Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
i dont get python and ruby folks

i mean if its web stuff just use java?

if its local stuff that has to go fast use c, or maybe c++?

it boggles teh mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

newreply.php posted:

it boggles teh mind

i don't get java and c++ folks

i mean if its web stuff just use python or ruby?

if its local stuff that has to go fast use go, or maybe rust?

it boggles teh mind

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
ok obviously that third line is ironic but the second one is real; i don't know why you'd use java for web stuff, from my limited exposure to it

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

newreply.php posted:

it boggles teh mind

why would you use java though, its way worse than python (or ruby, from my limited experience). THey are more powerful and easier to use.

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
the best language is lisp and the only people who don't think so are those too dumb to understand lisp. c is also good b/c you can write lisp interpreters in it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Police Academy III posted:

the best language is lisp and the only people who don't think so are those too dumb to understand lisp. c is also good b/c you can write lisp interpreters in it.

im sure lisp was all very well in the past but in the modern world we can have the best of both worlds. first-class functions and clean, logical syntax (c syntax). javascript is the answer, its what you always wanted from lisp but knew it was lacking, embrace it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

my stepdads beer posted:

wp7 does this already hth

the kin did, too

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Ronald Raiden posted:

why would you use java though, its way worse than python (or ruby, from my limited experience). THey are more powerful and easier to use.
bc everything imaginable has been done in it and you just get to google some stuff, slack off for the rest of the day, and get paid? ppl put way too much effort into the type of programming that doesnt even pay that well

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Hammerite posted:

im sure lisp was all very well in the past but in the modern world we can have the best of both worlds. first-class functions and clean, logical syntax (c syntax). javascript is the answer, its what you always wanted from lisp but knew it was lacking, embrace it.

javascript isn't really c syntax

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java is the best. python is trash

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

newreply.php posted:

bc everything imaginable has been done in it and you just get to google some stuff, slack off for the rest of the day, and get paid? ppl put way too much effort into the type of programming that doesnt even pay that well

right because nobody has made anything in python or ruby oh wait no there's tons of poo poo in python. and probably ruby I guess. And each of them have a package manager that comes with them too so its easy to add libs. I went back to java for a thing recently and was surprised by how much extra work I had to do, I was too used to python where poo poo is way easier.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

gently caress SNEEP posted:

i'm going to college to learn how to program bideo games (video games). i learned c in the fall and just finished my first c++ class. next semester I take another c++ class, a operating systems class (stuff like multi-threading), and a graphics class. i never have to learn java :hellyeah:

sounds like a great career move bro

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
JavaScript is pretty amazing cause you can use one language for both client side and server side. No more learning a dozen languages to make your web app. One is all you need.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Gentle Autist posted:

if tef stays out of it it will evolve into a food thread pretty quickly

sup :krad:

Police Academy III posted:

also, if anyone's curious, here is a list of the real (ie non-syntactic) differences between python and ruby:
  • in ruby you can monkeypatch builtin types
  • python has real multiple inheritance
  • python raises an exception when you access an attribute that doesn't exist, ruby returns nil

python you can monkey patch built-in types using ctypes
python has immutable strings
python uses iterators for collection operations, ruby uses observes (blocks)
ruby uses smalltalk style oo (message passing), python uses simula style oo (attribute lookup)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Anal Tributary posted:

ok obviously that third line is ironic but the second one is real; i don't know why you'd use java for web stuff, from my limited exposure to it

people don't write java, they write in xml to run on the jvm :confused:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Ronald Raiden posted:

quote:

゚ω゚ノ= /`m´)ノ ~┻━┻ //*´∇`*/ ['_']; o=(゚ー゚) =_=3; c=(゚Θ゚) =(゚ー゚)-(゚ー゚); (゚Д゚) =(゚Θ゚)= (o^_^o)/ (o^_^o);(゚Д゚)={゚Θ゚: '_' ,゚ω゚ノ : ((゚ω゚ノ==3) +'_') [゚Θ゚] ,゚ー゚ノ :(゚ω゚ノ+ '_')[o^_^o -(゚Θ゚)] ,゚Д゚ノ:((゚ー゚==3) +'_')[゚ー゚] }; (゚Д゚) [゚Θ゚] =((゚ω゚ノ==3) +'_') [c^_^o];(゚Д゚) ['c'] = ((゚Д゚)+'_') [ (゚ー゚)+(゚ー゚)-(゚Θ゚) ];(゚Д゚) ['o'] = ((゚Д゚)+'_') [゚Θ゚];(゚o゚)=(゚Д゚) ['c']+(゚Д゚) ['o']+(゚ω゚ノ +'_')[゚Θ゚]+ ((゚ω゚ノ==3) +'_') [゚ー゚] + ((゚Д゚) +'_') [(゚ー゚)+(゚ー゚)]+ ((゚ー゚==3) +'_') [゚Θ゚]+((゚ー゚==3) +'_') [(゚ー゚) - (゚Θ゚)]+(゚Д゚) ['c']+((゚Д゚)+'_') [(゚ー゚)+(゚ー゚)]+ (゚Д゚) ['o']+((゚ー゚==3) +'_') [゚Θ゚];(゚Д゚) ['_'] =(o^_^o) [゚o゚] [゚o゚];(゚ε゚)=((゚ー゚==3) +'_') [゚Θ゚]+ (゚Д゚) .゚Д゚ノ+((゚Д゚)+'_') [(゚ー゚) + (゚ー゚)]+((゚ー゚==3) +'_') [o^_^o -゚Θ゚]+((゚ー゚==3) +'_') [゚Θ゚]+ (゚ω゚ノ +'_') [゚Θ゚]; (゚ー゚)+=(゚Θ゚); (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]='\\'; (゚Д゚).゚Θ゚ノ=(゚Д゚+ ゚ー゚)[o^_^o -(゚Θ゚)];(o゚ー゚o)=(゚ω゚ノ +'_')[c^_^o];(゚Д゚) [゚o゚]='\"';(゚Д゚) ['_'] ( (゚Д゚) ['_'] (゚ε゚+(゚Д゚)[゚o゚]+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ (゚ー゚)+ (゚Θ゚)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ ((゚ー゚) + (゚Θ゚))+ (゚ー゚)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ (゚ー゚)+ ((゚ー゚) + (゚Θ゚))+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ ((o^_^o) +(o^_^o))+ ((o^_^o) - (゚Θ゚))+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ ((o^_^o) +(o^_^o))+ (゚ー゚)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+((゚ー゚) + (゚Θ゚))+ (c^_^o)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚ー゚)+ ((o^_^o) - (゚Θ゚))+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ (゚ー゚)+ ((o^_^o) - (゚Θ゚))+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ ((o^_^o) +(o^_^o))+ ((゚ー゚) + (゚Θ゚))+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ ((o^_^o) +(o^_^o))+ (゚ー゚)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ ((o^_^o) +(o^_^o))+ (゚ー゚)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚Θ゚)+ ((o^_^o) +(o^_^o))+ (o^_^o)+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+(゚ー゚)+ ((o^_^o) - (゚Θ゚))+ (゚Д゚)[゚ε゚]+((゚ー゚) + (゚Θ゚))+ (゚Θ゚)+ (゚Д゚)[゚o゚]) (゚Θ゚)) ('_');
yes this is really javascript

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

tef, i unironically like your effort posts, even if they make me feel dumb

thank you for posting them

:tipshat:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
is there a joke language based on the table flippin dude yet

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Ronald Raiden posted:

It has all the best parts of c syntax tho.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i went to a meetup thing for python last night, the two keynotes were both a little boring but one thing i took from it is that i need to learn c

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

tef posted:

python you can monkey patch built-in types using ctypes

please explain, this sounds wonderfully hacky

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

tinselt0wn posted:

JavaScript is pretty amazing cause you can use one language for both client side and server side. No more learning a dozen languages to make your web app. One is all you need.

this guy right here speaks the truth.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
waah waah i have to use two languages

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

OBAMA BIN LAUGHIN posted:

python is a really cool language

All Hat
Jul 11, 2008

He that is without int among you, let him first cast a long

JawnV6 posted:

gj not reading tefs post, dude

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

tef posted:

yes this is really javascript

:suspense:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

raise exception

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ronald Raiden posted:

right because nobody has made anything in python or ruby oh wait no there's tons of poo poo in python. and probably ruby I guess. And each of them have a package manager that comes with them too so its easy to add libs. I went back to java for a thing recently and was surprised by how much extra work I had to do, I was too used to python where poo poo is way easier.

lol no. java is like 10000x easier. maven is the best build/dependency management tool there is.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
yeah but java and ruby and python all suck for that because you have to screw around with dependency management in the first place. in php all you have to do is include what you need

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
i dont think the subset of valid js that consists of only "table flip dudes" is gonna be enough to program in

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Hammerite posted:

lisp syntax is as clean and logical (other than maybe only having prefix operators and Lots of Insidiously Silly Parentheses) as you can get because there's very little of it.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

clearly java is dying

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

There Will Be Penalty posted:

lisp syntax is as clean and logical (other than maybe only having prefix operators and Lots of Insidiously Silly Parentheses) as you can get because there's very little of it.

lisp is also awesome because lisp macros are awesome

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Sulk posted:

clearly java is dying

isnt that site based on some stupid metric like "total sloc committed to sourceforge in each language" or w/e iirc

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

OBAMA BIN LAUGHIN posted:

python is a really cool language

im learning it for splunk

welp cya

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

rip sourceforge

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

lisp is also awesome because lisp macros are awesome

agreed, idiot cadr eater.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

tinselt0wn posted:

you can do this with clojure and actually use a lisp for real programs, it's pretty cool i highly recommend it

also gently caress json, s-expressions 4ever

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

There Will Be Penalty posted:

agreed, idiot cadr eater.

wel i never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

nukethewhales posted:

tef, i unironically like your effort posts, even if they make me feel dumb

thank you for posting them

:tipshat: