Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
It's definitely not the worst example of how to lift a vehicle I've seen in this thread.

edit: new page, I'll add a picture in a bit.

Not mine, thread here.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
northeastern horrible metallurgical failures

happened in the shop at a junkyard next door to the shop a friend of mine works at. They picked it up off the flatbed with a forklift and the back/bottom peeled off, everything was rotted through.

yay rotted Chevy frames

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

It's definitely not the worst example of how to lift a vehicle I've seen in this thread.

edit: new page, I'll add a picture in a bit.

Not mine, thread here.
Hang on, they're doing it again? FFS BMW.

kastein posted:

northeastern horrible metallurgical failures

:hitler: "We had to send your truck to the bodyshop, you got a real bad peel problem"

:raise: "Well, that's not so bad, you going to try and compound it out?"

:hitler: "Not so much, no..."

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

InitialDave posted:

Hang on, they're doing it again? FFS BMW.

That one is from last year, so I'm not sure if it's "again" or not.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Thailand has a similar crazy tax the poo poo out of every car scheme. Basically it just widens the gulf between rich and poor to the point where Thai police won't even pull over anyone driving a German or Italian car because they're afraid of being put on latrine duty as a result of offending some influential person.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

That one is from last year, so I'm not sure if it's "again" or not.
Yep, that's "again". They had a spate of it with models from about ten years back.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

kastein posted:

yay rotted Chevy frames
ffffff is that a common problem on GM pickups of that era? :ohdear:

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
The brakes on the truck really sucked and only seemed to suck more as time passed..

..... I thought it was just air in the lines....

New calipers, rotors, and pads and it stops like it should.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Das Volk posted:

Thailand has a similar crazy tax the poo poo out of every car scheme. Basically it just widens the gulf between rich and poor to the point where Thai police won't even pull over anyone driving a German or Italian car because they're afraid of being put on latrine duty as a result of offending some influential person.

Even when you get pulled over in Thailand, you end up paying a $3 bribe or something. Corruption is huge. That said, they have automated photoradar going up over there - my dad got sent a ticket for roughly 100mph in a 60mph zone, ended up being like $40.

The rich-poor gap in Thailand is a -major- issue... but that is heading D&D.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

InitialDave posted:

Yep, that's "again". They had a spate of it with models from about ten years back.
Yeah, that's loving disturbing. I thought they made pretty big changes to the singles models between the old F650 and the new G650, too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah, that's loving disturbing. I thought they made pretty big changes to the singles models between the old F650 and the new G650, too.
I know. I was actually considering buying one of the new ones. :ohdear:

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

bolind posted:

If you get caught driving a foreign car as a danish national, without the foreign owner being physically in the car, your fine is twice the tax and registration you'd theoretically owe. For the car pictured, we're probably talking somewhere between 50k and 100k USD. Needless to say, only people with little to lose do this. (Or fuckoff rich people who don't give a poo poo.)

Tax and registration are a quarter of the cost of vehicles in Denmark? Holy poo poo...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

McDeth posted:

Tax and registration are a quarter of the cost of vehicles in Denmark? Holy poo poo...

Try 105-180%, ie. between half and two thirds.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I'm curious, is the same true for motorcycles?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Splizwarf posted:

I'm curious, is the same true for motorcycles?

Yes, the value breakdown goes like this: the first 0-8,900 DKK is 0%, 8,900-24,900 DKK is 105% and 24,900+ DKK is 180%.

As an example, a V-Strom 650 is 80,000 DKK MSRP including taxes, about $14,130.

On cars, there are various rebates and penalties for good/bad gas mileage, safety equipment and so on. None of that counts for motorcycles.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 19, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

On cars, there are various rebates and penalties for good/bad gas mileage, safety equipment and so on. None of that counts for motorcycles.

You get a slight reduction for ABS.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
So pretty much a dick in the butt for anything with a combustion engine? What's the upshot?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

So pretty much a dick in the butt for anything with a combustion engine? What's the upshot?

The entire nation is eroding quite rapidly so if you own property in central areas you're in for some nice profits.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ola posted:

The entire nation is eroding quite rapidly so if you own property in central areas you're in for some nice profits.

Ouch. Didn't think it was going that way over there too.

In this huge metropolis of ~2000 people I know quite a few with no mode of transport. The cost of vehicle ownership is too high for many people. And since the public transport infrastructure was sold off there are only a few remaining vestigial traces of public transportation which I can only assume is some sort of government mandated thing so the companies don't just totally retract to urban areas. Most of the rail lines were closed and people are left essentially trapped.

A combination of high transport costs, lower product availability (natural disasters, misc. effects of national financial problems etc.) and blatant profiteering from the captive market once people pay for the basics they have nothing left.
The fact that the school provides breakfast so no child goes without is really a sign of the times too :(

Eh, sorry. no pics. Only non automotive electrical / mechanical failures experienced recently.
The serp belt on the Fairlane is however on the edge of failure. Replacing it would be an expensive act to buy a little more time. The tensioner pulley needs to be replaced. Would an engineer shop be able to remove the pulley shaft, make a grade 10 bolt with a left hand thread, tap it and adjust the offset or something for a standard pulley from I don't know, a normal Falcon or something to fit?

I think it was a horrible failure to manufacture a tensioner with a lovely plastic pulley entrapped from the factory. Seems like the going rate for a tensioner is about $350 currently and the belts are about $120. Fuckit.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sponge! posted:

Pffft, move to one of our 6 non-emissions counties. Or have someone who lives in one own your vehicle. Is nice.

I live in a non-emissions county, and my inspection for each car is $19.15. With tax. I also like how PA doesn't consider my Bronco a truck and my registration doesn't cost truck-prices.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I also like how PA doesn't consider my Bronco a truck and my registration doesn't cost truck-prices.

Haha yeah only pickup trucks are "trucks" oh wait, vans too. Makes sense, right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I also like how PA doesn't consider my Bronco a truck and my registration doesn't cost truck-prices.

Station wagon. I did a double take the first time I saw that on a PA title for something that obviously wasn't.

But anything over 1/2ton needs a truck tag, even if it's a 2500 Surburban/Expedition/whatever.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

General_Failure posted:

I think it was a horrible failure to manufacture a tensioner with a lovely plastic pulley entrapped from the factory. Seems like the going rate for a tensioner is about $350 currently and the belts are about $120. Fuckit.

Doesn't your Falcon have a 351 Windsor? There's gotta be something that'll fit from something over here - the Windsor was a popular engine in trucks and land barges, and still remains popular for some swaps.

Even with shipping getting a tensioner and belt from overseas sounds a lot cheaper.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

Doesn't your Falcon have a 351 Windsor? There's gotta be something that'll fit from something over here - the Windsor was a popular engine in trucks and land barges, and still remains popular for some swaps.

Even with shipping getting a tensioner and belt from overseas sounds a lot cheaper.

302 Windsor. Aus spec so there are some differences like head design etc. but the big difference is half the accessory stuff is backward from the U.S. model ones so there's a real trick to telling what's compatible and what isn't. I suppose I could take a photo and shove it in the stupid question thread. I run the engine with the fancy cowling off because its only purpose is really cosmetic, and to prevent anyone accessing the top of the engine when something fucks up. IIRC they used allen or perhaps multihex bits or something for screws. I know it was a bastard to remove.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

General_Failure posted:

Ouch. Didn't think it was going that way over there too.

In this huge metropolis of ~2000 people I know quite a few with no mode of transport. The cost of vehicle ownership is too high for many people. And since the public transport infrastructure was sold off there are only a few remaining vestigial traces of public transportation which I can only assume is some sort of government mandated thing so the companies don't just totally retract to urban areas. Most of the rail lines were closed and people are left essentially trapped.

A combination of high transport costs, lower product availability (natural disasters, misc. effects of national financial problems etc.) and blatant profiteering from the captive market once people pay for the basics they have nothing left.
The fact that the school provides breakfast so no child goes without is really a sign of the times too :(

Eh, sorry. no pics. Only non automotive electrical / mechanical failures experienced recently.
The serp belt on the Fairlane is however on the edge of failure. Replacing it would be an expensive act to buy a little more time. The tensioner pulley needs to be replaced. Would an engineer shop be able to remove the pulley shaft, make a grade 10 bolt with a left hand thread, tap it and adjust the offset or something for a standard pulley from I don't know, a normal Falcon or something to fit?

Wait, where is this? Denmark or Australia? I'm confused.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

^^^^ General_Failure is in Australia. Cornelius and I are in Denmark. Ola is in Norway and is making light of Denmarks gigantic amount of coast line for its relatively small area.

Splizwarf posted:

Yes, apart from scooters and the like, which have a significant amount of their value below the tax limit.

The upshot is that we have some of the best social services, free healthcare, public services and well-maintained roads in the world, despite people constantly moaning about them. Spoiled brats, the lot of them. Admittedly, it has been going a bit downhill the last couple of years, along with the rest of the western world.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

KozmoNaut posted:

The upshot is that we have some of the best social services, free healthcare, public services and well-maintained roads in the world,
I can't imagine road maintenance is that demanding there, what with saving on all that wear and tear.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh hey I have some shameful broken brakes pictures to share:

quote:

:stare: I, I think I found the source of the shuddering :stare:

Okay, that's not right.
Also, this was the side the handbrake worked on. There was no shoe material left at all. The fairies have taken it away...

1999 volvo v70 rear brakes

Whoops, all fixed now.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

opengl128 posted:

Haha yeah only pickup trucks are "trucks" oh wait, vans too. Makes sense, right?

Nah, vans are tagged as cars. My 1999 Voyager is a Hxx-xxxx, so cheap registration for me!

Also like living in Central PA with no emissions requirements.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dradien posted:

Nah, vans are tagged as cars.

Depends on the state. Vans are tagged as trucks here, as are S-10s and El Caminos and Bronco 2's.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 22, 2012

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Cakefool posted:

Oh hey I have some shameful broken brakes pictures to share:

1999 volvo v70 rear brakes

Whoops, all fixed now.
Reminds me what I did to my Focus once. Replaced the rear brakes and it seemed fine at first. On my way home from work, car seemed to pull to the drivers side and it was a little harder to get it up to speed. When I got out of the car when I was home (~10 miles of 70mph then 10 of 40mph) I looked and saw that the drivers side rear drum was glowing a very faint dull red. Apparently I didn't properly secure a pin and the brakes were partially engaged all the time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fire Storm posted:

I looked and saw that the drivers side rear drum was glowing a very faint dull red. Apparently I didn't properly secure a pin and the brakes were partially engaged all the time.

Mitch Hedberg posted:

I rent a lot of cars, but I don't always know everything about them. So a lot of times, I drive for like ten miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake. It's really not an emergency brake, it's an emergency "make the car smell funny" lever.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

So this happened today.

At a rallycross.

On a WRX.

The thing SUCKED dirt in like no ones business.

Black poo poo came out of the intercooler.

Lets get some gas to clean it out:

After running gas through the intercooler and cleaning out the inlet and y pipe, AND doing an oil change (with shinies in the oil), it got bolted back together and we headed home. The wrx went into limp mode.

We get to maine and start pulling codes with a code reader. Idle air control valve blah blah blah other codes blah blah blah. Then the turbo started making funny noises.

They're driving it 2 hours north. Hopefully it holds together and they can swap a spare turbo on. Whoops!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What the gently caress is going on with the front strut mount there?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bolind posted:

^^^not entirely true. Gas is by and large the same price across most of Europe. Makes sense, otherwise people would buy it across the border in massive quantities. This price, however, is around double of the US, and Australia/NZ. Gas prices, especially given our purchasing power, isn't the killer.

Actually petrol is getting up close to that in New Zealand - around €1.40/l for 95. Here it is the killer as purchasing power is very low.

On the plus side we still have stacks of cheap second hand Japanese imports available, and licensing is only ~€180/year.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

What the gently caress is going on with the front strut mount there?

Looks like the suspension was lifted using some form of box like spacers.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This is the 94 dodge 2500 360/nv4500/np231/dana 60/dana 60 parts truck I picked up to use as a drivetrain donor. I paid less than the motor and trans are worth on the open market and drove it home, even came with a plow I should be able to sell.

I knew the frame was rotted out but wasn't expecting this kind of horror...

looks a bit rotten. Ok, whatever.

It bounced and flopped around funny when it hit potholes, so aside from plowing the road to my house with it once, it stayed parked. Today I decided to cut the thing up and pull the parts I want or can sell...

(Southerners, close your eyes and hit page down a few times)

dragged the bed liner out to find this

well, I guess I am not selling the bed. Time to chop it up for scrapmetal.

OH GOD I DROVE THIS? :stare::stare::gonk:

A few good kicks later all the rust fell off and the remaining frame metal tore, leaving only the bottom web of the frame rail holding the truck together:

I wasn't even wearing steel toes, just regular old leather work boots...

around this time aceofsnett showed up so we went 4-wheeling for a while, then got out the sawzall to make sure it would never drive again:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You know, there's a chunk of the Titanic on display in Vegas that looks better.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Jesus was that thing washed in salt water daily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
You know, a bedless shorty truck like that seems like it would be a lot of (dangerous) fun.