Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You need to weld in like 6" of good frame & drive the trick as it sits right now - subcompact city truck :haw:

E: doh, beaten

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Spoiled California check in.

It costs me a little more than 150 bucks a year to register 3 vehicles, and $100 of that is for my "modern car" (im expecting a $20 hike because i just put year of manufacture plates on my cadillac)

The worst rust ive EVER seen is nowhere near as bad as that, cars from the 50s that have been outside since new are pretty rough, but not even half as bad as some of the horror just posted.

mechanical failure?

So in the early days of cars, more stock was put in to how quiet an engine could run, in the 20s and 30s this hit the crescendo with the big american car makers. so what makes a lot of noise? those gal'darn timing gears thats what.. so instead of making them out of a metal, westinghouse devised a fibrous material that held together extremely well and virtually eliminated noise and cut down on wear of the crank gear. They stuck around for many years but by the late 50s engines were making much greater power and the non metal timing gears were replaced with metal.

as we all know, plastics have come a long way since then and sometime in the 80s they thought it wise to start this practice again. to me such a crucial part of the engine should not be made of plastic, but then again... they are making intake manifolds out of plastic now, so what do I know.

so a few weeks back, my friends and I took our classic cars for a road trip from LA to vegas for a car show. we made it there just fine, but on the return trip, my friends 51 chev poo poo the bed on the infamous 15 freeway. no big boom, no noise, just a dead engine, he had gas, but no spark... with limited tools we found that the distributor was not spinning. several towtrucks later, the car was home safe, he tore in to it last week to find...

hmm..

thats not a tooth missing from the metal gear, thats just debris.

ok...

the number one cause of failure on these gears is a lack of oil, we speculate because of heat and viscosicty changes, it just let go. for a quick lol, these cars also do not have full pressure oiling systems, instead it has "dippers" that dip in to the oil pan and throw all around the engine. full pressure became standard, again, in the late 50s. on a newer interference motor, this would have been catastrophic, but a new set of pushrods, aluminum timing gears and a weekend had the car back on the road. id say after 61 years of service, it did its job and then some. im sure there are cars out there with this same gear that are still on the road.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

some texas redneck posted:

Mitch Hedberg posted:

I rent a lot of cars, but I don't always know everything about them. So a lot of times, I drive for like ten miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake. It's really not an emergency brake, it's an emergency "make the car smell funny" lever.
My friend has a Honda Civic, and is from a mountainous area, so she reflexively puts the parking brake on every time she switches off the ignition. It's rather useless and I've been trying to train her out of it, now that she's in northeast Texas. That loving car will not move with the handbrake on, as I discovered the first time I borrowed it.

My V8 Fords have occasionally had the foot-pedal parking brake applied, either intentionally when parked on the one hill within a hundred miles or accidentally when I bump it getting out. I usually don't notice until after I've backed out and shifted into drive, because it feels slightly more sluggish than usual.

I've also had the opposite problem -- my '71 Nova had a bad front wheel cylinder leaking into the drum, and once the rubber hose between frame and caliper on the front of my '84 Crown Vic rotted out. It wasn't so bad on the Ford, with its split master cylinder and power assist, and went out when I was at work three blocks from home so I could crawl through residential streets; pump the hell out of it, and it would eventually stop.

The single-chamber all-manual Chevy, on the other hand, shat itself at the beginning of a 20-mile Interstate/US Highway commute. The pedal was a little squishy at the traffic lights leaving town, but it still stopped, so I decided to try to make it home to my tools. That first offramp was definitely a character-building moment. Protip: slapping a Powerglide into low gear will slow you right the gently caress down, especially with a V8. It's like shifting from fourth to first on a 4-speed. By the time I made it home I was rev-matching the downshifts to simulate normal braking forces and then tapping the e-brake to take it from idling forward to a full stop.

I kinda miss that Powerglide. Accelerating at WOT, it shifted around 65mph.

LobsterboyX posted:

for a quick lol, these cars also do not have full pressure oiling systems, instead it has "dippers" that dip in to the oil pan and throw all around the engine.
My parents had a riding lawnmower with that type of oiling (Lowe's house brand with a 13ish-horse Briggs, I think). The dipper was made of plastic and broke at least once a year. Dad and I took that loving engine apart at least three times before he gave up and bought a new one.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Delivery McGee posted:

My friend has a Honda Civic, and is from a mountainous area, so she reflexively puts the parking brake on every time she switches off the ignition. It's rather useless and I've been trying to train her out of it, now that she's in northeast Texas. That loving car will not move with the handbrake on, as I discovered the first time I borrowed it.

Sounds like it isn't the handbrake that's useless.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kastein posted:

OH GOD I DROVE THIS? :stare::stare::gonk:

That's not a horrible mechanical failure. It's barely a 4 on the open Sockington scale.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Sir Cornelius posted:

That's not a horrible mechanical failure. It's barely a 4 on the open Sockington scale.

So it only counts when there's more daylight than metal then?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sir Cornelius posted:

a 4 on the open Sockington scale.

The sockington scale needs to be an official measure.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I propose that #3 on the scale is "It's dead Jim".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

nm posted:

Jesus was that thing washed in salt water daily?

Basically. Through advanced differential rust examination (the snowplow bracketry is around 60% as rusty as the rest of the truck) I have determined that it was a plow truck for about the last ten years, which means only being driven on wet, salty, sloppy roads and beat to hell plowing bumpy driveways, then put away still covered in salty slush and left til the next storm, which often means a few weeks or... the entire summer and fall, sitting there with salt and sand packed into every crevice, attracting humidity to the delicious bare metal.

The previous previous owner was a landscaping company, so there is a good chance they bought it new and started using it as a landscaping truck in the summer and a plow truck in the winter immediately. The previous owner never even registered it, just used it to plow his driveway and his parents driveway two blocks over, so I got the landscaping company's title when I bought it, blank except for a signature and a date sometime in '08 or so. All I need it for is to let me scrap the hulk after gutting it, so no big deal...

kastein fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 22, 2012

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Delivery McGee posted:

Why the gently caress are you trying to "train" your friend out of parking properly?

Are you also going to start training her that she doesn't need seatbelts in Texas?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So, this buddy of mine works on oil rigs, he posted this:

(There are supposed to be 6 blades on that bit.)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah, maybe you should teach her to stop using blinkers, too. Oh, and I guess there's no real need for even parking it in gear, because it's so darn flat, huh?

Seriously, sit in your car with the engine off, and knock the shifter out of gear. Pretty easy to do, eh? Why would you trust your vehicle to something so easy to accidentally disengage, when there is a piece of equipment made specifically for this purpose?

I have had more than one friend who would refuse to use the parking brake. And I have had more than one friend whose car wrapped itself around a tree/building because they refused to use the parking brake.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Depends on the state. Vans are tagged as trucks here, as are S-10s and El Caminos and Bronco 2's.

Yeah, but he's talking specifically about PA retardedness.

Vans up to 1/2 ton are cars. SUVs up to 1/2 ton are station wagons. SUVs that they don't know poo poo about that are really 3/4 or 1 tons are also station wagons (Rovers, various older Land Crusiers, etc).

Whatever....at least you aren't getting dug for weight class until 3/4 ton on a pickup or van (which adds up pretty drat quickly).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Delivery McGee posted:

My friend has a Honda Civic, and is from a mountainous area, so she reflexively puts the parking brake on every time she switches off the ignition. It's rather useless and I've been trying to train her out of it, now that she's in northeast Texas.

Don't do that. She's smart.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Nerobro posted:

The sockington scale needs to be an official measure.

A pile of rust is a 6-10 on the Sockington scale, and a house-sized pile is 11. If it has tires it's only a 5. A 4 is somewhat drivable.

A perfect restoration is 1.0 Moocow.

50 mouse-scrolls worth of text is 0.3 Z3n.

Professor-level advise for simple questions is 0.8 Nerobro.

I thought those measurements were solidly established already?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sir Cornelius posted:

A pile of rust is a 6-10 on the Sockington scale, and a house-sized pile is 11. If it has tires it's only a 5. A 4 is somewhat drivable.

This was about a 5.5, it had tires but two of them wouldn't have remained attached for long. I think I have knocked around 50lbs of rust off it so far and I am sure another 100lbs are scattered across most of central massachusetts.

The frame in the pic has an inch of wafer thin rusty metal left of the vertical face of the frame rail... that had cracked in half leaving only the bottom face "intact" (less than 1/8 thick) after I jumped on the frame behind the tires a few times to see if I could break it.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kastein posted:

This was about a 5.5, it had tires but two of them wouldn't have remained attached for long. I think I have knocked around 50lbs of rust off it so far and I am sure another 100lbs are scattered across most of central massachusetts.

I think you're bragging. If you drove it, it's clearly just a Sockington 4.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

No word of a lie, when I found some rust under my Volvo I just said to myself 'Meh, 0.2So?'

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

The rear quarters of my car are rusting off, but it still runs great and is inspected until 2014 so I'd say it's only about a 1.8-2So.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Random things around a friends shop...

13B-REW E-shaft with only 10k on it. Guess what did it?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sir Cornelius posted:

I'm flattered. And I think these need to be properly documented and distrubted to the rest of the internet. I want "A full Z3n" to be a measurement on #chan, and ribbet.

Time to break out photoshop....

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wait, what was the baseline for 1 So - the 323 or the ae86?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

so what makes a lot of noise? those gal'darn timing gears thats what.. so instead of making them out of a metal, westinghouse devised a fibrous material that held together extremely well and virtually eliminated noise and cut down on wear of the crank gear. They stuck around for many years but by the late 50s engines were making much greater power and the non metal timing gears were replaced with metal.

Nah, they never went away completely during that time. My 70's original 350 had one and sometime around 20 odd years ago it just separated from the camshaft. Did similar amounts of damage from what I was told, plus a timing cover from the chain running slack.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

Phanatic posted:

So, this buddy of mine works on oil rigs, he posted this:

(There are supposed to be 6 blades on that bit.)

Someone's goin' fishing

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

kastein posted:

Basically. Through advanced differential rust examination (the snowplow bracketry is around 60% as rusty as the rest of the truck) I have determined that it was a plow truck for about the last ten years, which means only being driven on wet, salty, sloppy roads and beat to hell plowing bumpy driveways, then put away still covered in salty slush and left til the next storm, which often means a few weeks or... the entire summer and fall, sitting there with salt and sand packed into every crevice, attracting humidity to the delicious bare metal.

The previous previous owner was a landscaping company, so there is a good chance they bought it new and started using it as a landscaping truck in the summer and a plow truck in the winter immediately. The previous owner never even registered it, just used it to plow his driveway and his parents driveway two blocks over, so I got the landscaping company's title when I bought it, blank except for a signature and a date sometime in '08 or so. All I need it for is to let me scrap the hulk after gutting it, so no big deal...

Landscaping trucks get beat to hell. When it wasn't covered in corrosive road sludge in the winter, it was probably humping dirt, mulch, sod, grass clippings and other slightly damp stuff that finds it's way into everything. It also could have had bags of ice melt or a sand/salt spreader in the back for winter. Hell, when I was doing that gig, I only hosed the back of my lawn truck out 1 time over the course of a summer because it sat full of clippings for several days and the nasty decomposing grass goo was all over the inside and bottom of the bed. In fact, we had a Dodge just like that, and it was showing early signs of the same frame rot.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Cakefool posted:

Wait, what was the baseline for 1 So - the 323 or the ae86?

The 240SX.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Mechanical Failures Caught in the Act. Vol. 1

Mmmm. Some hot action there.

By the way, yes I am aware of that caked on dried coolant.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

General_Failure posted:

Mechanical Failures Caught in the Act. Vol. 1

Mmmm. Some hot action there.

By the way, yes I am aware of that caked on dried coolant.

Pfft, if you were in marketing you'd say you currently have dual-redundant kinetic energy transfer systems equipped.

But yeah, I haven't seen a belt split so cleanly down the middle like that in nearly a decade... Usually it is a LOT more ugly.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Sponge! posted:

Pfft, if you were in marketing you'd say you currently have dual-redundant kinetic energy transfer systems equipped.

But yeah, I haven't seen a belt split so cleanly down the middle like that in nearly a decade... Usually it is a LOT more ugly.

I was lucky. Whenever I have to go further than across town I give the car a once over. The belt had a line along it as you can see. I touched it and it ripped. It was so borderline I doubt it would have made it ten minutes down the road. After I took it off it split most of the way around.
Even luckier I called the mechanic as soon as I found it. I caught them just before their daily order. The replacement belt arrived there about lunch so I put it on. Took me about ten minutes including searching for the 3/8 breaker bar and extension for the tensioner. Besides the brain farts mis-routing the belts it would have taken me all of a minute for the whole job. The car may give me the shits but the belt is dead easy with the engine cowling off.
The tensioner is pretty bad and I'm going to take some pics to see if any U.S. goons recognise the part as the motor is a mixed bag and the tensioner commands a high price here.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There is a matching groove on that tensioner pulley. Does it have some sort of ridge or lip there? Is something dragging on the belt around there?

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

There is a matching groove on that tensioner pulley. Does it have some sort of ridge or lip there? Is something dragging on the belt around there?

More likely the belt ran for a bit with the split in it and left the polish on the parts it touched while the frayed ends did that.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Don't think you can buy a cheap beater to run errands with in Florida and not get reamed. Not counting sales tax, it is $450 to get a loving new tag here, thanks to Dick Scott. The tag for my beater S-10 that I really only use to shuttle hay rolls from the feed shop was literally 30% of the cost of the entire vehicle.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
As military stationed in Oklahoma (Florida legal resident) it was cheaper for me to pay the OK fees and register the new car here than transfer my plates from my old car, which had 18 months left before expiration.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dradien posted:

Nah, vans are tagged as cars. My 1999 Voyager is a Hxx-xxxx, so cheap registration for me!

Also like living in Central PA with no emissions requirements.

I mean actual vans, like the ford E-series, etc. Not minivans.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
My 1999 Montana did the same thing to a belt. When it did, it was because the harmonic balancer had gone out and was slowly sliding off the shaft. When I found it, the half belt that had split was already missing from the vehicle. The day after I found that split belt as I was driving it to Autozone, it too snapped and fled around 1/4th mile from the store. I pulled in, bought a belt and a balancer and did them in the parking lot.

I have the 3400, is that the same style motor? The routing looks identical.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Please tell me you did it in your underwear with a gun in your mouth.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

That's the funny thing about that groove in the belt. Nothing quite matches it. Nothing dragging, all pulleys / accessories spin fine. There is some strangeness to the tensioner pulley yes. It's not a groove in the middle though. It has an irregular surface with a zigzagging sort of pattern on it which I believe to be from different hardness of the plastic and different wear rates.

That pulley is old. And I can't replace it. Well, I could if I had the cash. Just on this model the pulley shaft is pressed (or something) into the tensioner, making the lovely plastic pulley integral to it. The current going rate for a new tensioner seems to be about $350. Someone up north had a friend that could have gotten one a bit cheaper but it was still too much cash to come up with for that transient deal. Now I know this motor shares parts with various U.S. models which is why I want to see if I can get something less butt-rape-ingly expensive over there. Better than the EGR valve. The solenoid isn't responding to the ECU. Aftermarket part for that is $650. Of course I said "gently caress that!".

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

thecobra posted:

Please tell me you did it in your underwear with a gun in your mouth.

I can confirm that the Montana has made me want to put a gun in my mouth quite a bit. Also, I don't wear underwear.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Micromancer posted:

I can confirm that the Montana has made me want to put a gun in my mouth quite a bit. Also, I don't wear underwear.

Um, pictures beg to differ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Um, pictures beg to differ.

those used to be shorts. His rear end was hungry that day.