Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I sometimes wonder if they're mandated as part of some standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Two-factor authentication! :pseudo:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Still not as bad as when you sign up for something and it has you retype your email address to confirm. It's right there in plain text. Shift-tab, command-C, tab, command-V.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

yaoi prophet posted:

I see three questions there :confused:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

IUG posted:

Still not as bad as when you sign up for something and it has you retype your email address to confirm. It's right there in plain text. Shift-tab, command-C, tab, command-V.

I imagine that is to make sure that you actually entered your address correctly and didn't make a typo. You know, the same reason you typically enter a password twice when you create an account somewhere?

Autofill does all the work, anyway.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

marmot25 posted:

Since I have to keep the results in 1password anyway, I just made up random strings.

Out of curiosity, how do you put these into 1Password? AFAIK it doesn't have automatic support for these.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

echobucket posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you put these into 1Password? AFAIK it doesn't have automatic support for these.

I just added it to my pile of secure notes. It's not ideal, but it's still easily findable in a pinch.

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

yaoi prophet posted:

Something you know,
something else you know,
something else you know,
something else you know,
and something else you know,

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork.

marmot25 posted:

I just added it to my pile of secure notes. It's not ideal, but it's still easily findable in a pinch.

There's also a "Notes" field for any login. It obviously won't autofill, but it keeps your Security Questions sorted with the login they belong to. I don't know how many Security Questions you're keeping track of, but it couldn't hurt.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I just wish they could have an option to make up your own question because those are so terrible.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Quick question that I assume would be appropriate here, I have come into possession of an old slightly beat up Macbook (1st gen I assume, from 2006). It had a dead hard drive, so I slotted a spare laptop hard drive in, assuming I could just download a copy of OS X and install it, then register it with some sort of key. TURNS OUT I WAS WRONG! All I have are the macbook, with that lovely folder with an exclamation mark blinking at me, and a power cord. All the instructions online for getting a copy of OS X work from the assumption I have a working Mac, anyone know what I should do? There is an apple store not too far from here.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Assuming it has a Core2Duo then you can probably just go to the Apple store and buy Lion on a USB stick. If it is the oldest CoreDuo macbook then you are limited to 10.6.8 and your best bet is to ask at the Genius bar what your options are for buying this OS.

In your case it sounds like the latter, but either way a trip to the Apple Store is in your future.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Martytoof posted:

Assuming it has a Core2Duo then you can probably just go to the Apple store and buy Lion on a USB stick.

Any easy way for me to find out if it does?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Red_Mage posted:

Any easy way for me to find out if it does?

According to:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1635

You can plug in your serial number into a link off that page and it should give you the configuration. I can't verify though.

Also if you CAN run 10.7, that'll be the last release you can run unless you happen to have a 2009+ model, which it sounds like you might not. Still, not a bad machine for what it's worth.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 24, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

yaoi prophet posted:

That'd be nice yet probably too annoying for most people :v:.

The bigger issue is that it's still kind of crappy for someone with a compromised account. There's still no check before entering that stuff in beyond the iTunes login/password, and you only get an email notification afterwards. Same goes for adding a backup email (and you'd think phone number text would be another option since not everyone has multiple email addresses).

A simple email activation for each (there's a basic form of two factor auth there I guess) would help a lot rather than just accepting them and notifying the user later. It's essentially the same problem as before where something could gently caress you up and they just tell you about it later, when it could potentially be prevented with a simple extra step (...barring the people that use the same password for their email too).

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Also if you CAN run 10.7, that'll be the last release you can run unless you happen to have a 2009+ model, which it sounds like you might not. Still, not a bad machine for what it's worth.

Well for the price of "free" I really cannot complain, but I am thinking (the serial number tool just told me "IT IS A MACBOOK" ) it is the core duo model, so to the genius bar I go I guess.

Edit: I definitely lack the minimum RAM that 10.6.8 wants, is it worth springing for a RAM upgrade or should I try and find an older OS X?

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 24, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Martytoof posted:

Still, not a bad machine for what it's worth.

Throw a cheap SSD in that fucker along with 3GB or whatever RAM it will take and it won't be too bad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Red_Mage posted:

Well for the price of "free" I really cannot complain, but I am thinking (the serial number tool just told me "IT IS A MACBOOK" ) it is the core duo model, so to the genius bar I go I guess.

Edit: I definitely lack the minimum RAM that 10.6.8 wants, is it worth springing for a RAM upgrade or should I try and find an older OS X?

I think it maxes out at like 3GB which will probably be okay for 10.6.8. With RAM prices being what they are it's up to you. Older ram sometimes goes for commodity prices. I certainly wouldn't go below 10.5, and personally I wouldn't dip below 10.6. If you can max out the memory then go for it.

(Don't buy the memory from Apple, even in the rare case they might still be willing to sell you something so old).

e: Actually it maxes out at 2GB which you should still be able to live with. I'd invest in a cheap SSD to go with it in this case though, since you WILL be swapping to disk (and probably pretty heavily).

Invest like $100 into this laptop and you can have a pretty decent couch web browser.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 24, 2012

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I think it maxes out at like 3GB which will probably be okay for 10.6.8. With RAM prices being what they are it's up to you. Older ram sometimes goes for commodity prices. I certainly wouldn't go below 10.5, and personally I wouldn't dip below 10.6. If you can max out the memory then go for it.

(Don't buy the memory from Apple, even in the rare case they might still be willing to sell you something so old).

e: Actually it maxes out at 2GB which you should still be able to live with. I'd invest in a cheap SSD to go with it in this case though, since you WILL be swapping to disk (and probably pretty heavily).

Invest like $100 into this laptop and you can have a pretty decent couch web browser.

huh, I do like my pc for that though, how would it be with imovie/garageband (since in my limited experience with macs those are like the best things ever) ?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sell it and buy an iPad 2 (or trade)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
you'd probably see some returns through the sale value if you put the memory and an OS on it. Also, if the palm rest has any cracks, I think you can take it to the genius bar and they'll replace the top case for free.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

you'd probably see some returns through the sale value if you put the memory and an OS on it. Also, if the palm rest has any cracks, I think you can take it to the genius bar and they'll replace the top case for free.

Wouldn't this one be 5 years old and not qualify?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Wouldn't this one be 5 years old and not qualify?

The serial number check page set it was out of qualification for everything, and as for the palm rest, well...

I am not sure my cell phone camera adequately conveys the state of disrepair this palmrest is in. Those shadows aren't shadows.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Take it in, try your luck. I'm pretty sure the recall was based precisely on the material that caused that discoloration.

Also, loving wipe the hair and stains and poo poo off it. jesus.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Minidust posted:

I was just prompted to set my security questions before downloading a free game. The whole procedure was unfamiliar to me so I guess I never got around to setting these up in the first place. Does this just trigger automatically after a certain amount of time, if you haven't set the security questions in the past? I'm just wondering why I'm being asked NOW... I wasn't asked to update my password or anything, so I don't think I need to worry about my account being compromised or anything.

There's a 4 year time limit on the top case repairs.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

Take it in, try your luck. I'm pretty sure the recall was based precisely on the material that caused that discoloration.

Also, loving wipe the hair and stains and poo poo off it. jesus.

I've definitely had things replaced after they were "officially" replacing them so it's definitely worth trying your luck.

For cleaning: Magic Eraser

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Red_Mage posted:

huh, I do like my pc for that though, how would it be with imovie/garageband (since in my limited experience with macs those are like the best things ever) ?

Yeah I mean I guess everything will "work", but you're going to hate life doing video editing of any quality material with 2gb RAM. Garage Band might be okay in 2gb, I can't really speak to that since I don't use GB.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I mean I guess everything will "work", but you're going to hate life doing video editing of any quality material with 2gb RAM. Garage Band might be okay in 2gb, I can't really speak to that since I don't use GB.
I'd rather use them on an iPad. Really if stuff like that is what you want you're better off selling and using the funds towards an iPad (2 or new one).

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Fo anybody using VLC, anybody know how zoom in on a video (get rid of the black bars in full screen mode) without it stretching the video? It used to be under 'Crop', but that seems to stretch now.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

It will be way too slow, sorry dude. Either invest in an external USB or Thunderbolt HDD.
A decent card is a good deal faster to install windows from. We have a boot media on photography-grade SD cards for our laptops at work and that poo poo's blazin' yo.

marmot25 posted:

Since I have to keep the results in 1password anyway, I just made up random strings.
This is how you should answer all security questions.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 24, 2012

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

unruly posted:

Maybe my sarcasm detector is off this morning, but why are security questions a problem? Fill them out, put them in your password locker (KeePass, 1Password, etc); Problem Solved.

On the other hand my Aspergers meter pinged off the graph and I'm now operating on backup.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

evil_bunnY posted:

A decent card is a good deal faster to install windows from. We have a boot media on photography-grade SD cards for our laptops at work and that poo poo's blazin' yo.

I use a MBP with 2 hard drives and a gigabit switch to image Macs at the office. I can restore a full Snow Leopard build in around 6 minutes boot to boot. :smugdog:

You can also do Boot Camp restores too, which are MAGICAL for the amount of time it saves.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Internaut! posted:

On the other hand my Aspergers meter pinged off the graph and I'm now operating on backup.
Meh. I don't care for the security questions, but I also fail to see why it's a big deal. It's security theater that makes the people with passwords like "JIMBOB123" feel more secure. The rest of us use password managers (especially for work).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think there's something wrong with my Superdrive on my MBP and there aren't any Apple Stores hours from here. I've tried putting in two different audio discs and now an OS X SL "Applications Installation Disk" (which is a DVD?) and what happens is that it goes in, some noise gets made that sounds like it's being read, and then the disc ejects itself.

Is this something I can fix myself and how because really the closest Apple Store is like 4 hours away.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think there's something wrong with my Superdrive on my MBP and there aren't any Apple Stores hours from here. I've tried putting in two different audio discs and now an OS X SL "Applications Installation Disk" (which is a DVD?) and what happens is that it goes in, some noise gets made that sounds like it's being read, and then the disc ejects itself.

Is this something I can fix myself and how because really the closest Apple Store is like 4 hours away.

In my experience, this is something you have to send the computer in for. Those super-drives are really thin and tiny and I've had mine break twice. It usually takes me months to discover it because I rarely use the drive.

edit: Weird trick you can try is holding the computer upside down when inserting the disk. I was able to watch a dvd once by letting it spin up upside down then flipping it back once it was spinning. ... I don't actually recommend this, but it did work for me once.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Call AppleCare, they'll send you a box and it'll go to the depot at a flat rate (provided it's not damaged).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Google Chrome has started being slow for some reason. When I open a new tab and go to a page, it takes about five seconds before the little circle starts turning on the tab and starts trying to go it. I'm not sure why. If it's another page in the same domain that I'm already in it doesn't happen, but it's taking forever to access a new page from a blank tab. Any idea why?

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Google Chrome has started being slow for some reason. When I open a new tab and go to a page, it takes about five seconds before the little circle starts turning on the tab and starts trying to go it. I'm not sure why. If it's another page in the same domain that I'm already in it doesn't happen, but it's taking forever to access a new page from a blank tab. Any idea why?

I'm having the same problem. I had to switch over to Safari. I'm running off the Dev channel.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As annoying as it was to get forced to choose new questions from my iphone when I was trying to download an ap I really needed for class on really bad wifi, I think that more password questions are a step in the right direction. Soooo many users just absolutely lose their password and it can be such a rigaramoll that leads ultimately nowhere. They've actually done quite a few things in the last six months to fix what was often a death sentence to an old person's itunes account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I just installed gfxcardstatus onto my Macbook Pro and the battery life has significantly improved. I didn't notice, but it would keep switching to the 330M discrete option each time I opened Chrome up. I don't really need the discrete option when booting in OSX so I forced it to run on the integrated option only.