Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obscure Risk
Feb 23, 2009

TASed losers
Cya dopes

Ineffiable posted:

Can someone post when he goes live for the day?

Sure thing.
Live now! Day two of Cyghfer's Super Mario RPG WR Marathon.

Obscure Risk fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Obscure Risk posted:

Sure thing.
Live now! Day two of Cyghfer's Super Mario RPG WR Marathon.

Someone made this cool banner for cyghfer so I figured it was as good a time as any to plug his marathon once again:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Man I hate runs of turn-based RPGs, if the cards aren't played in your favor that's it for you. 2 hours in and Cyg is hosed due to luck.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
He's actually still ahead of the record, so as long as he doesn't get unlucky again, he should have it.

Having said that, how anyone can stand to speed run a RPG is well beyond me. SO much is beyond your control that it would drive me insane.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

I don't think he won. :(

Still very close and entertaining though!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Violently Car posted:

Having said that, how anyone can stand to speed run a RPG is well beyond me. SO much is beyond your control that it would drive me insane.

Yeah, not to take away from the runners but most of it seems to really be out of the player's control.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Wait, what?! He actually got it? Holy poo poo! :aaaaa:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

2:57:09.51

He beat it by nearly half a second! :toot:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

By less than a second. Hahahah, what the gently caress.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Violently Car posted:

Wait, what?! He actually got it? Holy poo poo! :aaaaa:

By about 1 second on a nearly 3 hour run amazingly enough.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Ha, first time I get to watch one of these live, and it's a WR breaker by one second. Amazing.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

:lol::lol:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
And he's not even the slightest bit smug about it!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

:laffo: He beat the WR even with THREE BATTLE ROOMS. He better beat this one posthaste to erase that debacle from memory.

Seriously though, good poo poo cyghfer.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
How did that work out? The chat kept mentioning something about a freeze in the old run and in the comparison video it looked like the other guy beat Smithy first so I stopped watching. Was the freeze long enough that Cyghfer was able to take the lead?

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I became a huge fan of Cyghfer from watching his LTTP runs. This poo poo is just icing on the cake. :)

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Oh hey a new Link's Awakening TAS. Wait, 40 minutes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CtmgUHDdYI

:stare:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh god what have they done to you!? My poor LA.

Oh, and Link's Awakening, pioneering Dubstep at 3:30~ minutes in.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Cosmo is running through Wind Waker right now. It's kind of nice to see what can be done in this game (doesn't seem like a whole lot) instead of constant OoT.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

New MST TAS was published:

http://tasvideos.org/2020M.html

35 minute improvement.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

http://www.twitch.tv/cyghfer Day 3 starting in ~5 minutes

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKdcjJoXeEY is the only thing I could think of when I saw this. (He's missing a frog coin to get something he needs)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Liku posted:

New MST TAS was published:

http://tasvideos.org/2020M.html

35 minute improvement.

Depressingly, that one became obsolete about a week after it was done (like encoded on YT, not accepted on TASVideos) because that's when Wrong Warping was found.

I think Swordless is doing an any% TAS before he goes back and re-does MST.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Kyrosiris posted:

Depressingly, that one became obsolete about a week after it was done (like encoded on YT, not accepted on TASVideos) because that's when Wrong Warping was found.

I think Swordless is doing an any% TAS before he goes back and re-does MST.

He's already done with it, it's just awaiting encoding.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh, even better!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
has he announced the time? It shouldn't take long to encode, being so short..

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I didn't see the WR run, but I have watched Cyghfer's attempts for hours throughout the past few days - he seems like a cool enough guy. I still don't understand the mind-set a speedrunner must have - he, for example, has been playing Super Mario RPG for two years. I just don't understand how somebody can pour so much effort into such a game.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What I find a little sad is that his efforts have improved the world record by one second at this point.. in a run over 3 hours long. He could not have picked a more cruel luck-dependent game to do in a single segment. Hope he gets a good run tomorrow.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I just checked on the stream from time to time. Before the run started, did he have new skips or previously undiscovered time savers in his pocket or did he choose to challenge the time intending to make up the different purely from execution and luck?

It seems to me that any speedrun attempt has to start with an assumption that some large enough gap exists to beat the old record. I seem to remember something about SDA requiring a minimum amount of improvement for game that took several hours.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He had a small strategy improvement compared to the previous world record holder. The standard strategy is to go through this tunnel on the path to Monstro Town 3 times, intentionally dying to reset a chest that contains an invincibility star. You keep the experience but everything else, I think including coins, chest contents and story events reverts. He did only 2 runs and made the experience difference up somehow.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

http://www.twitch.tv/cyghfer

Final day of SMRPG marathon, go!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Cyghfer had a close run going, but now he's got thumb cramps. :ohdear:

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

iastudent posted:

Cyghfer had a close run going, but now he's got thumb cramps. :ohdear:

One battle screwed the run.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
ZFG just got 21:56 OoT any% :stare:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Toad King posted:

Oh hey a new Link's Awakening TAS. Wait, 40 minutes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CtmgUHDdYI

:stare:

This is one of the most consistently surprising and funny TASs I've seen. Every moment of it from the humble professor tektites to the Bow-Wow and Ghosts in a normal dungeon room with a boss are exactly what TAS videos are for.

There's just something about when Link picks up an enemy's head and starts playing it causing it to shoot birds and telephones.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Lord Chumley posted:

One battle screwed the run.

He was behind for a good while but started to pull ahead a bit after the Boomer fight. Unfortunately, his thumb just couldn't keep up after 4 days.

He says he plans to stream tomorrow and do some final attempts along with lighter random stuff.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

furry drum circle posted:

ZFG just got 21:56 OoT any% :stare:

Link?

(No pun intended)

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Mike Uyama is doing a Prince of Persia: Sands of Time run atm: http://justin.tv/mikwuyma

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Mike Uyama runs are always fun to watch no matter what game he's running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Watching sinisterwon doing punch out runs.

Love he absolutely decimates every boxer and says he's playing horribly, wish I could play that "bad".

• Locked thread