Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

xamphear posted:

Are you saying that when you install the en-gb version of Firefox, the spell check doesn't work as expected?

The British version of Firefox doesn't come with the dictionary built in - you have to download it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Prize Loser posted:

Copy and paste the part under the "technical details" arrow for us. Or screenshot it or something. There are a dozen reasons you could be getting an error on every SSL page, and some are pretty simple fixes. The page should give enough detail to figure out what problem it is without needing you to disable certificate checking.
Here:

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Xander77 posted:

Here:

They said under the Technical Details section, ie you'd need to expand that part :)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Doesn't look clickable though.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Riso posted:

Doesn't look clickable though.

The yellow wedge next to the text should be.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Plug-in "click to play" (click-to-activate) is now available in Nightly builds. This keeps all plug-ins deactivated until a user clicks on a plug-in object, at which point all plug-ins are activated for that page. They hope to have this feature and the ability to remember settings on a per-site basis available for Firefox 14, but it may not be ready in time.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Alereon posted:

Plug-in "click to play" (click-to-activate) is now available in Nightly builds. This keeps all plug-ins deactivated until a user clicks on a plug-in object, at which point all plug-ins are activated for that page. They hope to have this feature and the ability to remember settings on a per-site basis available for Firefox 14, but it may not be ready in time.

Is it not basically Flashblock that also blocks Java?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Noscript also does this for Java, Flash, Silverlight and "other plugins"

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Tamba posted:

Noscript also does this for Java, Flash, Silverlight and "other plugins"

Except instead of reloading the page for each and every subdomain, this wouldn't be nearly so annoying nor would it break basic functionality on so many websites.

Seriously, Noscript is a nice security tool if you're willing to put up with the hassle, but it should never, ever, ever be the default behavior of Firefox. This proposal of click-to-start is a reasonable attempt at compromise, but I'll have to see it in action to form a meaningful opinion on it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

kapinga posted:

Except instead of reloading the page for each and every subdomain
When you open the NoScript menu, you can click on multiple domains before closing it, so you only need one reload. Maybe you got confused with RequestPolicy, which unfortunately doesn't work that way.

Anyway, agree that it absolutely shouldn't get anywhere the default Firefox package.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

midnightclimax posted:

Anyone know an add-on that hides all menu/tool-bars, and just gives you the window frame and the web page? In windowed mode, respectively.

Found one that's pretty cool and does exactly just that:
MinUI
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/minui/?src=api

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

midnightclimax posted:

Found one that's pretty cool and does exactly just that:
MinUI
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/minui/?src=api

I have been wondering if there is something like this for photo viewing and when I am not watching Netflix in fullscreen. Thanks so much!

edit: I can't seem to get it to work. Perhaps it's because I am using Waterfox.

Jasta fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 15, 2012

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is there a way, preferably an extension, to block images/adds based on the url they link to when clicked?

The name of the image is something like http://www.goodsite.com/stringofnumbers.jpg. Mousing over it shows a link to http://www.badsite.com/whatever. I want to block images that link to "badsite", but I don't want to block "goodsite".

Adblock Plus doesn't work since it only looks at the name of the image, not where it links to I guess.

Any ideas on this, I found the extension BlockSite, which breaks the hyperlink of the picture, but the ads themselves still show up.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Xenoborg posted:

Is there a way, preferably an extension, to block images/adds based on the url they link to when clicked?

The name of the image is something like http://www.goodsite.com/stringofnumbers.jpg. Mousing over it shows a link to http://www.badsite.com/whatever. I want to block images that link to "badsite", but I don't want to block "goodsite".

Adblock Plus doesn't work since it only looks at the name of the image, not where it links to I guess.

Any ideas on this, I found the extension BlockSite, which breaks the hyperlink of the picture, but the ads themselves still show up.
If this is on a specific site, you could try Adblock Plus Element Hiding Helper and see if you can block the ad based on other criteria, like the name of the div it's in.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

When you open the NoScript menu, you can click on multiple domains before closing it, so you only need one reload. Maybe you got confused with RequestPolicy, which unfortunately doesn't work that way.

I think he means the tendency for some sites to not load until you permit a domain, refresh, then see like five more pop up which also have to be permitted, then you refresh again, and sometimes do this again and again before the poo poo actually works. Temporarily Allow All This Page gets around it alright but it also permits known-lovely domains and sometimes STILL doesn't get around this nested-loading stuff.

I use NoScript and love it, but I'm willing to put up with it for the security benefits. Trying to get any of my non-tech-savvy friends or family to use it is nearly impossible, however, so some kind of click-to-enable feature would be a good middle-ground for average users, so long as it's either off by default or really really easy to tweak.

Similarly, I've seen mention that Firefox's new image viewing thing (centered on black backdrop) can't be disabled without a third-party addon. Is there anything that allows this change without additional overhead, like a userchrome.css edit or something? I don't mind it that much, but sometimes I appreciate the old single-image-viewing style for specific purposes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Waffnuffly posted:

Similarly, I've seen mention that Firefox's new image viewing thing (centered on black backdrop) can't be disabled without a third-party addon. Is there anything that allows this change without additional overhead, like a userchrome.css edit or something? I don't mind it that much, but sometimes I appreciate the old single-image-viewing style for specific purposes.

The addon I use for this apparently does it by removing a stylesheet that 'Bug 376997' added in. I'm too lazy to dig around in the bug tracker or the guts of the addon to figure out how to kill it manually, but it shouldn't be impossible.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

The addon I use for this apparently does it by removing a stylesheet that 'Bug 376997' added in. I'm too lazy to dig around in the bug tracker or the guts of the addon to figure out how to kill it manually, but it shouldn't be impossible.

Thanks for this! The "bug" linked on there actually led me to instructions on how to do it. It was really easy (using PaleMoon here so it was slightly different, no omni.ja file):

1) Open ..\Pale Moon\res\
2) Open TopLevelImageDocument.css
3) Comment out the whole @media not print block (wrap with /* and */ at the start and end), like this:

code:
/*
@media not print {
  body {
    background-color: #222;
    margin: 0;
  }

img {
    position: absolute;
    margin: auto;
    top: 0;
    right: 0;
    bottom: 0;
    left: 0;
  }
}
*/
4) Save and reopen the browser. Done.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 21, 2012

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I've been wanting to get rid of some Firefox extensions for a while, but for some reason whenever I go to the addons menu the extensions part of it is completely blank despite themes/plugins showing up fine. Is there something obvious I'm missing? The extensions themselves are working fine, they just aren't showing up in the addons menu for some reason. I tried restarting Firefox in safe mode but got the same result.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

GUI posted:

I've been wanting to get rid of some Firefox extensions for a while, but for some reason whenever I go to the addons menu the extensions part of it is completely blank despite themes/plugins showing up fine. Is there something obvious I'm missing? The extensions themselves are working fine, they just aren't showing up in the addons menu for some reason. I tried restarting Firefox in safe mode but got the same result.
Are you launching Firefox as admin? If that doesn't help, this may be one of the few things that uninstalling and reinstalling can fix (make sure not to delete your data when prompted), if that doesn't do it either, try a new profile.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
12 is now out. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/products/download.html?product=firefox-12.0&os=win&lang=en-US

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but, about two days ago, Gmail turned into some kind of abomination of design. They had been threatening it for a while now, but it had always been optional... until now. Now it's forced and there's no option to change it back and the "themes" available don't make it any better.

Every time I open Gmail it's disheartening. Please, somebody tell me there is a legendary hero somewhere who thought ahead and created some sort of Greasemonkey script or an extension or a stylesheet or sorts that I can load into my Firefox and fix this abomination.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

If you haven't already, switch the display density to compact on the gear in the top right, makes it a little more bearable.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thanks, Waterfox uninstaller, for not warning me that removing my settings will also effect my Firefox install as well. :allears:

At least Sync retained my bookmarks. Now I have to get my addons back.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Apparently too new for the Firefox site :ohdear:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Not anymore. It's 11.0 again.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I'm still getting 12 through the link. The official date is tomorrow anyways, so if you are still getting 11 wait.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Not anymore. It's 11.0 again.

There's an ftp link here.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
FileHippo.com had 12.0 up.
Glad that it finally installed the BG update service.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib
Still no mention of 13.0b1, no candidates even. I guess they have until the end of the day, but it's still a bit strange.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Those always seem to take a couple of days. If I'm recalling correctly the other platforms didn't shift over until 3-4 days later last time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Xenoborg posted:

If you haven't already, switch the display density to compact on the gear in the top right, makes it a little more bearable.

I had already. It... doesn't help much. Oh god, I'm going to have to get used to this ugly thing because someone at Google is an idiot. A very big idiot. A massive twat.

Oh, and yeah, Waterfox and any fork we use will most likely use the exact same profile, including settings, extensions and whatnot of the official Firefox. Don't uninstall them carelessly.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

I had already. It... doesn't help much. Oh god, I'm going to have to get used to this ugly thing because someone at Google is an idiot. A very big idiot. A massive twat.

Yep. I came very close to setting up an IMAP account in Thunderbird for mine, and just use the annoying webmail layout when I'm out of the house, but then I decided to just consolidate most things into a different account entirely and leave gmail to poo poo I don't trust not to spam me.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, and yeah, Waterfox and any fork we use will most likely use the exact same profile, including settings, extensions and whatnot of the official Firefox. Don't uninstall them carelessly.

Pale Moon uses a separate profile, which makes it fairly annoying when you first install it, but prevents these kinds of problems.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kapinga posted:

Pale Moon uses a separate profile, which makes it fairly annoying when you first install it, but prevents these kinds of problems.

That's not really a "problem", it's the way a firefox profile is meant to work.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but, about two days ago, Gmail turned into some kind of abomination of design. They had been threatening it for a while now, but it had always been optional... until now. Now it's forced and there's no option to change it back and the "themes" available don't make it any better.

Every time I open Gmail it's disheartening. Please, somebody tell me there is a legendary hero somewhere who thought ahead and created some sort of Greasemonkey script or an extension or a stylesheet or sorts that I can load into my Firefox and fix this abomination.
Yeah. Looks like someone at Google changed design for the sake of changing, what happened with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? First the Google search layout, then YouTube player and layout, and now this.

And Firefox still have memory leak problem with just one tab opened.

Section 31 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 25, 2012

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gmail is fine if you use the compact density and text buttons.

And any leaks are almost certainly the fault of a bad extension leaking references to compartments.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The gmail talk is weirding me out, because I've been stuck with that new layout for months now. My condolences to the latest victims. On the brighter side, now you can remove poo poo on the sidebar that you don't actually use (like phone, buzz, etc) and the message selection and manipulation interface stays put at the top of the screen instead of scrolling off.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
Holy crap, new Gmail is fine. Get over it.
Or whine about it some more, then grudgingly click either of these two links.

Does anyone have any idea why the Addons Manager won't find updates for my addons until the updates themselves are over three months old? It only just now discovered an update for Adblock Plus; an update that evidently went live on January 31st. :psyduck: It's been like this ever since the manager was moved from its own little window into a tab. I check for updates manually once a week, but why bother having that functionality if it's not going to detect updates until some kind of months-late automatic push happens?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pseudorandom name posted:

Gmail... text buttons.

Oh my god, thank you!

Settings -> Icon Labels -> text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Kyle Huey has a neat blog post up about the memory leak cleanup functionality coming in Firefox 15. In short, data related to the sites you have open (such as compiled JavaScript) is held in "compartments." These compartments are deleted from memory when the browser is done with them (should be when the page is closed), but sometimes bugs in add-ons (or, less commonly, the browser) mean that the compartment is still being referenced, so it can't be removed and is leaked. This new functionality detects when the page is closed and breaks all references to its compartment, allowing it to be deleted regardless of what buggy add-ons or code are still referencing it. The upside is that this reduces memory leaked during their tests by 80%, the downside is that buggy code that would have previously caused a leak may now throw an exception, which could break some things. They have about 18 weeks until this hits the release channel though (6 each in Nightly, Aurora, Beta), which should be enough time for add-on authors to find and fix breakage.