Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Spikeguy posted:

Do you think Steve Austin is sorry for what beating Debra? I have not seen any reports of any kind of public or private response of regret. That doesn't mean he hasn't.

And if you knew he did not feel bad for what he did, would you still support him?

I was going to say i could separate the person from the athlete because Warrior hates gays but I love him for WM6

Then I remembered Josh Lueke is a rapist and if he was pitching for my favourite team I'd boo the poo poo out of him.

In conclusion: everyone is a hypocrite. Or at least I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Let's cut this discussion off right here before everyone ends up feeling dirty and embarrassed.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Liar Lyre posted:

Has there ever been a triple threat style title match were one guy sacrificed himself to get another guy the title and the third guy is trying to stop them? That seems like a classic Dibiase moment to me, but i don't know if it happened.

There was one Triple Threat Tag Team match that involved the New Age Outlaws. They wound up facing each other after a long series of tags, and the other teams wouldn't let them tag out and tried to force them to fight each other. So one of the Outlaws laid down for the other and they won the match before the other teams could break up the pin.

That's probably as close as they've come to a scenario like you are describing though.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

RBX posted:

Have you ever been in a relationship? Women are prone to push buttons.

You crazy, boy. Men and women are both prone to push buttons. Antagonizing your significant other is the whole point of relationships.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
In response to the original question, I loving hope Austin's sorry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Burt Buckle posted:

You crazy, boy. Men and women are both prone to push buttons. Antagonizing your significant other is the whole point of relationships.

Also to have a buffer in the night in case a boogeyman attacks.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Heh, women. Am I right, fellas?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Jerusalem posted:

Also to have a buffer in the night in case a boogeyman attacks.

When a boogeyman attacks you a buffer will only let you know it's time to get ready to rumble.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

tengohemroidz posted:

Who cares if he is sorry? He didn't exactly beat her. He slapped her or some poo poo then took off in her Corvette. There are always two sides to a story...who knows what happened (what Debra did) to set that off?

Uh no, he beat her pretty badly.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Wikipedia says it was roid rage. Wikipedia is never wrong. :colbert:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just want to remind everyone that Debra is Ben Stiller's favorite thing about wrestling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1kAIuX6D-Q

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Just want to remind everyone that Debra is Ben Stiller's favorite thing about wrestling.

"good to see peewee back in the theatre" line from king actually made me smile.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Oatgan posted:

Heh, women. Am I right, fellas?

This guy knows what I'm talkin about.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Jarrett's "don't piss me off" shirt is still one of the funniest things to me. Who the hell would wear that in public and what could happen as a result?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Uncle Ulty posted:

There was one Triple Threat Tag Team match that involved the New Age Outlaws. They wound up facing each other after a long series of tags, and the other teams wouldn't let them tag out and tried to force them to fight each other. So one of the Outlaws laid down for the other and they won the match before the other teams could break up the pin.

That's probably as close as they've come to a scenario like you are describing though.
That's it? Man, it just seems like a great heel move to play. Maybe if they can get ADR and Ricardo in a match it'll work.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jetfire posted:

Jarrett's "don't piss me off" shirt is still one of the funniest things to me. Who the hell would wear that in public and what could happen as a result?

I think it's genius. One of the few pieces of heel merchandise where wearing it makes you a heel. Heel merchandise shouldn't make you feel cool anyway. It should make you ostracized from society and generally hated. At best it should gravitate you towards other abhorred folks of society like criminals and men/women with low self esteem.

When you purchase heel merchandise, you should feel shame.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jetfire posted:

Best thing about this was how they gave the Jeff Jarrett action figure a "Don't Make Me Mad" shirt to try and keep it kid-friendly :kiddo:

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Liar Lyre posted:

Has there ever been a triple threat style title match were one guy sacrificed himself to get another guy the title and the third guy is trying to stop them? That seems like a classic Dibiase moment to me, but i don't know if it happened.

Well there was that triple threat at Breakdown between Austin, Undertaker & Kane where Taker & Kane just teamed up and double pinned Austin vacating the title for the upcoming Survivor Series tournament IIRC. So...sort of? Not really though, I guess that would be the closest thing to it.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Liar Lyre posted:

I feel like this scenario has happened more than once, with the sacrificial inevitably refusing to lay down, and trying to win the triple-threat under his own power.

My memory is terrible, but I'm thinking the Evolution storyline did it to tease a face turn at some point?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Tyma posted:

My memory is terrible, but I'm thinking the Evolution storyline did it to tease a face turn at some point?

I think it was an Elimination Chamber match that had both Randy Orton and HHH. It was hinted that Orton might not just lay down for HHH if they were the last two left.
Moot point because the ending was Goldberg getting knocked out by Sledgie so an injured HHH could pin him.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Tyma posted:

You may be thinking of the Chamber match at New Year's Revolution 2005 (I think it was 2005) where Orton had already turned face the previous year, and the last three men were HHH, Batista and Orton. Orton RKO'd Batista and HHH just stood there and didn't break up the pin.

It was one of those storyline factors that led Batista to choose the World title and HHH at Mania after winning the Rumble, which led to the instance face turn after powerbombing HHH through the contract signing table.

Which makes me now wonder what the odds are on the table surviving during the contract signing tonight.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've been watching some old episodes of Saved by the Bell lately and I swear New Foundation theme is one of the generic songs they'd use in the background at the diner.

poo poo, not really a question...

Has anything ever been said by Triple H or Hogan about Backlash 2002 where the former dropped the belt to the latter? I never quite understood why Hunter ever agreed to lose, he had to have known Hogan would never let him get that win back.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I never quite understood why Hunter ever agreed to lose, he had to have known Hogan would never let him get that win back.

Smackdown, 6/4/02: Triple H pinned Hulk Hogan with the Pedigree at 6:43 after kicking out of the legdrop.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

El Duke posted:

Smackdown, 6/4/02: Triple H pinned Hulk Hogan with the Pedigree at 6:43 after kicking out of the legdrop.

That's mind-boggling...wait...what?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

crankdatbatman posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wpslu_AZEY

Clean as can be, too

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Hogan was smart. He knew nobody would remember the Smackdown loss.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

That's still really weird to me that Hogan wrestled on Smackdown a few times back then.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lone Rogue posted:

Hogan was smart. He knew nobody would remember the Smackdown loss.

Exactly what I was about to post. And it wasn't for the belt, either.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

That's still really weird to me that Hogan wrestled on Smackdown a few times back then.
It's really weird he allowed Brock Lesnar to make him bleed and use the blood as war paint.

And by "really weird" I mean "loving AWESOME."

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Atticus Finch posted:

It's really weird he allowed Brock Lesnar to make him bleed and use the blood as war paint.

And by "really weird" I mean "loving AWESOME."

Hogan wanted to put Brock over by beating him three straight times right or am I thinking of Michaels?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
If I remember correctly, Hogan said he'd do it but he wanted his win back and after Hogan jobbed they were like "lol sike bitch" and Hogan left.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

2002 was when they gave away so many matches on TV.

March 11: Hogan, Nash and Hall vs. Steve Austin and the Rock
March 18: The Rock and Hulk Hogan vs. Kevin Nash and Scott Hall
March 21: Kevin Nash vs The Rock
May 2: Chris Jericho vs Hulk Hogan
August 8: Hulk Hogan vs Brock Lesnar
November 26: Rob Van Dam vs. Shawn Michaels

These are only main events and first time matches.
There's other stuff not listed like the Angle vs Hogan rematch midway through Smackdown 1 month after KOTR.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
2002 was really the year WWE flat-out panicked because not only did they go through the traumatic name change but the ride that was the Attitude Era was over and ratings/buyrates suffered. The amount of hotshotting that year was truly unprecedented. A lot of people here already know all this but looking back I really had little idea how bad it was.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I barely remember at this point, but did the Attitude Era Awesomeness(tm) basically come to an end when they switched networks and never again recaptured the ~25% of television viewers who did not have access to (whatever their new station was), as presumably they lost interest in wrestling before it came back to USA again years later?

I mean, I remember I could no longer watch it in my apartment at college, so I only got to see it when I went back to visit my family.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Quarex posted:

I barely remember at this point, but did the Attitude Era Awesomeness(tm) basically come to an end when they switched networks and never again recaptured the ~25% of television viewers who did not have access to (whatever their new station was), as presumably they lost interest in wrestling before it came back to USA again years later?

I mean, I remember I could no longer watch it in my apartment at college, so I only got to see it when I went back to visit my family.

The usual demarcation points for the start of the downfall are when Steve Austin turned heel in Texas at WrestleMania 17 and when Steve Austin turned heel on WWF at the Invasion PPV, thus taking down the biggest storyline ever. These happened within four months of each other, of course.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So what you are saying is that Steve Austin did his best to put the WWE out of business.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I always considered X-7 the signal of the end of the Attitude Era, with the nail in the coffin being X-8 and the change to WWE.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Meltzer suggested that when Austin turned all the casual fans that tuned in left and never came back. Hence the "no body wants to boo john wayne" line from JR. They also changed creative around that time, and as mentioned with smackdown burned through things super fast. Just all those things and more, plus the fact booms don't last forever.

Having said that, the annoying thing is they haven't learned what made that period bad, and what made it good. A lot of things worked because they were hot, not because they did those things (Russo's problem in TNA).

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

One of the very first shows I went to Hogan vs. HHH was the main event. I think the show ended with Kurt Angle's wig being torn off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Oatgan posted:

One of the very first shows I went to Hogan vs. HHH was the main event. I think the show ended with Kurt Angle's wig being torn off.

You got to see Hogan/HHH AND Henry/Angle?