Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Does the Personal Hotspot feature work with an iPhone + Straight Talk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

None of the prepaid plans officially support tethering or hotspot features, no.

On the flip side, if you have for example a Nexus or modded Android phone which lets you enable tethering, you can generally use that without them noticing as long as you don't abuse it.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Rastor posted:

None of the prepaid plans officially support tethering or hotspot features, no.

On the flip side, if you have for example a Nexus or modded Android phone which lets you enable tethering, you can generally use that without them noticing as long as you don't abuse it.

This doesn't help for his iPhone on straight talk, but you can now add tethering to a T-mobile monthly plan for $15.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah any phone on Tmobile can be one-click-rooted and given a free tethering app in less time than the time it takes to go and sign up for the $15/mo tethering service. I really wouldn't recommend anyone actually pay for it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I plan on buying an unlocked Galaxy Nexus and doing the StraightTalk/AT&T plan...I'd like to do T-Mobile's plan, since it's a better value (100 minutes is plenty for me), but they have terrible coverage here...according to their map, there is only 2G data service here...:/

AT&T has "4G"..I mean...not real 4G (LTE), but whatever their previous 4G was (HSPA+)? Either way, certainly faster than T-Mobile's 2G.

But since I'm paying ~$80 on Sprint, even paying ~$50 on StraightTalk after taxes and fees will save me $30 a month, which means the Nexus pays for itself after ~9 months compared to buying it subsidized and staying with Sprint.

My big question is what happens to my phone number when I ditch Sprint? I have the GV integration, so my GV number IS my Sprint number...so will I still get to keep that and have perfect GV integration? Or will I have to get a new phone number, AND/OR new GV number and then pay the $$ to forward it?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 22, 2012

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I'm finally free of my stupid Verizon contract and I'm looking to move. I just ordered a used, unlocked HTC G2 off ebay. When it arrives, I need to figure out what to do with it. I'm eyeing Straight Talk T-Mobile. Just wondering if there's any reason to choose the $60/month T-Mobile plan over the $45/month Straight Talk plan? Both have unlimited talk/text/data (up to 1-2 GB). (The cell is my only phone, so the $30/month T-Mobile plan with 100 minutes wouldn't suit me so well.) I'm in the Atlanta area if that makes a difference. Just wondered if goons had any experience or suggestions with either or both carriers.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

My big question is what happens to my phone number when I ditch Sprint? I have the GV integration, so my GV number IS my Sprint number...so will I still get to keep that and have perfect GV integration? Or will I have to get a new phone number, AND/OR new GV number and then pay the $$ to forward it?
According to this, Sprint's numbers belong to Sprint until you port them out, even if you have the Google Voice feature.

Blue Scream posted:

Just wondering if there's any reason to choose the $60/month T-Mobile plan over the $45/month Straight Talk plan? Both have unlimited talk/text/data (up to 1-2 GB).
The main difference here is that T-Mobile's plans are really unlimited, they throttle your speed when you go over the allowance but don't care how many total bytes you use. Straight Talk on the other hand has been known to text or even call people who start to use too much data, giving them "helpful tips" on how to not be such a data hog.

Basically, Straight Talk should be fine unless you plan to stream data to your phone all day long.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So there are rumors floating around that the HTC Evo 3D might be coming to Virgin Mobile USA. It's listed as "unofficially announced" on several mobile news sites, though it seems sketchy to me considering the Evo 3D is one of Sprint's better phones. It's not the best phone out there--indeed, I have several friends who tell me it has some notable issues--but it's certainly better than the Triumph or the Optimus, so I'd switch over to it in a heartbeat.

I've been considering switching to T-Mobile, but the Evo 3D might be enough to make me stay. I guess we'll wait and see.

Arob1000
Jul 30, 2006
The man, the myth, the legend...

BlackFrost posted:

So there are rumors floating around that the HTC Evo 3D might be coming to Virgin Mobile USA. It's listed as "unofficially announced" on several mobile news sites, though it seems sketchy to me considering the Evo 3D is one of Sprint's better phones. It's not the best phone out there--indeed, I have several friends who tell me it has some notable issues--but it's certainly better than the Triumph or the Optimus, so I'd switch over to it in a heartbeat.

I've been considering switching to T-Mobile, but the Evo 3D might be enough to make me stay. I guess we'll wait and see.

What are the issues? I'm grandfathered on the $25 plan and I'm not sure I'd ever want to switch services, but I'm hoping to upgrade from the Optimus V eventually.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption
My wife and I are grandfathered on the 25 dollar plan with our Optimus V's but I am leaving. The issue we are having with the network is getting old. I have talked to the foreign call center one too many times now. They tried to convince me that its not the network its that my wife's phone and mine broke in the same way at exactly the same time.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

cycowolf posted:

My wife and I are grandfathered on the 25 dollar plan with our Optimus V's but I am leaving. The issue we are having with the network is getting old. I have talked to the foreign call center one too many times now. They tried to convince me that its not the network its that my wife's phone and mine broke in the same way at exactly the same time.

Sprint has a map of planned network improvements, might want to see if there's any improvements going on in your areas. My data speeds of improved recently.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption

Mister Fister posted:

Sprint has a map of planned network improvements, might want to see if there's any improvements going on in your areas. My data speeds of improved recently.

The weird thing is that we can not make or get calls and text but the 3G is working better than it ever has before.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Arob1000 posted:

What are the issues? I'm grandfathered on the $25 plan and I'm not sure I'd ever want to switch services, but I'm hoping to upgrade from the Optimus V eventually.

Little things, like the volume being really low and it apparently locks up a lot. There were more, but those are the only two I remember (and the volume one is the one I worry about because I rely on my phone as an alarm clock). From what I recall, it's nothing that'll make you hate the phone, just little quirks here and there. It's not the greatest phone, but on a prepaid plan it would be completely worth it.

Another rumor is that it will come to Virgin sporting ICS, which would be wonderful. Seeing as it took forever to get a Gingerbread phone on the service, though, I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit on that one. Still, the EVO 3D would be nice.

Funk
Feb 16, 2006
I am now officially considering the switch to android with this

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa

Now, what's a good way to get a MicroSIM card for T-Mobile Prepaid?

Funk fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 24, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Galaxy Nexus uses a standard SIM, just order the SIM from the OP.

MicroSIMs are for iPhones and Verizon LTE stuff.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Rastor posted:

The Galaxy Nexus uses a standard SIM, just order the SIM from the OP.

MicroSIMs are for iPhones and Verizon LTE stuff.

And the new Nokia windows phones.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Funk posted:

I am now officially considering the switch to android with this

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa

That's freaking awesome, wish I had seen this a few weeks ago. That should work great with the $30 T-mobile plan and save you about $1000 over 2 years. There are options for a warranty but I don't think any are worth it. Most cost almost $75 and have around a $75 deductible. Personally I'll take a 50-50 that I won't break it.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
There's a lot of talk about using Groove IP combined with the T-Mo $30 plan. Is anyone using this successfully? Groove IP seems to have major issues staying connected when I'm switching from wifi to 3g and back, and sometimes disconnects for no reason at all and won't reconnect until I go into the app.

These issues with Groove IP are holding me back from trying the T-Mo option.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I use Groove IP, but only for outbound calling. If I have a solid 4G connection it works fine, I tried once shortly after my flight landed when everyone whipped out their phones and that just wasn't happening with so many people sharing the tower.

If I needed to send/receive many phone calls with my phone, I wouldn't want to deal with it, I'd be looking at an unlimited voice minutes plan.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Now that the Gnex is available contract free stateside, tell me about porting to Tmobile's $30 100/U/U plan. Can you fire up the plan, get a Tmobile number, and then port an old Sprint number into your Tmobile prepaid plan?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Stick100 posted:

That's freaking awesome, wish I had seen this a few weeks ago.

It wouldn't have helped you a few weeks ago considering this type of direct sale from google is only a couple days old.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Arob1000 posted:

Looks like you're out of luck. I'm on the grandfathered $25 plan as well and got this text today:

'Starting 5/27/12, new smartphones will be subject to current plan rates. This will apply if you switch phones."

Source: http://vm.tmce.biz/wap4?app=virginmobile&c=vir&NEXT=P31

I guess that lends some weight to the HTC Evo 3D rumours but it still seems like a really lovely move on VM's part. With the data problems I've been having it may be just enough for me to consider jumping ship.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Turnquiet posted:

Now that the Gnex is available contract free stateside, tell me about porting to Tmobile's $30 100/U/U plan. Can you fire up the plan, get a Tmobile number, and then port an old Sprint number into your Tmobile prepaid plan?

The plan is only available to new signups, so here's the series of steps you need to take:
1) Buy new T-mobile SIM card. There is at least one amazon seller who ships them for a dollar or two.
2) Sign up for the $30 ONLINE. Not in store, not on the phone, online. Pick the correct plan. Don't sign up for any other since it's only available for new activations.
3) Once activated, call T-mobile and ask for a number port. They'll need your temp Tmobile number (given when you activated in step 2), the number you're porting, plus the account number and password/PIN from your sprint plan.

If your $30 plan ever lapses because you didn't have money in the account for a renewal or if you switch plans you can't get it back, so you have to make sure to always have money in your account when the billing date comes around.

Naffer fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 25, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Naffer posted:

The plan is only available to new signups, so here's the series of steps you need to take:
1) Buy new T-mobile SIM card. There is at least one amazon seller who ships them for a dollar or two.
2) Sign up for the $30 ONLINE. Not in store, not on the phone, online. Pick the correct plan. Don't sign up for any other since it's only available for new activations.
3) Once activated, call T-mobile and ask for a number port. They'll need your temp Tmobile number (given when you activated in step 2), the number you're porting, plus the account number and password/PIN from your sprint plan.

If your $30 plan ever lapses because you didn't have money in the account for a renewal or if you switch plans you can't get it back, so you have to make sure to always have money in your account when the billing date comes around.

Even if it lapses one day you lose it???

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

That does sound very odd, Naffer what's your source?

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
It's technically possible that your number could be lost by letting your service end, even for a day, but it's unlikely. It typically takes a few months before your number happens to have been reassigned to another customer.

Just last week I reactivated a prepaid phone someone hadn't had service on since last December and they still got the same number.

e: It's also somewhat important to note that while you can port your postpaid number to a prepaid plan, you typically can't port your prepaid number to a postpaid plan.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Rastor posted:

That does sound very odd, Naffer what's your source?

I might be wrong actually. The fine print of T-mobile's monthly 4G plans says this:

Tmobile posted:

Monthly Plans: Features available for 30 days; if sufficient account balance, plans automatically renew at the end of 30 days. If balance is insufficient to renew for 60 days, account will be converted to Prepaid - Pay As You Go.
Which I interpreted to mean that you get auto-switched from the plan if you don't have the money in the account. I didn't see the 60 day part. There were a few people in the Howard Mobile thread about this plan who experienced problems with the plan auto-renewing who had to call and have a CSR fix it.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Crow_Robot posted:

e: It's also somewhat important to note that while you can port your postpaid number to a prepaid plan, you typically can't port your prepaid number to a postpaid plan.

Even on another provider?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rubby posted:

Looks like you're out of luck. I'm on the grandfathered $25 plan as well and got this text today:

'Starting 5/27/12, new smartphones will be subject to current plan rates. This will apply if you switch phones."

Source: http://vm.tmce.biz/wap4?app=virginmobile&c=vir&NEXT=P31

I guess that lends some weight to the HTC Evo 3D rumours but it still seems like a really lovely move on VM's part. With the data problems I've been having it may be just enough for me to consider jumping ship.

drat that is lame. I know they were never under any obligation to grandfather us in the first place, but it feels so arbitrary to do it under those conditions. I suppose even the flimsiest excuse to put an end to those plans is the best opportunity they have to do it and not look too bad.

And to be fair, I suppose anyone who can afford a new $200-$300 phone isn't exactly strapped for cash. But as someone who's been sticking with VM primarily due to being grandfathered onto the $25 plan, I might have to start looking into T-Mobile now. I wanted to drop this Intercept like a bad habit as soon as the next good VM phone came around, but if a plan cost increase comes along with that too, then there's really no reason to stay...

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Sir Lemming posted:

drat that is lame. I know they were never under any obligation to grandfather us in the first place, but it feels so arbitrary to do it under those conditions. I suppose even the flimsiest excuse to put an end to those plans is the best opportunity they have to do it and not look too bad.

And to be fair, I suppose anyone who can afford a new $200-$300 phone isn't exactly strapped for cash. But as someone who's been sticking with VM primarily due to being grandfathered onto the $25 plan, I might have to start looking into T-Mobile now. I wanted to drop this Intercept like a bad habit as soon as the next good VM phone came around, but if a plan cost increase comes along with that too, then there's really no reason to stay...

This comes around the same time as this announcement though:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57420760-94/sprint-plans-to-bring-wimax-to-boost-mobile-virgin-mobile/
Trading the grandfathered plan for WiMax might not be all that bad, even if it is more expensive.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/24/samsung-galaxy-note-for-t-mobile-spotted-in-the-wild/

This makes me want to get one for the $30 plan and use google voice.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Stupid question, but for the T-mobile/Walmart $30 plan, can you also add the $100/1000 minute plan on top of that to add additional minutes to the paltry 100 minutes/month?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

1karus posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/24/samsung-galaxy-note-for-t-mobile-spotted-in-the-wild/

This makes me want to get one for the $30 plan and use google voice.

I wonder if that is the exynos version since it doesn't have the LTE radio. If so, that IS really nice.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Mister Fister posted:

Stupid question, but for the T-mobile/Walmart $30 plan, can you also add the $100/1000 minute plan on top of that to add additional minutes to the paltry 100 minutes/month?
i think you are maybe confusing the plans with the prepaid account refills.

So the plan costs $30/month (30 days) which gives you unlimited texts and data (first 5GB unthrottled), and 100 minutes. Additional minutes cost $0.10 each, deducted from your account.

You put money into your prepaid account either with a credit card or a refill card, with the $100 refill cards being popular. So at $0.10/minute, a $100 refill is good for 1000 minutes.

If you actually used 1000 minutes in a month, you would have $30 + (900 * $0.10) = $120 deducted from your prepaid account. Which would mean you would have been better off with the $70/month unlimited minutes plan.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What's the cheapest unlimited everything T-Mobile plan and cheapest unlimited everything straight talk plan?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Straight Talk, on both, at $45/month. (Straight Talk sells both T-Mobile and AT&T service)

Technically SIMple mobile is less for unlimited on T-Mobile at $40/month, but they throttle speeds on that plan to less than 500kbps.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
My wife and I are on a super old Alltell plan that got grandfathered into Verizon when they merged, we pay like $30 a month, get 300 minutes, and can talk to each other as much as we want - which works well for us since we usually call each other to talk during our 30+ minute commutes home every night.

While I've wanted a smartphone for years I just couldn't justify paying the $100ish a month that some of the major carriers are asking, and besides, from my point of view they've been abusing their customers by taking advantage of their market share for years, jacking up their prices while at the same time limiting service. I wouldn't want to give them my money even if I had it to give.

A couple of months ago I was introduced to how far prepaid smartphone plans have come when a coworker was showing me his Virgin Mobile phone, unlimited talk/text/data for only $5 more a month than I was paying. That really got my interest, and while you do have to buy the phones upfront, the fact that I'd be saving, in same cases, thousands of dollars over what I'd be spending on a contract really made it seem like a smart buy.

Now that my contract is up and I'll have some extra cash at the end of this month, I've been trying to do some research the past couple of days to figure out how to best make the move.

1) At first glance a Galaxy Nexus with the $30 100-minute T-mobile plan seems like the best bang for your buck right now, especially if you're using Google Voice (though I don't really 'get' how this works exactly) instead of your minutes, is that right? Unfortunately for me T-Mobile's data map says there's only 3G available in my area, which according to the OP means Google Voice is a no-no for me, and unless that plan had unlimited mobile to mobile my wife and I would blow through those 100 minutes talking to each other during our evening commutes in like three days.

2) Having never owned a smartphone before I really don't have any idea of how much data I'll be using, so the other cheapskate option - Straight Talk, might also not be a very good fit for me. I spend a lot of my day driving, and can see myself using navigation, streaming music, and listening to podcasts on a daily basis, surely that'd blow through the 1-2GB cap each month?

3) That'd leave the discount carriers, it doesn't sound like Virgin has any sexy phones at the moment (though the rumored One V seems decent?), I've heard MetroPCS is terrible in my area, I don't know anything about Boost, and then after that plans get too expensive for me to consider.

Does that about sum things up as they are right now? Any thoughts on which direction I should go? I still feel awfully lost.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Rastor posted:

i think you are maybe confusing the plans with the prepaid account refills.

So the plan costs $30/month (30 days) which gives you unlimited texts and data (first 5GB unthrottled), and 100 minutes. Additional minutes cost $0.10 each, deducted from your account.

You put money into your prepaid account either with a credit card or a refill card, with the $100 refill cards being popular. So at $0.10/minute, a $100 refill is good for 1000 minutes.

If you actually used 1000 minutes in a month, you would have $30 + (900 * $0.10) = $120 deducted from your prepaid account. Which would mean you would have been better off with the $70/month unlimited minutes plan.

Ahhhhhhhh ok, drat that sucks, so i guess those 1000 minutes from the refill cards don't last a full year?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I had a crappy dumbphone + Verizon contract until almost a year ago, switched to Virgin + Optimus V then. I moved to Chicago and am pretty much never home, I use my phone for nearly everything now so I'm losing patience with the OV much faster than expected, it was fine for just texting and checking the weather and stuff before I moved. I stuck with Virgin because I figured I'd upgrade fairly soon, but they don't seem to have anything more compelling than the Triumph, and now that I can't keep my $25 plan after an upgrade Virgin seems kind of obsolete as a whole.

My phone is pretty much like a little computer to me, I could probably scrape by with 100 voice minutes/month. I want a really good phone and could wait another month or so if needed... am I missing anything (either upcoming phones or something much better available with a contract) or is the Galaxy Nexus + T-Mobile $30/month pretty much the best thing for me? I have decent credit, I could go back to a contract but don't really see any compelling reason to.

I think the prepaid = poor paradigm is really loving stupid. Let me think, $400 up front for a decent phone, or $100-200 in exchange for being gouged an extra $50/month for two years? Why are rich people renting their phones instead of just paying for them? :allears:

Straker fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Ahhhhhhhh ok, drat that sucks, so i guess those 1000 minutes from the refill cards don't last a full year?

If you buy a $100 refill card or add $100 with a credit card you get $100 in your account to be used for whatever. When you go over the 100 minutes on the $30 plan each minute costs 10 cents deducted from your balance. It doesn't expire as long as your account is active.

I don't see much point in keeping a $100 balance on your account though, when you could have that money in the bank earning interest. I usually keep ~$15 in so I don't have to worry about going over and not having minutes, and have it autocharge the $30 for the plan every month.

Long Francesco fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 25, 2012

• Locked thread