)

Stream lead single Mnemosyne here:
http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/track-of-the-day-283-i-like-trains

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Washington DC band Jukebox the Ghost just put out a new single, and it's amazing. They've been compared to Phoenix a lot, but that's mildly disingenuous beyond the occasional dance-y beat. Give 'em a listen if you like upbeat/poppy indie stuff.

The new single ("Somebody"): http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2012/04/09/150123340/jukebox-the-ghosts-hopeful-longing-you-can-dance-to
Their site, streaming older songs: http://jukeboxtheghost.com/site

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pksage posted:

Washington DC band Jukebox the Ghost just put out a new single, and it's amazing. They've been compared to Phoenix a lot, but that's mildly disingenuous beyond the occasional dance-y beat. Give 'em a listen if you like upbeat/poppy indie stuff.

The new single ("Somebody"): http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2012/04/09/150123340/jukebox-the-ghosts-hopeful-longing-you-can-dance-to
Their site, streaming older songs: http://jukeboxtheghost.com/site

This is really awesome, it's like a combination of Fun. and the voice of John Darnielle.

surfpenguin
Mar 18, 2009
I heard the song "Ho Hey," by The Lumineers a while back on my local indie radio station and I became pretty infatuated with the available songs on grooveshark. They recently released their first full album on April 3 and I'm been listening to it like crazy. Especially digging "Stubborn Love," and "Big Parade." Hopefully I can get to their show in Chapel Hill later this April, but grad school dependent.

Here's a short description from the site: "The roots revival of the last few years has primed listeners for a new generation of rustic, heart-on-the-sleeve music—the kind that nods to tradition while setting off into uncharted territory. The Lumineers walk that line with an unerring gift for timeless melodies and soul-stirring lyrics."

They're from Denver and you can listen to their entire album on their website: http://thelumineers.com/

surfpenguin fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 11, 2012

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

edit; never mind

global tetrahedron fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 12, 2012

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

surfpenguin posted:

I heard the song "Ho Hey," by The Lumineers a while back on my local indie radio station and I became pretty infatuated with the available songs on grooveshark. They recently released their first full album on April 3 and I'm been listening to it like crazy. Especially digging "Stubborn Love," and "Big Parade." Hopefully I can get to their show in Chapel Hill later this April, but grad school dependent.

Here's a short description from the site: "The roots revival of the last few years has primed listeners for a new generation of rustic, heart-on-the-sleeve music—the kind that nods to tradition while setting off into uncharted territory. The Lumineers walk that line with an unerring gift for timeless melodies and soul-stirring lyrics."

They're from Denver and you can listen to their entire album on their website: http://thelumineers.com/

Checking this out on rdio now and so far it is amazing. Thanks for the suggestion

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/08/149860995/first-listen-spiritualized-sweet-heart-sweet-light

:stare:

New Spiritualized. It's amazing.

I've only listened to it once so far but :drat: this is amazing, especially the last three songs. Between this and the new Sigur Ros album coming out in May, it's going to be a good spring.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
I bought Sweet Heart Sweet Light today and I felt really sad during the transaction as I suspect it will be the last new Spiritualized album I'll ever get to buy. It does seem like Jason is heading for the knackers yard pretty soon. Anyone in America should try and go see him play whilst you can.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

New Spiritualized is great, but the album cover is pretty high up there in the General Shoddiness category:

Musical Mind
Apr 17, 2012
Some random bits of unpopular people's music I've come across!

White Magic - http://youtu.be/9RqhioPOOmQ

Tunng - http://youtu.be/u9w2JzokRfc

A Sunshine Fix - http://youtu.be/hPLkZzNkbKU

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Beep Street posted:

I bought Sweet Heart Sweet Light today and I felt really sad during the transaction as I suspect it will be the last new Spiritualized album I'll ever get to buy. It does seem like Jason is heading for the knackers yard pretty soon. Anyone in America should try and go see him play whilst you can.

I'm seeing him May 22nd. Will it be good?

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

LtTennisBall posted:

I'm seeing him May 22nd. Will it be good?
Indeed it will, I just saw him in March and it was amazing. Anytime I've seen him it has been totally awesome.

So after a day of listening to Sweet Heart Sweet Light on repeat I've decided I totally love it.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Why are you saying he's gonna die? I thought he kinda turned around his health issues, and he seems pretty much fine in his recent interviews.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Musical Mind posted:

Tunng - http://youtu.be/u9w2JzokRfc
I was pretty seriously unimpressed when I bought their album "Mother's Daughter." They're not terrible, but there's so much better indie folk out there, and they never really manage to do the folktronica thing properly. It's just vaguely Iron and Wine-ish with some electronics occasionally. Anyone interested in that folk-electronic sound, though, should check out The Books and Dosh.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 18, 2012

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I know being under Warner Bros. Records technically disqualifies him from being "indie", but I think Eric Hutchinson deserves a mention in this thread. For someone under a major label, I feel like barely anyone knows about him apart from fans. Plus, he released his first album independently before he gained some exposure from a certain celebrity gossip. Still, I've only ever heard one song of his on the radio, and only once.

His new album released today, and Warner Bros. has all the songs available on one Youtube video. If you like blending of pop, rock, folk, and soul, and/or you love feelgood music, this guy is for you.

He's also pretty funny.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I was pretty seriously unimpressed when I bought their album "Mother's Daughter." They're not terrible, but there's so much better indie folk out there, and they never really manage to do the folktronica thing properly. It's just vaguely Iron and Wine-ish with some electronics occasionally. Anyone interested in that folk-electronic sound, though, should check out The Books and Dosh.

A friend of mine recommended it right when it came out and I wasn't that impressed either. Some tracks are really bland but I'll be damned if "surprise me 44" has one of the coolest beats around.

Musical Mind
Apr 17, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm actually a big fan of The Books. I really love the song Smells Like Content. Never listened to Dosh, but now I have. Thank you!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Musical Mind posted:

I'm actually a big fan of The Books. I really love the song Smells Like Content. Never listened to Dosh, but now I have. Thank you!
You should also check out Zammuto's new solo album, it's excellent. And his old pre-Books album Willscher if you can track down a copy. It's interesting minimalist electronica stuff with lots of clicking for nerds.

Lblitzer posted:

A friend of mine recommended it right when it came out and I wasn't that impressed either. Some tracks are really bland but I'll be damned if "surprise me 44" has one of the coolest beats around.
This was the song that made me buy their album. The rest of the album just doesn't match up.

Edit: This is my favorite Willscher track.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 18, 2012

Orillion
Jun 14, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Pretty much my thoughts. Taken separately, the songs are really good but i can't listen to the whole album, it's pretty monotonous in the end.

And now for something completely different, which i'm pretty sure has already been talked about (but it's a great album so it deserves one more, albeit terrible, post about it): what do you think of the last Chairlift?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Orillion posted:

Pretty much my thoughts. Taken separately, the songs are really good but i can't listen to the whole album, it's pretty monotonous in the end.
Oh boy, oh boy, then teehee, are you going to love this. I wanted to make this post 2 hours ago, but work's been hectic.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The new Chromatics is good, but am I a jerk for admitting that I just don't think it's as good as everyone else?
I wanted to formally and publicly apologize to Mt. Modular and Gio for the egregious lies contained in this statement. This album has thoroughly burrowed itself into my brain. I can't even put my finger on it, the tracks are so simple. Even the worst moment on the album (the voicemail), is good because you're counting down til it's over because you just know poo poo's gonna groove when it's over. I change my vote, it's not a meh 8, it's a strong, stroooong 8, touching on a 9. This is great.

I am, however, the only person left on the planet who hasn't checked out that Chairlift LP yet!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Y'all should be listening to Yuck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz7vyrFhFE8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89UNel7Fav4&feature=related

and Mother Mother:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oIM3E6LyGQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50LShhlkTfw

Katina
May 3, 2009

Orillion posted:

And now for something completely different, which i'm pretty sure has already been talked about (but it's a great album so it deserves one more, albeit terrible, post about it): what do you think of the last Chairlift?

I actually just bought it yesterday after being unable to stop listening to it for ages. I'm mostly incredibly impressed; the songs are very diverse, the lyrical content is interesting, the sounds and mix are lovely, and it's catchy enough to demand immediate re-listens. Her vocal range is drat impressive too, and I think the vocal really makes the album stand out. My favourite track by far is Cool as Fire which is amazing but overall I would have liked to see more experimentation with moods/track lengths.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

global tetrahedron posted:

Why are you saying he's gonna die? I thought he kinda turned around his health issues, and he seems pretty much fine in his recent interviews.
He said in interviews his liver was almost gone. Unless you get a transplant you can't turn around a scarred liver. He might be doing ok right now but it's a progressive disease.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yuck is super great.

If you like Yuck, Cloud Nothings' first album is cool.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh boy, oh boy, then teehee, are you going to love this. I wanted to make this post 2 hours ago, but work's been hectic.

I wanted to formally and publicly apologize to Mt. Modular and Gio for the egregious lies contained in this statement. This album has thoroughly burrowed itself into my brain. I can't even put my finger on it, the tracks are so simple. Even the worst moment on the album (the voicemail), is good because you're counting down til it's over because you just know poo poo's gonna groove when it's over. I change my vote, it's not a meh 8, it's a strong, stroooong 8, touching on a 9. This is great.

I am, however, the only person left on the planet who hasn't checked out that Chairlift LP yet!

Haha, you know...when you originally posted your reaction a week or two, I was going to make a comment in defense of the album and how much time I had invested in the album before I really loved it, but I decided against it - figuring that maybe I should accept the fact that other people didn't like it as much as I did.

But that said...I'm glad you've come around. Yeah, I've still not stopped listening to this album. The best part of it is that every time I listen to it, there's a new song that becomes my "favorite." Right now, for example, it's "Birds of Paradise."

For anyone on the fence about this album...give it some time, if you can.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I was in a cafeteria yesterday, listening to the Chromatics, in awe of something so simple being so good, when I realized, oh hey, Mt. Modular loved it, and he's on my last.fm, let's see how many times he's listened to it.

Man, you have heard the hell out of this album!

And yes, yes, yes, yes, Birds of Paradise, that's a standout. Also, nods to A Matter of Time, Into the Black and There's a Light. Fantastic, one and all.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Holy poo poo you guys aren't kidding about the Chromatics, first 10 seconds into the album and I am hooked.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I was in a cafeteria yesterday, listening to the Chromatics, in awe of something so simple being so good, when I realized, oh hey, Mt. Modular loved it, and he's on my last.fm, let's see how many times he's listened to it.

Man, you have heard the hell out of this album!

And yes, yes, yes, yes, Birds of Paradise, that's a standout. Also, nods to A Matter of Time, Into the Black and There's a Light. Fantastic, one and all.

Ha, that's sadly not even the tip of the iceburg. I listen to the thing in my car and on my Kindle Fire, too, neither of which scrobble. If they did...ugh, I don't even want to know. I think I've earned enough Frequent Listener Miles to have lunch with Johnny Jewel now.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm only a few songs into the album but I'm kind of surprised by a cover as the first track. A really boring cover to a really good song. The 2nd track picks up a bit and has good some good lyrics and a catchy melody but it's not grabbing me much and comes off as a bit boring.

I'll give this album a good try or two until I make anymore assumptions, as I've never listened to Chromatics before (got them confused with the electronic artist Chromeo).

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

Also, I could have sworn there was a discussion somewhere about Death Grips already, but I can't find it now (maybe I imagined it or it was on another thread/message board). Has anyone listened to these guys yet? It's like...post-apocalyptic noise rap or something. It's good...but it's weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W43aQxzjyeM

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mt. Modular posted:

Also, I could have sworn there was a discussion somewhere about Death Grips already, but I can't find it now (maybe I imagined it or it was on another thread/message board). Has anyone listened to these guys yet? It's like...post-apocalyptic noise rap or something. It's good...but it's weird.

Hahaha now this I love, and produced by Zach Hill who's one of my favorite musicians! I thought it sounded somewhat reminiscent of his solo albums. They're coming to Minneapolis this summer and I am definitely going to try and see this.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 19, 2012

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Oh man the FORTRESS album by Miniature Tigers has this terribly photoshoped bra on it on last.fm and its hilarious.

http://www.last.fm/music/Miniature+Tigers/FORTRESS

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Davincie posted:

Oh man the FORTRESS album by Miniature Tigers has this terribly photoshoped bra on it on last.fm and its hilarious.

http://www.last.fm/music/Miniature+Tigers/FORTRESS

For me, Miniature Tigers are the epitome of bands that had fantastic first albums and then just put out poo poo afterwards. I hate their newer stuff for some reason.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Mt. Modular posted:

I don't exactly know if they belong in here, but I agree that they are pretty loving awesome. They defeinitely need some time to grow on you though, I hated them the first time I heard them, but my friend was insistent they were great. And lo and behold, they are one of my current favourite things to listen to. I encourage everyone to give them a shot!

Content:
Everyone check out The Dudes. They are a pretty great local band.

This song is pretty great. And the video is awesome, to boot.

This one too

BITCHTITS
Oct 22, 2003

Perry'd

Gio posted:

It's reeeeeeeeeally good. One of the best albums I've heard in a while, and it got me to watch Drive--which is also really good.

I had actually never heard of Chromatics, Johnny Jewel, or Italians Do It Better till I stumbled across a review of Kill For Love on Stereogum a day or two after the album was released. The more ambient portions of the album tend to drag a bit, but they're cool in their own right.

But yeah, album is great.

Oh my god, just posting to say this is so true. Just finished listening to this album for the 5th time in the last 48 hours and it is badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

How much of the new Spiritualized album is about how awesome heroin is or just about heroin in general? If I ever hear "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space" (the album or just that line from the album) again I will probably buy all the opiates in the world and then take them and die, so I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

I miss hearing that as I was coming up (and I miss coming up), but c'est la héroïne.