Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

GreatKesh posted:

How does the GPS on the TF101 work? Do I need an app/internet access to use it or does it work like a GPS you can buy for a car that plugs into the cigarette lighter thing?

If you want to use navigation or maps without internet, you'll need an app that can download maps to your phone. Google maps can cache some stuff, but it's hard to rely on that. I use copilot gps and it works like a champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Frozen-Solid posted:

If you want to use navigation or maps without internet, you'll need an app that can download maps to your phone. Google maps can cache some stuff, but it's hard to rely on that. I use copilot gps and it works like a champ.

I use google navigation on my asus transformer prime. I need to tether to my phone for map data anyway so I also tether my phone's GPS. No need for GPS on the transformer and leaves the charging port open.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

I use google navigation on my asus transformer prime. I need to tether to my phone for map data anyway so I also tether my phone's GPS. No need for GPS on the transformer and leaves the charging port open.

Yeah if you tether there's no reason to be worried about not having maps on the fly. TetherGPS is awesome.

However, if you're in the middle of nowhere and don't have cell service (such as the stretch of route 66 between Albuquerque, NM and Amarillo, TX) it doesn't do you much good. But even then, you can still TetherGPS for the GPS data and use something like Copilot to get you by.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

Frozen-Solid posted:

Yeah if you tether there's no reason to be worried about not having maps on the fly. TetherGPS is awesome.

However, if you're in the middle of nowhere and don't have cell service (such as the stretch of route 66 between Albuquerque, NM and Amarillo, TX) it doesn't do you much good. But even then, you can still TetherGPS for the GPS data and use something like Copilot to get you by.

I just made this drive and Google maps sufficiently cached enough in advanced that I never had issues during times of dropped reception.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
My friend at work is willing to buy my ipad2 for $450, should I keep it or sell it and get a a510?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dirk Pitt posted:

My friend at work is willing to buy my ipad2 for $450, should I keep it or sell it and get a a510?
Keep it.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Dirk Pitt posted:

Alternately, if you like the iPad2, sell it and get an iPad3.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Dirk Pitt posted:

which version is it? If you're getting $450 on certain models that's a pretty good offer and you should consider jumping on it (and then using that money to buy an iPad 3).

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Dirk Pitt posted:

Sell it, yes. But maybe you should use the money to get the new iPad.

But its your money! If you want to spend it on an android tablet then more power to you.

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 19, 2012

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
So the new Transformer Pad is supposed to be a 'budget" version of the Transformer Prime? Aside from a plastic housing instead of metal what else is supposed to be different?

b0nes fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 19, 2012

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
It's probably worth keeping or getting the new iPad if only for the sunk cost of your purchased iOS apps.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

got dat wmd posted:

It's probably worth keeping or getting the new iPad if only for the sunk cost of your purchased iOS apps.

plus accessories, since almost everything 2 works on the new iPad, aside from a few things here and there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

b0nes posted:

I am confused. So there are 3 versions of the Transformer correct? The original: TF101, the new metal one with the problematic GPS: TF201, then the new plastic Transformer?
Don't forget the Transformer TF700 that they showed at CES: 1080p screen, Tegra 3, and completely unknown release date and price.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Don't forget the Transformer TF700 that they showed at CES: 1080p screen, Tegra 3, and completely unknown release date and price.
It's actually 1920x1200, not 1080p. :spergin:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I have about $20 sunk in apps on iPad. Not enough to make a huge difference.

I am just in a mood for something different from iPad to be quite honest. I like my Galaxy Nexus and thought I would give android a chance.

I haven't found much mention, but is the 8.9" galaxy tablet worth looking into?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

b0nes posted:

So the new Transformer Pad is supposed to be a 'budget" version of the Transformer Prime? Aside from a plastic housing instead of metal what else is supposed to be different?

It's using a different screen type (IPS instead of "Super IPS", whatever that means), it will come in 8G capacity (the 201 is 16G), plastic back, and supposedly functioning GPS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's actually 1920x1200, not 1080p. :spergin:
Thanks. I wouldn't want to spread incorrect information about a vaporware product.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Dirk Pitt posted:

I haven't found much mention, but is the 8.9" galaxy tablet worth looking into?

The Wifi version has the lovely Tegra 2 processor, so I wouldn't recommend that. You can find the AT&T LTE version for around $350 used if you look around on ebay or craigslist. It is bogged down with bloatware, though.

I use the LTE version, and it is okay. You could wait for the Galaxy Tab 2 (7" and 10.1") for the better processors and Ice Cream Sandwich. They are coming out within a month (at least the 7" is), so it isn't too much of a wait if you really want an Android tablet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They announced the 64gb prime would be €599 ($786).

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Crackbone posted:

It's using a different screen type (IPS instead of "Super IPS", whatever that means), it will come in 8G capacity (the 201 is 16G), plastic back, and supposedly functioning GPS.

8G, as in gigabytes? I saw something saying it is coming with 32GB and Tegra 3 for $399.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

b0nes posted:

8G, as in gigabytes? I saw something saying it is coming with 32GB and Tegra 3 for $399.
No, as in it has two 4G radios (HSPA+ and LTE).

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Dirk Pitt posted:

I have about $20 sunk in apps on iPad. Not enough to make a huge difference.

I am just in a mood for something different from iPad to be quite honest. I like my Galaxy Nexus and thought I would give android a chance.
Well if you understand what you're getting into and really want an Android tablet by all means get one.

Do not - DO NOT get anything with a Tegra 2 processor.

If I were in your situation I'd probably be evaluating the new plastic Transformer 300.

Belteshazzar
Oct 4, 2004

我が生涯に
一片の悔い無し
Yeah I'm eyeing the Transformer 300. There's suspiciously little out on it for something that's supposed to ship this weekend, nobody seems to be selling it and basically everyone is copy-pasting this Amazon listing from reputable-sounding seller SPICY BOMB. The official site lists it as 16GB and not 32 so I'm inclined to trust that. Not that it really matters since you can just buy a MicroSD.

The other differences are a regular IPS screen as opposed to Super IPS+ (as I understand it this just means the extra-bright outside mode is gone?), and the CPU clock is 1.2GHz instead of 1.3 on the Prime. I kinda wish they had one with the plastic back but everything else the same though, I don't mind forking over the extra bucks I just want something with working GPS.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
For those of you still experiencing problems with unexpected reboots on the TF101, apparently they're working on it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1556914

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Since the TF201 is still sold out everywhere I'm assuming that all new stock is new production? Has anybody bought one recently and know if the QC has improved in the later models?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

kmcormick9 posted:

Since the TF201 is still sold out everywhere I'm assuming that all new stock is new production? Has anybody bought one recently and know if the QC has improved in the later models?

Any of the newest models should have their issues fixed.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Frozen-Solid posted:

Any of the newest models should have their issues fixed.
so the gps and wifi should both work good?

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

kmcormick9 posted:

Prime new or old is still bonked for many people. Haven't you heard about ASUS passing out GPS dongles to all who has purchased one?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
The new update for cm7 on the nook color is awesome. It's super zippy and stable and the NC is dirt cheap for anyone looking for a tablet without spending a lot (I think it's 169 now?). I would now recommend it without reservation.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy
For those waiting until Sunday for the Galaxy Tab 2, check Micro Center in your area if you have one. They have them in stock and are already selling the device. I picked one up because I've been in the market for an android tablet and the remote feature intrigued me.

I havent used Android in a year, so this is taking a little bit to get used to, but it doesnt seem too bad so far. I need to find a replacement keyboard though because this Samsung one is awful.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

kmcormick9 posted:

Wifi is fixed in the newest builds. GPS needs the dongle (which is free).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The dongle itself, though, is buggy and caused multiple restarts in an hour while some people were reviewing it.

Bonxai
May 2, 2011
So the TF300 comes out this week, right? I've been excited about the TF700 but there still haven't been any updates about it... Should I assume it's not coming out ever or any time soon? If so, I think I'll just pick up a TF300, still a great tablet and you won't hear me complaining about the lower price.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Anyone testing the waters and getting the $250 Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 today? I might go check it out in person later, but I won't be able to afford it until next weekend.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/21/asus-transformer-pad-tf300-review/

TF300 Review

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

quote:

That is not to say that the Transformer Pad is cheaply built, but it almost feels like it’s missing a few screws somewhere. Sure, tablets are not made to be bent or twisted, but I know that if you drop this slate from waist high onto something harder than carpet, you may be out a few hundred dollars. The casing is easily separated from the screen with a fingernail and holding the tablet just isn’t all that fun.

quote:

This sort of ties in with the construction part, but that just wasn’t enough to portray the sense of worry I had when holding the tablet. For example, when firmly (not too firmly) pressing on the backside of the slate, you can see the front display begin to bleed in front from where you are holding it.

Well poo poo.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone testing the waters and getting the $250 Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 today? I might go check it out in person later, but I won't be able to afford it until next weekend.

I've been considering it pretty seriously as a tax return gift to myself. I might try and look at one tomorrow after work. I almost bought a Kindle Fire, but ICS and some lovely cameras have me willing to spend a little more.

I've read generally good things about it, and it would make watching Netflix at work more enjoyable.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 22, 2012

Bonxai
May 2, 2011

zachol posted:

Well poo poo.

Those points do sound worrying, but if they had used metal like with the Prime, there would have been the same wifi problems. I imagine they could both be fixed by putting it in a case too. Here's another review that seems to be saying the opposite of everything the last review posted said:
http://www.slashgear.com/asus-transformer-pad-tf300-review-22223983/

quote:

The qualities that allow this model to cost significantly less than its bigger brother are not bothersome to me, and I see no reason, save for one, why a person wouldn’t just go with this TF300 model over the Transformer Prime.

quote:

After that though, everything on this device is high quality and ready for action. Even the plastic casing which replaces the fabulous ring-spun aluminum on the Prime is of a quality high enough to run with the top tier of the Android tablet world.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bonxai posted:

Those points do sound worrying, but if they had used metal like with the Prime, there would have been the same wifi problems. I imagine they could both be fixed by putting it in a case too. Here's another review that seems to be saying the opposite of everything the last review posted said:
http://www.slashgear.com/asus-transformer-pad-tf300-review-22223983/

The solution (which every other manufacturer seems to have figured out by now) is not to make the entire back out of metal, not change to plastic.

And honestly that Slashgear review is a joke. The reviewer doesn't comment at all on how the plastic body feels, other than to say "it runs with the top tier of android devices", whatever that means.

The other possibility is we're back to the same issue with the Prime where QC isn't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I'm much more concerned about build quality than speeds or specs or whatever. My original TF101 has been great, but it's already starting to wear out. Headphone jack is wonky, bumping it sometimes (?) makes it restart, the dock occasionally just stops working, etc.
I mean I'm a bit rough on it, it's not like the thing was defective, but, at least for the way I use a tablet, "it feels cheap" is a huge red flag. This TF101 didn't feel cheap when I first got it, it felt solid (still mostly does, doesn't flex or anything), so I'd be really worried where something that starts out feeling kinda cheap would end up in a year.