Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
While the Danish word for 'safe' might be unsafe, imagine how we all feel over here. We didn't have a word for Danish (the pastry) until you guys came along!

I once had to have a chat with HR for a similar loss of manners. We were going through our annual 'sexual harassment' avoidance seminar and the "woman" who was presenting the course started out with something like, "Every 30 seconds in the US a woman is raped in the workplace." Apparently my suggestion of "Perhaps she should ask for a shift change" was the incorrect response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Happy Hat posted:

having a facial expression that cycled between pleased with herself, contempt for my obvious incompliance to company rules, smug and passive aggressive..

Every HR person ever.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Phummus posted:

While the Danish word for 'safe' might be unsafe, imagine how we all feel over here. We didn't have a word for Danish (the pastry) until you guys came along!

I once had to have a chat with HR for a similar loss of manners. We were going through our annual 'sexual harassment' avoidance seminar and the "woman" who was presenting the course started out with something like, "Every 30 seconds in the US a woman is raped in the workplace." Apparently my suggestion of "Perhaps she should ask for a shift change" was the incorrect response.

Seriously? Raped? I'd believe sexually harassed, but raped?

If that's the case, I'd better step my game up, cause no one in my office has been raped in over a week.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
That's why I love the service industry. It's a goddamn rapefest behind the bar.

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Seriously? Raped? I'd believe sexually harassed, but raped?

If that's the case, I'd better step my game up, cause no one in my office has been raped in over a week.

Naaa...this is one of those statistics people who majored in "women's studies" or sociology love to quote. It actually has no relevance in reality. Every thirty seconds is 1,051,200 rapes per year. According to the FBI there were 85,000 rapes or attempted rapes in the US in 2010. They reconcile this by saying something like, "Well, only 1 in 12 is reported, so if there were 85,000 reported that means there were actually 1,050,000. We just never heard about the 965,000 that were not reported."

Welcome to the world of "Soft Sciences".

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

You have terrible opinions.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Vlex posted:

You have terrible opinions.

Hahaha I was going to post the same thing but exited out.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Rurutia posted:

Hahaha I was going to post the same thing but exited out.

This thing has no bearing on reality.

*quotes a bunch of statistics and literally does the math for us*

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Phummus posted:

I think you misunderstood. It's the same woman.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Vlex posted:

This thing has no bearing on reality.

*quotes a bunch of statistics and literally does the math for us*

I am very confused by what you're saying. Who are you talking about anyway? I shoot friendlies? The guy who showed you exactly why the statement "Every 30 seconds in the US a woman is raped in the workplace." is ridiculous?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This is not the place for this derail Jesus Christ I don't believe in beans in chili gently caress you all.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Cast iron is the one true cookware.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Circumcision is wrong.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Costco is a nice place to shop.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Using an SV rig is cheating.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Unless you're a mushroom, stay out of the borscht.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kenning posted:

Costco is a nice place to shop.

Marketing executive spotted. Get out yuppie.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kenning posted:

:words::words::words::words::words::words::words:

So anyway, where were we? Something about rape and sexual harassment statistics...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
What I got from it was that Happy Hat's safeword is `danish' and GWS doesn't believe in the invisible handjob of the marketplace.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
All I got was that CzarChasm's going to divert some human resources to his dick.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I found a really awesome way to improve my top ramen!

I save the soy sauce packets from takeout and then empty them into the pot for an authentic oriental flavor!

Hope this helps all you ramen lovers out there!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Happy Hat's posts should be collected into a single tome, mass produced, and used as a guide to life.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

So anyway, where were we? Something about rape and sexual harassment statistics...

:argh:

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007
Ok, I'm back. What did I miss?

Oh...

Ohhhhhh...

Well, we can console ourselves on the fact that while a derail happens every thirty seconds in GWS, only one in twelve derails actually are reported.

Rurutia posted:

Yes.

(Animal stock and wine are oft used braising liquids, for instance.)

No kidding. That is what I said. The base is wine and stock, but does anyone use only wine and stock? I have never seen anything braised without veggies or veggie juice. Does anyone braise without any aromatics and other vegetable based things in his stock?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I do a pork belly braise that is just soy, sugar, ginger, star anise, garlic and pepper (and some water); I usually do fresh but you could use dried garlic and ginger powder if you wanted to, and then you would only need to strain/not eat the star anise pod

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 19, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I did a braise about two nights ago on some pork ribs that was pretty good - I used 16oz chicken stock, bay leaves, herbs de provence, white pepper, fennel, garlic, shallot, carmelized onion, bit of bacon I browned off. I pressure cooked it for about an hour and a half, strained the liquid, pushed the onion mush through a sieve to help thicken.

I finished the ribs in the oven at 450 to get them golden, made a dark roux, added my cooking liquid for a sort of gravy sauce. sauteed some carrots in more chicken stock and butter, then plated with some sourdough bread and a ladle of gravy. it was really fuckin good.

I used to think I hated 'slow cooking' / braises / stews, but the more I make them on my own terms, the more I come to like them. I think I just hated lovely tasteless 'throw some stew beef in a crockpot with some egg noodles' type "stew" recipes I had when I was a kid. If you spend time developing flavor, they really seem to be pretty decent...

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
HappyHat, please tell me all Danish television is as good as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUZ-e2SkeMI

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

i shoot friendlies posted:

No kidding. That is what I said. The base is wine and stock, but does anyone use only wine and stock? I have never seen anything braised without veggies or veggie juice. Does anyone braise without any aromatics and other vegetable based things in his stock?

...that's what I'm saying. You can braise using only wine and/or stock. Are you this hostile to everyone who tries to answer your questions?

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..

Phummus posted:

It is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEBdjONWYsg

On a related note, I feel like I peaked with my nordic cooking adventures yesterday: Norwegian salmon with a potato/jerusalem artichoke mash and cucumber/ramson salsa!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Phummus posted:

Sadly, the person above me couldn't be more wrong. 98% of Danish TV is poo poo, with poo poo production values, poo poo writing, poo poo concepts. Dumt & Farligt (Stupid & Dangerous) is pretty fun, though.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Phummus posted:

That's just the highlights, it's even better when you watch it. The literal translation of the title of the show is "Stupid and dangerous". I love the fact that they're not even trying to do it "For science" or something like Brainiac, it's just two idiots wrecking a ton of poo poo. There are plenty of times where the safety adviser on the show just gives up.

e: Beaten like a bitch

The thing Aumuller links is "Klovn", a show built 100% on the concept that the more awkward, the better. I don't really find it funny..

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Ah, it hit huffpost, that explains it. I got four facebook messages from US friends asking me if I'd seen it. One of the two idiots in Dumt & Farligt is probably the most experienced stuntman in .dk. I've seen him burn off most of his hair doing a stupid fire stunt once. Looks like he hasn't learned caution in the past 20 years.

food content: I made Heston Blumenthal's Spaghetti Bolognese (from In Search of Perfection) and am thoroughly underwhelmed. Maybe I screwed something up along the way, but it was rather bland.

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..

Darval posted:

The thing Aumuller links is "Klovn", a show built 100% on the concept that the more awkward, the better. I don't really find it funny..

Haha, it's a blatant rip-off of Curb Your Enthusiasm, they even ripped off entire episode plots.. I don't have a tv so I obviously agree with both of you, though that clip always makes me smile :)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dane posted:

food content: I made Heston Blumenthal's Spaghetti Bolognese (from In Search of Perfection) and am thoroughly underwhelmed. Maybe I screwed something up along the way, but it was rather bland.
I'm not expert, but what I've seen from the Fat Duck Cookbook I like Blumenthal on technique, but I'm not to crazy about his actual recipes.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

I'm not expert, but what I've seen from the Fat Duck Cookbook I like Blumenthal on technique, but I'm not to crazy about his actual recipes.

yeah, I gotta third this. I have watched all his shows and have his 'heston at home' book, and was a bit disappointed by it. I'm sure he never personally wrote a single one of his recipes - they have to just be scaled down versions of restaurant/test kitchen dishes, which never translates well.

but, the underlying technique behind his dishes is great. like with the bolognese dish, the key take aways (as I remember, it has been a while) were like that he used star anise to boost meaty flavors in his ragu, and a certain type of pasta that clung to the sauce, and well I guess the fact that he actually made a ragu with stock and et cetera. and did he use fish sauce? or maybe I'm confusing his with my own recipe because goddamn fish sauce belongs in every red ragu ever. anyways, detail work like this are really what make his technique.

I remember, I had a friend who made his fish and chips recipe, and was similarly disappointed - and I asked him about it and was like 'so did you use vodka'? "no.", 'ice cold ale?' - "no, it was room temperature" - 'did you make the batter right before you dunked the fish?' "no, about half an hour before" - 'what temperature was the oil' "no idea, didn't measure!".

it's just really the detail that counts.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I gotta third this. I have watched all his shows and have his 'heston at home' book, and was a bit disappointed by it. I'm sure he never personally wrote a single one of his recipes - they have to just be scaled down versions of restaurant/test kitchen dishes, which never translates well.

but, the underlying technique behind his dishes is great. like with the bolognese dish, the key take aways (as I remember, it has been a while) were like that he used star anise to boost meaty flavors in his ragu, and a certain type of pasta that clung to the sauce, and well I guess the fact that he actually made a ragu with stock and et cetera. and did he use fish sauce? or maybe I'm confusing his with my own recipe because goddamn fish sauce belongs in every red ragu ever. anyways, detail work like this are really what make his technique.

I remember, I had a friend who made his fish and chips recipe, and was similarly disappointed - and I asked him about it and was like 'so did you use vodka'? "no.", 'ice cold ale?' - "no, it was room temperature" - 'did you make the batter right before you dunked the fish?' "no, about half an hour before" - 'what temperature was the oil' "no idea, didn't measure!".

it's just really the detail that counts.

Yup, fish sauce, star anise, bronze extruded pasta, yadda yadda (no stock in the ragu though according to the recipe). Fairly bland.

When I reheat the leftovers, I'm going to have to spice it up quite a bit - a little frozen stock, some fish sauce, a bit of chili. For someone who talks so much about boosting umami, the recipe was sorely lacking in just that.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Needs minced liver and strutto (pork fat). Also a whiff of cinnamon.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Leverpostej!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I didn't say that, you did.

One day I'm going to have the rare meat, offal, porcini and Marsala constellation required to make an authentic Vincisgrassi in my kitchen. One day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007
So I just got one of these

Smokey!

Right now I have a pork butt in it at 195F for 22 hours. Rubbed it with brown sugar, crushed red pepper, salt, and garlic. Smoking with apple wood. This is going to be magnificent.

I usually do pork butts in the oven right on the oven rack (with a drip pan on a lower rack) at 190-195 for 22-24 hours and they are outrageously succulent. You have to take them out with your hands because tongs will just rip through them. The fat on those is the food of the gods.

I can hardly sleep thinking about how good this is going to be.