Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Rent a professional one, especially if you don't plan on using it much after the one time. Last time I used one of those sprayers it was noisy and just spit the paint instead of an actual "Spray".

The high end ones are pretty bad rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
For real

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2665972601P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
How are the corded drills at Harbor Freight? I want to polish my headlights and the cordless drill I have just won't cut it. I so rarely use a drill I don't want to spend a lot.

Edit: I'm thinking this guy would work: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-variable-speed-reversible-drill-3670.html

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 14, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

mod sassinator posted:

How are the corded drills at Harbor Freight? I want to polish my headlights and the cordless drill I have just won't cut it. I so rarely use a drill I don't want to spend a lot.

Edit: I'm thinking this guy would work: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-variable-speed-reversible-drill-3670.html
Last HF drill I had used that same keyless chuck and it was worthless. It literally went right into the trash the first time I tried to use it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Their "professional" drills are like $30 and should be ok for that. You might be better getting a walmart black n decker.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah looks like the reviews are pretty bad. I think I might just get a DeWalt, it looks like they aren't as expensive as I thought they would be: http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...1&storeId=10051

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Milwaukee has a similar model for a similar price, I'd get that instead. I've used do drill sheet metal and it worked great. I have a magnum now, that thing is a beast.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah looks like the reviews are pretty bad. I think I might just get a DeWalt, it looks like they aren't as expensive as I thought they would be: http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...1&storeId=10051

I have this one. It's great for a light duty corded drill. Sure the keyless chuck will slip for some heavier duty situations, but for a basic drill? loving great little bugger.

I also have the 20v DeWalt kit for the portable jobs and a 1/2" chuck Rigid hammer drill for the heavy poo poo.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.
5-6-8-10-12mm Helical thread repair kit

Normally over 200 bucks, on clearance at grainger right now, 41 dollars to my door. I paid 35 for a 4mm kit 2 weeks ago, when I saw this I figured what the hell, and I need an 8x1.25 to fix an exhaust stud.

PO's suck. The one that had my bike had no idea how to torque steel bolts into aluminum. Carbs had trashed threads and my exhaust stud pulled while I was running the nut down with a quarter inch ratchet. Oh well, excuse to have a full set of helicoils.

Huge fan of my half inch Milwaukee corded. Keyed chuck, but a kungfu grip gets it tight enough to do most small jobs that a keyless is good for.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
gently caress, that deal's already cleaned out. Nice catch, dude.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PeaceFrog posted:

5-6-8-10-12mm Helical thread repair kit

Normally over 200 bucks, on clearance at grainger right now, 41 dollars to my door. I paid 35 for a 4mm kit 2 weeks ago, when I saw this I figured what the hell, and I need an 8x1.25 to fix an exhaust stud.

PO's suck. The one that had my bike had no idea how to torque steel bolts into aluminum. Carbs had trashed threads and my exhaust stud pulled while I was running the nut down with a quarter inch ratchet. Oh well, excuse to have a full set of helicoils.

Huge fan of my half inch Milwaukee corded. Keyed chuck, but a kungfu grip gets it tight enough to do most small jobs that a keyless is good for.

drat that's a great deal. I wish I didn't miss out :(

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.
Call your local store. It showed nla when I bought mine.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Anyone got an idea how long HF takes to ship? I've been waiting on an engine stand order since the 10th. All my work in FSAE depends on getting it in. The order number I got has no tracking attached to it so I'm left in the dark. Where they ship from would suffice.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
China?

I'm surprised you don't have one locally, they're all over now.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Splizwarf posted:

China?

I'm surprised you don't have one locally, they're all over now.

There is one right down the street. But the way I have to go about purchasing one through the university makes it easier to order online. In retrospect, it seems like they would have taken the same amount of time either way, though.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Got these yesterday! I loving LOVE tools!

13 piece imperial ratcheting wrench set
http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wrenches/ratcheting/reversible_combination/setdetails.jsp?part=9509

16 piece metric ratcheting wrench set
http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wrenches/ratcheting/reversible_combination/setdetails.jsp?part=9602

16" indexable pry bar
http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/specialty_tools/indexing_pry_bars/stockdetails.jsp?view=stock&part=82216

24" indexable pry bar
http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/specialty_tools/indexing_pry_bars/stockdetails.jsp?view=stock&part=82224
^This thing is loving scary looking. Got some serious heft to it. :black101:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 19, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I'm looking to buy a small hand drill for work. I want a half decent one since I do lots of work in areas where using a battery powered drill would require a special permit and wearing a gas monitor at all times. :downs:

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Sockington posted:

I'm looking to buy a small hand drill for work. I want a half decent one since I do lots of work in areas where using a battery powered drill would require a special permit and wearing a gas monitor at all times. :downs:

I know you hate Ridgid 'cause of their batteries but I've got their little 12v jobbie and like it a lot.

Edit: Just realized you're looking for an electric drill.

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 19, 2012

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Jared592 posted:

I know you hate Ridgid 'cause of their batteries but I've got their little 12v jobbie and like it a lot.

Edit: Just realized you're looking for an electric drill.

Is he? I read it as a non-powered manual hand drill. So that he doesn't blow himself up around possible gas issues

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Brigdh posted:

Is he? I read it as a non-powered manual hand drill. So that he doesn't blow himself up around possible gas issues

Yeah that's how I read it too.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Brigdh posted:

This. I'm only drilling through 0.010 to 0.080" aluminium and rarely (oh god I hope rarely) stainless steel.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I'd recommend looking on Craigslist (or the Canada equivalent) and see if anyone is selling their Grandfather's one from the 50s. I don't think I've ever seen one in a store.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have one that I got as a christmas present, brand new, in the early 90s or so. My grandparents were awesome :woop:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/schroederhanddrill.aspx

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Sockington posted:

This. I'm only drilling through 0.010 to 0.080" aluminium and rarely (oh god I hope rarely) stainless steel.

Fiskars still make some pretty good ones. Like this: http://www.danmicglobal.com/653230.aspx

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Christobevii3 posted:

Their "professional" drills are like $30 and should be ok for that. You might be better getting a walmart black n decker.

When I decided I need a corded drill I went to my local pawn shop and paid $30 for a Bosch (made in West Germany). Got it home, and immediately snapped two quarter-inch drill bits. I know pawn shops are a ripoff, but I think I got my money's worth.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

Hazardous locations :allears:

Heh we put a GFI on the outside of our panel and some dumfuck decided to run an extension cord into the CL1 DIV1 area and got a large fine. :psyduck:

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

I used a gear wrench for the very first time when installing new front seats in my '02 Z28. The rear bolts can't be accessed by a standard socket as the seats are laid out a bit differently and the ratcheting part saved my rear end about 20 minutes of wrenching. Otherwise it would have been... place wrench on nut, turn nut 1/8th of an inch due to clearance, take wrench off, try to find nut again, found, turn 1/8th of an inch and repeat.

I'm now replacing all my wrenches for the ratcheting kind.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wav3form posted:

They are awesome, but they are definitely NOT a replacement. I _need_ both.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

wav3form posted:

No don't.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Motronic posted:

They are awesome, but they are definitely NOT a replacement. I _need_ both.

Catch the gear wrench when they go on sale. They are way too much retail. And yeah, don't try to break stuff loose with the ratcheting end. Keep the regular wrenches for that.

velocross fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 21, 2012

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Yeah, the regular box end is still necessary... Trying to break nuts with a ratcheting wrench will only result in warranty claims.

I got those wrenches and bars using a 50% student discount. :smugdog:

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Bang Me Please posted:

No don't.

Well I'm not throwing the other ones away if that's what you're thinking. :)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I have a set of stubby GearWrenches. They're really nice in tight spaces, especially when clearance parallel to the bolt is an issue -- several times I've gotten a ratchet stuck between the fan and radiator because the fan bolts are too long (I have bad luck with water pumps), so I had to screw it back in and then use the GearWrench on it to allow it to come all the way out.

But yeah, keep the regular wrenches for hammering on or bending to reach something really hard to get to.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

wav3form posted:

Kind of beaten, but absolutely don't do this. There are times where a ratcheting wrench is a goddamn awful tool. Try manually bleeding brakes on a motorcycle with a ratcheting wrench to control the caliber bleed nipple for example.

You really need both.

wav3form posted:

Well I'm not throwing the other ones away if that's what you're thinking. :)

Phew.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Skip the brilliant idea of using them to tighten a line fitting or something, too, especially when there isn't enough space to back the wrench off the fitting and get a line wrench on it afterwards :saddowns:

Done that before, felt like an idiot. It wasn't even a reversible one so I had to bend the line to get it far enough back to escape from my predicament.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kastein posted:

Skip the brilliant idea of using them to tighten a line fitting or something, too, especially when there isn't enough space to back the wrench off the fitting and get a line wrench on it afterwards :saddowns:

Done that before, felt like an idiot. It wasn't even a reversible one so I had to bend the line to get it far enough back to escape from my predicament.

Oh Gods! Done that too and apparently I'm still in the denial phase. Totally forgot this. This is the most brilliant example of why you need both.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My dad wants to use a Variac variable transformer to control the speed of his single speed angle grinder so he can use it to polish stone. I don't know how unreasonable this is. Any thoughts?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Angle grinders depend a lot on momentum. If he doesn't need much power and just wants to reduce the speed, that will probably work. But if he needs power, it's likely to be a miserable experience.

Also, that one looks a bit small. My angle grinder is 7 or 8 amps, and I think that's pretty typical. Just make sure you get one big enough for whatever you're running through it. 10 Amp variacs aren't terribly expensive and ought to do the trick.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
AC motors for the most part depend on frequency for speed changes. It doesn't appear to me that that transformer changes frequency, just voltage.

In that case the motor would run at the same speed, just with less power. Unless I'm incorrect.

camino fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

camino posted:

AC motors for the most part depend on frequency for speed changes. It doesn't appear to me that that transformer changes frequency, just voltage.

In that case the motor would run at the same speed, just with less power. Unless I'm incorrect.

You're correct. A VSD (variable speed drive that changes frequency and not power) would allow for closer to full power when turned down, but a variac will reduce the power enough to slow the rotation on something that relies on a flywheel effect like an angle grinder.

Although if you let the angle grinder sit unloaded it will eventually get up to it's normal rotational speed regardless of where you set the variac.

I've used one (variac) on a bench grinder for polishing work much like what FogHelmut was asking about. It's not an optimal solution, but VSDs are entirely too expensive to even consider for something like this.