Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Yes brothers, the whole tape turned out to be incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bagsack posted:

Whoa, didn't mean to cross the genre streams there. I think the vocal styles of The Faceless and Veil of Maya, their production and the general atmosphere of their music puts those bands in a very similar musical niche.

These tracks are insane. I've never checked out Emmure before but I'm totally sold by those vocals. I'd bet I Am Onslaught would be a disgusting track to see live.

Check out "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong" off of Goodbye to Gallows. poo poo gets a little nuts during that song live.

"Tales from the Burg" tends to be good live too.

Cross over Attack is loving insane. Jesus.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I am going to listen to the new Emmure joint b/c I turned out to enjoy Speaker of the Dead. Felony is a hilariously bad shitpile from front to back however. I did enjoy their first two "tapes" back when they became a thing. Complete Guide To Needlework EP and also Goodbye To The Gallows.... owns. However the one with big homey Kurt Angle on the cover was basically one long 30 minute song as near as I can tell.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
The new singles sound good. They're through and through Emmure. I would go see them live if it wasn't for the fanbase. :/

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The new Emmure is mainly excellent with some low points (basically any song in which they try to be melodic/deviate from their brutality formula). Overall it's a solid thing to listen to while lifting weights or whatever. My favorite joint on there is for sure the one about Deadpool. Track 3?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

OnlyJuanMon posted:

The new singles sound good. They're through and through Emmure. I would go see them live if it wasn't for the fanbase. :/

*puts on mesh shorts*
*puts on flat-brimmed Cubs hat, sideways*
*kicks u in the face*

Yeah I have no interest in seeing Emmure live either

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

I'm not above throwing down in a pit, but the fanbase of Emmure at live shows is children ages 14-18.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011
This might be the best thread to post this in. Nine lives, not a single gently caress.

http://youtu.be/u2LTf-dVfuo

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
That is my new favorite video.

Now I want to see him play Hour of Penance.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Ceruleus is a local Daytona Beach FL based djent/deathcore group that you guys should check out. They just released their first EP yesterday and it is fuckin groovy. I think some of you guys will dig it.

http://ceruleusband.bandcamp.com/

very solid work all around. my fav track is Mariana but the whole thing is real nice.

(also check out my band Contacting Nebulas. we're a little more removed from the -core scene but some of you might like our EP, it's more prog-death/mathcore)

http://contactingnebulas.bandcamp.com/album/imaginary-images

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 22, 2012

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

bleedbackwards posted:

Now I want to see him play Hour of Penance.

That is the worst triggered cymbal sound I have heard in my life.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008

deadwing posted:

That is the worst triggered cymbal sound I have heard in my life.

Then it's fitting for a drummer who is a loving machine.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I don't know how much longer any of these videos will be up but it will be officially released tomorrow anyway.

New Acacia Strain song "Servant in the Place of Truth"

e: nvm it got taken down already

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 25, 2012

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't know how much longer any of these videos will be up but it will be officially released tomorrow anyway.

New Acacia Strain song "Servant in the Place of Truth"

e: nvm it got taken down already

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/servant-in-the-place-of-truth

some links on this page. the videos don't work but there's a music player embedded.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Song can be found here: http://orfwej.tumblr.com/post/21735277147/the-acacia-strain-servant-in-the-place-of-truth

and here (for now): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZw5pbgO7KE

As for my opinion on it... I think it's heavy and awesome as gently caress. That's all there really is to say. I'm not a huge fan of the way the vocals sound though for some reason. I always thought Vincent sounded best on The Dead Walk.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 25, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

Song can be found here: http://orfwej.tumblr.com/post/21735277147/the-acacia-strain-servant-in-the-place-of-truth

and here (for now): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZw5pbgO7KE

As for my opinion on it... I think it's heavy and awesome as gently caress. That's all there really is to say. I'm not a huge fan of the way the vocals sound though for some reason. I always thought Vincent sounded best on The Dead Walk.

I think Continent was the best "sounding" Acacia Strain album. Wormwood is awesome but sounds a little too clean.

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
Another link just incase ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2jfahrmHI8

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I am so thoroughly crestfallen that I'm at work right now and can't listen to new Strain, F U C K

My favorite band for 8 years, I haven't disliked anything they've made but do think Wormwood lost a step from Continent

edit: I just ran outside to listen to this on my phone sans-headphones and it owns so loving hard and I think I already like it more than any song on Wormwood

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 25, 2012

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
It seems that The Acacia Strain lost their swagger. The doomy, droning sound of Wormwood didn't really work for them, and the Meshuggah-wannabe riffs are as uninteresting as Meshuggah have been for a decade. I think DL is trying to lock into one slow groove for a whole song, but it doesn't work out. Feels like they've lost the fun element of their music and they're trying to be too serious, just aiming to be as heavy as possible with bending grooves on an eight string, like if 'Skynet' stayed on the first riff for three minutes.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Zodijackylite posted:

Feels like they've lost the fun element of their music and they're trying to be too serious, just aiming to be as heavy as possible with bending grooves on an eight string, like if 'Skynet' stayed on the first riff for three minutes.

I like the new song but I do agree with this. They were a lot more "fun" on 3750/TDW/Continent.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
You guys really didn't think Wormwood was fun?

DRAMA FROM THE DRAMA HATING DRAMA QUEEN

TIME TO SUCK TODAYS DICK

Also, is most of RAS Acacia Strain fans? :v:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

TIME TO SUCK TODAYS DICK

The lyrics have always been violent with a bunch of silly one-liners thrown in that lighten the mood and make it a bit more entertaining. The vocal variation was pretty strong up through Continent too, which helped that out. Wormwood was just straight angry/misanthropic lyrics and mostly monotonous guttural growls, which is lame and I've heard a hundred metal bands doing exactly the same thing. It feels like they're ironing out all the nuances that used to make their music great and set them apart. I'm also sick of hearing bands who are trying to be Meshuggah, because Meshuggah are boring enough already and most of the wannabes can't even jerk off in 25/16 time over a 4/4 beat.

quote:

It would seem so.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

TIME TO SUCK TODAYS DICK

Wormwood is weird. The first four tracks are fun and remind me of some older Strain, then the rest of it transitions into "overly serious, badass, evil, plodding riffage" mode. I usually listen to tracks 1-4 and also Bay of Pigs + The Carpathian when I play Wormwood.

Go Rangers

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

One of the oddities I noticed on Wormwood was in the thanks list. Vincent thanked Dylan Carlson of drone doom/post-rock band Earth as well as Al Cisneros and Matt Pike of the stoner doom band Sleep. The name "Matt Pike" appears four times on Vincent's thanks list, and they also work with a booking agent by the same name at The Kenmore Agency. There's another Matt Pike who works as a roadie with some metal bands, so I suppose there's a running gag about all these guys with the same name.

It's weird to see the straightedge frontman thanking the dudes who are noted for writing the 63-minute epic Dopesmoker, but it does show some influences for the band integrating a death/doom sound to their brand of hardcore.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I realize it was posted 4 pages ago, but I still cannot get over how loving hard Amia Venera Landscape slays. gently caress me this is my new favorite album.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

BiohazrD posted:

I realize it was posted 4 pages ago, but I still cannot get over how loving hard Amia Venera Landscape slays. gently caress me this is my new favorite album.

I'm glad you like them as much as you do. It truly is a shame the album was released at the end of December, missing out on all the year's-best list appearances...they'd have so much more exposure. The 40 seconds starting here are just magical (though obviously the whole song is great).

Hell, the only reason I'd even heard of the band is from regularly checking reading a metal review blog (From the Dust Returned, run by the Penny Arcade metal community, primarily autothrall). The reviewer gave The Long Procession a 9.5 out of 10.

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 27, 2012

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

BiohazrD posted:

Heh brother it was posted even before that,,,I was trying to get people to listen to it like a year ago :smug: but yah it owns, real bad.

Acacia Strain does sound a lot different nowadays but I like it. I'm glad they haven't been doing just the same thing over and over. They aren't quite as funny but there's still good lines like "you shouldn't be outside in your condition/ she shouldn't be walking in her... condition!" The guy who said Wormwood was boring should be shot though.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I loving love the ending to Servant. "I will die laughing" sounds so unbelievably evil. brother, I lifted weights with that song on repeat for an hour on Wednesday

e: by far my biggest issue with newer Strain is Vincent's absolute insistence that 99% of the lyrics in a given song have to be rhymes. Son of a bitch, it's so forced and annoying. Take the lyrics from 3750, Dead Walk or Continent and put them up against Wormwood or the new song. No contest. The forced rhyming will just never sound right to me.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 27, 2012

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Any thoughts on Your Memorial? I'm listening to Atonement right now and it's got a good Misery Signals style vibe. Has anyone seen them live?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I remember when I first saw TAS live I had no idea who they were but I couldn't help but have a blast because Vincent was telling dead baby jokes in between songs and at one point said he wanted the entire audience to poo poo in their pants (what I now know is something he says/said during Brown Noise, appropriately enough). I saw them again at New England Metalfest a long rear end time ago and still didn't know them all that well but I just went off because they were super fun. I miss The Dead Walk era Strain which is my favorite album. Live they are still always fantastic but they're definitely getting slower and heavier on recording. My bigger gripe is that Vincent used to stand out as one of my favorite vocalists but his style has changed slightly over the years and on the new song I feel like it's very "blah". I was a fan of the older style.

Speaking of "blah" the fact that he does that at the end of the song gives me such a boner. My favorite vocalist thing and I'm pretty sure he was influenced by Stray From the Path who does it in abundance.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ugh I wish slamdunk fest in leeds hadn't sold out. I need 4 tickets.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
How am I just finding out about Return From Exile? This band loving kicks rear end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RnfL6Sm8AQ

Edit: Also, as an unabashed Emmure fan since Goodbye to the Gallows, I'm loving this new album so far. I'm glad a lot of people are digging it Etoo.

Edit 2: Just listened to the whole thing, gotta say that Blackheart Reigns is my favorite track off there. The breakdown that comes in around the 2 minute mark is just too good. "WELCOME TO HELL"

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 30, 2012

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Architects have released another song from the new album a couple of days ago, sounds pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcMeXcrstHs

Also, I haven't seen War From A Harlots Mouth mentioned in this thread. Check them out, they are cool dudes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtX2rtaxFG8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUuNhf0BItA&t=90s

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
I don't think that Architects song is as good as the previous 2 they put out recently but it's still solid.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

I can't stop listening to Confession. I know both their albums are pretty similiar but poo poo, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

the dad farm posted:

I can't stop listening to Confession. I know both their albums are pretty similiar but poo poo, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Yes, I wasn't sure I would ever like Crafter after IKTPQ, but boy was I wrong.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Please note that I am not generally a deathcore fan, I went because it was a local show and a friend wanted someone to go with. This is very much an outsider's perspective.

Last night I went to see Veil of Maya on tour with Betraying the Martyrs, Vildjhrata, Structures and Volumes. I normally wouldn't go to a gig like this because I am very selective when it comes to anything that could me construed as tech metal or the dirty word "metalcore" *shudder*, but it was quite an enjoyable evening. Volumes got a great crowd reaction considering they were first on, and the dual vocalists had a very good stage presence. I didn't think there was anything particularly special about their music, but it sounded massive and heavy in a live environment. Next up were Structures. These guys were alright, but not as good as Volumes. The clean vocals sounded a bit dodgy live, and there were sub drops all over the place that were clipping horribly. They still had some good energy though, which was shown by the response they got in the pit. I have literally, never seen anything like it. Arm swingers battling invisible ninjas everywhere, one guy even did a cartwheel across the pit. I had no idea what the gently caress was going on. The pit action was far more entertaining to watch than the band themselves. Vildjhrata probably got the least enthusiastic reaction from the crowd, but were musically my favourite. They had very dark, atmospheric sounds woven with the djent chug, and they sounded spectacularly heavy. Then Betraying the Martyrs hit the stage. Honestly, the less said about them the better. "Epic Christian Deathcore" should be all you need to know. Hideous. Veil of Maya were good but they only played for 40 minutes, which is kind of unacceptable if you're headlining and have something like 3 albums worth of material. I would also have liked to hear more off the new album, but they still put on a good show.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008

ZentraediElite posted:

Any thoughts on Your Memorial? I'm listening to Atonement right now and it's got a good Misery Signals style vibe. Has anyone seen them live?

Atonement is the best Misery Signals album that Misery Signals never released. It sounds so much like Mirrors, it's a little scary. I still enjoy them despite the glaring similarities though.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Volumes is one of the best live shows around, I really dug their LP they put out a few years ago. Their full album Via, really lacked the punch of the LP in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bleedbackwards posted:

Atonement is the best Misery Signals album that Misery Signals never released. It sounds so much like Mirrors, it's a little scary. I still enjoy them despite the glaring similarities though.

I absolutely loved Misery Signals album Controller, so I guess I have to check these guys out too. Thanks! :)