Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

What do you do with it after? Drain it? If so what do you do with the lard?

Drain it and save it till next time, reuse until too salty or until it turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is there a decent substitute for the lard? You can't get it here.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Need some help on an appetizer for a dinner party Saturday. I'm thinking of bringing mini crab cakes. 1) we will be traveling about thirty minutes. Issue with sogginess or is this still a good idea? 2) Im looking for your best crab cake recipe. I've made a few from America's test kitchen but I'm looking for something more...

Edit: I also have the ad hoc cookbook here which seems to have a pretty kick rear end recipe at my disposal...

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 20, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nwin posted:

Need some help on an appetizer for a dinner party Saturday. I'm thinking of bringing mini crab cakes. 1) we will be traveling about thirty minutes. Issue with sogginess or is this still a good idea? 2) Im looking for your best crab cake recipe. I've made a few from America's test kitchen but I'm looking for something more...

Edit: I also have the ad hoc cookbook here which seems to have a pretty kick rear end recipe at my disposal...

I've not made a bad thing from Ad Hoc at home, and I've made quite a few of the things.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've not made a bad thing from Ad Hoc at home, and I've made quite a few of the things.
agreed on that. I've made the fried chicken, chicken pot pie, roast chicken, and maybe some other stuff and it's all been great.

OK FOLKS
Jul 24, 2009
I have a couple questions:

1. Where do I get cedar planks for grilling salmon? Could I just go to Home Depot or something (as long as the wood wasn't treated with something)? What should I look for as far as thickness?

2. I have a little too much nutmeg (3 whole jars). What are some good recipes that use a lot of it? I will cook and eat anything.

Thanks in advance to the answers for these!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

OK FOLKS posted:

I have a couple questions:

1. Where do I get cedar planks for grilling salmon? Could I just go to Home Depot or something (as long as the wood wasn't treated with something)? What should I look for as far as thickness?

2. I have a little too much nutmeg (3 whole jars). What are some good recipes that use a lot of it? I will cook and eat anything.

Thanks in advance to the answers for these!

I've seen cedar planks at resto supply stores. Also try amazon. I'd be wary of Home Depot as I don't know if there is a way for them to know if it is foodsafe.

Is it whole nutmeg or ground? Whole nutmeg will keep for a very long time. Ground will be dead in a month or so. If you have free time and are into that kind of thing, nutmeg is psychoactive. :lsd:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've seen cedar planks at resto supply stores. Also try amazon. I'd be wary of Home Depot as I don't know if there is a way for them to know if it is foodsafe.

Home Depot has a section for grills and barbecues, and I've often seen the cedar planks there. They're packed specifically for food use, unlike the cedar that's sold in the lumber area. They've actually started to carry a decent selection of wood chips for smoking, too - nothing exotic, but hickory, cherry, apple, and mesquite are available at my local one.

Not sure if it's common, but most of the grocery stores here have started carrying cedar planks in the aisle with the charcoal briquettes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Most of the big grocery chains in LA have cedar planks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does anyone have a good barbecue sauce recipe and a good rub for smoking pork shoulder? For the sauce ideally I'd like one that is spicy and one that isn't

Jose fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 20, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there a decent substitute for the lard? You can't get it here.

You might be able to use another semi-solid fat (ie Crisco) but you will miss out on the flavor that lard will provide. I will also ad that I have never used Crisco (or lard) in a slow cooker the way that Gravity is describing, but I trust him.

Scott Bakula posted:

Does anyone have a good barbecue sauce recipe and a good rub for smoking pork shoulder? For the sauce ideally I'd like one that is spicy and one that isn't

I make a no-cook barbecue sauce, but it's all from taste, no measuring. The good point is that you can adjust the spiciness to your preference. It goes a little something like this: (All Measurements are guesses)

Ketchup - 1/4 C
Liquid smoke - 2 tsp
Worcestershire sauce - 2 tsp
White or Cider Vinegar - 1 tsp
Brown sugar or Honey - 2 tsp

The following added to taste:
Garlic Powder
Onion powder
Salt
Black Pepper
Cayenne pepper
Tabasco Sauce or Sirracha

It's not fancy, but it tastes better than bottled, and is cheaper

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
My late mother won a shoebox full of county fair blue ribbons for her peanut butter fudge. She died having never written the recipe down, and I really want to recreate it.

Here is what I know, and I could use your help, food magicians.

The process was:
Pour the right amount of sugar in a large, nonstick pan
Add the right amount of peanut butter
Heat, stirring at the appropriate times to soft-ball stage
Pour into an old aluminum cake pan and allow to cool.

There was also a stick of butter involved if I remember correctly...possibly some vanilla extract.

Every time she made it, it was completely creamy...no grain or grit. It was very sweet, and not dry like some of the store bought poo poo you find.

I've attempted several times. I end up with a lumpy slurry or burned peanutbutter/sugar on the bottom of the pan.

The problem is that I don't know when she stirred, when she left it alone, what temp she cooked it at or what temp she cooked it to (She used the 'drop some in cold water' method)

Can anyone help?

Phummus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 20, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Edit: Probably in poor taste for this thread.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 20, 2012

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Scientastic posted:

Edit: Probably in poor taste for this thread.

Actually in poor taste in general.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phummus posted:

The process was:
Pour the right amount of sugar in a large, nonstick pan
Add the right amount of peanut butter
Heat, stirring at the appropriate times to soft-ball stage
Pour into an old aluminum cake pan and allow to cool.

Every time she made it, it was completely creamy...no grain or grit. It was very sweet, and not dry like some of the store bought poo poo you find.

I've attempted several times. I end up with a lumpy slurry or burned peanutbutter/sugar on the bottom of the pan.

Are you just putting sugar and peanut butter in a pan and letting that go? That's not good. I don't even want to think about cleaning that pan.

Try this recipe and adjust depending on your tastes:

quote:

2 cups sugar
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1 cup whole milk
pinch of salt
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup peanut butter

Boil sugar, milk, corn syrup, and salt for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add butter. Continue boiling until temperature reaches 238F. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and peanut butter. Beat until mixture starts to set. Pour quickly into 8" buttered pan. Once it starts to set, it hardens quickly.

Things to remember are that fudge dries out when you leave it exposed to air (fresh fudge, particularly peanut butter fudge, will not be dry) and fudge gets gritty when you don't heat the sugar high enough or rapidly cool it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Phummus posted:

Actually in poor taste in general.

Yeah, I don't really know what I was thinking. Sorry!

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

baquerd posted:

Are you just putting sugar and peanut butter in a pan and letting that go? That's not good. I don't even want to think about cleaning that pan.

Try this recipe and adjust depending on your tastes:

Things to remember are that fudge dries out when you leave it exposed to air (fresh fudge, particularly peanut butter fudge, will not be dry) and fudge gets gritty when you don't heat the sugar high enough or rapidly cool it.

That's what I've been doing, Baquerd. I watched her make it a few times when I was little, but never participated and she never wrote it down. She never measured anything either. Just dumped sugar out of a bag, scooped peanutbutter out of the jar, etc.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use AB's lazy recipe. It's just peanut butter, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar cooked in a microwave. It's embarrassingly good.

edit: If you want to use her recipe, I would add in a dollop of corn syrup and then cook it over lower heat and stir constantly. That should take care of the burning, and the corn syrup will prevent crystallization.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phummus posted:

That's what I've been doing, Baquerd. I watched her make it a few times when I was little, but never participated and she never wrote it down. She never measured anything either. Just dumped sugar out of a bag, scooped peanutbutter out of the jar, etc.

Could you be misremembering? If you are going to add peanut butter directly into sugar without anything to help the sugar dissolve in, you need to heat the sugar to full temp first or it seems to me you're going to have trouble mixing and you're on the road to burning the peanut butter because there's no liquid buffer. Heat your peanut butter up separately or it will lower the temperature of your sugar rapidly and you're basically on the road to making fudge the most difficult way possible. It's going to be a touch dry with no added liquid too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I use AB's lazy recipe. It's just peanut butter, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar cooked in a microwave. It's embarrassingly good.

You can make some really tasty fudge in a microwave, with chips and condensed milk and crap, but nothing tastes quite like real traditional fudge because there's only one way to get that texture and it is heating sugar to the soft ball stage.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Im 100% positive that the process involved a mound of sugar in a dry, nonstick pan and the glob of PB on top of it. Way more than 3/4 cup of PB too. She used to use almost a full jar.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Phummus posted:

Im 100% positive that the process involved a mound of sugar in a dry, nonstick pan and the glob of PB on top of it. Way more than 3/4 cup of PB too. She used to use almost a full jar.
Was she using an electric or gas range? This could be important (but I'm not sure)!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phummus posted:

The ratio is really important there. At any rate though, you're going to have to stir that often to get the sugar melted properly. Are you using a candy thermometer? Get one if not.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

scuz posted:

Was she using an electric or gas range? This could be important (but I'm not sure)!

Gas Range, and I am using an electric, though some of my failures were also on a gas range.

baquerd posted:

The ratio is really important there. At any rate though, you're going to have to stir that often to get the sugar melted properly.

I'll go the 'stir early and constantly' method again and get a thermometer.

I'll also try the corn syrup, FGR. Thanks!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Phummus posted:

Gas Range, and I am using an electric, though some of my failures were also on a gas range.

I'll go the 'stir early and constantly' method again and get a thermometer.

I'll also try the corn syrup, FGR. Thanks!
Some peanut butter brands can be more oily than others, perhaps having an effect on your efforts. As a frequent peanut butter consumer (I'm broke more often than not) I've noticed that Skippy Smooth is the oiliest.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Just got a couple molecular gastronomy kits with all the fixins and want to try my hand at something tonight. Looking for something more savory, maybe something with the xanthan gum. Also considering a goat cheese ravioli+brisket or something.

Ideas, good and plenty!

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Oh wait, can I make that modernist cuisine stuff if I dont have any sodium citrate? I have agar agar, sodium alginate, xanthan gum, soy lecithin...pretty much everything but sodium citrate. Any pointers?

edit: I am talking about making any cheese melt like american.

Jay Carney fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 20, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Two questions:

1. How should I cook these awesome Veal chops? Just s&p and grill on a hot cast iron?

2. I have a bunch of cooked rice in the fridge. What's the best way to reheat it?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Doh004 posted:

2. I have a bunch of cooked rice in the fridge. What's the best way to reheat it?

What kind of rice?

I'd say the best way would be to stir-fry it, honestly. Usually when I save non-instant rice, I wrap it up and freeze it immediately so it doesn't get soggy/dry -- then I can just microwave it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

tarepanda posted:

What kind of rice?

I'd say the best way would be to stir-fry it, honestly. Usually when I save non-instant rice, I wrap it up and freeze it immediately so it doesn't get soggy/dry -- then I can just microwave it.

Your standard cheap, white rice.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Instant? Just toss it in the microwave. There's not much you can do with it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Anyone have recommendations on a meat grinder, preferably something that isn't huge as we are starting to run out of kitchen storage space? Or even suggestions on what to look for in a meat grinder if I go out shopping for one?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Does anyone have some suggestions for a sort of romantic Indian dinner? I've never really cooked Indian food aside from some basic curries, and don't even really know where to start. I'm thinking 3 courses max, but I'd also down with just doing one course if it's really good. Anyone here have some good Indian cuisine experience they could share?

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Tots posted:

Does anyone have some suggestions for a sort of romantic Indian dinner? I've never really cooked Indian food aside from some basic curries, and don't even really know where to start. I'm thinking 3 courses max, but I'd also down with just doing one course if it's really good. Anyone here have some good Indian cuisine experience they could share?

I got this, .dino.

Amazing Indian food that happens to be vegan, written by one of our own. Just got it. It's awesome

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I got this, .dino.

Amazing Indian food that happens to be vegan, written by one of our own. Just got it. It's awesome

A vegan cookbook on amazon.com isn't exactly what I was after

Rhianasaurus
Dec 21, 2005
Does anyone remember a thread awhile ago for Tom Kha Gai? I think it was its own thread, at least.

I've lost the recipe and now when I try to make it I gently caress it up. Help!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Rhianasaurus posted:

Does anyone remember a thread awhile ago for Tom Kha Gai? I think it was its own thread, at least.

I've lost the recipe and now when I try to make it I gently caress it up. Help!

What's to mess up? It's coconut milk, chicken broth, chicken, galangal, and whatever else you like putting in it, basically.

Rhianasaurus
Dec 21, 2005

RazorBunny posted:

What's to mess up? It's coconut milk, chicken broth, chicken, galangal, and whatever else you like putting in it, basically.

Quantities :( I'm not very good at cooking

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CzarChasm posted:

You might be able to use another semi-solid fat (ie Crisco) but you will miss out on the flavor that lard will provide. I will also ad that I have never used Crisco (or lard) in a slow cooker the way that Gravity is describing, but I trust him.

We don't have crisco either. :( I swear I saw a recipe here once for decent no-lard carnitas but I can't find it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scott Bakula posted:

For a classic pork rub you're looking at sweet and salty in fairly equal parts, with spicy and everything else following. So as a general template I'd start with a ratio of 2:2:1 salt, dried brown sugar, and chili powder. You generally want some aromatic powders in there as well; garlic and onion are common, but you can also go with something like celery salt or what have you.

I usually use something like:
  • 12 parts salt
  • 12 parts dried brown sugar
  • 6 parts chili powder
  • 2 parts ground cumin
  • 1 part onion powder
  • 1 part garlic powder
  • 1 part ground black pepper

That's using homemade chili powder, which has a lot more kick to it than generic McCormick (or whatever) dried chili powder.

It's also not uncommon to omit the sugar from a pork rub and use pretty much equal parts salt and chili powder (or hot paprika) and add sweetness in the sauce.

For the sauce I usually start out with a base of homemade ketchup and whatever peppers I can get locally at the time. I use a stock pot and a fry pan (or wok). You get your ketchup base simmering, add some molasses, flat beer, chili powder, and some cider vinegar. While that's going you melt a stick of butter in the fry pan and sweat a chopped onion. If your peppers are earthy (like say jalapeņos) I'd add them when the onions are almost translucent. If you get some colour on the peppers it'll bring out the warmer flavours but take a little bit of the edge off the heat. For a fruitier pepper like a habanero I prefer to just slice them and add them to the sauce.

When the onions and peppers are done, add them to the simmering sauce. I usually throw in a couple cloves of minced garlic, and the juice of a lemon. Let the sauce simmer until around when it starts looking like the right consistency, then take it off the heat, let it cool, and throw it in the fridge overnight. The following day I put it through the fine disc of a food mill---you could use a food processor or hit it with a blender. You want it smooth enough you can put it in a bottle and you can use it like a condiment sauce, but I actually prefer to leave it with a little texture.

Anyway, if I had to guess proportions I'd guess something like:
  • 1 quart ketchup
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 or 4 fresh chili peppers
  • 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 1/2 cup beer
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 4 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 lemon (juiced)
Really this is something that I don't do a lot of measuring with, it's mostly done based on what happens to be available, and adjusted by taste as it goes.

I'd be comfortable using a sauce like the above on pretty much any kind of bbq as is. For something like pork ribs I'd tend to cut the sauce with some honey before brushing it on the meat while it was resting. For a pork butt you might want to do something similar, especially if whoever you're making it for expects sweeter sauces with pork (which is pretty common). In that case I'd mix it at something like 4:1 sauce to honey.

It's also pretty common to serve pork with a much more vinegary sauce, feel free to ask if you'd prefer something like that. Not really my cup of joe (being firmly of the Texas bbq school of thought) but none of this poo poo is exactly rocket science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

We don't have crisco either. :( I swear I saw a recipe here once for decent no-lard carnitas but I can't find it.

I what I said but with salted water. It will work fine. But you'll need to sear it off afterward. Lard in a crockpot may or may not be safe depending on your simmering temp.