Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
If you have a ballin' graphics card setup that can push over 60 frames per second in the games you like, you reduce game lag somewhat. But you have to be pretty darn sensitive to lag to tell the difference. Plus, if Lucid's Virtu MVP takes off, it won't matter as much in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
On top of that adaptive vsync has made tearing issues more livable in the regular old 60hz world (not to mention saving some heat/electricity).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just got my HP ZR2440w. My first IPS and my first monitor with an awesome stand.

Haven't played any games on it yet though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Revol posted:

So then you should only go 27" if you can get the higher resolution, like the Dell UltraSharps?
Pretty much, yeah. The exception to this is if you have really lovely eyes and/or are going to be putting it substantially further away from you than normal desk-distance, in which case the larger size is just fine. 1920x1080 really should stop at 24", anything larger should be 2560x1440 or the like.

Revol posted:

I want my budget to be around $300. It's for gaming, along with normal use. I'm curious, do you see a benefit with 120Hz beyond 3D ability?
You may see a small benefit with 120Hz if you play mostly FPS games with either a beastly graphics setup, or ones which are years old and let you consistently push 100+ FPS. For anything else, no, you won't see a difference. The 3D stuff itself is pretty much a gimmick: it works well on a few specific games, and not so well on most everything else.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

DrDork posted:

The only salient point for you here is that the U2410 is wige-gamut, which unless you know what that means and desire it (pretty much if you're working in a print-based job), is going to be a substantial negative for you using it for photo editing. If you do want wide-gamut, then you'll understand why between that and the other upgrades it's worth the extra $150.

It really is a fantastic monitor, but being wide-gamut means it'll look different than any other non-wide-gamut monitor out there.

I'm pretty familiar with the terminology, I've done some color/print science coursework in my major. I was mainly concerned with the gamut size because I don't do a lot of printing and would outsource anything mildly important to a local print lab. I mainly shoot with a Nikon d7000 which like most newer cameras can shoot in AdobeRGB color space--I was wondering if it would be advantageous to me having a monitor with better coverage for that particular color space.

Edit: I just realized that since I shoot RAW the input device color space doesn't matter. Oops.

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 24, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yeah, working with Adobe RGB photos is a good reason to go with a U2410. That's why I have mine. Coupled with a colorimeter, pictures I take of my lovely apartment look 100% true-to-life lovely on my screen, especially the saturated blues and teals of mold growing in my closet thanks to leaks from the apartment above mine.

But then, it gets into where the work will end up. If you're sharing on the web, sRGB is all you need and what most of your friends and family will see (well, less if they have laptops with standard lovely screens). If you like to appreciate your own work, then wide gamut may yet be useful.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The UPS man came early this week! These U2412M's are definitely a bit bigger than the 22" and 20" 1680x1050 monitors they replaced.

Matching bezels!

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Phone posted:

The UPS man came early this week! These U2412M's are definitely a bit bigger than the 22" and 20" 1680x1050 monitors they replaced.

Matching bezels!
Give:
code:
Custom color mode with Red @ 96, Green @ 93, Blue @ 87

Brightness at 40 and contrast at 75. Sharpness at 40.
a shot and see how you like it.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Any tips for getting a Dell 2007FP to match colors/whatever with a 3007WFP-HC?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

Give:
code:
Custom color mode with Red @ 96, Green @ 93, Blue @ 87

Brightness at 40 and contrast at 75. Sharpness at 40.
a shot and see how you like it.

What is this from if you don't mind me asking? I did the Standard preset from http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2412m.htm

(35 brightness, 75 contrast)

e: I don't like the sharpness at 40

Phone fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 24, 2012

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Phone posted:

What is this from if you don't mind me asking? I did the Standard preset from http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2412m.htm

(35 brightness, 75 contrast)
I saw tftcentral's settings too. They looked terrible. The settings I posted were from http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1615513&page=108, a 108 page thread where a couple of people with different devices and a general agreement from the owners that those setting work the best.

Edit: Ya sharpness is silly. 0 is definitely unusable, but 100 seem a bit too sharp. Where do you have it at?

DinosaurHouseParty fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 24, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
60 or 70 seems to be the sweet spot. These settings are alright, if a little bright. I might invest in a colorometer soon because I'm looking to get back into photography a bit.

I found TFT Central's 35/75/Standard to look pretty good.

e: switched back to the 35/75/Standard but with sharpness at 60. Switching between the custom preset made the whites look fairly grey. And the blacks weren't as dark/deep.

Phone fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 24, 2012

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Phone posted:

60 or 70 seems to be the sweet spot. These settings are alright, if a little bright. I might invest in a colorometer soon because I'm looking to get back into photography a bit.

I found TFT Central's 35/75/Standard to look pretty good.
Ya I agree with you on brightness. This thing was giving me a headache before I decided standard/standard wasn't good enough.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm looking to stick up some kind of touchscreen media center in my kitchen. It's a common room in my house for socializing, and I'd like to have a terminal in there for pulling up recipies, webpages, and music. My plan is to mount it on a VESA arm, I have a bunch of not too old laptops that have busted screens, so I could just hide that inside a cabinet or something, and mount the monitor on an arm off the wall.

I can't seen to find a touchscreen monitor that is VESA compliant, not 22", and not a million dollars, though. Anyone have any suggestions? I considered actually just getting a small convertible netbook and fabricating my own mount for it, but I'd prefer to have a simpler solution.

I'm mainly looking to eventually throw Windows 8 on there. But maybe I could do it with a touch-friendly linux distro, or even buy an old iPad or Android tablet and just epoxy it to a piece of plastic or something.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Jerk McJerkface posted:

an old iPad or Android tablet and just epoxy it to a piece of plastic or something.

That'd probably be a ton easier.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm looking to stick up some kind of touchscreen media center in my kitchen. It's a common room in my house for socializing, and I'd like to have a terminal in there for pulling up recipies, webpages, and music. My plan is to mount it on a VESA arm, I have a bunch of not too old laptops that have busted screens, so I could just hide that inside a cabinet or something, and mount the monitor on an arm off the wall.

I can't seen to find a touchscreen monitor that is VESA compliant, not 22", and not a million dollars, though. Anyone have any suggestions? I considered actually just getting a small convertible netbook and fabricating my own mount for it, but I'd prefer to have a simpler solution.

I'm mainly looking to eventually throw Windows 8 on there. But maybe I could do it with a touch-friendly linux distro, or even buy an old iPad or Android tablet and just epoxy it to a piece of plastic or something.

Hm I wonder if there are any VESA-style mounts for tablets. There's got to be something that'll let you mount an iPad 3 to an arm out there. That would likely be easier.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I'd buy an iPad 1 and an otter box. Stick the otter box to the wall however you please and run it that way. You can find them from $200 through websites (http://www.cowboom.com/product/812850)

I'd imagine even cheaper through craigslist or whatever.

You can use Plex, or Air Video, Netflix, Hulu+, pretty much whatever. If you want to future proof it a bit more, getting a used ipad 2 would ensure at least 2 years of updates/airplay mirroring or whatever other things you can think of.

e: Some photographers use this setup, but it's kind of expensive and I didn't think it was what you wanted:

http://www.amazon.com/Delkin-DDMOUN...&tag=acleint-20

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-244...&tag=acleint-20

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

movax posted:

Hm I wonder if there are any VESA-style mounts for tablets. There's got to be something that'll let you mount an iPad 3 to an arm out there. That would likely be easier.

They're out there, but they're generally pretty expensive. I'd probably go with a snap-on hard case and some double-sided tape to attach it to a cheap VESA wall mount. It's not like there's a lot of weight to support.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Just wanted to say thanks for the OP, it's a great resource. Started looking for a new monitor this morning and it turns out Dell Australia are having a two day sale today and tomorrow. I just ordered a U2412M at 30% off.

I was considering the 27" before I measured my current (nine year old CRT) and finding out it's only 17 and a bit.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Space Gopher posted:

They're out there, but they're generally pretty expensive. I'd probably go with a snap-on hard case and some double-sided tape to attach it to a cheap VESA wall mount. It's not like there's a lot of weight to support.

We just Velcro'd them to the walls at work outside conference rooms to serve as calendars. Seemed to work fine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NewEgg's shipping loving rules. I ordered my U2412M on Saturday, it shipped yesterday and went out for delivery this morning. And the shipping was free :rock:

Can't wait to get home from work and see how gorgeous this thing looks.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

archangelwar posted:

We just Velcro'd them to the walls at work outside conference rooms to serve as calendars. Seemed to work fine.

I'm going to buy a hardcase and then attach the case to the mount with some hardware. The plan being you can pull it away from the way and angle it depending on where you are.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

archangelwar posted:

I can't help but think of this video when I read that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

archangelwar posted:

That's pretty awesome, but how many have been lost so far, heh. Pretty appealing to snag it off the wall.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Cabinet-Mount-iPad-2/dp/B005NHR6KM

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

That's interesting, but I think the best idea is to still buy some kind of snap on case, and then attach the case to a cheap monitor arm from Monoprice. I have a nice spot on the of a cabinet to mount it to that would be perfect. I don't think I want an iPad under the counter, I don't really have a space appropriate for it where it wouldn't be in the way.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Okay, gonna go with the U2412M monitor, now I just need to pick out a calibration device. I'm leaning towards the X-Rite i1 Display 2 since I've used it before and it seems effective enough. However I noticed there is now a i1 Display 3 for an extra $100. Anyone know about this one and if it's any good/worth the extra money? Obviously I'm only going to use it for calibrating my monitors once a month or whatever the normal period is.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
If you're not doing professional-level content creation with it and can therefore justify it as a business expense, there's not really much of a call for the more expensive meter. It is a better meter, hands down, and considered probably the best one you can get before you really have to start shelling out a LOT more money. Overkill for home-use, though.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Does anyone have (or had) an Acer S243HL? I'm debating whether or not its worth replacing it with a Dell U2312HM, mostly for gaming but for media as well. The drab colours and ghosting on my current monitor leave much to be desired.

On that note, is the U2412M identical to the U2312HM excepting the ratio? I'm not convinced if its worth forking out another $100 for it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Right now I'm 'pulling the trigger' on a gaming computer but can't decide on a monitor, preferably 24", that will work with a EVGA GTX 560ti (448 cores) video card.

Gonna be playing a lot of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and poopsock a bit on WoW. Any suggestions for something around $200-300?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Dell U2312HM to go closer to $200, Dell U2412M if you need the extra inch and 16:10 resolution.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Factory Factory posted:

Dell U2312HM to go closer to $200, Dell U2412M if you need the extra inch and 16:10 resolution.

That U2412M looks good. Thanks Bro!

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Factory Factory posted:

Don't forget this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005240 for 23" (on sale right now).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Haeleus posted:

Does anyone have (or had) an Acer S243HL? I'm debating whether or not its worth replacing it with a Dell U2312HM, mostly for gaming but for media as well. The drab colours and ghosting on my current monitor leave much to be desired.

On that note, is the U2412M identical to the U2312HM excepting the ratio? I'm not convinced if its worth forking out another $100 for it.

If you're patient just wait until either goes on sale. I got my U2412 for $350NZD which is slightly less than what the not on sale U2312 costs here.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm going to buy a hardcase and then attach the case to the mount with some hardware. The plan being you can pull it away from the way and angle it depending on where you are.

I think it would be a bit easier to attach a plate to a standard VESA mount and then put Velcro on it. Would make it more easily removable in the future. Just an idea is all.

movax posted:

That's pretty awesome, but how many have been lost so far, heh. Pretty appealing to snag it off the wall.

Not expensive tablets (Android rather than iPad), and it is an engineering place. Besides, with the amount of time we spend fighting over conference rooms, we appreciate their existence.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

archangelwar posted:

I think it would be a bit easier to attach a plate to a standard VESA mount and then put Velcro on it. Would make it more easily removable in the future. Just an idea is all.

And if you ever want to get the Velcro off it's going to be a pain in the rear end. If you use a $5 hard case, you just snap it out and you're done.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Space Gopher posted:

And if you ever want to get the Velcro off it's going to be a pain in the rear end. If you use a $5 hard case, you just snap it out and you're done.

You put the Velcro on the case. This way you only need one case, and you can attach it anywhere.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

So just a heads up to people who have purchased the Achieva Shimian monitors from Korea, the monoprice 24awg dual link dvi cables don't fit.

In unrelated news, does anyone want to purchase one or two 10' 24awg dual link dvi cables?

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

thevoiceofdog posted:

Okay, gonna go with the U2412M monitor, now I just need to pick out a calibration device. I'm leaning towards the X-Rite i1 Display 2 since I've used it before and it seems effective enough. However I noticed there is now a i1 Display 3 for an extra $100. Anyone know about this one and if it's any good/worth the extra money? Obviously I'm only going to use it for calibrating my monitors once a month or whatever the normal period is.
I'm looking to buy of these things too. Maybe we can throw in on it and ship it around to the goons and then everyone will have a shot at a calibrated monitor.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0385617

This one looks decent to me.

DinosaurHouseParty fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Aquila posted:

So just a heads up to people who have purchased the Achieva Shimian monitors from Korea, the monoprice 24awg dual link dvi cables don't fit.

In unrelated news, does anyone want to purchase one or two 10' 24awg dual link dvi cables?

Obnoxiously huge connector housing? Any chance you could file away the offending edges of the cable housing?