Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef

VikingSkull posted:

Reading the comments on some of the news sites is hilarious. People are still bitching that Houston didn't get one, and they are boggled that the Intrepid is getting one. One literally said "why would an aircraft carrier get NASA stuff".

Maybe if Houston would send some of the old rocket poo poo to the Intrepid to commemorate, you know, the Intrepid picking them out of the sea this wouldn't have happened. gently caress you, Houston!

There should be hydraulically operated struts under the shuttle so the pilot could adjust it like a supermodified wing.

gently caress you dude. Houston is mission control. Big fail to not have a shuttle next to the Saturn V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MrChips posted:

The Boeing 777 (and, I imagine, all subsequent Boeing models) and the FBW Airbuses all have a sort of "dead-man switch" mode, where progressively more noticeable alarms will go off in the cockpit if no crew input is detected for a period of time.

On the topic of a "get me down" autopilot mode, the only civil aircraft I can think of that have one are the Gulfstream G650 and, incredibly, just about any light GA aircraft equipped with later revisions of the Garmin G1000 (the technology gap between a modern airliner and a modern Cessna/Piper is absolutely staggering, and not in the direction you'd think either). I imagine many more will have this feature in years to come.

There's also that Cirrus device that James Fallows raves about (basically a giant parachute that brings your plane down slowly instead of at terminal velocity).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

gently caress you dude. Houston is mission control. Big fail to not have a shuttle next to the Saturn V.

Maybe they should've tried.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Word is some guys working an oilfield found a P40 crashed in the desert in Egypt.

Thread's here. There are some people talking about the pixels, and the original pics seem to be down for bandwidth limits, but there's video, as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LsK74J_W0

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Phanatic posted:

Word is some guys working an oilfield found a P40 crashed in the desert in Egypt.

Thread's here. There are some people talking about the pixels, and the original pics seem to be down for bandwidth limits, but there's video, as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LsK74J_W0

That is hilarious. Are they taking the ammunition to use? Will it even work after all this time? I know 50 cal's are still very much in use but it seems silly they would be so hard up they're willing to use 70 year old ammunition that's been baking in the desert.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.

dayman posted:

That is hilarious. Are they taking the ammunition to use? Will it even work after all this time? I know 50 cal's are still very much in use but it seems silly they would be so hard up they're willing to use 70 year old ammunition that's been baking in the desert.

According to description the army came to remove the ammo (probably best in some army lockup somewhere instead of random hands, regardless of condition).

The rest, sadly, appears to be being stripped for parts. Between the first and second video it's obvious that bits have been removed / damaged.

A real shame as a P40 like that in that condition would be worth a poo poo load, in both financial terms to the salvor and in historic terms to a museum. Dare say it could be restored to flying from that condition. But alas, it will now be in 10,000 individual bits in Cairo markets and on eBay. :(

Edit: 1st video here.

blambert fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 23, 2012

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

You mean the Saturn V that was left to rot in the the weather for 25 years? The one that was delivered in flyable condition but was nearly destroyed by neglect? That one, right?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

The Twinkie Czar posted:

You mean the Saturn V that was left to rot in the the weather for 25 years? The one that was delivered in flyable condition but was nearly destroyed by neglect? That one, right?
Houston's shuttle was delivered in flyable condition, too.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

grover posted:

Houston's shuttle was delivered in flyable condition, too.

:stare:

Enough with the Columbia jokes already.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, give people a chance to digest the news, Jesus.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Godholio posted:

Maybe they should've tried.

Empty quotin' this. Texas has an entitlement complex almost as big as ... well Texas. Texas is terrible.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrChips posted:

The Boeing 777 (and, I imagine, all subsequent Boeing models) and the FBW Airbuses all have a sort of "dead-man switch" mode, where progressively more noticeable alarms will go off in the cockpit if no crew input is detected for a period of time.

On the topic of a "get me down" autopilot mode, the only civil aircraft I can think of that have one are the Gulfstream G650 and, incredibly, just about any light GA aircraft equipped with later revisions of the Garmin G1000 (the technology gap between a modern airliner and a modern Cessna/Piper is absolutely staggering, and not in the direction you'd think either). I imagine many more will have this feature in years to come.

I can't think of any valid arguments as to why those sort of systems don't exist in modern commercial jets. Hell, even an oxygen sensor in a duct that causes the FWCs to start shouting "low oxygen, don masks" and a turn on a flashing light on the mask boxes would be a start. The autopilot can already descend on its own for regular flightpaths, why not let it descend in emergencies as well? That goes for TCAS too.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

blambert posted:

According to description the army came to remove the ammo (probably best in some army lockup somewhere instead of random hands, regardless of condition).

The rest, sadly, appears to be being stripped for parts. Between the first and second video it's obvious that bits have been removed / damaged.

There's been a couple more posts about it on that keypublishing forum.

quote:

Bit more by someone there

The Egyptian government have been informed by the military. The army took only ammunition of the airplane to not hit the wrong hands. At the moment the plane is in the same state as in the movie. there is practically no possibility of the devastation of this plane because it is army complex - patrolled by the army.
The plane was found incidentally - do not do the explorations..
in mid-April, I'll try to go to the place where the plane - it will put more videos.

For now, I found this information:
AIRPLANE H87A-3
PART NO. 87-69-714R
CAL. 50, CAP.155 RDS
R.H. GUN BOX NO 2
I have a few pictures from the cockpit - I will try to end the week to include them on the internet - give them a link
https://picasaweb.google.com/114682566226043469349/Zdj_samolot?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKjxkt6rkNTFKg&feat=directlink has a bunch of high res photos of it.

How exciting, I wish I could see something like that in person.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Linedance posted:

I can't think of any valid arguments as to why those sort of systems don't exist in modern commercial jets. Hell, even an oxygen sensor in a duct that causes the FWCs to start shouting "low oxygen, don masks" and a turn on a flashing light on the mask boxes would be a start. The autopilot can already descend on its own for regular flightpaths, why not let it descend in emergencies as well? That goes for TCAS too.
because you dont want planes autonomously descending thousands of feet in congested airspace?

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

kmcormick9 posted:

because you dont want planes autonomously descending thousands of feet in congested airspace?

I know at least one bizjet's auto-descend feature (which only works with autopilot and autothrottle on) does a 90-degree turn then descends, the idea being that the biggest collision risk is something flying along the same path at a different flight level.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

kmcormick9 posted:

so you program it to pause the descent if it conflicts with another aircraft's TCAS envelope. The sort of incidents we're talking about don't happen when you're stacked in a hold over Heathrow, although they could. But then you're in controlled airspace and ATC can clear everyone out of the way.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

No, you'd program it to squawk a different code which would light up all TCAS systems around while keeping the troubled airliner on a predictable, yet lifesaving descent. e: if you're in a tight spot around an airport, chances are your altitude is 12000 or lower.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

No, you'd program it to squawk a different code which would light up all TCAS systems around while keeping the troubled airliner on a predictable, yet lifesaving descent. e: if you're in a tight spot around an airport, chances are your altitude is 12000 or lower.

yeah, that's fine. You wouldn't need to communicate to other aircraft, just a transponder squawk or automated CPDLC message to ATC, and just start descending and anyone potentially in the way gets a RA they have to address, and/or ATC can send out a message to everyone to be aware of AC in emergency decent through such and such feet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Linedance posted:

yeah, that's fine. You wouldn't need to communicate to other aircraft, just a transponder squawk or automated CPDLC message to ATC, and just start descending and anyone potentially in the way gets a RA they have to address, and/or ATC can send out a message to everyone to be aware of AC in emergency decent through such and such feet.

You set the right interrogator code on your TCAS and the next time your plane shows up on radar they would clear the airspace fast.

If you were on a collision course, TCAS will ALWAYS interrogate the other aircraft, discover who can descend or climb fastest and prevent the collision.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ola posted:

Right where all those airplanes don't have TCAS.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Linedance posted:

so you program it to pause the descent if it conflicts with another aircraft's TCAS envelope. The sort of incidents we're talking about don't happen when you're stacked in a hold over Heathrow, although they could. But then you're in controlled airspace and ATC can clear everyone out of the way.
That's complicated enough that you won't find it in an airliner for twenty years.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

Right where all those airplanes don't have TCAS.

TCAS is mandatory for airplanes above 12000 lbs or licensed to carry more than 19 passengers (thanks wikipedia). If you're in a small Cessna in uncontrolled airspace but above 10000 feet, not equipped with TCAS or any of the cheaper systems popular in GA, not listening to control and in the path of the automated descent, you are in the same danger zone as if the emergency descent was carried out by conscious pilots.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah but pilots are visually clearing. TCAS relies on TCAS. Most of the country doesn't have control in that airspace. I'm not saying it's a horrible idea, but it's something to look at.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

Yeah but pilots are visually clearing.

Then that would be equally sufficient for a daytime VFR aircraft in avoiding an automated descent as it would avoiding a controlled emergency descent, although above and from behind is a bitch to spot in a high wing aircraft.

While the risk of a midair collision is present in an automated descent, it's there in a controlled emergency descent as well, particularly against uncontrolled VFR aircraft. But these are separated by design. The level off altitude would be 10 - 12000 feet, most of general aviation (of the single radio, strictly day VFR kind) takes place below that.

The point (of this utterly hypothetical internet invention) is to save lives that would otherwise expire helplessly in the lower stratosphere, and the risk of an automated descent is very similar to the risks of a controlled emergency descent with regards to other aircraft. As for what happens once it's established at 10000 but none of the occupants are recovering...well, that's enough morbid internet speculation for now!

Gern Blandsten
Jan 28, 2012
I love the USCG racing stripe, but I haven't seen any posts of the beautiful Italian Guardia Costiera livery so far. Enjoy this Piaggio P.180.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ola posted:

The point (of this utterly hypothetical internet invention) is to save lives that would otherwise expire helplessly in the lower stratosphere, and the risk of an automated descent is very similar to the risks of a controlled emergency descent with regards to other aircraft. As for what happens once it's established at 10000 but none of the occupants are recovering...well, that's enough morbid internet speculation for now!

Besides, it's designed to replace an uncontrolled descent that will inevitably end in the death of everyone on board and anyone it hits.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ola posted:

For light aircraft: kill the engines & pop a chute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXQKaxp6Rlk and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8cntPdRtk

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 25, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ola posted:

Then that would be equally sufficient for a daytime VFR aircraft in avoiding an automated descent as it would avoiding a controlled emergency descent, although above and from behind is a bitch to spot in a high wing aircraft.

While the risk of a midair collision is present in an automated descent, it's there in a controlled emergency descent as well, particularly against uncontrolled VFR aircraft. But these are separated by design. The level off altitude would be 10 - 12000 feet, most of general aviation (of the single radio, strictly day VFR kind) takes place below that.

Fair enough, I'm not saying it's a bad idea at all, but everyone seemed to focused on how TCAS would prevent any bad things from happening, which is only the case in certain circumstances (ie, everything else has TCAS).

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
I tried to read the whole thread but skipped that last 2K posts or so...

http://vimeo.com/40935850

Pretty good video for a bunch of C-driving assholes...(I would kill to get that job in Kadena)

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Godholio posted:

Yeah but pilots are visually clearing. TCAS relies on TCAS. Most of the country doesn't have control in that airspace. I'm not saying it's a horrible idea, but it's something to look at.

Don't the majority of light aircraft now have mode-c or s transponders (definitely the case here in Canada)? The TCAS system in another aircraft would pick up those targets, and could avoid automatically.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TCAS I have no idea. Transponders, close to 50/50 maybe the edge goes to transponders. But there are a lot of VFR aircraft that aren't squawking.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

For light aircraft, there's PCAS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Collision_Avoidance_System

Less capable but much more affordable. But yeah, doesn't work very well at all if it doesn't have any transponders to interrogate!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I spy with my little eye, something that is stupid rare...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

D C posted:

That design was always so awesome.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

D C posted:

I autocross on the same ramp with 6 of those.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
P-51 at MIV:

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Godholio posted:

TCAS I have no idea. Transponders, close to 50/50 maybe the edge goes to transponders. But there are a lot of VFR aircraft that aren't squawking.

VFR aircraft are supposed to squawk 1200, your only problem is aircraft with no transponders, but they're restricted from controlled airspace.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's a lot of uncontrolled airspace and a lot of non-squawking aircraft in it. That's all I'm saying.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Non transponder aircraft are allowed in Class D and E airspace, which are controlled. Class E airspace makes up a good chunk of all airspace in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Mr.Peabody posted:

VFR aircraft are supposed to squawk 1200, your only problem is aircraft with no transponders, but they're restricted from controlled airspace.

Yeah, not all of them are Mode C capable either, and I'm pretty sure TCAS needs altitude reporting.