Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

movax posted:

That auto-BIOS update over WAN is pretty sexy. I guess my company isn't alone anymore.

Would be nice to see some PCIe 3.0 SATA/SAS HBAs for cheap NAS platforms too. I had to get a X58 over SNB because it didn't have enough PCIe lanes.

They are purposely kneecapping because they want you on the more expensive hardware!

e: surprised that Intel is fitting another 2 3.0 sata ports in the spec by marvel.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/69-cpu-chipset/45720-ivy-bridge-gets-95w-tdp-worse-overclocker-than-sandy-bridge.html

According to this article, some people have been able to get their hands on Ivy Bridge CPUs, and the overclocking results are pretty disappointing - apparently Intel's 22nm process leaks like a motherfucker, leading to high TDP with clock speeds topping out at 4.6 GHz or so.

http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread.php/100021-3rd-GEN-Intel-CPU-Semi-Stable-Testing-*Preview*-56K-WARNING

I had been waiting for Ivy Bridge to get a second computer set up, but the way this is looking, I may just have to get a 2700K at a Microcenter firesale.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
From what I read 4.6GHz translates to the equivalent of an i5/i7 doing 4.9GHz?

Carecat fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 18, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Wedesdo posted:

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/69-cpu-chipset/45720-ivy-bridge-gets-95w-tdp-worse-overclocker-than-sandy-bridge.html

According to this article, some people have been able to get their hands on Ivy Bridge CPUs, and the overclocking results are pretty disappointing - apparently Intel's 22nm process leaks like a motherfucker, leading to high TDP

As a correction/addition to this: http://www.nordichardware.com/news/69-cpu-chipset/45738-ivy-bridge-sells-with-95w-tdp-but-uses-a-maximum-of-77w.html

Still, if the absolute dismal overclocking performance is true, then Ivy Bridge must be considered a CPU to pass on. To be fair though, Intel, you already gave us the gift of 2500K, so all is forgiven for a while.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 18, 2012

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

HalloKitty posted:

As a correction/addition to this: http://www.nordichardware.com/news/69-cpu-chipset/45738-ivy-bridge-sells-with-95w-tdp-but-uses-a-maximum-of-77w.html

Still, if the absolute dismal overclocking performance is true, then Ivy Bridge must be considered a CPU to pass on. To be fair though, Intel, you already gave us the gift of 2500K, so all is forgiven for a while.

With Ivy bridge comes the gift of discounted 2500Ks.
That is amazing.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Any idea on the possibility of Z77 Micro-ATX boards? I've been considering building the next machine with Micro-ATX because I barely use the extra peripherals, etc. that come with a full ATX.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."
I would assume though, that if I'm looking to upgrade, am currently on an E8400, and don't care about overclocking, that waiting for Ivy Bridge would be the way to go?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Sure, why not? It will be the latest and greatest, though budget i3 dual-cores might take longer to come to market. Quad cores will be out shortly, though.

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

Any idea on the possibility of Z77 Micro-ATX boards? I've been considering building the next machine with Micro-ATX because I barely use the extra peripherals, etc. that come with a full ATX.

They exist. More will exist shortly as they are released.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

You mean this?

Or this?

Or any of these?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I should have been more specific. Whatever the latest Ivy Bridge, Intel manufactured Micro-ATX board is. If it exists.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Intel is kinda paring down its desktop board business, judging by trends (like selling their China business to Foxconn). You could get a DB75EN, but it's an Executive-series board, not an Extreme.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I should have been more specific. Whatever the latest Ivy Bridge, Intel manufactured Micro-ATX board is. If it exists.
Just curious, but what reasons are there in particular for using an intel manufactured board?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nuvan posted:

I would assume though, that if I'm looking to upgrade, am currently on an E8400, and don't care about overclocking, that waiting for Ivy Bridge would be the way to go?

There's a serious argument to be made for jumping on a i5-2500k or an i7-2600k because there are some ridiculous deals to clear out inventory right now. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a SB and an IB CPU once it is in your system.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Allstone posted:

Just curious, but what reasons are there in particular for using an intel manufactured board?

I've been purchasing Intel-reference boards for a while now, generally because I feel as though they're a bit more stable for my use. Additionally, it's a "why not just get everything from the manufacturer" kind of thing. I don't really overclock and I don't typically use the massive amount of extras/features that other motherboard manufacturers include (why would I want built-in WiFi on a motherboard?). I also feel like Intel will stick to more standardized specifications when it comes to the design/construction of their motherboards. A lot of Intel applications that integrate with their motherboards also seem to have a better quality than competing products (i.e. ASUS' fan monitoring/voltage manipulation applications).

I suppose it's kind of hard to explain but my thought is if I'm going to go with Intel, I'd rather just choose a motherboard from the same company that's building the processor. It's one company making everything work together in a straight-forward fashion (Intel processor, Intel motherboard with an Intel chipset, Intel USB, Intel Gigabit LAN, etc.)

Maybe I'm just being geriatric and old timey with technology. I haven't had any bad luck with sticking to Intel for as much as possible, but if they're phasing out their motherboard line then I guess I have no choice.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 21, 2012

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I've been purchasing Intel-reference boards for a while now, generally because I feel as though they're a bit more stable for my use. Additionally, it's a "why not just get everything from the manufacturer" kind of thing. I don't really overclock and I don't typically use the massive amount of extras/features that other motherboard manufacturers include (why would I want built-in WiFi on a motherboard?). I also feel like Intel will stick to more standardized specifications when it comes to the design/construction of their motherboards. A lot of Intel applications that integrate with their motherboards also seem to have a better quality than competing products (i.e. ASUS' fan monitoring/voltage manipulation applications).

I suppose it's kind of hard to explain but my thought is if I'm going to go with Intel, I'd rather just choose a motherboard from the same company that's building the processor. It's one company making everything work together in a straight-forward fashion (Intel processor, Intel motherboard with an Intel chipset, Intel USB, Intel Gigabit LAN, etc.)

Maybe I'm just being geriatric and old timey with technology. I haven't had any bad luck with sticking to Intel for as much as possible, but if they're phasing out their motherboard line then I guess I have no choice.
Right, fair enough, I can certainly respect that. Intel's UEFI implementation is excellent, from what I hear.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Picked up an ASUS P8Z77-M Pro the other day. Had actually intended on grabbing a Z68 board for a new SNB build, but the usual place I grab parts from didn't have any in stock, so I went to a more expensive local joint, who had just gotten the Panther Point stuff in stock that week. $150AUD later, and I can't say I'm unhappy.

I've been a Gigabyte fan for the past few builds after some pretty bad early experiences with ASUS gear, but I'm pretty impressed with the quality of what I assume ASUS intended to be a mid-end board. For a uATX board especially, it's got pretty much everything you'd want, without any unnecessary fluff. I can't give any feedback on performance, as the jump from my W3550 Xeon to the 2500k is a pretty substantial one, but for any prospective buyers, I can vouch for the build quality and the BIOS as both being top notch, for practically entry level money.

I don't know if it'll ever get an Ivy Bridge processor, unless the gains are pretty serious or I somehow kill this i5, but knowing that I'll be able to walk into a store and buy a "sweet spot" CPU well into 2013 is pretty reassuring.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

Why Z77 instead of a Z75. Are you going to use Intel SRT?

I'd like to get an Intel branded Z75 board myself especially to get an Intel nic instead of Realtek.

calcio fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 22, 2012

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
Is there a chance that these are early and faulty samples or is this the real deal?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

For the sake of perspective, their overclocking performance meets or exceeds that of Sandy Bridge by all appearances - lower numbers provide faster performance here, it's not just the exact cycle count, it's what's going on during said cycles and there the process shrink and transistor change (while not optimized yet) is still going to provide plenty of good stuff.

It's a hell of a thing to see chips catch flak when they get a trivial 25% performance boost, with the "real overclocking work starts here" past adding a free 1000mhz to the clock speed. Expectations may be misleading people into wanting more than is really... I dunno, fair to expect.

All it means in practice is that Sandy Bridge users don't have any reason to feel especially screwed or anything, which is possibly the worst reason to gripe, in my opinion?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

(why would I want built-in WiFi on a motherboard?)

Yeah seriously, you want WiFi on-die.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ivy Bridge reviews are up, Anandtech forums provides a quick list of them:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2241122

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
Have any retailers actually put Ivy Bridge up for order/preorder, or is that happening on the 29th?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

As someone who has a quadcore AMD space heater in my room I can't wait to snatch up some Sandy Bridge systems as people upgrade. I just wonder if thunderbolt support will be worth it on desktop side.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Here's the all important quote:

AnandTech posted:

My recommendation – if you run an overclocked Sandy Bridge system now, do not jump to Ivy Bridge. You may be severely disappointed by the overclocking performance.

So yeah, people aren't going to be upgrading from Sandy Bridge.

The main benefit of Ivy Bridge is actually mundane in a way - it should provide a much higher baseline for integrated graphics performance, which will make picking out a laptop in future more enjoyable, as you won't always feel like you have to keep searching for one with a dGPU.

vv There's no doubt it was necessary for all these new things to come together. I'll be most interested to see laptops based on Ivy Bridge

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 23, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Eh, I think that the main points for Ivy Bridge were to get their 22nm process working, practical tri-gate transistors, and to lower the overall thermal profile. I think that Ivy Bridge is going to be the "look ma, it works!" in the grand scheme of things, but it's still going to be able to hold its own.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Phone posted:

Eh, I think that the main points for Ivy Bridge were to get their 22nm process working, practical tri-gate transistors, and to lower the overall thermal profile. I think that Ivy Bridge is going to be the "look ma, it works!" in the grand scheme of things, but it's still going to be able to hold its own.

I'm still plenty excited for this. Increasing multiplier and not loving with voltage is all I ever really do for OC. And that's fine on IB. Coming from lynnfield, this is going to be great. tired of drat near pouring sweat while gaming because opening the windows (in winter) results in freezing ones balls to the chair.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Coredump posted:

As someone who has a quadcore AMD space heater in my room I can't wait to snatch up some Sandy Bridge systems as people upgrade. I just wonder if thunderbolt support will be worth it on desktop side.

I'm sure some idiots will be doing this [2500k is only marginally slower than the 3570k, and it is easier to overclock.]

But even if they did do this, IVB is socket compatible with SNB, which means its most likely that people will just be pulling on their 2600k or 2500k and dropping in the appropriate replacement. Not selling a whole system.

I'm upgrading an E8400 box to IVB and I'm a bit disappointed that it isn't as good an overclocker as SNB was, but it makes sense considering its the first 22nm cpu from intel. The process is as good as it needs to be, but not as good as it will be when the next 'tock' releases.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I held out for IVB. I want to overclock around 4.5GHz, but I only have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Incidentally, I built my brother a 2500k rig with the same cooler last week, and his is running at 4.5Ghz with about 28/29 idle.

I know coolers aren't that expensive, but it all adds to cost. I don't know whether to get the 2600k cheap or get the 3770k. Advice?

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I held out for IVB. I want to overclock around 4.5GHz, but I only have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Incidentally, I built my brother a 2500k rig with the same cooler last week, and his is running at 4.5Ghz with about 28/29 idle.

I know coolers aren't that expensive, but it all adds to cost. I don't know whether to get the 2600k cheap or get the 3770k. Advice?
If the Microcenter $199 2600K deal comes back, get that. I know I will. Pair it up with a H100 and see if I can get 5.0 GHz at reasonable temps.

I'm running a 2500K @ 4.8 GHz right now (1.38 V) on a Coolermaster 212 Evo, and judging by the various reviews, 4.8 GHz is more-or-less impossible for Ivy without serious water cooling.

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Have any retailers actually put Ivy Bridge up for order/preorder, or is that happening on the 29th?

From what I've gleaned off my news feed, it's officially for sale from online retailers & brick & mortar stores only on the 29th.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Some stores here are listing them as in stock as of noon today, I don't know whether they just wanna scalp preorders or are really shipping .

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

tijag posted:

I'm sure some idiots will be doing this [2500k is only marginally slower than the 3570k, and it is easier to overclock.]

But even if they did do this, IVB is socket compatible with SNB, which means its most likely that people will just be pulling on their 2600k or 2500k and dropping in the appropriate replacement. Not selling a whole system.

I'm upgrading an E8400 box to IVB and I'm a bit disappointed that it isn't as good an overclocker as SNB was, but it makes sense considering its the first 22nm cpu from intel. The process is as good as it needs to be, but not as good as it will be when the next 'tock' releases.

Sandy Bridge has resulted in some reeeally spoiled overclockers :) I'm right there mentally, I understand what you mean, but the thing will do a trivial 25%-30% performance increase without having to do hardly anything at all, and change its default turbo behavior to turbo-on-all-cores for a quantifiable improvement in multi-threaded applications as well. If its OC ceiling is a little lower than the average Sandy Bridge chip (where we're still basically going on Asus' engineers' statements regarding overclocking capability - I know getting mine stably up to 4.7 was some work, and 4.5 was not trivially easy either), it makes up for it by having more efficient clock for clock execution. That 6-7% clock for clock improvement (still the figure, right?) goes a pretty long way when we're talking about adding more than a third again of the nominal performance to the chip. If 4.5GHz is the new 4.8GHz, we're not losing much in net performance outcomes and they've managed to actualize a really important process shrink and lithography update.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Agreed posted:

That 6-7% clock for clock improvement (still the figure, right?)

OCZ's clock for clock benching says mostly 4% +/-2%. AnandTech got a smidge higher, but also a couple -1% to 0% results, and one 13% result.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Ah, well. If the generation ends up being a poo poo sandwich and the poo poo is made out of free 25-30% performance improvement, I still feel like that's, you know, some pretty tasty poo poo.

fishmonger
Jan 26, 2004

This is a title.

movax posted:

Would be nice to see some PCIe 3.0 SATA/SAS HBAs for cheap NAS platforms too. I had to get a X58 over SNB because it didn't have enough PCIe lanes.

Ummm ... huh? X58 only has 36 PCIe Gen2 lanes ... 72 if you buy a dual-IOH system (2 chipsets).

A dual E2600 system has 80 lanes of Gen3 connected directly to the CPUs (40 lanes per CPU).

The southbridges are essentially equal in both cases.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
That's SNB-E, though, and it didn't come out for quite a while vs. SNB.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fishmonger posted:

Ummm ... huh? X58 only has 36 PCIe Gen2 lanes ... 72 if you buy a dual-IOH system (2 chipsets).

A dual E2600 system has 80 lanes of Gen3 connected directly to the CPUs (40 lanes per CPU).

The southbridges are essentially equal in both cases.

Yeah, this was early 2011. Regular Sandy Bridge was a regression from X58 in terms of raw PCIe lanes available. Used X58/LGA1366 hardware was really cheap, which made the decision easier as well.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Coredump posted:

I just wonder if thunderbolt support will be worth it on desktop side.
Well as long you have enough slots in your desktop and you're a relatively normal user I wouldn't worry too much about it. There was a bunch of pro video stuff shown at NAB but that's a niche. I guess if you had a laptop with TB and got peripherals for that it'd be useful if you wanted to use them with your desktop too. It's still early and most stuff right now is either extreme high end specialty equipment or just really expensive versions of things you can get through PCIe slots.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

calcio posted:

Why Z77 instead of a Z75. Are you going to use Intel SRT?

I'd like to get an Intel branded Z75 board myself especially to get an Intel nic instead of Realtek.

Essentially, yes. I had noticed that was a feature only in the Z77. I'm on an e8400 system now so Ivy Bridge is my next step. I would just like to have all the bells and whistles and I've been leaning towards using Intel SSDs again anyway. If I'm feeling good and want to spend money then perhaps I'll lean towards SRT & RAID-0 SSDs then rely on my WHS 2011 to make daily backups in case there's a big failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Which one, SRT or RAID 0 SSDs? SRT for mixing a single small SSD and a hard drive at a lower effort/cost but lower speed than a separate larger SSD. RAID 0 SSDs is a little bit on the silly side, but can't be used with SRT regardless of how silly anyone thinks they are.