Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

I hope they just buy some sort of fake wrinkles
Or even better, just take a makeup pencil to his face, drawing wrinkles on his forehead and on either side of his mouth. Slap on one of the horribly low-quality old-guy wigs from a Japanese party supply store and you're all set.

I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

shrgnatlas posted:

So, this season is premiering episodes bimonthly? Tonight is a reairing of last week's episode. I just wanted to make sure people understood that tonight episode 137 (Super Chinese) is airing, and that next week episode 138 (Dynamite Headdy) will air.

Further evidence in on the Fuji CS webpage:

Since 137 has already made the rounds in the usual places, I won't be streaming it live tonight. I'll see you guys next week!

The show has always been biweekly as far as I can tell. If I look at original air dates then I see it's been going on a while.

Speaking of Shiren, I think zari-gani is making season 12 a priority once she's done with the work for Discotek (pretty much all of the really great episodes that have not been done yet from before that point are all at least in the planning stages by someone). However, Shiren is a rough episode from a lot of points. It's double length which is never fun. It's text heavy. It would be a big block for when we come back from this break. So she may wind up skipping over it initially and going to Street Fighter 2010 (or another episode if she decides to skip around a bit more; I just want to explain things rather than commit her to anything).

Faroush
Mar 21, 2009

Amashing
Thanks for keeping us up to date Random Stranger, and thanks to everyone making this possible for a job incredibly well done.

You've definitely made this old nerd happy.

Bocc Kob posted:

Regular Arino, but he has a wizard beard.
I really want this to be true.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Is it just me or have the subbed episodes been coming more rarely nowadays? It feels like last year you guys released several a month, maybe you're just busier now or I'm completely misremembering.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

the least weasel posted:

Is it just me or have the subbed episodes been coming more rarely nowadays? It feels like last year you guys released several a month, maybe you're just busier now or I'm completely misremembering.

Yeah, the releases have been slower lately, but as per Random Stranger's post, zari-gani has been busy with official translation work. I know we have some other translators, but zari-gani has been the ace in terms of ripping them out. So I figure we'll have much slower releases until zari-gani finishes the dvd episodes. I don't mind; I mean, the whole point of fansubs are to promote a work so it gets an official venue, no?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I don't know the frequency of releases last year, but it's April and so far we've released 16 episodes this year...plus there are two more translated ones that haven't been released yet. And I started translating for the Game Center CX DVD the beginning of this month. I have until May 1st to do 13 episodes, so I've been busy as all hell (mercifully, three of them are ones I've translated for SAGCCX already).

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I was thinking we've had a ton of releases already. They're going to end up subbing another 20-30% of the show by year's end and remember, the show is still roaring strong so it's always going to be a battle for them because the demand is going to be there for the foreseeable future(and however long they personally want to continue subbing).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If you've already watched everything, convince your friends to watch a few with you. Makes old shows new again!

What're everyone's votes for the best episodes for getting people hooked?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

You could show them the shorter episodes from season 1. one of my favorite episodes is still the one with Angelique Troia.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

I was thinking we've had a ton of releases already. They're going to end up subbing another 20-30% of the show by year's end

We subbed nearly 50% in seven months last year. Things are going to heat up once other GCCX related work is clear.

Right now there are 58 regular episodes left completely unsubbed out of 148. There's more in the various extra sources, of course but the show is well on its way to being completely subtitled.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Gaki No Tsukai's direct download of episode 136 and 137 are of really good quality FLV, probably HQ version. Hope that will be used for their sub.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Doc Hawkins posted:

None. None of my friends cared for the show after watching it. :smith:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Doc Hawkins posted:

I suppose the ones in the OP could be a start. The show didn't really "click" for me, even after watching the whole first season, until I watched the live Mighty Bomb Jack episode. The only problem is that now you'll have to wait for the DVD to show it to anybody...

On the plus side, a proper English-subbed DVD is coming out :D

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy
^^^ also yes, make sure your possible fans are ok with subtitles, or wait for new work ^^^

Doc Hawkins posted:

I found the I had the easiest time asking "what games did you play as a kid?" Got a good friend into the show cause he used to play Out of this World/Another World/Outer World with a friend all the time. We were actually talking about the game a bit and he couldnt remember the name but remember the shadowy cat thing chasing and killing him, and I said to him: just watch this and tell me if it's the same game.

Especially if you have the episode names and just read titles as many as you can as fast as you can and don't stop until they go 'I LOVED THAT GAME!!'

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

PosSibley posted:

^^^ also yes, make sure your possible fans are ok with subtitles, or wait for new work ^^^

I found the I had the easiest time asking "what games did you play as a kid?" Got a good friend into the show cause he used to play Out of this World/Another World/Outer World with a friend all the time. We were actually talking about the game a bit and he couldnt remember the name but remember the shadowy cat thing chasing and killing him, and I said to him: just watch this and tell me if it's the same game.

Especially if you have the episode names and just read titles as many as you can as fast as you can and don't stop until they go 'I LOVED THAT GAME!!'

For me, it was the opposite: something obscure and strange. To be specific, the one that really got me hooked was Battle Golfer Yui. Granted, that was at KOTAK, but then I found this thread and the actually good translations, and I've watched them all since.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

TokiMemo, Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels... Shadow Lands? It'll give them a good sampling of Arino, and from there you can see what they get into. If they like the ADs, go for the Inoko Trilogy or Adventure Island. If they like the Tama-ge, show them Northern Trip. If they want more of the game challenge, show them Punch Out, Out Of This World, or ActRaiser.

Edit: I'll make note, I got into it via MegaMan 3 and TokiMemo, my girlfriend got into it via TokiMemo and Shadow Lands, and my friend got into it via the USA Special.

Erwin Tuwonwon fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 20, 2012

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think that there is one good episode for getting people hooked on GCCX, it all depends on who you are trying to get interested. One example is with my former roommate, who was never really a big fan of the show until the Bonk's Adventure episode was released. He had fond memories of that game as a child and that worked in it's favor.

My suggestion would be to start with games that the person who's watching might have played. My personal favorite episode is the Lemmings one (not the 24hr one, but the first run through).

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Nakayama's debut in Sonic the Hedgehog should be considered legendary.

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Personally, I'd really like to see the two Shiren the Wanderer (92 & 93) episodes translated. I want to see Arino play a different type of game. The Fire Emblem episode from the Nintendo channel would also be cool.

Discotek has granted part of your wish. From Diskotek's facebook:

quote:

More Retro Game Master Game Center CX news! We're getting 2 more episodes! And they are both 2 part episodes. So in addition to the Mighty Bomb Jack live challenge we will also be adding Ninja Gaiden II: the Dark Sword of Chaos, and Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer. This boxset will be packed! Still hoping for an August release but it may end up September.

The DVDs are shaping up to be even more of a must buy for me.

Shingen fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 20, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I hear that whip cracking, zari-gani! At least one of them is already done and you'll only have to maybe clean things up a little.

Bahustard
Jul 5, 2008

Discotek posted:

More Retro Game Master Game Center CX news! We're getting 2 more episodes! And they are both 2 part episodes. So in addition to the Mighty Bomb Jack live challenge we will also be adding Ninja Gaiden II: the Dark Sword of Chaos, and Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer. This boxset will be packed! Still hoping for an August release but it may end up September.
This is brilliant news; I was kind of hoping to see Shiren, just to see Arino in a completely different genre. I almost wish that the 'bonus' feature of the Kotaku dubs would extend through here; just record a couple of random staff members ad-libbing dialog for the whole thing, either in a Sugoi Squad sort of way, or in something actually resembling the real dialog.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shingen posted:

Discotek has granted part of your wish. From Diskotek's facebook:

The DVDs are shaping up to be even more of a must buy for me.

And naturally Ninja Gaiden 2 is pulled.

I think Discotek could get those episodes because there were already agreements with the publishers and by licensing one year after Kotaku they had one more season available to them.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
One thing about episodes being pulled that I've always questioned is what happens to the extra content? Most likely, what we are getting in replacement is just going to be the challenge itself and not anything else. Would it be possible to edit out the footage of the challenge and just leave the rest? That's pretty much what was done in Gargoyle's Quest II, the licensed stuff was edited out and we got the rest.

That's something that has always irritated me about anti-piracy/licensing stuff is when the customer is asked to pay for an inferior product while the people who choose not play to by the rules get the better item. I'll be buying the DVD's day one, but I think there should be a better way to deal with episodes getting licensed than just removing them completely.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Wait, are all of the Kotaku-licensed episodes challenge section only? That sucks, the field reports are probably my favorite part of the show :(

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Discotek Facebook posted:

Yes that's right. Mere days after I posted here that I don't want to do Shiren the Wanderer, Discotek told me it was added to the mix. You don't know how tempted I was to say "I'll never do Shiren! NEVER!" when it was requested here after the fact :v: At least it gave me incentive to buy the game on DS and try it out. But I won't complain. It had to get done eventually.

Crotch Bat posted:

I hear that whip cracking, zari-gani! At least one of them is already done and you'll only have to maybe clean things up a little.

Well, not quite. I didn't translate Ninja Gaiden II so that will require a complete re-translation.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

Wait, are all of the Kotaku-licensed episodes challenge section only? That sucks, the field reports are probably my favorite part of the show :(

Licensed-out episodes don't feature the field reports. The ones Kotaku put up didn't have them, and the DVD probably won't feature them either. What sucks is that those parts of the show do actually exist, we just have no way to see them unless we watch the raw episodes from somewhere.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Corridor posted:

Licensed-out episodes don't feature the field reports. The ones Kotaku put up didn't have them, and the DVD probably won't feature them either.
As far as I know the Japanese DVDs don't have them either.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

The Kotaku 12/DVD episodes are exactly the same as the Japanese DVD episodes -- challenges only, with some music changes. The DVD releases in Japan are cut like that to begin with. Even in Japan, they can't release a lot of stuff on DVD due to legal reasons.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Vlaphor posted:

I don't think that there is one good episode for getting people hooked on GCCX, it all depends on who you are trying to get interested. One example is with my former roommate, who was never really a big fan of the show until the Bonk's Adventure episode was released. He had fond memories of that game as a child and that worked in it's favor.

My suggestion would be to start with games that the person who's watching might have played. My personal favorite episode is the Lemmings one (not the 24hr one, but the first run through).
Yeah, I have had a similar experience when recommending the series to a friend. They don't express too large an interest if it's some random game they heard about, especially if the game's name is in Japanese and completely unrecognizable to them. I usually just suggest a game people have had common experience with, like the Mario, Metroid and Megaman games. A game they've played is the hook, and the content of the episode will keep (especially Tamage) them hooked~

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Yeah, unfortunately many TV shows have their DVDs gutted in this way. Partly due to music licensing (broadcast vs distribution, different countries), partly image licensing, partly segments that are deemed to be too dependent on region or time of transmission. To borrow the thread's title, Top Gear's DVDs are similarly butchered (as are the retransmissions on Dave), even for the UK release. Substituting the A-Team theme for library muzak hurts. :(

And GCCX does use a lot of incidental music I imagine is very hard to get licensed elsewhere - off the top of my head Toshiba EMI's Dancemania tracks and Disney's stuff might be tricky.

They might still add exclusive content to the DVDs though, that might sweeten the deal.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh god, they're doing Dynamite Headdy? All my dreams have come true!

...and now, of course, the horrible waiting since I only speak english. :ohdear:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

PkerUNO posted:

Yeah, unfortunately many TV shows have their DVDs gutted in this way.

The Beavis and Butt-Head DVD's are a shining example. As far as I know, every DVD episode to date has had every music video segment stripped out due to licensing issues.

But I don't see the issue with the travelogue segments of Game Center, unless you need a specific license to mention a public place by name or something. Maybe it's the fact that they sometimes mention name brand items or show brand logos, anime figures, etc.

VV I don't recall them ever using a mosaic for any brands. A recent episode I watched had Arino winning a huge can of Ritz crackers from a vending machine and spending a good minute or so making puns from the brand name.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 20, 2012

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Tewratomeh posted:

The Beavis and Butt-Head DVD's are a shining example. As far as I know, every DVD episode to date has had every music video segment stripped out due to licensing issues.

But I don't see the issue with the travelogue segments of Game Center, unless you need a specific license to mention a public place by name or something. Maybe it's the fact that they sometimes mention name brand items or show brand logos, anime figures, etc.

I think they usually mosaic out brand names even in the TV show, though. With real-world locations I'm guessing it's more to do with the people they meet - you usually have to sign a release form if you're on camera, and it's likely tracking down all the people they talk to during these segments is too difficult. If in later series they film the TV show with a DVD in mind, it's likely they'll take steps to prevent this from happening.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
So is the entire episode technically licensed, or is there nothing really stopping people besides courtesy from splicing together the extra content? I'm guessing there's some grey area there?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nahxela posted:

Yeah, I have had a similar experience when recommending the series to a friend. They don't express too large an interest if it's some random game they heard about, especially if the game's name is in Japanese and completely unrecognizable to them. I usually just suggest a game people have had common experience with, like the Mario, Metroid and Megaman games. A game they've played is the hook, and the content of the episode will keep (especially Tamage) them hooked~

I'm kind of embarassed to ask this, but what's Tamage anyway?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I think they explained it as slang for 'you should come visit this place sometime'

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006
It's not even slang, really, it's just a shortened version of the Japanese phrase. A lot of names and phrases get that treatment. It's kind like how people make portmanteau couple names for celebrities in English.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

Short for the Japanese name of the arcade trip segments -- "Tama ni iku nara konna geemu-sentaa." Clover gave it a good English equivalent in their subs and called it "SomeGame." SAGCCX just calls them "arcade trips" so anyone can jump into the series and tell what it's referring to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's a Japanese acronym for the "Visit this play sometime" segments. They actually use the term on the show occasionally though we change it to "arcade visit" or something along those lines because it's something that wouldn't make a lot of sense to a new viewer.

On a more amusing note, thanks to a deal on shipping from Japan I went ahead and ordered a lot more games used on the show that I could get for less than 500 yen. I am finally getting a copy of Go, Yuu Yu's Quiz! Go! that I'm sure will be a centerpiece of my collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Licensed episodes can't have SAGCCX versions, but would it be possible to release just the tamage and special sections in them since they're not on the DVD? Or is this considered chancing it?

Obviously translating full episodes would come first, but if there was something particularly memorable...