Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

MrBling posted:

Desaster are still around? I thought they had disappeared around five years ago.

The German black metal band? I get the impression that Desaster are lot like Inquisition (Columbia now US?). They've both been around for a while but really haven't released anything innovative or fresh in years. So does this new Desaster break that mold?

Speaking of which, has anyone else heard more than one track from the new Cattle Decapitation album, Monolith of Humanity? I was lucky enough to get my hands on a promo copy of the album and I must say, it's pretty drat outstanding. I mean, I've kinda caught glimpses of greatness on their last few releases that caught my attention, but this one really caught me off-guard. It's a blend of death/grind/gore/tech that fits without coming across as super pretentious or just plain out contrived. It's got lots of tempo changes and well produced. Travis Ryans vocals are... well, kind of un-human. At first I didn't know if I liked all the screeching/singing vocals he does in contrast with deep growls, but upon repeat listens, I think it actually fits. Almost makes you skin freaking crawl.

I'd also like to thank Rob Arnold and Kevin Talley for bringing Six Feet Under back to being a relevant death metal band again for the first time since 1999's Maximum Violence. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The German black metal band? I get the impression that Desaster are lot like Inquisition (Columbia now US?). They've both been around for a while but really haven't released anything innovative or fresh in years. So does this new Desaster break that mold?

They moved to USA from Colombia before they recorded their first album. I dunno if anything they released is innovative, but I love every album Inquisition has put out, and they are the best live black metal band I've ever seen(and probably my favorite set at Maryland Deathfest last year)

They put out a new album in 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN-K27yiVrk&feature=related

EDIT: Also just in general my favorite black metal band

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 24, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

The German black metal band? I get the impression that Desaster are lot like Inquisition (Columbia now US?). They've both been around for a while but really haven't released anything innovative or fresh in years.

What the gently caress? Aside from their first demo and EP, Inquisition are completely unique in their sound and every album they've put out is stellar.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I just wanted to reply to the earlier Borknagar inquiry. I just finished listening to the album twice and it's really grown on me. They seem to have toned down the aggression somewhat and added some more of the traditional Borknagar styled clean singing, but it's done really well. Nature is definitely mentioned several times, and there's a song about cities or something (The Beauty of Dead Cities.. a little different but still pretty good.) Earthling is a little silly I thought with several mentions of existentialism and so on. Overal though I really enjoyed the album as a whole. (Oh, except for the Metallica cover, thought that was totally out of place.)

So that's my (probably unhelpful) opinion.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

The Clit Avoider posted:

What the gently caress? Aside from their first demo and EP, Inquisition are completely unique in their sound and every album they've put out is stellar.

Oh yeah?!?!? Someone would like to have a word with you...

I'm not saying that I don't like Inquisition, but they're pretty straight forward Immortal worship. This isn't a bad thing, but it's not gonna separate you from THAT very large pack.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I have no idea how the hell that's all you're hearing. Inquisition are far more than "immortal worship".

Taco_Fury
Apr 6, 2006

To apologize, I'll cut my source of pleasure.
With all this Summer Slaughter talk, how is The Faceless now since they got a new lead singer?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Taco_Fury posted:

With all this Summer Slaughter talk, how is The Faceless now since they got a new lead singer?
He sounds very similar to Demon Carcass, so much so that when they put out the demo version of a new song on YouTube with the new guy on vocals, nobody knew it wasn't DC. If you should be worried about anything with them it's that Keene's ego might grow so colossal that it begins to engulf entire songs.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

The Clit Avoider posted:

I have no idea how the hell that's all you're hearing. Inquisition are far more than "immortal worship".

Seriously. Apart from the corpsepaint and a few riffs that are reminiscent of the first two Immortal records they have nothing in common.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

The German black metal band? I get the impression that Desaster are lot like Inquisition (Columbia now US?). They've both been around for a while but really haven't released anything innovative or fresh in years.

The latest Inquisition album wasn't good? But Six Feet Under is 'going to be relevant' again? Oh ok.

Weaponized Cum fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 24, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Wow, I'm gonna have to check this out again or something. The Inquisition that was from Columbia, right? The one that's singer sounds a whole hell of a lot like Abbath?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
I never understood why people like Inquisition so drat much. Just sounds like typical black metal we have all heard before.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Taco_Fury posted:

He's great live as well, sounds a lot like Derek.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

nerve posted:

Full dates

I'll be at the Milwaukee show on the 17th. Very excited for this tour.

That reminds me that it's been a while since The Faceless put out their last album. I looked it up and they have a new one due in the fall supposedly. I really dug the stuff on 'Planetary Duality' but I'm kind of scared of getting a lamer and more "progressive" new record. I hope to be wrong.

Here's a pre-production version of a song from the new album :stare:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HtNlISxBwSw

That being said they were great when I saw them a couple years ago when they came through with Cannibal Corpse.

Edit: It looks like they got a different guitar player since. I really liked Steve Jone's style and thought he added a lot to the live show.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 24, 2012

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Taco_Fury posted:

I'm loving the new Sigh, by far the most different and original thing I've heard in a while. Could I get some recommendations for another one of their albums that stands out? They've got a pretty big discography and I'm not too sure where to start.

Also, catching Exhumed, Abysmal Dawn, and Cannibal Corpse at the beginning of May. This is my first metal show and I'm aware this question is pretty retarded...but how would I go about meeting Alex and George? Do the musicians just sorta hang out after the show and talk to fans?

Yes. Also, George and Alex are super super nice and will probably be wandering around. :) Good luck!

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Killsion posted:

I never understood why people like Inquisition so drat much. Just sounds like typical black metal we have all heard before.

Typical black metal with some of the shittiest vocals in the league, dude sounds like a limp frog-teen recording in his bedroom fearing that his parents will hear him

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New Fear Factory song from the new album:
http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=173021

It's not bad, but not terribly good either. I thought their last album was pretty killer, so I have high expectations for this one.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 25, 2012

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
The Summer Slaughter tour looks about as good the Metal Alliance tour.

edit: just okay.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
The upcoming Diablo Swing Orchestra album just got leaked.
I haven't listened to it, BECAUSE THAT'S WRONG MMKAY?, but I'm looking forward to it :D

http://www.diabloswing.com/

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Non Serviam posted:

The upcoming Diablo Swing Orchestra album just got leaked.
I haven't listened to it, BECAUSE THAT'S WRONG MMKAY?, but I'm looking forward to it :D

http://www.diabloswing.com/

So did Storm Corrosion. This is a great day for musical weirdness, I've been waiting for these two releases for awhile now.

edit: The last minute of the Diablo Swing album may or may not have been influenced by dubstep

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 25, 2012

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

New Fear Factory song from the new album:
http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=173021

It's not bad, but not terribly good either. I thought their last album was pretty killer, so I have high expectations for this one.

I liked it, but I have a soft spot for Fear Factory. Demanufacture, Archetype and Mechanize get pretty heavy rotation for me.

Valk
Aug 12, 2011

PhantomBowie tapped this @$$

:words:

By great Odin's Raven, Slaughter of the Soul by At the Gates is the best thing i have heard in months. I should have asked about this AGES ago.

Morbid Florist posted:

If you like that song Lamb Of God should be right up your alley
Couldn't ever really get into Lamb of God. It just feels all similar and wholly uncreative. It's got no soul mang! Just conjecture though.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Valk posted:

Couldn't ever really get into Lamb of God. It just feels all similar and wholly uncreative. It's got no soul mang! Just conjecture though.

In my opinion, Lamb of God took up the mantle of Pantera without doing anything better or different than Pantera did. Like, on a technical level some of what LoG does is better than Pantera (Chris Adler is a better drummer than Vinnie Paul, but Mark Morton and Willie Adler are no better than Dimebag and sorely lacking in the solo department), but as a whole they're a modern Pantera.

My biggest problem with LoG is Randy Blythe, actually. Phil Anselmo in his prime was a fantastic vocalist (and wasn't bad when I saw Down), but Randy just...doesn't have it, I guess. I was sorely disappointed in Resolution (except for Ghost Walking) for a multitude of reasons, namely because it didn't do anything different from LoG's older stuff and to an extent, nothing different from Pantera.

The same complaint (that is, everything sounds the same) can be extended to Pantera of course, but 1992 was a hell of a lot different musically than 2012.

Valk
Aug 12, 2011

PhantomBowie tapped this @$$

co199 posted:

In my opinion, Lamb of God took up the mantle of Pantera without doing anything better or different than Pantera did. Like, on a technical level some of what LoG does is better than Pantera (Chris Adler is a better drummer than Vinnie Paul, but Mark Morton and Willie Adler are no better than Dimebag and sorely lacking in the solo department), but as a whole they're a modern Pantera.

You articulated all of my opinions on Lamb of God deftly and succinctly. I was never a big fan of Pantera either for the reasons listed, and also because i was born around when they released Cowboys from Hell - Well into their homogenous period. I don't know, they had the punch but nothing else, whereas the bands i most enjoy keep the kickass but manage to keep it interesting.

EDIT: Also, best Insomnium album, go!

Valk fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 25, 2012

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Speaking of which, has anyone else heard more than one track from the new Cattle Decapitation album, Monolith of Humanity? I was lucky enough to get my hands on a promo copy of the album and I must say, it's pretty drat outstanding. I mean, I've kinda caught glimpses of greatness on their last few releases that caught my attention, but this one really caught me off-guard. It's a blend of death/grind/gore/tech that fits without coming across as super pretentious or just plain out contrived. It's got lots of tempo changes and well produced. Travis Ryans vocals are... well, kind of un-human. At first I didn't know if I liked all the screeching/singing vocals he does in contrast with deep growls, but upon repeat listens, I think it actually fits. Almost makes you skin freaking crawl.

They've got three new songs officially released online, and most of the rest are available in recordings of live sets. I'm so pumped for the release. The vocals have always been Cattle Decap's strongest asset, and it's great to hear Travis Ryan continuing to push himself to ever more insane and inhuman levels. Also, they seem to be upping the number of slow, emotional, progressive parts, which is great - the epic-melodic interludes on The Harvest Floor were fantastic, and it adds a ton of character to the band.

I'm really interested in hearing "The Carbon Stampede", which apparently has "gang vocals" from every member of Cephalic Carnage. The idea of a multitude of grind vocalists in an allegory about stampedes is so perefectly fitting that I don't even want to spoil it by listening to the live version. :)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Re: the new Borknagar.

I really loved Universal, and I don't think this one quite matches that album, but it's really drat good. I don't really care for the first track myself (though Borknagar albums tend to grow on me with time), but some of the other tracks (namely The Earthling and Frostrite) are really drat good (assuming you like modern Borknagar, which I would define as Epic and later).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q90kByHUtlQ

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Valk posted:

Black Dahlia Murder is unique and creative? :confused:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Morbid Florist posted:

Black Dahlia Murder is unique and creative? :confused:

I saw them at Ozzfest in I think 05, their lead singer was a fat annoying nerd and they were god-awful.

And after listening to the 'album trailer,' I couldn't agree more with the thread title. It's a shame, Ecliptica is still one of my favorite albums.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

big mean giraffe posted:

And after listening to the 'album trailer,' I couldn't agree more with the thread title. It's a shame, Ecliptica is still one of my favorite albums.

I've got Reckoning Night and bust it out every now and then. I never liked it enough to give any of their other albums a shot, though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CornHolio posted:

I've got Reckoning Night and bust it out every now and then. I never liked it enough to give any of their other albums a shot, though.

You should, the earlier ones are better.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Trees and Squids posted:

So did Storm Corrosion. This is a great day for musical weirdness, I've been waiting for these two releases for awhile now.

edit: The last minute of the Diablo Swing album may or may not have been influenced by dubstep

I'm just finishing the album and, honestly, I think it's great. It has more "soft" songs than.

And yes, there's definitely a weird electronic ending to this album. I saw someone on last.fm saying that it shows that they sold out, but I doubt that 30 seconds, out of 51 minutes, closing the whole album is a sign of "ZOMG DIABLO SWING IS JUST LIKE KORN" (actual last.fm comment). I'd say it's just another example of DSO doing, you know, odd stuff.

Also, sorry if I missed it if it was posted before, but Kreator covered The Number of the Beast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xiUrXfGOznE

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 25, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

big mean giraffe posted:

I saw them at Ozzfest in I think 05, their lead singer was a fat annoying nerd and they were god-awful.
I have no problem with a singer being fat if they just keep their loving shirt on.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Misogynist posted:

I have no problem with a singer being fat if they just keep their loving shirt on.

My favorite fat metal singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-41bacw2H-E

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I've read your post and parsed "fat metal" as a genre :v:

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Valk posted:

EDIT: Also, best Insomnium album, go!

They're all good, Across the Dark is my favorite, but their most recent is their weakest, in my opinion. Seriously though, all of their albums are worth listening to if you like Melodic Death Metal. They pretty much picked up where In Flames left off in 2000.

Also if you want more melodeath check out The Absence, Amon Amarth, Be'lakor, Ensiferum (Iron)

Defiant Sally fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 25, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New Kreator song, Phantom Antichrist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeDqeWtUH9M

Owns.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW_Lv0r-l4c

Some more Fat Metal

EDIT:

In case you're new to the genre, the defining charactaristics are:

-Shrieked vocals
-Fast tempo
-Tremolo picking
-Fat
-Listing only "My Kids and World of Warcraft" as your passions in life while tagging on "My wife of course" as an afterthought

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 25, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ueThSCIr4

"This music is slow and fat."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Always amazes me they have 3 vocalists who all have distinct death growls, love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taco_Fury
Apr 6, 2006

To apologize, I'll cut my source of pleasure.

Defiant Sally posted:

They're all good, Across the Dark is my favorite, but their most recent is their weakest, in my opinion. Seriously though, all of their albums are worth listening to if you like Melodic Death Metal. They pretty much picked up where In Flames left off in 2000.

Also if you want more melodeath check out The Absence, Amon Amarth, Be'lakor, Ensiferum (Iron)

Hell yeah on the Be'Lakor, pretty criminally underrated. As far as melodeath goes, Carcass' Heartwork is pretty mandatory. Definitely up there with Slaughter of the Soul as far as all the classics go. But it's a pretty big departure from Carcass' other work (not that any of their other albums sound similiar).

And I love Trevor Strnad, I don't get the hate.