Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Darval posted:

"This food tastes like baby blood"

Today I decided to add daddy blood to the menu. I was slicing along chopping up some veggies for a stirfry when one of the 8 year old girls was saying dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad...

I turned to ask what is it sweetie. being the terrible parent I am I did not give my child my full attention. Consequently I was still slicing as I was talking to her. I am now missing and minor but measurable portion of my pinky finger tip and fingernail. Not only does it sting but it just won't stop bleeding. I have mummified my finger in four by fours and surgical tape until it's the size of a golf ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
@TheMacaroni: If you're having trouble with dosa, there's a couple of things to try, and see if it helps.

1) Make sure you have enough urad. The traditional recipe calls for about a 1:4 ratio (urad to rice). I personally have found over the years that a little bit more gives me a bit more crispness and stability. I almost go for a 1:2 ratio.

2) Don't soak the urad daal overnight. It just needs 1 hour.

3) Don't grind the urad and the rice together. Grind them separately.

4) Add methi seeds to the soaking /rice/, which needs to soak overnight.

5) Let the dosa batter ferment at a warm temperature, just like if you were making yoghurt. If the outside temperature is too cold, preheat your oven to 350F, wrap your batter bowl (that's been covered, of course) in a warm hoodie (because apparently your batter supports Trayvon too), and let it set up for 3 - 6 hours. Also, if your house is really cold, add 1 TB of cooked rice (to the grinder along with the rice) per cup of batter that you're fermenting. It helps speed things along.

6) Make sure that the batter is thin enough. If you're working with something the consistency of pancake batter, it's too thick. You want more like a crepe batter almost.

7) If you have it, grind in some poha along with your rice. About 1/4 cup or so per 2 cups of batter should be enough. It gives a nice texture.

8) For your first attempts, use nonstick, and spred thinly with your ladle. If your dosa doesn't want to spread:

a) your batter didn't ferment long enough
b) you didn't add enough urad daal

If it's the first problem, you'll know, because bubbles are not forming on top of the cooking dosa when you lay it down on your skillet. If it's the latter, you can resolve it in an hour by soaking urad daal, and grinding it, then adding it to the batter.

Finally, make sure you rub your skillet with a cut onion, and a bit of fat before you fry the first dosa. That is, take about 1/4 tsp of til oil, and rub it onto the hot skillet with the cut side of an onion. THEN lay down your dosa. Between each dosa, re-rub the skillet (but without adding extra fat). There should be a little leftover fat from the previous dosa.

Also, if your heat isn't around medium high (too high, and the top side won't cook, and too low, and the thing won't set up), you'll need to wiggle the temperature as the dosa goes on and off. When first putting down the batter, you want a slightly higher temperature. Once you flip it the first time, you can ease it back a bit.

Or, just make adai, which is supposed to be thick anyway, and isn't so fiddly and finicky. Hope this helps!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
loving man up and turn your stove element on high and jam it on there for a few seconds to sear the wound shut

*don't actually do this

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

loving man up and turn your stove element on high and jam it on there for a few seconds to sear the wound shut

When I read this I actually squirmed in my chair and became a little ill.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Because you usually cauterise a wound at 125 for 72 hours or something, right?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

SubG posted:

Nah, gotta stitch it first. Kinda like a truss; if it isn't tight when you cook it, it'll split!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

SubG posted:

If you do this your wound will be extremely juicy and tender and fall right off the bone

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
Super glue. And none of that liquid skin stuff either. Clean the cut, blot the blood, super glue. Back to work.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
I went to go change for bed and found a small piece of the papery onion wrapper in my bra. poo poo just got real.

(The dinner was really good, though. I made the chicken marsala from another thread with risotto and garlic roasted green beans.)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

logical fallacy posted:

Super glue. And none of that liquid skin stuff either. Clean the cut, blot the blood, super glue. Back to work.

Does this work?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Does this work?

Yeah. I use a styptic bar to stop the bleeding though.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

Does this work?

I'm not so sure it's a substitute for going to a real doctor, but yes, it does work.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I use styptic pencil to stop minor cuts from bleeding, and yes it does work. Smarts though, feels like acid melting your wound shut.

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

Does this work?

Yep. It used my the US military in Vietnam, and approved by the FDA (much later) for that purpose. Hurts like crazy though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
It's mostly good where you can squeeze the skin together - e.g., cuts. If you chop off your pinky tip it's not so applicable.

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

mediaphage posted:

It's mostly good where you can squeeze the skin together - e.g., cuts. If you chop off your pinky tip it's not so applicable.

Been there, done that. Just bite a belt or something, and squirt it on. It bonds with the moisture and stops the bleeding. Not sure if the FDA (or your doctor) would approve, but it does work. Hurts, not a little.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

dino. posted:

Or, just make adai, which is supposed to be thick anyway, and isn't so fiddly and finicky. Hope this helps!
Thanks, helps a bunch! It's partly that my batter was too thick and partly user error. I was getting less bad at it by the end of the second batch. But the potatoes came out really good this time, so it wasn't as sad that our dosa didn't turn out perfect.

Poha in the batter sounds like a nice touch!

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Walk Away posted:

I'm not so sure it's a substitute for going to a real doctor, but yes, it does work.

I decided going to a real doctor was pointless. What was he going to do? Stick of skin and fingernail back on the end of my finger?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

NosmoKing posted:

I decided going to a real doctor was pointless. What was he going to do? Stick of skin and fingernail back on the end of my finger?

Maybe he could give you an attitude adjustment.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Walk Away posted:

Where the heck did that come from?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

therattle posted:

Not to mention high, wide and handsome.

A Charlie Poole reference cannot be allowed to pass without applause!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Filboid Studge posted:

A Charlie Poole reference cannot be allowed to pass without applause!

Charlie Poole? Who's that? I thought it was a Loudon Wainwright III reference (and song title), but perhaps he was referring to this "Charlie Poole" without my being aware of it.

Ah.

quote:

A double-CD album paying tribute to Poole was released by singer-songwriter Loudon Wainwright III in August 2009. The album, entitled High Wide & Handsome: The Charlie Poole Project, features 30 tracks, including new versions of songs originally recorded by Poole, as well as tunes composed by Wainwright and producer Dick Connette on the artist's life and times; it was awarded the Grammy for 'Best Traditional Folk Album' at the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards.

I have the Wainwright song on a Rough Trade compilation CD, and I really love it. Is the whole album good?

therattle fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 24, 2012

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
It's a good album, but High Wide and Handsome is probably the best song on it.

My favorite Loudon album is probably Last Man on Earth - that's the one to get if you don't have any.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

mediaphage posted:

Where the heck did that come from?

It seems being tongue-in-cheek doesn't translate well over the internets. I wish nothing but good on his poor finger.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
WOW this is really stupid but the active ingredient in making ramen noodles chewy (sodium carbonate) that's in kansui is actually sold in the US as "washing soda" by arm and hammer... so anyone who's been roasting off baking soda since Lucky Peach vol. 1 told us how can now just buy that instead

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Last time I checked, washing soda wasn't considered food grade, and is not made or stored in equipment designed to contain food for consumption. Possible contaminants may exist, ones you particularly don't want to ingest.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

No Wave posted:

WOW this is really stupid but the active ingredient in making ramen noodles chewy (sodium carbonate) that's in kansui is actually sold in the US as "washing soda" by arm and hammer... so anyone who's been roasting off baking soda since Lucky Peach vol. 1 told us how can now just buy that instead

The mechanism by which chew is achieved in chukasoba, bagels, and pretzels isn't unique to Na2CO3. It is due to alkalinity. Actually, historically one would use lye water to achieve the same effect. These days, people can just use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
So, a confirmed case of mad cow in Cali. The first thing I thought was, "YES! Cheap beef!" That was also the second, third, and all subsequent thoughts as well.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

pnumoman posted:

So, a confirmed case of mad cow in Cali. The first thing I thought was, "YES! Cheap beef!" That was also the second, third, and all subsequent thoughts as well.

Where, exactly?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Walk Away posted:

Where, exactly?

The news outlets are reporting that the USDA did not specify the location or the facility name other than to say it was discovered at a rendering plant in "central California". Also, it was a dairy cow. No further details at this point.

EDIT: Also, they state that it was an atypical case as it occurred spontaneously, and it was not due to the cattle feed.

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 24, 2012

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

pnumoman posted:

EDIT: Also, they state that it was an atypical case as it occurred spontaneously, and it was not due to the cattle feed.

Pardon the pun, but that's bullshit.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Totally gonna go spam the internet with *awareness* of mad cow. Looking forward to reduced beef prices this summer. :holy:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Maybe pork and goat prices will go up. This is good for my operation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Why did they wait till after I bought several prime steaks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

If you do this your wound will be extremely juicy and tender and fall right off the bone

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > GWS Culinary Chat: your wound will be extremely juicy and tender and fall right off the bone

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Vlex posted:

Pardon the pun, but that's bullshit.

That's actually entirely possible.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Walk Away posted:

My attitude is fine, but my finger is a bit throbby. :sigh:

WHERE'S MY FREE HEALTHCARE!?!?!

Decided that spending $150 for an emergency room visit (plus 10%) wouldn't be worth it for them to squirt some bacitracin on the wound and ask me if I had a recent tetanus shot.

Two nurses work here and they both said "yep, woudn't have done anything other than disinfect and bandage that!".

It'll be fine,but my fingertip will be a bit flat from now on.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Hey, it might not be a sword smite across the chin, but a scar's a scar nonetheless. The medals of stupidity and brashness.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I've had a genuine actual doctor tell me that regular superglue is safe enough for small cuts, and is actually preferable to stitches in some circumstances, especially clean cuts on hands. This is no help for Nosmo, but useful information nonetheless.

I always keep a fresh tube of superglue and a pack of steri-strips in my knife roll, so that I can forget they're there when I need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My daughter busted open her chin when she was 3 and the ER doc glued it shut. Said it was quicker and less painful than stitches.