Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Banjodark posted:

p.s what's everybody's favourite scene in the trilogy?
I'm a little torn between the scene immediately after Sovereign's destruction in ME1, and the final cutscene of Overlord, The first is just so masterfully done and so emblematic of the series' theme of overcoming impossible odds (and also because it always makes me cry a single, manly tear); the other's cyberpunk as gently caress, visceral, accompanied by beautiful melancholy music, and a superb example of the dichotomy between principle and pragmatism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't like how Biotic Mastery chose the other option (the one that isn't reputation) so even if I wanted to it, it is now impossible for me to make TIM kill himself, because there was no way to get high enough reputation without it, but since I was going for the other way to end that, I'm not too concerned.

Shouldn't matter, unless you missed a whole bunch of reputation points. I picked the +12% evolution a couple of times, and wasn't ever locked out of a dialogue option.

The difference between the 2 evolutions isn't even that much anyway +12% or +20%.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Yeah, I always thought that was by far the most jarring thing in the entire series. Especially when Shepard was a relative nobody in ME1. If he just decked a lady on camera for asking him questions he would be in so much poo poo that you would spend the rest of the game locked up in C-sec.

I've always accepted it and my renegade has always done it, but I only do it because it's by far the most loving absurd thing in the entire game. However, I've always wondered why there hasn't been a gigantic shitstorm surrounding it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Isn't Shep already a spectre by that point? C-Sec can't do much about it.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought the most recent patch fixed the import face bug? Because on my new Adept character it changed her face to one of the defaults, though, I don't think it's actually possible for her to carry over anyway. The hair colors are different, and its not possible to make the cheeks/jaw as sharp as diamonds anymore. I did enjoy that I could play the same way in all three games: Adept with a focus on Barrier and Assault Rifles. I didn't like how Biotic Mastery chose the other option (the one that isn't reputation) so even if I wanted to it, it is now impossible for me to make TIM kill himself, because there was no way to get high enough reputation without it, but since I was going for the other way to end that, I'm not too concerned.

Also that was the first time I saw the new default face for FemShep and holy poo poo is that bad.
That patch isn't working that well.

about reputation levels, I specced out of the passive mastery at the midpoint of the game and passed every single persuade check in the game.

Remember that the particular persuade check (end game spoilers) you referenced requires you to have charmed/intimidated him on mars, thessia and the cerberus base - those options do not appear unless you pick the left-dialogue option in all three of those chats and can be missed, locking you out of the final persuade on the citadel.

Just do lots of side-quests & scan things and you will have more than enough reputation even without the talent-passives to pass every check in the game.

dwazegek posted:

Nothing in the entire series has ever come close to the first time I played the ending of ME1. Specifically the point where you break out of the Citadel elevator and climb the tower. Then you look up and notice Sovereign's massive bulk towering in the distance. :cthulhu:

The reunion with Wrex in ME2 is also one of my favorite moments.
include all of virmire & Ilos as with that as well and I might have to move my order of 'awesome moments' around.

other dope moments:
- telling morinth that her taste in music is totally lamestream
- this renegade interrupt from ME2
- most of jack's one-liners

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Toast Museum posted:

Isn't Shep already a spectre by that point? C-Sec can't do much about it.

Yup. It's the entire reason for her interviewing Shepard in the first place. Not sure what That DICK! is getting at, maybe they meant Shepard would spend the entire game in C-Sec if he wasn't a Spectre at that point.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Sorry, I haven't played ME1 in forever because, AS I WILL CONTINUE TO BITCH ABOUT UNTIL THIS THREAD IS CLOSED, it isn't available for the PS3.

I guess you're right, but I feel like there would be at least SOME backlash, maybe Anderson saying "What the gently caress dude." It's a video game, though so whatever. I don't care. *Walks out of thread, punches women poster as he exits*

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The ways you can botch that up are awesome in general.
I loving love justicars :byodood:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

That DICK! posted:

Sorry, I haven't played ME1 in forever because, AS I WILL CONTINUE TO BITCH ABOUT UNTIL THIS THREAD IS CLOSED, it isn't available for the PS3.

I guess you're right, but I feel like there would be at least SOME backlash, maybe Anderson saying "What the gently caress dude." It's a video game, though so whatever. I don't care. *Walks out of thread, punches women poster as he exits*

I think Hackett isn't all that pleased if you do it actually, so there's that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dwazegek posted:

Shouldn't matter, unless you missed a whole bunch of reputation points. I picked the +12% evolution a couple of times, and wasn't ever locked out of a dialogue option.

The difference between the 2 evolutions isn't even that much anyway +12% or +20%.

That's weird, because I got it on my first character (a Vanguard), and the only thing that was different was the vanguard romanced Liara, and the adept did not (and the rep bonus I think).

quote:

Remember that the particular persuade check (end game spoilers) you referenced requires you to have charmed/intimidated him on mars, thessia and the cerberus base - those options do not appear unless you pick the left-dialogue option in all three of those chats and can be missed, locking you out of the final persuade on the citadel .

You misunderstand, with the Adept I didn't have the opportunity to charm/intimidate him on Mars. The options were not there, unless I'm retarded and forgot that its hidden in the branch you choose with the middle option. I'm not particularly concerned either way, though, since I wanted to see the other outcome for that section anyhow. I just wanted more opportunities to poo poo on Cerberus to make up for the fact that you really don't get to in 2.

quote:

I loving love justicars

I like how the options to get Morinth's attention are "Punch someone", "Dance badly", "buy drinks", and "insult a krogan". Afterlife apparently is a really goddamned boring place to be.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 20, 2012

LobsterTick
Jul 11, 2011

"We did something this year that was not based on animosity."

Banjodark posted:

what's everybody's favourite scene in the trilogy?
Do pre-rendered space battles count? If yes, I'd say it's the one in the beginning of Priority: Earth in ME3.And of course,the last 40 minutes of ME1.Best thing ever.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

RBA Starblade posted:

You misunderstand, with the Adept I didn't have the opportunity to charm/intimidate him on Mars. The options were not there, unless I'm retarded and forgot that its hidden in the branch you choose with the middle option. I'm not particularly concerned either way, though, since I wanted to see the other outcome for that section anyhow.
you screwed up and missed the chance, yes.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Banjodark posted:

p.s what's everybody's favourite scene in the trilogy?
No contest...

"Suit up, we're going outside!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Banjodark posted:

you screwed up and missed the chance, yes.

drat. I did it on the first playthrough too so I don't know why I managed to forget that. I enjoy TIM's character, he's fun to hate. I just wish they did something more interesting with him at the end. Instead of being indoctrinated I thought the twist was that he and Cerberus were perfectly fine. I thought their talk of discovering the stuff behind indoctrination and evolution and all the experiments was that they were going to try to make their own Reaper.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how the options to get Morinth's attention are "Punch someone", "Dance badly", "buy drinks", and "insult a krogan". Afterlife apparently is a really goddamned boring place to be.
You forgot "save an undercover reporter's life" and "beat up two thugs planning to mug people".

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

That DICK! posted:

For all of the poo poo ME1 gets in these threads it is still a great game. If you people hate the gunplay so loving much, just play as a biotic on casual.

And holy poo poo I never did the hipster music thing with Morinth. That is hilarious.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

HoveringCheesecake posted:

For all of the poo poo ME1 gets in these threads it is still a great game. If you people hate the gunplay so loving much, just play as a biotic on casual.

And holy poo poo I never did the hipster music thing with Morinth. That is hilarious.
It just takes me a long time to get used to the sniper rifles having massive play. It makes quick scoping way more difficult, and I honestly prefer it. I'll be doing ME2/ME3 as higher difficulties on Infiltrator next time I go through, because rushing to the Collector ship and grabbing the Widow makes one-shot headshots the norm.

At least this time in ME1 I'm not reflexively trying to reload after every single encounter.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I wonder how hard it would have been for BW to code some sort of PC to PS3 version importer for save games. Like if a person had a ME1 PC version save, they could easily port it to ME2 on the PS3.

That would have been nice to have. A good gesture to players out there.
If you can link your Steam account with your PS3 to play Portal 2, I don't see why they couldn't link it with ME1. Just read the save flags and import it to the console. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure they didn't remove all the callbacks from ME2 on PS, just that since the flags aren't there they don't trigger so somebody could probably do it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CaptainCarrot posted:

You forgot "save an undercover reporter's life" and "beat up two thugs planning to mug people".

No I'm pretty sure all Shepard did was dance badly and buy drinks. :shepface:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Dush posted:

Honestly, I'm sure this has been talked to death, and I don't want to be obnoxious about it, but it's something I think about whenever I encounter her in these games, and I think it's a discussion worth having. I don't think it's okay and I wish Bioware had handled it differently - couldn't Shep just have smashed her camera, or something? :sigh:

Totally agree on this. Not even my Renegade Sheps punch Al-Jilani. An (armored and physically enhanced) man punching a woman in the face just isn't very funny to me. Not that I'm accusing BW of anything, it's just a matter of something plain not sitting right with me.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

HoveringCheesecake posted:

If you people hate the gunplay so loving much, just play as a biotic on casual.

If only that could fix the everything else that is wrong with ME1.

Probably the best scene across all of the ME games for me is the destruction of the original Normandy. Considering how utterly static and boring 90 percent of the first game was, the opening to ME2 showed off better cutscene direction, better acting from both male and female Shepard, and it oozed atmosphere. Total chaos below decks, Shepard and Liara fighting the fires. Shepard shouting at her to get to the escape pods, staggering up the stairs to the CIC.... and then almost total silence as you look up and see most of the hull has been torn wide open, and the scene is dominated by free floating debris and Shepard's breathing as he walks towards Joker.

Also, I hated the old Normandy. gently caress that ship and its goddamn elevator. I was happy to see it burn, doubly so to find out that it took the Mako with it.

EDIT: ^^^ the worst thing about Al-Jilani is really that they turn her whole getting punched in the face into a sort of 'hilarious' gimmick in Lair of the Shadow Broker. It's not just Shepard that punches her, she survives getting decked by a Krogan if you watch one of the videos.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 20, 2012

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

fivegears4reverse posted:

Also, I hated the old Normandy. gently caress that ship and its goddamn elevator. I was happy to see it burn, doubly so to find out that it took the Mako with it.

Were... were the loading scenes on the Normandy in ME2 really that much better? Really? Sure, the elevator was dull, but I think it gave a better sense of continuity than BIG SWOOSHY LOADING SCREEN. NUMBERS THAT MEAN NOTHING. GREEN FILLS THE ENGINES, THEN LEAVES. That was a bit obnoxious.

LobsterTick
Jul 11, 2011

Talking about in-jokes, there's absolutely nothing more hilarious than that "don't touch the console" mini-dialogue on Sur'Kesh.:colbert: You guys know about it, right?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dush posted:

Were... were the loading scenes on the Normandy in ME2 really that much better? Really? Sure, the elevator was dull, but I think it gave a better sense of continuity than BIG SWOOSHY LOADING SCREEN. NUMBERS THAT MEAN NOTHING. GREEN FILLS THE ENGINES, THEN LEAVES. That was a bit obnoxious.

On PC, there may as well have been no loading screens during ME2. I was playing on a PC meant to play Crysis maxed out, so I'd see maybe a second of each loading screen. I don't even know what most of the little tips are saying because they tend to be gone too fast for me.

Meanwhile, in ME1, you still had to sit through the elevator scene no matter what, though it did run a bit faster on PC. To me, the old Normandy represented almost everything wrong about the presentation and gameplay of ME1, so seeing it get destroyed was pretty cathartic.

It'd make more sense in terms of ship design that there would be an elevator AND some kind of regular stair or ladder access between decks, because holy gently caress if the elevator is out you kinda trap a lot of people on each deck or you have traffic jams of people trying to use the few emergency access ladders on the Normandy 2.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

LobsterTick posted:

Talking about in-jokes, there's absolutely nothing more hilarious than that "don't touch the console" mini-dialogue on Sur'Kesh.:colbert: You guys know about it, right?

Aw, there's mini-dialogue on it? I even tried mashing it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

fivegears4reverse posted:

On PC, there may as well have been no loading screens during ME2. I was playing on a PC meant to play Crysis maxed out, so I'd see maybe a second of each loading screen. I don't even know what most of the little tips are saying because they tend to be gone too fast for me.

Meanwhile, in ME1, you still had to sit through the elevator scene no matter what, though it did run a bit faster on PC. To me, the old Normandy represented almost everything wrong about the presentation and gameplay of ME1, so seeing it get destroyed was pretty cathartic.

It'd make more sense in terms of ship design that there would be an elevator AND some kind of regular stair or ladder access between decks, because holy gently caress if the elevator is out you kinda trap a lot of people on each deck or you have traffic jams of people trying to use the few emergency access ladders on the Normandy 2.
Load screens are mostly hard drive, so if you have a mediocre hard drive you're going to get load screens. I never got around to picking up a SSD, so I see them for a not insignificant amount of time. I just alt tab during loading screens.

Can't alt tab during the ME1 elevators, though.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

Elysiume posted:

It just takes me a long time to get used to the sniper rifles having massive play. It makes quick scoping way more difficult, and I honestly prefer it. I'll be doing ME2/ME3 as higher difficulties on Infiltrator next time I go through, because rushing to the Collector ship and grabbing the Widow makes one-shot headshots the norm.

At least this time in ME1 I'm not reflexively trying to reload after every single encounter.

I wish more shooters handled sniper rifles like this.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

Elysiume posted:

Load screens are mostly hard drive, so if you have a mediocre hard drive you're going to get load screens. I never got around to picking up a SSD, so I see them for a not insignificant amount of time. I just alt tab during loading screens.

The ME2 loading movies always play completely to the end at least once, so if you have a movie that takes 30s, you'll always have to sit through the full 30s even if your computer can load the level much faster. And it probably can load them much faster, even without an SSD a semi-recent computer shouldn't take more than a few seconds.

The Normandy load screens are an exception though, in that they don't need to play completely between deck transitions.

If you replace all the normal loading movies with very short placeholders, you can speed up ME2 loading by quite a bit.

Why they thought this was a good idea is beyond me. They got some complaints about the unnecessarily long loading elevators in ME1, and decided to fix it by replacing them with unnecessarily long loading movies.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Dush posted:

I loved that poo poo, especially while blazing. Its like that Xbox image meme with "What Xbox users see themselves as Vs. Realty"

I'm all like "Well hello, needlessly complex and nonsensical status loading screen, how are the transducer induction particle accelerators...(inhale)...Acquired...(half cough)...(long exhale)...Oooh that's the tox, to the Terminus Systems we go..Engage."

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 20, 2012

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I loved that poo poo, especially while blazing. Its like that Xbox image meme with "What Xbox users see themselves as Vs. Realty"

I'm all like "Well hello, needlessly complex and nonsensical status loading screen, how are the transducer induction particle accelerators...(inhale)...Acquired...(half cough)...(long exhale)...Oooh that's the tox, to the Terminus Systems we go..Engage."

Mass Effect 2 Loading Screens: Stoner Approved. It's like a stamp of failure that will never rub off :smug:

Seriously though on 360 the ME2 loading screens took, if anything, longer than the ME1 elevators, and they always bugged me. There's not many ways of doing loading screens well, although I think Assassin's Creed does a pretty good job. Run forever, Ezio!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Shepard mishandles one of the Thorian gas grenades, it goes off, everyone gets high as gently caress.

ShepBlunders.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Well they can either have the elevators or they can have the loading screens. I thought it was pretty funny that they responded to complaints of the slow elevators hiding load screens by replacing them with load screens with an animation of an elevator moving around.

LobsterTick
Jul 11, 2011

HenessyHero posted:

Aw, there's mini-dialogue on it? I even tried mashing it.
It's actually a monologue.Just keep pressing the button.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doEJ_3j-kJo

E:Maybe it's a common knowledge and you are asking about something besides this,but it took me 2,5 playthroughs to find it.

LobsterTick fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 20, 2012

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I agree with this. I thought the second game punch was basically an isolated incident. It wasn't until I went through the first game did I realize that this was a running (not)joke. I know in real life we've all wanted to see certain infotainment personalities clocked from time to time (I know I have), but this gets uncomfortable because it's not even couched in a convincing way.

I think the big problem with it becoming a running joke is that it completely misunderstands why the "joke" was funny in the first place. In the first game, it was an egregious example of the game poorly communicating a dialogue option- the reason it was funny wasn't because a woman was being punched, it was because it was such a bizarre moment that made absolutely no sense tonally. Countering the first (reasonable) thing a reporter says with "I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOUR SNIDE ACCUSATIONS" *beat* *punch* was like watching some sort of absurd slapstick comedy about the World's Dumbest Soldier. Bioware seems to have watched the reaction to that moment and said "Oh, I guess people liked it when that lady got punched in the face", missing why it was funny in the first place (and, given the nature of the joke, it's not funny anymore if they're in on it)

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

LobsterTick posted:

E:Maybe it's a common knowledge and you are asking about something besides this,but it took me 2,5 playthroughs to find it.

This was everything I hoped it to be :allears:.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Burning Mustache posted:

I think Hackett isn't all that pleased if you do it actually, so there's that.

In my first playthrough I remember Hackett not being all that upset about it when I punched her, but then in my second one I remember him being more angry.

I wonder if it depends how far along you go in the conversation with her before slugging her? I think I talked to her longer before slugging her in my first playthrough, but in my second one I just went straight for the punch.

Or maybe I'm completely misremembering and Hackett was pissed each time. I swear I remember him saying something like "She deserved it but you shouldn't do that" my first time and his tone sounded amused, but he said something like "Commander we can't mistreat the press," the second time and he sounded angry.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Elysiume posted:

Just finished ME2 again, and the loading screens seemed forever long, whereas ME3 never had a load screen last over 1 second on the same PC, and the same drive (SSD).
I don't know why loading took so long, but it was extremely annoying.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There was a problem with the PC version of ME2 where no matter how long it "really" took to load, it would always have to play the (long) loading animation at least once.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

LobsterTick posted:

Is it just me, or does he sound an awful lot like Garrus (i.e. Brandon Keener) sans turian voice filter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Vigilance posted:

In my first playthrough I remember Hackett not being all that upset about it when I punched her, but then in my second one I remember him being more angry.

I wonder if it depends how far along you go in the conversation with her before slugging her? I think I talked to her longer before slugging her in my first playthrough, but in my second one I just went straight for the punch.

Or maybe I'm completely misremembering and Hackett was pissed each time. I swear I remember him saying something like "She deserved it but you shouldn't do that" my first time and his tone sounded amused, but he said something like "Commander we can't mistreat the press," the second time and he sounded angry.

I always do the full Paragon with her to "I can't comment on my mission", because then Hackett says "You did just fine, Commander. She sounded like a raving idiot," which is very satisfying.

• Locked thread