Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

zachol posted:

bumping it sometimes (?) makes it restart, the dock occasionally just stops working, etc...it's not like the thing was defective
No that's pretty much the definition of "defective" but by all means keep lying to yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No that's pretty much the definition of "defective" but by all means keep lying to yourself.

I think there's a difference between "defective" and just being kinda crappy.
It's not like I'm happy with it. I knew it was going to break eventually, I just expected it to be more like a couple years instead of eight or nine months.

tikan
Apr 30, 2009

zachol posted:

I think there's a difference between "defective" and just being kinda crappy.
It's not like I'm happy with it. I knew it was going to break eventually, I just expected it to be more like a couple years instead of eight or nine months.

Why buy something with the assumption that it will break?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

tikan posted:

Why buy something with the assumption that it will break?

I expect most consumer electronics to break fairly early. Really, I expect most things in general to break early; if something ends up lasting a long time, that's a happy surprise.
Again, I'm not happy with how early this specific thing is breaking. It should've lasted longer. I suppose maybe that does mean it's defective.
What I meant by "this isn't defective" is that I don't think my particular TF101 has an unusual specific defect.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

zachol posted:

Well poo poo.

"Feeling cheap" is a pretty worthless qualitative statement. Many people said that about the GSII, but when l took mine apart to dry it out a few months back, I found a magnesium or aluminum chassis under the plastic. That phone is a goddamn tank under the skin, but nobody would know that without witnessing a teardown.

I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't seen any reports of Asus tablets aging abnormally quickly. The poster referencing 3.5mm jack (which is a component that is prone to a lot of mechanical stress) and docking problems might just be hard on his stuff and he said just as much.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nice edit. Sorry about his low standard for consumer products, I guess.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
It was needlessly inflammatory.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

zachol posted:

Headphone jack is wonky, bumping it sometimes (?) makes it restart, the dock occasionally just stops working, etc.

This is horrible build quality.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I have to agree. I use my Galaxy Tab all the time and it doesn't seem to have nearly as bad hardware QA as the other tablets I've been reading about.

edit: Times are tough in Android Tablet Land when Samsung has the best QA around :v:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

My point is, the TF101 "feels" good, but seems to be having problems (at least mine is), so hearing stuff like "you can flex it" and "if you press the back it bleeds through" (which you certainly can't do with this thing) about the Pad is scary. Maybe they prioritized internals but I kinda doubt it.
I think I might be rough on technology, but even then, bleh. It's especially disappointing because, besides the build quality, it's a fantastic tablet. I like the fundamental form factor, and if they could, I dunno, "toughen it up a little" or whatever, it would be perfect.

e: Or maybe this is an outlier. I don't know.

zachol fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 23, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

nickhimself posted:

This is horrible build quality.

The restarting thing is, but the ports getting wonky after a while is normal with anything if you're not careful especially the headphone port.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

dissss posted:

The restarting thing is, but the ports getting wonky after a while is normal with anything if you're not careful especially the headphone port.

No, it's not.

I've replaced plenty of headphones because the jack is a great source of failure but going over the multitude of electronics that I use headphones with I can honestly say the headphone port has never been an issue, even on my lovely Captivate.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks

Kynetx posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't seen any reports of Asus tablets aging abnormally quickly. The poster referencing 3.5mm jack (which is a component that is prone to a lot of mechanical stress) and docking problems might just be hard on his stuff and he said just as much.
I constantly use my TF101 and it is fine, save one instance where I jammed my power button. The hardest part about that was locating a Torx screwdriver. Otherwise, I have put it through all manner of abuse, and it's not showing any sign of wear.

I don't think the TF101 is a device notorious for build quality issues. I definitely don't see mine dying anytime soon.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

A few other reviewers' comments on TF300 build quality:

AndroidAndMe:

quote:

The build quality of the ASUS Transformer Pad 300 is just alright. There’s very little, if any, give to the device. It feels relatively solid in your hands, and is well weighted. The buttons all feel stable, giving only a gentle click when pushed. The rear camera is flush with the back of the tablet.

Still, at the end of the day, it’s just a big plastic slab. And with polycarbonate-, aluminum- and glass-bodied gadgets coming out left and right, it’s hard not to think of the build quality and design of the Transformer Pad 300 as pretty average.

Anandtech:

quote:

The aluminum is gone and replaced by an all plastic back. The 300 doesn't feel cheap as a result and as you'd expect, feels a little less fragile as you're not as worried about scratching the aluminum.

The added thickness is noticeable compared to the Prime, but the 300 doesn't feel thick by any means. If anything, it's a bit more comfortable to hold than the Prime as a result of its added girth.

The weight is similarly noticeable, but once again I don't believe it puts the 300 in the category of too heavy. As this isn't a replacement for the Prime but rather a more affordable offering below it, these tradeoffs are fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

dissss posted:

A headphone jack should not fail unless you are trying to support the device by the headphone jack.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
My Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 just arrived. It's my first ICS device and first tablet, and so far I'm liking things. I am disappointed with the Peel remote app, though. I wanted a Harmony remote replacement, but its only function is to facilitate watching TV. Picking TV shows, setting inputs to TV, etc. That's all it does. If you don't have cable it borders on useless. After changing my launcher to Apex it crashes when I try to start it, to boot. I haven't seen other apps designed to work with the built in IR blaster yet, but hopefully something will pop up in the future.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

A headphone jack should not fail unless you are trying to support the device by the headphone jack.

Maybe they shouldn't but in my experience they often do. Its easy to get the cable tangled up in something which causes a lot of stain on the port.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've never had a headphone jack fail on any device I've owned over the years, and I've had someone accidentally kick one in my laptop that snapped part of the plug inside. Once I got the broken plug out of the socket, everything is fine and dandy again. I suppose if it had been a cheap plastic laptop, then it probably would have done more damage, but the aluminum construction of my current machine pretty much precludes that.

Consumer electronics should not fail any more than 10% as an absolute ceiling. Full on recalls of entire products start in that area. If you have a string of electronic devices that continuously fail to the point that you expect them to be damaged or not work in short order you are either taking poo poo care of your things or are purchasing cheap/defective items that should be returned.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Budgie posted:

For those of you still experiencing problems with unexpected reboots on the TF101, apparently they're working on it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1556914
I just installed the firmware update, so let's see how this goes.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If anyone's looking to get a cheap refurb of a crappy last-generation Android tablet (I wouldn't), apparently 1saleaday is having a "flash sale".

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Is there really that much of a performance delta between the Tegra 2 and 3?

Anyways, it looks like the official ICS update for the Iconia Tab A500 is being rolled out, with people in France getting updated slightly ahead of schedule.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

illicitporpoises posted:

Is there really that much of a performance delta between the Tegra 2 and 3?
The GPU delta is gigantic.

It was easily Tegra 2's largest shortcoming, which is surprising considering it's an NVIDIA part.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It was easily Tegra 2's largest shortcoming, which is surprising considering it's an NVIDIA part.

NVIDIA had some really bad fab issues with the Tegra2 which kept delaying it. The chip was nearly a year late making it's way into products. Had it launched on time (and NVIDIA kept supporting it with well made drivers) it would probably be fondly remembered right now. As it stands though, it was a 9 months late to market, NVIDIA told the dev community to piss off as far as drivers go, and Tegra 3 started sampling not long after the first Tegra 2 products hit the store shelves.

It really would have been a powerhouse against the OMAP3s and early Snapdragons, too bad it was so late. I mean, they showed the drat chip off at CES 2010 and it was late 1st quarter of 2011 before any products came out.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 24, 2012

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Wow.

Is there anything nVidia can't gently caress up? I guess I should just be happy that I don't have to sit through a TWIMTBP clip every time I turn on my tablet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

NVIDIA had some really bad fab issues with the Tegra2 which kept delaying it. The chip was nearly a year late making it's way into products... I mean, they showed the drat chip off at CES 2010 and it was late 1st quarter of 2011 before any products came out.
Did they not learn from their mistakes? Kal-El (Tegra 3) was first shown a year ago, and you can still count the number of Tegra 3 products with wide availability on one hand.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

illicitporpoises posted:

Wow.

Is there anything nVidia can't gently caress up? I guess I should just be happy that I don't have to sit through a TWIMTBP clip every time I turn on my tablet.

The Geforce 256 was pretty awesome for its time.

Did they not learn from their mistakes? Kal-El (Tegra 3) was first shown a year ago, and you can still count the number of Tegra 3 products with wide availability on one hand.

Im not sure there are any tegra 3 products with wide availablity yet. The Prime has been a joke.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

The Geforce 256 was pretty awesome for its time.

Im not sure there are any tegra 3 products with wide availablity yet. The Prime has been a joke.
Isn't the HTC One X out?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Isn't the HTC One X out?

Yes, i forgot about that one. The international version is T3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The situation with Tegra 3 is still better than tegra 2 by at least 6 months even if it still isn't ideal.

The big difference is, NVIDIA was saying in 2010 that products with tegra 2 will be out by later summer that year and they never materialized.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
ASUS have begun rolling out an ICS stability update to the original Transformer:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/04/24/ics-update-build-9-2-1-21-for-the-asus-eee-pad-transformer-tf101-rolling-out-now/

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Kazy posted:

I have to agree. I use my Galaxy Tab all the time and it doesn't seem to have nearly as bad hardware QA as the other tablets I've been reading about.

edit: Times are tough in Android Tablet Land when Samsung has the best QA around :v:

I would say 30-40% of the Galaxy 10.1s we sold in my store have developed the "oil slick" issue, including 2 that I was using personally.

I would say the best built is the Xyboard, but nobody is buying it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vagrancy posted:

ASUS have begun rolling out an ICS stability update to the original Transformer:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/04/24/ics-update-build-9-2-1-21-for-the-asus-eee-pad-transformer-tf101-rolling-out-now/
Mine has been so rock solid I've not noticed it needed stabilizing. Still, I'll take it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

fondue posted:

Mine has been so rock solid I've not noticed it needed stabilizing. Still, I'll take it.

Heart touching?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Henry Meowlins posted:

I've never had a headphone jack fail on any device I've owned over the years, and I've had someone accidentally kick one in my laptop that snapped part of the plug inside. Once I got the broken plug out of the socket, everything is fine and dandy again. I suppose if it had been a cheap plastic laptop, then it probably would have done more damage, but the aluminum construction of my current machine pretty much precludes that.

If your headphone cable was slightly stronger then the jack would have been the thing to give - exactly this happened to my flatmates MacBook Pro which is probably about as well built as any other laptop.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Jethro posted:

I just installed the firmware update, so let's see how this goes.
Doesn't seem to have fixed my issues.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

dissss posted:

If your headphone cable was slightly stronger then the jack would have been the thing to give - exactly this happened to my flatmates MacBook Pro which is probably about as well built as any other laptop.

Mine is also a MBP.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I just got an Asus TF201 for a trip I'm taking next week. It looks like after I leave the tablet alone for awhile and go back to turn it on, I'm not able to bring it back out of sleep. Pressing the power button doesn't appear to do anything and I have to hold it in for it to do cold boot in order for me to do anything. This sounds like something the older TF101 had but I haven't seen people with 201s complaining about it

I'm assuming the tablet is defective, but my trip is next week so I can't do anything about it now if I want to bring it with me. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

WhyteRyce posted:

I just got an Asus TF201 for a trip I'm taking next week. It looks like after I leave the tablet alone for awhile and go back to turn it on, I'm not able to bring it back out of sleep.

Have you installed all the updates? That was an issue for a week or so right after ICS came out, but has since been fixed. Make sure system update reports that you don't have any updates pending.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Henry Meowlins posted:

Mine is also a MBP.

My point is in your case the plug failed. If you used a different cable it could well have been the jack that gave first, just like in the case I mentioned.

Really someone (Apple) needs to come up with a magsafe connector that can carry audio/data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dissss posted:

Really someone (Apple) needs to come up with a magsafe connector that can carry audio/data.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Only if it's an open standard, and Apple is not likely to allow that. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be stuck with Apple headphones all the time.