Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MortuusLupus
May 7, 2007

WILL THIS NEVER END?
Toroidal worlds would be easy, all you're doing when moving anything around in the world is increasing or decreasing three numbers. Teleporting the player to the other side would only need to check "is this number greater than 1000 or whatever and if it is, subtract 2000 from it." Do that for any object when updating its position. Same thing goes for when rendering chunks ahead of the player, is that chunk at position 101 I'm trying to load? Nope, it's at -99. No missing chunks, no players or objects popping about any more than they already do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Looping worlds are really easy to do in SMP - just install one of the bukkit plugins that simulate it. Like this one!

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

What someone really needs to do is pair a cylindrical or toroidal world with one of those graphical mods that warps the way the game renders so it looks like you're standing on the inside of the surface.

Minecraft: Ringworld edition.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mr. Peepers posted:

What someone really needs to do is pair a cylindrical or toroidal world with one of those graphical mods that warps the way the game renders so it looks like you're standing on the inside of the surface.

Minecraft: Ringworld edition.

If the program or server jar could do something kind of map, then you could have a 2D jpg render in the air so you could look up and see something close to what is on the "other" side of the world. Make it update once per day or something like that to keep load down.

On a side note, as someone who runs a server, it's terrible how hard it is to get a good render of your map in any form.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does anyone know if one of the Bug Fixes was the 'cats teleport to you when you log in underground despite being sat down'? that was messing up my creepershield stuff.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

IUG posted:

On a side note, as someone who runs a server, it's terrible how hard it is to get a good render of your map in any form.

This one is pretty good. There's a semi-hidden sidebar on the right that can be used to toggle flat/3d/underground, etc.

http://rogue-serv.com:8123/

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

IUG posted:

If you have a Bukkit server, there is no reason to not use Dynmap.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Is there any way to get jeb to work on sprinting so it's not glitchy as hell? It's especially bad in PVP when you try to run and it doesn't work until the third time you double tap. Or you are running and turn a little and suddenly you can only run half as fast unless you stop and start running again. Or when you start to run and it keeps switching back and forth between running and walking and it's like you're having a seizure. I have no clue how he could mess the code up for that so bad. Never mind the fact that making you have to double tap to run is a horrible implementation of running. You should just have to hit the shift key or another button altogether.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

If you have a Bukkit server, there is no reason to not use Dynmap.

It looks good, but I doubt I can get my host to use that (Akliz). If I can somehow move that to my personal website however, I would use that in a heartbeat.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Schweinhund posted:

Is there any way to get jeb to work on sprinting so it's not glitchy as hell? It's especially bad in PVP when you try to run and it doesn't work until the third time you double tap. Or you are running and turn a little and suddenly you can only run half as fast unless you stop and start running again. Or when you start to run and it keeps switching back and forth between running and walking and it's like you're having a seizure. I have no clue how he could mess the code up for that so bad. Never mind the fact that making you have to double tap to run is a horrible implementation of running. You should just have to hit the shift key or another button altogether.

Minecraft's netcode is terrible. There are a million other issues probably, but one of the biggest ones is that the game uses TCP instead of UDP for sending game data. I don't know much about networking, but iirc it means that the server tries its hardest to make sure everyone is sending/receiving all data, instead of just sending data, praying it gets there, and letting the client compensate if it misses some data, which is what most games do. You know, so that one laggy player doesn't tank the server.

Knowing Mojang there are probably other mistakes like that, but I couldn't point them out because I really don't know poo poo about networking. Wouldn't be surprised if the seizure zooms are something like the server and client fighting over whether the player is actually sprinting or not or something.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DontMockMySmock posted:

A torus. Toroidal worlds are the best, especially when they have one polar ice cap, for maximum illogic.

The polar ice "cap" would be the inner most ring, which would be much colder because the outer half eclipses the sun. :eng101:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

PalmTreeFun posted:

Minecraft's netcode is terrible. There are a million other issues probably, but one of the biggest ones is that the game uses TCP instead of UDP for sending game data. I don't know much about networking, but iirc it means that the server tries its hardest to make sure everyone is sending/receiving all data, instead of just sending data, praying it gets there, and letting the client compensate if it misses some data, which is what most games do. You know, so that one laggy player doesn't tank the server.

Knowing Mojang there are probably other mistakes like that, but I couldn't point them out because I really don't know poo poo about networking. Wouldn't be surprised if the seizure zooms are something like the server and client fighting over whether the player is actually sprinting or not or something.

Pretty much. Its netcode is actually worse than you can possibly imagine.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

It looks good, but I doubt I can get my host to use that (Akliz). If I can somehow move that to my personal website however, I would use that in a heartbeat.

You can definitely use it with Akliz, I've got a server with them. :)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Shukaro posted:

Akliz is amazingly fantastic about customizing stuff for you. I recently asked them about getting Tekkit up and running on my server and it was smooth as butter.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Schwarzwald posted:

The polar ice "cap" would be the inner most ring, which would be much colder because the outer half eclipses the sun. :eng101:

Generally speaking, on worlds like that, the sun paradoxically shines everywhere at once.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Shukaro posted:

Me too, didn't even need to contact support. I just put it in the plugins directory and configured it myself, works great. So much better than the previous map generation solution I was using on my old server, I love the real-time updating.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Fellow goons. Last year I came into this thread with an idea for a texture pack themed to Baldur's Gate, originally based on Painterly. I didn't post much about it since then as I ended up loving off to Planet Minecraft for the longest time. But now the time has come to return, like Nicholas Kerensky and the Clans in Battletech. And like Kerensky, I come bearing tech far superior to that which I had when I left:

http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/32x-baldurs-craft-hd-125/

A texture pack for anyone who loves Baldur's Gate, loves Minecraft, or just loves a drat fine cobblestone. It's 32x, so of course remember to have either MCPatcher or OptiFine installed. Currently, all the terrain and vehicles have been done along with particles and other OCD details; HD items are coming in the next update, with HD mobs after that. If you're the type who doesn't do HD, there is also the original 16x flavor texture pack for you to use.

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 20, 2012

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MikeJF posted:

Does anyone know if one of the Bug Fixes was the 'cats teleport to you when you log in underground despite being sat down'? that was messing up my creepershield stuff.

I've had both kinds of pet randomly teleport, even when I'm just wondering around I think there are general bugs in that area.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Apex Rogers posted:

Why do you say that? They could give you an option to make a finite world which is "a" blocks long in the X direction and "b" blocks long in the Z direction, centered at the spawn. If you go a/2 blocks in the X direction it starts loading chunks from -a/2. You go -b/2 blocks in the Z direction and it starts loading chunks from b/2. The X and Z coordinates and still increment upward or downward and they could adjust the position variable as the player crosses the threshold.

The world bounds would need to be rounded to the nearest multiple of 16 (this is the number of blocks per chunk, so there is no partial-chunk at the boundary) and there would need to be a minimum value so you don't have the same chunk active twice at the same time, but otherwise I don't see any major issue with it.

You run into the issue of location, suddenly you are copying blocks at new locations. If you where to look at the map it would look like a wallpaper print with multiple people being at the "same" place.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Make the minimum worldsize the amount of terrain displayed on one map then. There are no issues with implementing a half-assed toroidal world as described in this thread, just a small bit of additional logic.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I don't even need toroidal just looping like someone wrote earlier by loading chunks from the start when you reach the end of the respective axis.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

I don't even need toroidal just looping like someone wrote earlier by loading chunks from the start when you reach the end of the respective axis.
it would drive me crazy, I would put stuff in one house and come back to it empty. Burn the house down and find it intact again.

The map would look like a scattered map of the compartments of my brain.

MortuusLupus
May 7, 2007

WILL THIS NEVER END?

ColHannibal posted:

it would drive me crazy, I would put stuff in one house and come back to it empty. Burn the house down and find it intact again.

The map would look like a scattered map of the compartments of my brain.

Why would the house be empty? A toroidal map would behave exactly like the old game Asteroids where moving forward past one edge just continues you along from the other side; there are no copies of old houses or anything like that. If the world size was smaller than the render distance you'd be able to look at yourself from behind, but that's the only odd behavior you'd encounter.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Captainsparklez had a Hunger Games tournament that had a very interesting take on the PvP challenges like the Mindcrack guys.
Unfortunetly it's the minecraft community so they all opped themselves after they died and started harassing, but the general idea was cool.

No block breaking and scattered around the field are ruins, caves etc with chests where you find your equipment and food.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOhD4NLUlXI
Part 1 is the only watchable part, after that it devolves into him running away from opped players harassing him.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yeah it was a cool concept turned lovely. Those are kinda the dark side of the Minecraft community, they're only pumping out videos for the views and money instead of doing it to have fun with the game.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Zsinjeh posted:

Captainsparklez had a Hunger Games tournament that had a very interesting take on the PvP challenges like the Mindcrack guys.
Unfortunetly it's the minecraft community so they all opped themselves after they died and started harassing, but the general idea was cool.

Paulsoaresjr, who was 2nd place, did a post-mortem video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZymK1yAscM) where he harshly criticized the end game, and the people involved in it, though he didn't name names. He said next time no one is getting ops after they die.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Wow. After some amateurish climaxes in the past few seasons, this one is amazing. Highly worth the watch.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
^^ I assume you're talking about Mindcrack Ultra Hardcore - yeah, this one was a great series. Still had the problem of far too many duplicate content videos, but I just watched one from each team (Guude and Kurt) until this last episode.

I wish they'd do a 4 teams of 2 deal, there'd be a lot more content that way but not so much as this upcoming one with 16 players free-for-all. They mentioned on Guude's episode during the aftermath that they want to do one more 4x4 match because they had so much fun.

Matt0088
Jun 24, 2011
Imagine if Etho had upgraded to an iron sword, he easily could have. He did get a couple hits on Guude, who had only ONE heart at the end. Such a small thing like that probably could have decided the outcome.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I think game modes where you can't break blocks are silly and pretty much defeat the idea of playing Minecraft in the first place - the whole game is about block-breaking.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Anyone got the multiview link?

Edit: I only have the link for Team DOOKE:
Kurt, Doc, Etho, Bdouble0

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 21, 2012

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Matt0088 posted:

Imagine if Etho had upgraded to an iron sword, he easily could have. He did get a couple hits on Guude, who had only ONE heart at the end. Such a small thing like that probably could have decided the outcome.

And if Kurt had stuck with the group, they might have missed each other entirely.

ToastyPotato posted:

Anyone got the multiview link?
Click "Playlists" at the top. It's usually one of the top ones, but if not click the Mindcrack tag. My bad, I thought both were up, but it's just Team DOOKE from two different people.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 21, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Pause doesn't seem to have uploaded his video, which is probably why there are no swig links for his team. I made one, sans Pause, in case you are like me and can't wait.

Guude, Baj, Beef, Minus Pause

Baj's video doesn't seem to sync particularly well for me.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 21, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Pause doesn't seem to have uploaded his video, which is probably why there are no swig links for his team. I made one, sans Pause, in case you are like me and can't wait.

Guude, Baj, Beef, Minus Pause

Baj's video doesn't seem to sync particularly well for me.

Baj's video is continuously pausing to buffer despite appearing to have a lot already buffered. I think there may be a problem with his encoding or something causing it to do that.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
So everyone is having trouble with Baj eh?
Thank goodness. i was going CRAZY this afternoon trying to figure out why it was screwing up. Took me forever to get through that video. I thought my laptop was going scary or something.

Anyway...

Baj dying made me so sad. He just cannot seem to catch a break in the recent UHCs... and of course he is totally my favorite....

But yeah. Great ending. Not really looking forward to season 5 which is going to be like a 16 person free for all. Who has time to watch 16 videos? Im going to watch Baj, Etho and BOO... and then see who other people recommend

But man... all those wolves. Just think, if Baj and Pause had still been alive, it would have been so lopsided

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
That was a pretty good payoff.

I liked how the psychological warfare played out in this series. Because DOOKE thought Guude, Baj and Beef had been to the ender and got splash potions, they prioritised melee, which was exactly the last thing they should've done with those wolves. Though, I guess it was game over the moment the bonespawner rolled into action.

I'd like to see some sort of pitched battle though, the PVP is so short and brutal after such a long buildup. Maybe a fort series with traps and stuff :)

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I'm sure a shitload of wolves will be the go-to tactic after that, though fortunately the dangers of taking on skeletons in UHC limit it a bit. They really lucked out with that spawner.

Though I liked the solitary all-against-all format better, if they go with 4 vs. 4 again I hope one team goes for a defensive strategy, e.g. a big fuckoff tower or something.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else lately had to wait longer than usual for the What's New stuff to load and for the game to log you in?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

DarkJC posted:

Me too, didn't even need to contact support. I just put it in the plugins directory and configured it myself, works great. So much better than the previous map generation solution I was using on my old server, I love the real-time updating.

How much stuff did you need to update in your config before you stopped getting a "Could not connect to remote server" error?

I can use the render commands from within the game, so I know the plugin is working, but actually viewing the data externally is proving to be less than intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Jamesman posted:

Has anyone else lately had to wait longer than usual for the What's New stuff to load and for the game to log you in?
Yes. For the last couple of days trying to login has resulted in time outs or just taking up to a minute to login.