Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I heard lpix is going down for maintenance so that may be a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Sluts
Nov 21, 2010

pandaK posted:

I heard lpix is going down for maintenance so that may be a factor.

Probably was. They're back up. Thanks!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Last time I was okay at ceremonies, got on a boat, killed Sephy's mom's arm, crossed a mountain, then went to a theme park. FF7 makes no loving sense.

I could buy the lifetime ticket now but I need my money for Cosmo Canyon.

Okay!

I wanted to pick a different person than Elentor. Turns out he picked Yuffie who I don't have.

So I take the experimental surgeon for variety's sake.

I like being able to say I know what plot relevant things are the first time they're brought up and be honest.

Anyway Ice-T joins us.

"My adrenaline's pumpin', I got my stereo bumpin'!"

I already took Ice-T's Silver Bangle and materia. Literally the first thing I did.

Except the Masamune is internally a gun and

I like this guy. He's to the point.

"Pigs deserve what's comin' for them!"

Barrel is good at dancing around bullets. Either that or Shinra troops are horrible shots. He can dance for hours.

Anyway I take Taft with me because I want to try and get her to avoid Dyne's EXP.

She's dead, and in the party. But she's level 6 and the minimum level for Taft is 7. I know it's futile.

Extreme Nihilism is a common occurance in FF games.

DRAMATIC BATTLE! AN UNDERLEVELED BARREL VS. DYNE!

And that's why I stole so many Right Arms. They are powerful. Anyway Barrel gets full EXP and everyone else, Taft included, gets half.

I've never seen you before now :confused:

Even if I never use it I'm still getting the Ranch materia.

I have raced so many chocobos you lunatic you have no loving clue

Still badass at it after all these years.

"Okay Aerated I heard those finger quotes from here. What can we actually go over?"

Behold, Taft as she will be for the rest of time. I'll make sure she never faces the scourge of bathtubs experience again.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I think that by this point, Taft is made of bruises and concussions.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brainamp posted:

I think that by this point, Taft is made of bruises and concussions.

It's a good thing for her unconscious people can't feel pain.

Karate Sluts posted:

I've been reading the updates to catch up, but the pictures stopped loading for me today. Is anyone else having trouble with the images? The update I am on is "Creepy Korean Horror Movie Hour."

In retrospect, I really should have named it Japanese Horror Movie.

mtrc
Mar 29, 2011

THE FUTURE, YOU GUYS
If the character is unconscious and not in the party do they still gain XP?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

"Okay Aerated I heard those finger quotes from here. What can we actually go over?"

Yellow polygons and "not all that dark" blue polygons. :downs:

FinalSin posted:

If memory serves, characters not in the party have 1 HP and are assumed living at all times.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

FinalSin posted:

They gain half-exp, hence why I have to juggle characters sometimes.

It'll get hilarious once bosses start giving several thousand EXP each.

Also Elentor update faster I'll be only a smidge behind you in two more of my updates :(

Robot_Z
Jun 30, 2011

All this time I
thought it was normal
Clever Betty
It's been very, very quiet. I am loving the Fluffy Sheep updates but I want to see good old normal play through too. Here's to hoping for an update...soonish? :ohdear:

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
We're all replaying the game. You should too, there'll be more updates when you get back.

I actually finished it all again already. I've just been drinking since then. I guess you could try that, too.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I wanted to keep playing alongside Elentor and my Disc 1 is missing. I can't buy a new copy of this game, it costs 250 dollars. :qq:

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
Dont know if this is :filez: but I think if you own the game on disc you're okay to download a ROM to play on an emulator. You can even export the save to the playstation through some unknown wizardry

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

No, that's pretty much a myth sadly.

The :filez: part I mean. You can definitely transfer a PSX memcard save, via, say, DexDrive. I owned one way back when.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cuchulain posted:

I wanted to keep playing alongside Elentor and my Disc 1 is missing. I can't buy a new copy of this game, it costs 250 dollars. :qq:

Buy a pre-opened GH copy and it's like $7 as it should be. Only super weirdos demand sealed non-GH FF7 for their candle-lit shrines (I mean, uh, "collections")

yes I see the $250 on Amazon but there's a used copy for $20 + S&H. Which is still robbery, but if you're that desperate...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Tallgeese posted:

No, that's pretty much a myth sadly.

The :filez: part I mean. You can definitely transfer a PSX memcard save, via, say, DexDrive. I owned one way back when.
Is having the rom for one day then you delete it, also a myth?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Yes. God only knows where the hell it came from, because it certainly was not from a lawyer.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are MANY ways of acquiring this game legally, isn't it dead cheap on PSN?

Cuchulain posted:

Wait what?

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
It's $9.99 on PSN, at least in Canada. That's how I've been playing it lately. I never owned the original PS1 version

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Elentor posted:

Wait what?

That's gotta be for an original PS version or the PC version. No way the PSP or PS3 version costs that much.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cuchulain posted:

Well then as has been said, buy a used one. Alternatively, if you have access to it, there's that $10 digital PSN version. Failing everything else, I'm sure you have a friend or someone you know who has a copy and would either lend it to you or rip it to an iso for you or whatever. I mean we're all nerds here, I'll be very surprised if absolutely none of your friends IRL has a copy.

Vil posted:

But yeah, in FF7's case it's kinda moot in many cases, what with the whole :10bux: on PSN thing.
I know I just said "PSN version," but truth told I refuse to buy Sony products these days. Just a personal ethics thing, I don't like 'em as a company. This means their PSN service is a non-option for me; it's also a non-option for people who own neither PS3s nor PSPs. On top of that, I've seen the PSN version, but I don't know the format or anything. Probably proprietary poo poo.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 26, 2012

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

My understanding, which could be wrong: legal technicality-wise, a computer copy that you rip yourself from your own discs (for a backup, and not to be shared) is okay under the general clause of "you are allowed to make a single backup copy of any piece of software you have purchased", while the exact same collection of 1's and 0's obtained from any other source (regardless of whether you also possess the discs) is a horrible horrible vile thing that makes you a bad person.

As far as ethics go, rather than legality, of course, the pertinent question is not "how did the 1's and 0's get onto your computer" but instead "did you actually buy a copy of the game". Lawyers and corporations live and make fortunes off technicalities, though, so if push came to shove, don't think for a second that common sense will trump some blurb in legalese.

But yeah, in FF7's case it's kinda moot in many cases, what with the whole :10bux: on PSN thing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
As a person who got Valkyrie Profile for about $130 a very short time before they announced VP: Lenneth, old releases of PSX games that are available for much less elsewhere drive me to despair.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vil posted:

My understanding, which could be wrong: legal technicality-wise, a computer copy that you rip yourself from your own discs (for a backup, and not to be shared) is okay under the general clause of "you are allowed to make a single backup copy of any piece of software you have purchased", while the exact same collection of 1's and 0's obtained from any other source (regardless of whether you also possess the discs) is a horrible horrible vile thing that makes you a bad person.

This is actually true, provided that you continue to retain the rights to possess the program.

17 USC §117 · Limitations on exclusive rights: Computer programs
(a) Making of Additional Copy or Adaptation by Owner of Copy.—
Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement for the
owner of a copy of a computer program to make or authorize the making of
another copy or adaptation of that computer program provided:
(1) that such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in the
utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a machine and that
it is used in no other manner, or
(2) that such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes only and that
all archival copies are destroyed in the event that continued possession of the
computer program should cease to be rightful.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Wait, you can get this on the PSP now? I thought it was a PSN thing only on the PS3, which i don't have. I am never going to get anything accomplished ever again.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

Wait, you can get this on the PSP now? I thought it was a PSN thing only on the PS3, which i don't have. I am never going to get anything accomplished ever again.

All PS1 games on the PSN can be used on both the PSP and the PS3. Oh, and the Vita too, I guess, but screw that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The only problem I can see with PSX games on the PSP is that some require dual-analogue or all four shoulder buttons, which the PSP can only emulate with some horrendous button combinations and nub movements.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Randalor posted:

The only problem I can see with PSX games on the PSP is that some require dual-analogue or all four shoulder buttons, which the PSP can only emulate with some horrendous button combinations and nub movements.

I haven't tried anything that required dual analog, but yeah it's kinda weird having to use the analog nub for transformations in Symphony of the Night.

mtrc
Mar 29, 2011

THE FUTURE, YOU GUYS

Elentor posted:

There are MANY ways of acquiring this game legally, isn't it dead cheap on PSN?

Works great as well. I was surprised to see so few games ported this way onto PSN, the Final Fantasies work so well.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hunter Noventa posted:

I haven't tried anything that required dual analog, but yeah it's kinda weird having to use the analog nub for transformations in Symphony of the Night.

Which is strange as SoTN as part of Dracula X just makes you hit both shoulder buttons.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

caleramaen posted:

That's gotta be for an original PS version or the PC version. No way the PSP or PS3 version costs that much.

:raise: Wait, the PC version goes for that much? I have a copy of that in my stuff. Yeah, the box is a little dinged up, but it EXISTS.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

caleramaen posted:

Original PS version if it's still brand new, maybe. The game sold 10 million copies just 15 years ago. You can pick it up used for about :10bux: from ebay or your local game shop.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

fosborb posted:

Original PS version if it's still brand new, maybe. The game sold 10 million copies just 15 years ago. You can pick it up used for about :10bux: from ebay or your local game shop.

I didn't say Ebay economics make sense, that's just what some people charge for it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

caleramaen posted:

I didn't say Ebay economics make sense, that's just what some people charge for it.

Funny the lengths they will go to to buy a physical copy because it's "authentic".

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!
Don't forget about the super-rare(!!!) misprint that makes it ever so valuable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2bBpTDSefk

I actually have one of these sitting around and a copy of the game on PSN. Maybe I should go ahead and make a buck off a sucker.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Grenadier posted:

I actually have one of these sitting around and a copy of the game on PSN. Maybe I should go ahead and make a buck off a sucker.

Ugh, have some dramamine handy if you're going to watch that video.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Grenadier posted:

I've got the misprinted one too, it's not that rare.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Grenadier posted:

There's something about this that depresses me a little and I can't quite put into good words why it is, but it's something to do with the fact that it's such a minor error and yet not only do a whole bunch of people think it's an important thing but that they'll pay a bunch of money for the sake of one missing letter.

Not a dig at you guys, just at the kind of super obsessed OTT chaps. (if you are one of those guys then yeah, it's totally a dig at you.)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Phoenix Taichou posted:

There's something about this that depresses me a little and I can't quite put into good words why it is, but it's something to do with the fact that it's such a minor error and yet not only do a whole bunch of people think it's an important thing but that they'll pay a bunch of money for the sake of one missing letter.

Not a dig at you guys, just at the kind of super obsessed OTT chaps. (if you are one of those guys then yeah, it's totally a dig at you.)

That's pretty much the definition of capitalism there; having something that someone else doesn't. It being rare makes it worth more because fewer people have it.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 3, 2012

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phoenix Taichou posted:

That's a side-effect from something called positional value. Rarity plays an important value in human's perceptions of things. Just look at History (or diamonds).

Sorry for the lack of updates, I can't even say it's work this time. Health issues :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Grapplejack posted:

That's pretty much the definition of capitalism there; having something that someone else doesn't. It being rare makes it worth more because fewer people have it.
Scarcity leading to value is one of the assumptions of capitalism, but it's far from being the whole of the definition, and in any event predates capitalism by rather a lot.

• Locked thread