Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

That sometimes happened to me and I believe it was because the game couldn't connect to the EA servers or some nonsense. Even if you don't do multiplayer you should have 50% at least, but for some reason they decided that if you've not checked in you get zero. I don't even understand why they did that, it's so ridiculous that you can't even play single player without going through EA.

Anyway, try doing the usual. restarting the game and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

skoolmunkee posted:

That sometimes happened to me and I believe it was because the game couldn't connect to the EA servers or some nonsense. Even if you don't do multiplayer you should have 50% at least, but for some reason they decided that if you've not checked in you get zero. I don't even understand why they did that, it's so ridiculous that you can't even play single player without going through EA.

Got it working. All I did was go to the multiplayer menu, create a character, download a few of the free character "packs", and back out. I'm on a free account so there's no way it will let me play any matches anyways. In-game it's back to 50% with a green bar instead of the blue one on the galactic readiness menu.

Must be some weird bug, or EA are being assholes

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

HoveringCheesecake posted:

For all of the poo poo ME1 gets in these threads it is still a great game. If you people hate the gunplay so loving much, just play as a biotic on casual.

And holy poo poo I never did the hipster music thing with Morinth. That is hilarious.

Did you stop reading my post 4 words in? :ohdear:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Man you get an absurd amount of carry weight in singleplayer. I can carry a Valiant V around as an Adept and still get 184% power recharge.

That said, sniper rifles seem terrible on insanity. It takes two headshots to take down a Cerberus trooper with a Valiant V. At least it helped me get the Atlas hijack achievement.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Cbouncerrun posted:

That said, sniper rifles seem terrible on insanity. It takes two headshots to take down a Cerberus trooper with a Valiant V.
The idea is that sniper rifles (in SP, anyway) are used by either Soldiers or Infiltrators because they get massive damage bonuses from AR and Cloaking, and this certainly shows on Insanity.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

That DICK! posted:

Did you stop reading my post 4 words in? :ohdear:

I didn't mean you, I meant some of the 360 and PC users who poo poo all over it at every opportunity.

Good luck ever playing it on PS3! My copy still says "ONLY FOR XBOX 360" and of course it is published by Microsoft. Just get it for PC.

Cbouncerrun posted:

Man you get an absurd amount of carry weight in singleplayer. I can carry a Valiant V around as an Adept and still get 184% power recharge.

That said, sniper rifles seem terrible on insanity. It takes two headshots to take down a Cerberus trooper with a Valiant V. At least it helped me get the Atlas hijack achievement.

The most fun I had with ME2 was an Infiltrator on Insanity, and I'm sure ME3 will be the same whenever I decide to play it again. Maybe in 6 months. I need to bring my femshep through the rest of ME1 and all of ME2 first.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Cbouncerrun posted:

YEah you're not going to get the oomph out of a sniper rifle that an infiltrator or soldier would simply because you've probably built yourself around increasing biotic power damage, are wearing biotic focused armor and dont have access to soldier and infiltrator abilities and passives that massively boost weapon damage.

My adept ended up using a valiant x in my ng+ and only really pulled it out to shoot armored enemies while biotics were on their 1-3 second cooldowns.

Edit - replaying me1 has reminded me just how much I love this series (despite the ending). That first time when you arrive at the citadel is fantastic and seeing kaidan and Ashley awestruck at the scope of the place while checking out the scenic view near the med clinic just helps set the tone for the entire game. Running around, meeting the alien races for the first time, exploring uncharted worlds and landing on them - just so cool.

It's the sense of wonder and exploration that the later games sadly began to shift away from that I love the most about me1

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 22, 2012

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Banjodark posted:

Edit - replaying me1 has reminded me just how much I love this series (despite the ending). That first time when you arrive at the citadel is fantastic and seeing kaidan and Ashley awestruck at the scope of the place while checking out the scenic view near the med clinic just helps set the tone for the entire game. Running around, meeting the alien races for the first time, exploring uncharted worlds and landing on them - just so cool.

I'm just running through Virmire at the moment, with Ryan Shepard, Infiltrator Extraordinaire. :sicknasty: The scene with Sovereign never stops being awesome :suspense:

Edit: Man, ME1 must have the most powerful pistols in any videogame ever.

magimix fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 22, 2012

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Banjodark posted:

It's the sense of wonder and exploration that the later games sadly began to shift away from that I love the most about me1

Seriously, at some point they decided it HAD to be Super loving Gritty, and they never went back. If they make another game in the Mass Effect universe, regardless of what it is, I hope they try to get that sense of wonder back.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I never got a sense of wonder from exploring the same pallet swap planets. Exploration could be nice, but the planets need to have more variety to make it worthwhile.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
gently caress yeah! Regardless of how janky its gameplay design might be, ME1's endgame remains loving awesome. And now its time to break the seal on another ME2 run :3:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I do have a sense of wonder from the fact that the game with one of the worst combat systems I've ever seen somehow became incredibly popular.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Internet Kraken posted:

I never got a sense of wonder from exploring the same pallet swap planets. Exploration could be nice, but the planets need to have more variety to make it worthwhile.

It was entirely in the skyboxes and the music setting the tone.

The actual land was really boring and needed more to see or do. Randomly generated heightmaps offers nothing interesting.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Every now and then there would be obviously constructed pathways for the Mako in the middle of some mountains and stuff, but they were always positioned in a way that you wouldn't ever see them from the right angle. I always found that really odd, like the map was flipped backward or something.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Every now and then there would be obviously constructed pathways for the Mako in the middle of some mountains and stuff, but they were always positioned in a way that you wouldn't ever see them from the right angle. I always found that really odd, like the map was flipped backward or something.

Nodacrux is a 'good' planet for that sort of thing. Even after so many playthroughs, its not unheard of to reach the top of something and be all, 'Huh... So there is a smoother route just here, eh?'.

Aristobulus posted:

The actual land was really boring and needed more to see or do. Randomly generated heightmaps offers nothing interesting.

Its a weirdly specific talent for a studio; like Bioware cornered the market on skybox artists. You see it across all three games.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Aristobulus posted:

I was thinking more of the way the Citadel's presented in the first game, anyway. That's where the wonder came in for me. I dunno, at the time the game was just a bit magical, before it got all shitted up with grimdark and comical cleavage and gratuitous rear end shots. People think the game plays like poo poo now, but back in 2007 we took our awkward gunplay with a side of big open spaceworld and we liked it :corsair:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I seriously just want to play in the universe of Mass Effect, I don't want to do this whole retarded "The universe is entirely hinging upon you!" schtick all the time. Having the whole planet Earth be burning while I'm trying to gallivant around the universe is distracting.

I want to go to Palaven, not during wartime. I wanna go to Thessia and see what a Thessian beach resort is like. I wanna go to Sur'Kesh and hang with the peeps there. The only planet I feel like I "get" is Tuchanka.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I do have a sense of wonder from the fact that the game with one of the worst combat systems I've ever seen somehow became incredibly popular.

I actually really liked the combat in ME1, for the most part. :shobon:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
BAH! For the life of me I cannot decide on a bonus talent for my ME2 Infiltrator. I'm considering keeping AI Hack and Cryo Ammo down, so I have points spare to max out my bonus talent. But what bonus talent to take?

I'm not big on defensive talents in ME2, and for this particular Shepard I want to opreserve class verisimilitude to some extent by not taking a Biotic bonus. I fancy sticking with my base ammo talents (or at least, the one I'll put points into); this isn't optimal in gameplay terms, but I do it here for roleplaying reasons, and to encourage a particular approach to shore party composition.

So far as the remaining talents go... I like the idea of Neural Shock, but it doesn't penetrate defenses. I'm kinda of flip-flopping between Energy Drain and Flashbang Grenade. ED would be undeniably useful, and also would fee right for the class. On the other hand, Flashbang Grenade would make a change of pace, also feels like a git for the class, and it isn't a talent I've used a great deal (be it with Shepard or Kasumi).

Well how about that - I *can* for the life of me decide :haw:

Edit; That said, NS can stagger defended enemies, and has a faster base cooldown also, and is direct to target... (And is a talent I've *never* taken as a bonus, so it'd be something new in those terms) *sigh* Okay, lets re-start this sucker.

Edit: Of course, FG has the further advantage of working on synthetics too. Ah well, I fancied watching the opening cinematics again anyway :shepface:

magimix fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 22, 2012

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I went with armor piercing ammo on my last Infiltrator run and never regretted it. Really came in handy taking on the big targets. Maybe not as flashy as taking a biotic power but I wanted my Shep to be a "normal" dude and the damage bonus was a big help.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I hated Shepard's use of the grenade abilities in ME2. I went with AP Ammo too for my Infiltrator, mainly for Widowing away Scions and the Reaper Baby faster.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Piedmon Sama posted:

I went with armor piercing ammo on my last Infiltrator run and never regretted it. Really came in handy taking on the big targets. Maybe not as flashy as taking a biotic power but I wanted my Shep to be a "normal" dude and the damage bonus was a big help.

AP is an excellent bonus, to be sure, but I've used that on a fair few playthroughs already. Also, I want to stick with core ammo talents (well, talent, at any rate) for this one.

I think I'll get on okay with Flashbangs; I'm way better at throwing grenades than I was last time I tried FBs as a bonus.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

magimix posted:

AP is an excellent bonus, to be sure, but I've used that on a fair few playthroughs already. Also, I want to stick with core ammo talents (well, talent, at any rate) for this one.

I think I'll get on okay with Flashbangs; I'm way better at throwing grenades than I was last time I tried FBs as a bonus.

I always end backup at reave for stripping defenses as a bonus power.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

magimix posted:

Edit: Of course, FG has the further advantage of working on synthetics too. Ah well, I fancied watching the opening cinematics again anyway :shepface:

If you haven't done so ever, you can try out Inferno Grenade and tap points from Incinerate to max it out as they preform similar roles. Inferno Grenade, aimed properly with a certain evolution, can do crazy damage to single targets OR down whole husk mobs depending on the toss. The trick is making sure the shrapnel detonate close together so its damage can stack multiple times in a small area. Usually this means lobbing it against a wall or exploding it at someone's feet.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

HenessyHero posted:

If you haven't done so ever, you can try out Inferno Grenade and tap points from Incinerate to max it out as they preform similar roles. Inferno Grenade, aimed properly with a certain evolution, can do crazy damage to single targets OR down whole husk mobs depending on the toss. The trick is making sure the shrapnel detonate close together so its damage can stack multiple times in a small area. Usually this means lobbing it against a wall or exploding it at someone's feet.

Sounds neat. Tell you what - I'll pencil that in for my 30th ME2 run :shepface:

Edit: I shouldn't have started a new ME2 run so late in the day. The coming working week beckons, and all I want to do is kick arse with my grenade-lobbing Infiltrator :(

magimix fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 22, 2012

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

rotinaj posted:

I seriously just want to play in the universe of Mass Effect, I don't want to do this whole retarded "The universe is entirely hinging upon you!" schtick all the time. Having the whole planet Earth be burning while I'm trying to gallivant around the universe is distracting.

I want to go to Palaven, not during wartime. I wanna go to Thessia and see what a Thessian beach resort is like. I wanna go to Sur'Kesh and hang with the peeps there. The only planet I feel like I "get" is Tuchanka.

Again, this speaks to why the ME trilogy was so engrossing and got people so invested. How many games do you play that invoke that feeling in you? How many is it where the conflict could just stop entirely and you'd still be interested?

As I've said before, the Reapers could've all just fallen into a black hole and I really wouldn't have cared. I just wanted to explore the galaxy and the planets and learn more about the alien races and their cultures and do more cool poo poo with Shep's squad.

Getting a chance to do that by visiting the homeworlds outside of wartime, as you say, could be really interesting. It's what I always hoped might happen in future games after Shepard's story, since clearly Shepard is never going to get away from the huge galaxy spanning threat.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

magimix posted:

Edit: Man, ME1 must have the most powerful pistols in any videogame ever.

Alpha Protocol?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Alpha Protocol?

Tick...tick...tick...tick...tick... BLAOW
5 enemies down

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If only Mass Effect has a "suave" dialogue option.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Speaking of Alpha Protocol, GameStop has it for 12 bucks. Is it worth tearing myself away from Arkham City to get it?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Emphatically yes.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

First ME2 insanity playthrough is going well I've only died a few times, this isn't bad...

*Dies 5 times in a row to Geth Colossus fight*

Why the gently caress does it have to have infinite reinforcements, that's the only thing that fucks me over :argh:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zikan posted:

First ME2 insanity playthrough is going well I've only died a few times, this isn't bad...

Why the gently caress does it have to have infinite reinforcements, that's the only thing that fucks me over :argh:
Go right.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Zikan posted:

That's definitely a fight where it pays to be aggressive. Fortune favors the bold :black101:

If you're a vanguard, you can even charge the colossus from across the map and [RIGHT HOOK] it to death.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I really wish the ME games had more than 2 voice actors for Shepard. Yeah, it's totally beyond the scope of the games to do that, but it would be awesome. Saints Row did that. Sure, the game didn't have nearly as much dialogue and it would cost more time and money that it's worth, but I'd love to have a English Shepard, crazy redneck Shepard, Samuel L. Jackson Shepard, Macho Man Randy Savage Shepard...

Also, character creation seems to be sorely lacking in the sunglasses department.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I started a new ME1 game and I talked to the requisitions officer right after the first mission. He's offering some VII Spectre gear. I'm not even a Spectre yet. Is this normal? It...doesn't seem normal.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Having the Rich achievement unlocks Spectre weapons for every career you have. That was one of the nice things ME1 did, just about every non-DLC achievement included a bonus in-game past gamerscore points.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

BrokenKnees posted:

Having the Rich achievement unlocks Spectre weapons for every career you have. That was one of the nice things ME1 did, just about every non-DLC achievement included a bonus in-game past gamerscore points.
Cool! Rich was the only achievement I actually went out of my way to get, since I knew it affected ME2. Giving me Spectre weapons in ME1 is a nice bonus, even if I can't afford them.

I scrimped and saved up to one million credits and finished my first playthrough with seven million in the bank. Guess I didn't need to worry.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I just got ME2 and started a playthrough and :zaeed:, the FemShep is ugly compared to ME3's FemShep.

Is there anything to tick off when you are importing the save in ME3 to use at least the default ME3 FemShep face?

Also, I feel that the missions in general are better in ME2 than in ME3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

skoolmunkee posted:

The simple explanation is they want to know what you are doing with the game and when and on what. The amount of data being mined by every company out there in the world is mind boggling. NPR was running a story this weekend how within the next five years companies that handle "big data" are going to become a vital part of every day business due to client companies having more data than they know what to do with.

HardDisk posted:

I just got ME2 and started a playthrough and :zaeed:, the FemShep is ugly compared to ME3's FemShep.

Is there anything to tick off when you are importing the save in ME3 to use at least the default ME3 FemShep face?

Also, I feel that the missions in general are better in ME2 than in ME3.

I wish you could use the ME3 Femshep face in the previous games. But from what I've read she's a unique texture or overlay that can't be duplicated. Instead you have to make close approximations.

• Locked thread