Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay I feel really stupid but I cannot figure out how to make Places of Power work. I did the tutorial once and now I seem to be unable to activate them. Also, what's the little white star on the tip of my vitality bar, that flashes now and then? Some kind of hidden item indicator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

coyo7e posted:

Okay I feel really stupid but I cannot figure out how to make Places of Power work. I did the tutorial once and now I seem to be unable to activate them.
Activate your wolf medallion and walk into the red sparkly area that appears.

coyo7e posted:

Also, what's the little white star on the tip of my vitality bar, that flashes now and then? Some kind of hidden item indicator?
You've leveled up. Go into the Character screen and spend your skill point.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Okay I feel really stupid but I cannot figure out how to make Places of Power work. I did the tutorial once and now I seem to be unable to activate them. Also, what's the little white star on the tip of my vitality bar, that flashes now and then? Some kind of hidden item indicator?
If you have your medallion active (pushing the left stick in on the 360 controller dunno about anything else) and walk into a place of power it should get its effect, unless you have another affect from a different place of power active already.

I think that star you are seeing is actually a plus and means you can level up.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Aha, thanks! For some reason I misremembered from the tutorial that I was supposed to Meditate on every swirlie, but it didn't give me poo poo.

Also, should I chug mutagens ASAP, or can I combine them or improve them somehow if I save them?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's generally recommended that you wait on mutagens until you get some "greater" ones. Don't use "lesser" or the middle ones.

And if you're gonna go for an Alchemist spec, then you should definitely wait until you get the skill that strengthens mutagens.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you have your medallion active (pushing the left stick in on the 360 controller dunno about anything else) and walk into a place of power it should get its effect, unless you have another affect from a different place of power active already.

I think that star you are seeing is actually a plus and means you can level up.

You actually can stack place of power effects.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
This game is absolutely perfect for anyone who's gotten into Game of Thrones as of late.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
If you spare the La Vallette commander at the beginning of the game, and help him escape with you, you can get a "Strong Back" perk which increases your carrying capacity by 50 points, to a total of 300. It says Ability Level 1 on my status screen, so there's a chance it can go higher, maybe.

Hopefully that helps out with people's carry weight problems some. I'm on the 360, so no mods for me! Game looks and plays pretty good.

I also got an Assassin perk by finding what looked like Altair's body nearish the balista at the beginning of the game, and a Pyromancer bonus to fire damage for stepping into a campfire a bunch of times. I also used Signs enough during the castle assault to get a permanent buff, apparently.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
^^^^
Just dont lug 100 pounds of timber around all the time and you'll be fine. Sell unneeded ingredients or better yet store them in your storage chest.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Quen did get nerfed, in a number of ways: the first is that no matter how upgraded it gets, it will only absorb one attack. And now with Fatigue also guarantees that with Quen active you won't be dealing full damage. It's still the best sign in your arsenal.

Ugh that doesnt seem to good, Ive long since past the point where I need to use quen so the nerf doesnt bug me too much, but is there even a point to getting quen upgraded or getting the damage reflect skill?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I never did manage to spare La Valette, despite going through it three times and (I think) picking different options each time. He just seems hell-bent on dueling Geralt to the death.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's not tricky at all, so I'm sure you're the one with the bloodlust. :black101:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Is there any rhyme or reason to how Axii Hex and Intimidate work? I've had them fail in a conversation, then I reload and use the exact same option without changing anything and they succeed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

1stGear posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to how Axii Hex and Intimidate work? I've had them fail in a conversation, then I reload and use the exact same option without changing anything and they succeed.
I dunno but in general, people seem to know what witchers are about, and yet they keep falling for that hex. There's a lot about fantasy worlds that I have a hard time suspending disbelief on.

edit: does anyone remember the sequence off-hand to get La Valette to surrender?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: does anyone remember the sequence off-hand to get La Valette to surrender?
You ask him to surrender. He scoffs. You ask him to surrender again. That's it, swords are dropped.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I would have done that if the choices were obvious... When he seemed reluctant to surrender, the seemingly-best option was to challenge him to a duel.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I would have done that if the choices were obvious... When he seemed reluctant to surrender, the seemingly-best option was to challenge him to a duel.
Yeah, this is what happened to me, I guess. The way he was so adamant against surrendering, I figured asking him again would just get them all to attack me. I figured there was a way on the duel path to somehow make it not a duel to the death.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

First playthrough I made him surrender, second time around I just killed him straight up having forgot the strongback perk was tied to having him live...at least this time I picked up the Assassin perk which I missed on my first playthrough.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Dark is harder than Insanity, though without the hardcore rule. Personally, I love it, it forces me to be a lot more aware of my surroundings, to be more opportunistic instead of domineering.

Quen did get nerfed, in a number of ways: the first is that no matter how upgraded it gets, it will only absorb one attack. And now with Fatigue also guarantees that with Quen active you won't be dealing full damage. It's still the best sign in your arsenal.

The difficulty in Dark mode really levelled off in act 2 though. From what I remember by the end game I was destroying most things except for the last boss which was bullshit because even though my dark set sword had destroyed every single other enemy up until then, I think you had to do a certain number of hits or something so the whole thing became a tedious exercise in quen>roll>roll>roll>hit>quen repeat for 20 minutes.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno but in general, people seem to know what witchers are about, and yet they keep falling for that hex. There's a lot about fantasy worlds that I have a hard time suspending disbelief on.

The average intelligence level of people in the Witcherverse tends to be very low, to the point flying, teleportation, and a whole host of other things are also attributed to Witchers.

The neat thing about Axii Hex is that it tends to only work on the dumb, you can attempt to use it on magical creatures/Witchers/Sorcerers/Sorceresses/Nilfgaardians, and it will fail every time no matter what you do, because they are trained against stuff like that. I think even a few Kings have anti Axii training. It'll give you the option of course, but it just won't do anything besides them calling you out on it.

Same with Persuade/Intimidate, there are a few conversations in the game that if you try to Persuade someone, they'll call you out on it, even if you pass, and if you intimidate certain people, again, even if you pass, you'll get a less then desired result.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Is anyone else experiencing worse performance with the EE? Even with everything on low or off I'm getting microstutters during cutscenes and my FPS never goes above 29. I remember being able to get 40 fps and such during regular gameplay on higher settings! I've no idea why either :(

My specs are as follows:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz
4 GB of RAM
Vista x64
XFX ATI Radeon 4870HD 1GB

I'm running it at 1920x1080, with the following settings:

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Brownie posted:

I'm running it at 1920x1080, with the following settings:

You might want to lower your resolution in addition to your other settings. That's a pretty high resolution for a dual core processor and old videocard.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, your computer looks similar to what I had last year when I first bought the game, and 1920x1080 was definitely not playable for me. I'm surprised that you were able to do it before.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Lycus posted:

Yeah, your computer looks similar to what I had last year when I first bought the game, and 1920x1080 was definitely not playable for me. I'm surprised that you were able to do it before.

I was able to do it with zero problems too. And 1920x1080 is my monitor's native res so lowering produces something which can only be described as "poo poo."

I'm just so confused my performance being so much worse than before when everyone reports that they've optimized it.

I'll try lowering the resolution to see what effect it has on framerate and stuttering just for shits though.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Turn vsync on. It won't increase your FPS, but if you don't have an FPS counter you'll think it did.

It was really counter-intuitive to me, and I only turned it on in desperation because AFAIK they don't implement swap-tear (google "swap-tear extension") and I don't get 60 FPS except in especially uncomplicated scenes, but it makes a world of difference. If I have it off, even in places where it goes up to 70 FPS and more, I get weird hitching, and it ends up about as playable as if I was getting 20 FPS.

It's especially weird because vsync by definition lowers FPS, or in an absolutely perfect implementation would at best not lower it, but give it a shot.

FPS is also terrible in the prologue and arena. Much more complex scenes in the real game do a lot better.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

The Quake posted:

Just a heads up for anyone using a 16:10 aspect ratio. Any of the new cutscenes (barring the intro one) won't display and instead only give you a black screen with sound.

You'll have to play in 16:9 if you want to see the new stuff. Afaik there isn't a fix or acknowledgement of this bug yet.

Isthat actually true? Haven't seen anyone else mention it so far and I don't want to start the game and then wait weeks until it is fixed.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Eezee posted:

Isthat actually true? Haven't seen anyone else mention it so far and I don't want to start the game and then wait weeks until it is fixed.

It only affects a few new occasional cutscenes (usually occurring between chapters). I just switched from 1920x1200 to x1080 to watch it then switched back. It's a fairly minor issue and it's no cause to wait to play the game.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Wesley Walker posted:

Is there some sort of trick to winning at dice poker? After winning the first one to start the quest, I've literally lost 10 in a row.

I wouldn't care if it wasn't an entire sidequest and a way to affect another one.

If you drop rather than toss the dice (or as close as you can get anyway) then sometimes they won't roll and you'll get five or six of a kind in ones.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Turn vsync on. It won't increase your FPS, but if you don't have an FPS counter you'll think it did.

It was really counter-intuitive to me, and I only turned it on in desperation because AFAIK they don't implement swap-tear (google "swap-tear extension") and I don't get 60 FPS except in especially uncomplicated scenes, but it makes a world of difference. If I have it off, even in places where it goes up to 70 FPS and more, I get weird hitching, and it ends up about as playable as if I was getting 20 FPS.

It's especially weird because vsync by definition lowers FPS, or in an absolutely perfect implementation would at best not lower it, but give it a shot.

FPS is also terrible in the prologue and arena. Much more complex scenes in the real game do a lot better.

It makes perfect sense when you actually think about what FPS is, and what vsync does, rather than throwing the term out there as a measurement of more is better.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

NVidia's adaptive vsync is probably worth trying. It turns off vsync below 60 FPS, and turns it on above 60 FPS so you won't get tearing at high framerates and your performance won't be halved if they fall.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've never gotten more than 30fps in this game (sandy bridge i5 laptop with GeForce GT54M), it's always been just on the bottom edge of acceptable. It's a testament to how good the game is that I stuck with it anyway.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So I'm playing Witcher 2 for the first time, on the 360, and I have a hunch that this shouldn't be happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A5S1DaVzM4

Right?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

GhostDog posted:

So I'm playing Witcher 2 for the first time, on the 360, and I have a hunch that this shouldn't be happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A5S1DaVzM4

Right?
Heh, I've seen that bug before but, yeah, that's not supposed to happen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Hey, game, if you're going to make Riposting a thing, at least make it nullify the attack first. I just tried to riposte a Wraith, who proceeded to instantly kill me while I was twirling my blade around. Maybe I missed the prompt? I thought I didn't.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

nessin posted:

It makes perfect sense when you actually think about what FPS is, and what vsync does, rather than throwing the term out there as a measurement of more is better.

No, it really doesn't. Maybe you didn't understand the issue I was describing, or I didn't describe it well, but it both goes completely counter to every other game I've played (a whole lot) and my understanding of how vsync works (I've implemented it).

Anyway, if you're getting jitter in Witcher 2, try turning on vsync even if it renders below your monitor's refresh. If swap-tear is something you can force on, I'd try that (because it's a really nice way to get the best of both worlds) after verifying that turning the game-options version on rather than the driver options. It's possible to make a game unaware of sync-tear and still enable it, in which case it'd be the same (to the game engine, not to you) as if you had vsync disabled, and I suspect the jitter is due to a bug in Witcher's frame-dropping code.

Normally though, you'll get better results by only enabling vsync when you can reliably render at your monitor's refresh. (unless you have sync-tear available)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How's the frame rate on the 360 version anyway?

Overlord7517
Jul 9, 2007
I AM A BAD POSTER I MAKE BAD POSTS.
Ok so I installed the enhanced edition and now the game isn't working at all, even when I launch the launcher as admin or go into the files and run the application as an admin. I'm currently reinstalling, hope that works. Anyone else run into this problem?

I checked the tech support on the witcher website and found nothing regarding this.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Anybody having an error keeping them from finishing the dice missions in Dwarf Town? I have to play the smith's assistant (4/5) and right when I agree to play him in dice, the screen goes black for a bit, and then the dwarf pops back into view and goes through the convo options as if I had lost.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I also got an Assassin perk by finding what looked like Altair's body nearish the balista at the beginning of the game

It's a really hilarious Easter egg, it's nice to play a game that has a good amount of humor.

Holy Calamity! posted:

This game is absolutely perfect for anyone who's gotten into Game of Thrones as of late.

It has mainly similarities such as low fantasy setting mixed with some magical elements and also the similar sense of moral ambiguity especially how even good characters are loaded with character flaws.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Overlord7517 posted:

Ok so I installed the enhanced edition and now the game isn't working at all, even when I launch the launcher as admin or go into the files and run the application as an admin. I'm currently reinstalling, hope that works. Anyone else run into this problem?

I checked the tech support on the witcher website and found nothing regarding this.

[Turn most of this stuff down low. Especially bloom, they have to reneder each frame twice for that, same with motion blur I believe. Otherwise, it's all been covered well above. Don't forget vysnc.

Turn off the MOD_ things in DLC. Fixed the black screens for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

V-sync actually made the stuttering even more apparent, unfortunately. My framerate display seems to randomly refuse to work and instead shows me my CPU temperatures, but yeah still pretty frustrating.

I tried lowering the resolution, and performance really increased, even with all the other settings turned back up, so it's definitely the resolution that's destroying me. Too bad, considering it really looks a lot worse (not as bad as I remember it though, and still better than 720p) and that I was able to run it at 1080p previously, but whatever at least I can play in peace. Thanks for the help guys.

• Locked thread