Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

MrLonghair posted:

People take loans and credit just to donate to these things. People ruin their personal economies for it. Remember Japan Relief Done Quick? Just as that started one donor piped up with how he'd only just then been able to pay off his donations from AGDQ2011.

Donating to charity is cool and all but doing it with money you don't have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

But VIDEOGAMES

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
The N64athon has definitely been way smoother since we switched over the hosting to my twitch, and the first high-profile run of the night has started with ingx24 and Majora's Mask. During that is the SM64 120-star Relay and immediately after is Cosmo's Ocarina of Time MST run. Come watch and consider throwing us some money! http://twitch.tv/peaches__

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
If you guys remember Cyghfer from the past marathon (Mario RPG, Mega Man 2, and Link to the Past), he's doing a four-day Mario RPG world record attempt marathon, now with the Japanese version to save time compete with the Japanese players. It'll start late on Monday, and the plan is to go through Thursday (with breaks and sleep). He's excellent at the game, and it's very fun to watch, especially with commentary.

He hasn't been streaming most of his practice, but he's been working on it a lot lately, and the run is a great watch! Most RPGs are boring as hell to watch, but Mario RPG has a lot going for it.

You should follow him on Twitch so you can get notified when he goes live: http://www.twitch.tv/cyghfer

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 22, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Longinus00 posted:

Donating to charity is cool and all but doing it with money you don't have?

Schadenfreude for the rest of us.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Live from Iowa, it's saturday night speedruns!

http://www.twitch.tv/klaige - CV: Bloodlines
http://www.twitch.tv/murphagator - Rollergames

Also thanks to big events on Twitch.tv this weekend the chat is currently making GBS threads out but hopefully it'll stabilize here at some point.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Grawl posted:

That's not the one. It happened during the end, when Final Fantasy VII was finished.

Oh yeah I forgot he was a sad person more than once. Well anyway, ask and ye shall recieve (as long as I have free time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekRl8XbpShc

Also I am enjoying N64-a-thon, perfect thing to glance over to when there's a lull in work (I really want that Hori pad).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

absolutely anything posted:

Oh yeah I forgot he was a sad person more than once. Well anyway, ask and ye shall recieve (as long as I have free time)

Also I am enjoying N64-a-thon, perfect thing to glance over to when there's a lull in work (I really want that Hori pad).

A minute into it and it's the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Oh lord, I remember watching that and feeling terrible that I was finding the awkwardness hilarious. Maybe I'll toss an extra 20 to SDA during the next marathon.

FighterKnuckles posted:

That is so awkward I could barely stand it, but the ending totally made it worth it.

Holy poo poo, I should have watched this to the end. That is loving hilarious.

Deki fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 22, 2012

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Deki posted:

Maybe I'll toss an extra 20 to SDA during the next marathon.

Just make sure to put it against a condition where JMan has to wear a strip of duct tape over his mouth whenever he's on stream and not actively playing.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Vakal posted:

Just make sure to put it against a condition where JMan has to wear a strip of duct tape over his mouth whenever he's on stream and not actively playing.

I'd put 40 towards him not being there at all, but sadly I don't think they'd go for it, though I'm sure most individual members would secretly support it.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

That is so awkward I could barely stand it, but the ending totally made it worth it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Yeah yeah JMan is a sad man. You know what's not sad? The N64athon that's still going on! Go watch and maybe donate to these dudes: http://justin.tv/peaches__

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
So UltraJMan walks into a fight with his mom...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIG7E5N3YD8

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
That poo poo is weird and completely alienating to people who casually enjoy speedruns (me).

That guy could be on an episode of Law and Order: SVU though.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Just killed the stream, what a day. We finished with a grand total of $800, thanks so much to everyone who watched or donated!

edit:

holy poo poo :lol: at the ending. It doesn't quite capture the awkwardness of being there in person though, especially without all the lighthearted context of the previous shoutouts. Also I did not realize how loving bored I looked (I was). I hope nobody mistook my ear digging as genuine

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 22, 2012

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I donated and watched all day I am the alpha-thanks (good stream good job (even if i didn't win (i didn't win aaaaaaaa)))

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

furry drum circle posted:

Just killed the stream, what a day. We finished with a grand total of $800, thanks so much to everyone who watched or donated!

Oh good! I'm glad you guys hit your goal. I wasn't able to watch too much of it, but what I did see looked pretty crazy and fun.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

furry drum circle posted:

It doesn't quite capture the awkwardness of being there in person though, especially without all the lighthearted context of the previous shoutouts. Also I did not realize how loving bored I looked (I was). I hope nobody mistook my ear digging as genuine

I don't remember it too well, but I was standing/sitting off camera waiting for it to end since it dragged on and on. I also wasn't around for those curse-filled runs of his, thankfully.

Don't think he ever talked to me for the whole week, either. Probably afraid of me or something :j:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Family emergency is over but Im stuck at my parents' house for another few days.

I still want to do speed run scrub league, so I'll be getting that together as soon as I get back. I've decided the game of choice will be Marathon II. We'll run it for the month of may, but you guys can get a head start. Since I've never played the game myself I have no idea what's in store for us but if anyone familiar with the game wants to chime in on things like categories, strategies and such feel free to. I'll start the thread as soon as I'm back on my computer.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The Sunday Sequence Break is now live. This week's episode is on Mike Tyson's Punchout, starring sinister1 and adelikat: http://www.twitch.tv/thesundaysequencebreak

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HKR posted:

I still want to do speed run scrub league, so I'll be getting that together as soon as I get back. I've decided the game of choice will be Marathon II. We'll run it for the month of may, but you guys can get a head start. Since I've never played the game myself I have no idea what's in store for us but if anyone familiar with the game wants to chime in on things like categories, strategies and such feel free to. I'll start the thread as soon as I'm back on my computer.

I've never tried to speedrun M2, but I have played it normally a bunch (and have done some M1 speedruns and Vidmasters of single levels), so here goes.

Getting the game: you can download it here for linux, windows, or OSX (along with the original Marathon and the third game, Marathon Infinity). M2 is also available on XBLA, if you prefer - as far as I know there are no significant differences in gameplay. Recording might be trickier, though!

It is worth playing through the game once without speedrunning (and M1 and Mi, if you have time) just for the levels and story.

Setup: the default settings map Q and E to look left/right and have a really shockingly high mouse sensitivity. You probaby want to change this. Difficulty level is also configured in the preferences, not when you start a new game.

Categories: the biggest distinction is between whole-game or single-level, and which difficulty level you play on (higher difficulty levels change enemy numbers, types and placement, not just AI/damage/hp). There are also further challenges you could impose, such as no damage taken, no healing used, all enemies killed, fists only, etc, but you don't want too many categories. For the scrub league, individual level runs on Normal or Total Carnage is probably the best choice.

Single-level play: hold down CTRL+SHIFT while starting a new game and it'll take you to a level select menu. You will start the one selected with 100% health and air, one pistol, and 32 bullets. A "traditional Vidmaster run" means playing each level this way (limiting yourself to fists, pistol, and whatever weapons you can find in the level proper) on the hardest difficulty level - Total Carnage.

Whole-game play: just start a new game and play until the end. You can do it either single-segment or segmented, but be aware that Marathon uses save points, so you can't always end a segment right before a particularly nasty part.

Personally I find whole-game too much work and will stick with single-level play. :)

And now, some useful techniques.

Chording: running diagonally (forward+left/right) is faster than running straight forward or sideways.

Floating: you can't jump, but you fall very slowly and with no loss of forward momentum, making it easy to cross gaps that look impassable. You can also curve your trajectory sharply by turning left or right as you fall.

Grenade jumping: the alt-fire on the assault rifle is a grenade launcher. Launch the grenade ahead of you for height, or behind you for distance. Don't die!

Grenade switching: switches and buttons can be triggered from afar using grenades or fusion bolts. This is mandatory in some levels, but even when it's not, triggering a switch from across the room can save you some time. Note that this won't trigger terminals, doors, or health chargers.

Infighting: like in Doom, enemies will turn on each other if you can get them to hit one another. Friendlies will also turn on you if you attack them, so watch out.

Turbo Fist: the humble fist does damage dependent on how fast you're moving. At a full-speed run, a single punch is more powerful than a pistol bullet and will instantly liquefy weaker enemies.

Objectives: in most levels you can complete the mission objectives whether you read about them on the terminals or not - the first level is a good example of this, as you can install both chips without ever talking to Durandal, then run back and access the terminal to skip the original briefing entirely and end the level.

I'll post some stuff on recording once I've done more testing of it; Marathon's built-in demo recording was originally intended for recording deathmatches and is notoriously finicky in singleplayer in both the original and Aleph One. You can of course always use external recording software like FRAPS.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Where can I find the Ape Escape speedruns by Sea Urchin Sushi mentioned on the Sunday Sequence Break?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

sinister1 is streaming some blindfolded Punchout for shits and grins: http://www.twitch.tv/sinisterwon

He seems to be having technical difficulties with his cart, though. Hopefully it starts to play nice.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Thanks for the writeup ToxicFrog. I've played some Marathon 2 before but I never got very far, I really like games from that era though. I'll definitely make an attempt at the scrub league.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Keyboard Kid posted:

If you guys remember Cyghfer from the past marathon (Mario RPG, Mega Man 2, and Link to the Past), he's doing a four-day Mario RPG world record attempt marathon, now with the Japanese version to save time compete with the Japanese players. It'll start late on Monday, and the plan is to go through Thursday (with breaks and sleep). He's excellent at the game, and it's very fun to watch, especially with commentary.

He hasn't been streaming most of his practice, but he's been working on it a lot lately, and the run is a great watch! Most RPGs are boring as hell to watch, but Mario RPG has a lot going for it.

You should follow him on Twitch so you can get notified when he goes live: http://www.twitch.tv/cyghfer

Just a reminder for folks, this starts sometime today!

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
http://www.twitch.tv/cyghfer

Mario RPG attempts marathon will be starting at 2PM EST. LIVE

If you haven't noticed, TwitchTV's chat has been utter poo poo lately so go to #mariorpg on irc.speeddemosarchive.com to join the VIP chat. If you don't know what this irc nonsense is about, go to http://speedrunslive.com/channel/ , enter a nickname (default is banned to avoid spam), and type /join #mariorpg .

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 23, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Keyboard Kid posted:

Mario RPG attempts marathon will be starting at 2PM EST.

If you haven't noticed, TwitchTV's chat has been utter poo poo lately so go to #mariorpg on irc.speeddemosarchive.com to join the VIP chat. If you don't know what this irc nonsense is about, go to http://speedrunslive.com/channel/ , enter a nickname (default is banned to avoid spam), and type /join #mariorpg .

It's live! JUMP ON IT, JUMP ON IT!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Keyboard Kid posted:

Mario RPG attempts marathon will be starting at 2PM EST. LIVE

Watch this poo poo y'all it's super good.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Been watching it since the start. He might have the WR in hand very shortly but he'll be finetuning it over the next few days anyways so tune in whenever you get a chance.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Smithy totally hosed him over and he ended up basically tying the record. Wow.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Good news is he had horrible luck all over that run and still more or less tied it so he's going to beat this record's rear end when he puts it all together and gets some good luck.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Basically the only good luck he had was at the most absurd place of all - the battle rooms. He's totally got this sometime soon.

Oh and the cake, too.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 24, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Why the hell do the Japanese include the credits are part of the run?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah, it's really stupid. but I guess the 10 minute credit sequence is a good time for cyg to take a break after finishing an attempt. then there's the bunny in the japanese guy's recording.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
It makes me sad when he starts over an entire speedrun 20 minutes in because he hit 15 enemies with the star instead of 16.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Recording Marathon speedruns

Marathon has a built-in demo recording feature. This feature is an unreliable clusterfuck and will bring you nothing but pain. It is primarily useful for recording multiplayer games. In general you are much better off recording externally, either with video capture hardware or with something like Fraps; once you have that you can transcode to something more compact (like H.264+AAC, or possibly even H.264+AAC) and upload.

Keep in mind that Marathon is, natively, widescreen; in the original version the HUD covered the bottom portion of the screen entirely, in modern versions it just fills the entire (wide) screen and uses a transparent HUD. It is also locked at 30fps, so recording at framerates greater than that are a waste; that said, I've had massive headaches with video editing software assuming that 30fps is actually 29.97fps (NTSC framerate), so you may want to record at 29.97 or 60 just to avoid this.

If you must resort to Marathon's built in recording, here's how.

First of all, this won't work for multi-level runs; it starts recording when the level loads, but it stops recording when you switch levels (or, sometimes, keeps recording but desyncs hilariously).

For single-level runs, start play normally. When you get to the final terminal, open the terminal and let it sit for a few seconds (sometimes the last few seconds of video get cut off). Then close the terminal and teleport out as normal. Hit escape, return to the menu, and click "save last film". Then watch it (with "replay saved film") to make sure that it doesn't cut off ten seconds before the terminal or desync five seconds in or something.

Congratulations, you now have a Marathon demo file (called Replays/something.filA in your Aleph One user settings directory). You can now replay it yourself, or share it with other people (and pray it doesn't desync for them).

If it doesn't record you teleporting out, that's entirely normal. If it cuts off before you even reach the terminal, however, you need to wait for longer.

Yes, this can be a problem if you reach the terminal while under fire. There's a reason I recommend using fraps.

Here is a fairly sloppy run of the first level, Waterloo Waterpark, in 1'08" (timed from when the level finishes loading to when I open the final terminal). Here is the corresponding demo file.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Cyghfer got hosed on by the Axem Rangers and had to restart. Almost 2 hours down the drain, jeez.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Cyghfer got hosed on by the Axem Rangers and had to restart. Almost 2 hours down the drain, jeez.

He said he didn't go into that fight in the best of shape, either. Something about using an ice bomb where he shouldn't have but I wasn't entirely paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Can someone post when he goes live for the day?

• Locked thread