Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Re: Alcamoth

That place annoys me, too. The annoying part for me is not finding the NPCs I got quests from (between the quest screen and the affinity chart, I can usually find people in a reasonable amount of time), it's doing the quests themselves. I don't know if it's just me, but with the way Eryth Sea is set up, I just have a devil of a time finding the enemies I need. I don't remember if it was Floating Reef 5 or 6 that had this particular variety of stupid monster on it, never mind trying to hunt down the uniques! :argh:

I finally managed to leave quests alone that aren't timed as a "I'll take care of it when I feel like it" thing, but all the quests I've gotten in Alcamoth are timed. :sigh:

And I've been doing sidequesting lately, because the plot finally caught up to my over-inflated levels that resulted from my obsessive sidequesting (I regret nothing!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

lactomangulation posted:

Late game question: is the following the point of no return - when Miqol asks you if you are ready to enter the Core?

The point of no return is marked by a question asked by Dunban.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Dear god, just how many quests do I need to do in Colony 9 to get Shulk's 4th tree?

The only outstanding quest I have right now is Paola and Narine and there's a quest with Jan I haven't been able to start for some reason.

I've spent all morning doing quests and I've done a few after hitting 4 stars. Can I not get the 4th tree until after a certain plot point? I'm currently on my way to Prison Island and past the Tomb

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I finally managed to leave quests alone that aren't timed as a "I'll take care of it when I feel like it" thing, but all the quests I've gotten in Alcamoth are timed. :sigh:

Don't worry about it. Though the quests are timed, they don't expire until way late in the game. If you're getting burnt out, put those quests on the back burner and do something else for a while.

Shyfted One posted:

Dear god, just how many quests do I need to do in Colony 9 to get Shulk's 4th tree?

The only outstanding quest I have right now is Paola and Narine and there's a quest with Jan I haven't been able to start for some reason.

I've spent all morning doing quests and I've done a few after hitting 4 stars. Can I not get the 4th tree until after a certain plot point? I'm currently on my way to Prison Island and past the Tomb

To unlock the quest to get Shulk's 4th skill tree, you need a little more than exactly 4 stars, and you need to have done Jackson's quests about finding him a job.

Try talking to all of the named NPCs again, and you could get small boosts to your Colony 9 affinity and unlock more quests. If you haven't already, check the NPC section of the spreadsheet to make sure you've actually met all of the Colony 9 NPCs. Just don't navigate away from the NPC section of that spreadsheet, because there are spoilers abound.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Violently Car posted:

The point of no return is marked by a question asked by Dunban.

As others have pointed out, though, there are a series of areas which get locked out (potentially locking you out of collectables) in the endgame. Around the time you get to Fallen Arm you might want to look at the lockout guide that's posted on Gamefaqs if you're really concerned. There's some spoilers about locations, but they keep it fairly vague. I guess weigh the risk of being locked out vs. finding out where you go next.

That Rough Beast fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 22, 2012

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just got to Frontier Village and am in a state of :aaaaa:. This place is enormous and strange as hell!

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

That Rough Beast posted:

As others have pointed out, though, there are a series of areas which get locked out (potentially locking you out of collectables) in the endgame. Around the time you get to Fallen Arm you might want to look at the lockout guide that's posted on Gamefaqs. There's some spoilers about locations, but they keep it fairly vague.

Sure, but he specifically asked for the point of no return.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Violently Car posted:

Sure, but he specifically asked for the point of no return.

No one's saying he didn't? In fact I answered him upthread. I just wanted anyone else to know that for certain areas "point of no return" might have different meanings, and it starts hours before the endgame proper.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Is there no good resolution to the quest "A Young Captain's Challenge"? Either route gives me -3 reputation in Colony 9.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

Draile posted:

Is there no good resolution to the quest "A Young Captain's Challenge"? Either route gives me -3 reputation in Colony 9.

The Quest line continues and makes up for that. There is another soldier who gives you the follow up quest.

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!
Just beat the game, was not expecting that ending, still I enjoyed this game a lot and I'm glad I picked it up.

End Game Spoilers
Ah good old JRPG's, always ending with the main character killing god :v:

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Draile posted:

Look for Miller near the entrance of the military district during the day. He will give you a quest to finish it off. Also the shield is supposed to be the "good" route.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sonel posted:

Look for Miller near the entrance of the military district during the day. He will give you a quest to finish it off. Also the shield is supposed to be the "good" route.

I totally disagree. Having done both routes, I thought the sword route had a more satisfying conclusion. The vision you see of the sword route is very misleading.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Every time I think of Colony 6 my brain does a few mental gymnastics and I can't help but think of Pod 6. Of course, this is what immediately follows.

http://video.adultswim.com/sealab-2021/and-there-goes-pod-six.html

Pod 6 was jerks!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Should I buy the weapons and armor sold at the supply caravan in sword valley? Generally so far in the game, it's not wise to buy stuff from shops aside from artes tomes, and most of them here have one or no slots, but the descriptions tend to imply that they are special. Does anti-mechon stuff drop all over the place in this area, or should I really be blowing all my cash here?

Relatedly, once I proceed past this point, does this shop disappear, or I can come back to it?

stratjacked
Apr 22, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is the best console RPG I have played for a long, long time. I bought it for Wii, but it looks absolutely amazing in the emulator so I transferred my save file to my computer and I've been playing in the emu. It looks so baller in 1080p. I did have to pick up a classic controller though, you'd have to be cray cray to play through with the Wii mote

I'm at about level 33 or 34, and I'm opening the seals to enter Prison Island. Just curious - approximately how far am I though the game?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 23, 2012

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

stratjacked posted:

I'm at about level 33 or 34, and I'm opening the seals to enter Prison Island. Just curious - approximately how far am I though the game?
To my knowledge, you're at about 50%, I think. Quite possibly less!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

Should I buy the weapons and armor sold at the supply caravan in sword valley? Generally so far in the game, it's not wise to buy stuff from shops aside from artes tomes, and most of them here have one or no slots, but the descriptions tend to imply that they are special. Does anti-mechon stuff drop all over the place in this area, or should I really be blowing all my cash here?

I don't believe anti-Mechon stuff drops in Sword Valley, so it's not a bad idea to get an anti-Mechon weapon for each party member (except Melia, who really doesn't need it). In the next town, buying the next step up in anti-Mechon equipment is optional because the enemies start dropping good unique anti-Mechon equipment.

stratjacked posted:

I'd say you're at about 40%.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

U-DO Burger posted:

I don't believe anti-Mechon stuff drops in Sword Valley, so it's not a bad idea to get an anti-Mechon weapon for each party member (except Melia, who really doesn't need it). In the next town, buying the next step up in anti-Mechon equipment is optional because the enemies start dropping good unique anti-Mechon equipment.

Okay, can-do. How about the armor? Is there anything actually especially "anti-mechon" about it, or it just has higher stats, but few slots?

And are the Artes Manuals available elsewhere later or is this my one shot and I'd better buy 'em all before I move on? (or, can I just come back here later?).

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

Okay, can-do. How about the armor? Is there anything actually especially "anti-mechon" about it, or it just has higher stats, but few slots?

And are the Artes Manuals available elsewhere later or is this my one shot and I'd better buy 'em all before I move on? (or, can I just come back here later?).

Armor doesn't have any anti-Mechon properties, so it's just higher stats, or unique gems.

Eventually that store goes away, so definitely buy them now if you can afford them. In the end though, permanently missing an intermediate (white) manual isn't the end of the world. Advanced (black) manuals will unlock levels 4-10 for whatever Art it corresponds to, and there are none that you can miss permanently.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You can come back later but I advise buying the anti mechon weapons for Dunban, Riki and Reyn. If you're controlling Shulk then there's pretty much no need to buy anything except the books.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Got it. Thanks guys. Time to see how much stuff I can afford with my huge "haven't bought anything but artes manuals since 30 hours ago" reserves. :)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Wildtortilla posted:

I just got to Frontier Village and am in a state of :aaaaa:. This place is enormous and strange as hell!

Same, I just got there last night and must've spent 2 hours just going up and down and around looking at the place and talking to people. Even within the area there're a whole ton of :aaaaa: parts to see. This game keeps one-upping itself.

I also swam all the way out to the waterfalls in the preceding area to see if they actually existed or were just a painting. This game. I should not have doubted.

Also I just saw your avatar; you get a character there who, at the time I got him, had his more or less best gear setting him up to look just like your avatar. Not kidding.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Can't wait to see the reactions to the next area and the ensuing annoyance with quests there. I've hit 100 hours now and i'm still not done and it's great except for mopping up loose quests. I know all this poo poo is optional but I'm going to experience all this game has to offer.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 23, 2012

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Spent 7 straight hours playing this today and didn't stop until I noticed it was 5 in the afternoon. I stopped to do some chores and what not.. and now I'm out of things to do three hours later and oh god this game's calling me back...

It's getting close to having the same grip Dark Souls had on me.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So is there any bar or guage for affinity? I'm trying to gift up some affinity, but after countless heart ups, I haven't seen the smiley face change.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Saxophone posted:

So is there any bar or guage for affinity? I'm trying to gift up some affinity, but after countless heart ups, I haven't seen the smiley face change.

Sadly no. It's stupid as hell, but you're just gonna have to keep gifting and checking.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Saxophone posted:

Just the faces. Keep giving those gifts.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I wish this game had some sort of 3DS connectivity (iPhone would be better, but a Nintendo iPhone app, lol). I'd love to take a craft gems during a break at work.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I really wonder what Reyn is gonna do with the 578 pounds of vegetables sharla just gave him...

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
So, just finished the (level 55-56 spoilers)Galahad Fortress and I was like, okay, and here it goes, Shulk is going to change the vision and rescue Fiora before she plummets off the Bionis to her death. But then Shulk throws himself off after her into the abyss! :aaaaa:

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Just started finishing out my default skill trees, and checking some of the 4th tree prereqs I'm WAY low for most of the needed affinities. Any reason I should worry, or are those pretty much for post-game min-maxing?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Poe posted:

Just started finishing out my default skill trees, and checking some of the 4th tree prereqs I'm WAY low for most of the needed affinities. Any reason I should worry, or are those pretty much for post-game min-maxing?

They're pretty much necessary for the post-game, but you should be able to finish the game just fine without them. They have some pretty ridiculous effects too. For example, Shulk's first skill in the 4th skill tree extend all visions by 4 seconds. It's pretty broken.

Some of them are pretty easy to unlock though. Dunban's can be gotten pretty easily by doing a few sidequests in Valak.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but it turns out that I could buy a weapon and each of the armors for almost everyone AND all of the artes manuals, and still not even come close to running out of money.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Question about post game content: I've seen it mentioned multiple times in the thread that there's a fairly obvious point of no return before the end-game, and that numerous areas get locked out prior to that, but does the game open up again after the final boss to allow you to continue with quests/optional bosses etc., or is that it and your only choice is NG+ (a la Dark Souls)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Stockwell posted:

Question about post game content: I've seen it mentioned multiple times in the thread that there's a fairly obvious point of no return before the end-game, and that numerous areas get locked out prior to that, but does the game open up again after the final boss to allow you to continue with quests/optional bosses etc., or is that it and your only choice is NG+ (a la Dark Souls)

You can't save past the point of no return, so once you beat the game you can reload prior to that and wander off to get the poo poo beaten out of you by monsters 30 levels above you do post-game content.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Lakitu7 posted:

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but it turns out that I could buy a weapon and each of the armors for almost everyone AND all of the artes manuals, and still not even come close to running out of money.

I broke the 10 million dollars line myself yesterday. Money is such a non-factor in this game it's ridiculous.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That's largely because the game loves to drop everything for you, and it makes animal murder so non-tedious that I find myself beating the hell out of cow-dinosaurs just because. The economy would probably work better if it wasn't so addicting and fulfilling to do all the quests and kill all the things, but there you have it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Sometimes I've run out of money buying Arts manuals, but then I remember that I can just start hawking the thirty or so Reyn-weapons I've picked up from treasure chests in the past ten minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I just finally finished it. Beat the boss at 77 :smug:
That was a brutal fight though, took me 3 tries.

But man, that ending... it was mind blowing. Even giving a backstory for the world's creation... wow.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 23, 2012

• Locked thread