Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Hammerite posted:

boy this sure is a stupid argument

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Monty_Hall_problem/Arguments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Actually, I did the experiment this way: my gorgeous hostess dealt 5 cards face down before me, 2 of them were cars and the other 3 were goats. I selected one and kept my hand over it. Of the remaining cards, my hostess eliminated a goat and teasingly offered to let me change my mind and select from one of her 3 remaining cards, which of course I did. And we did this 60 times, and each time I succumbed to the temptation to select one of her cards. (This was a precondition to our opening a bottle of Chateau Mouton Rothschild which we had acquired for this occasion.) As it turned out, I won the car 32 times, so my overall chances were about 50/50 by always switching. And so with this, my hostess moved my attention to the difference between mystery and mystique.Safetyweek (talk) 07:49, 2 December 2011 (UTC)

:wink:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Hammerite posted:

Actually, I did the experiment this way: my gorgeous hostess dealt 5 cards face down before me, 2 of them were cars and the other 3 were goats. I selected one and kept my hand over it. Of the remaining cards, my hostess eliminated a goat and teasingly offered to let me change my mind and select from one of her 3 remaining cards, which of course I did. And we did this 60 times, and each time I succumbed to the temptation to select one of her cards. (This was a precondition to our opening a bottle of Chateau Mouton Rothschild which we had acquired for this occasion.) As it turned out, I won the car 32 times, so my overall chances were about 50/50 by always switching. And so with this, my hostess moved my attention to the difference between mystery and mystique.Safetyweek (talk) 07:49, 2 December 2011 (UTC)

:wink:

i dont know what any of this is

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

graph posted:

i dont know what any of this is

monty hall problem. probably the most misunderstood statistical thingy ever

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
its a piece of piss 2 prove....ppl must be hella thick

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Rufo posted:

its a piece of piss 2 prove....ppl must be hella thick

I think the main thing people get stuck on is weather or not the 'monty' is aware of the contents of the mystery boxes or not

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Amethyst posted:

monty hall problem. probably the most misunderstood statistical thingy ever

it tends to be retold without being explained right and people base their (wrong) guesses on the wrong problem

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Mister Snips posted:

it tends to be retold without being explained right and people base their (wrong) guesses on the wrong problem

a little bit after starcraft 2 came out a bunch of people were unironically advocating a base-scouting technique called "monty hall scouting".

Say you start on a map with 3 other possible base locations. one of those locations has the enemy base, but you don't know which.

so you chose one at random, and send your first scout there, and chose another to visit second with a waypoint.

the ~super smart-man clever trick~ came in if the first base was empty - you change your second choice to the other base location, because - by the monty hall theorem - it changes the odds! :downs:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

to be fair, teachers tend to explain this simple problem very poorly

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Amethyst posted:

a little bit after starcraft 2 came out a bunch of people were unironically advocating a base-scouting technique called "monty hall scouting".

Say you start on a map with 3 other possible base locations. one of those locations has the enemy base, but you don't know which.

so you chose one at random, and send your first scout there, and chose another to visit second with a waypoint.

the ~super smart-man clever trick~ came in if the first base was empty - you change your second choice to the other base location, because - by the monty hall theorem - it changes the odds! :downs:

what if there is a goat the the first base

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Ronald Raiden posted:

you click on the goat until it explodes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ChiralCondensate posted:

you click on the goat until it explodes

goatse.mtex

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Ronald Raiden posted:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Ronald Raiden posted:

you see if you can get to second base with the goat

ew lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Trig Discipline posted:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Trig Discipline posted:

ewe lol

Wit_sponge
Dec 29, 2008

FUUUCK

Trig Discipline posted:

ew lol

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

ewe boll

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Trig Discipline posted:

ew lol

aha

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamer#Types_of_gamers

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Lock the thread. We're done here.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

For girls, the games aren't taking away from face-to-face interactions. The games are a form of socializing. They're just replacing time these women would've spent watching TV or some other media.

:suicide:

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
lmao

Average Gamers?
People who don't play casual games but don't spend all their time being geeks and playing and reading about games. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 90.199.175.152 (talk) 14:57, 23 November 2008 (UTC)

No way. That makes no sence, and there is no referance. Corrupt one (talk) 06:48, 19 January 2009 (UTC)

"normal people dont exist"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

cool, outstandingly sexist and homophobic

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
str8 acting gaymer for nsa j/o power bottom/leveling

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

ahahahahahahahahaha holy poo poo

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
as a gamer, I

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
pff way to run with the heard, sheep. i'm a post-gamer

im into after match stats screens

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
sometimes i feel like I'm a mid-core gamer trapped in a girl gamer's body

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

got dat wmd posted:

im into after match stats screens

postmodern warfare

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
everyone knows youre really a gaymer

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

got dat wmd posted:

post gamers play the same game over and over again but set the difficulty a little higher every time

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i only play games ironically

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Ronald Raiden posted:

postmodern warfare

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

this is it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

quote:

For girls, the games aren't taking away from face-to-face interactions. The games are a form of socializing. They're just replacing time these women would've spent watching TV or some other media.

This is different from male gamers (aka - gamers), who play video games for more serious, utilitarian reasons, like exercising their superior spatial awareness.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
close this thread, we found the most worthless thing you can find on wikipedia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Maybe could use a rewrite, but this article describes something that few formal studies have been performed on, therefore speculation and personal experience is a requirement. Jason Parise 20:06, 28 August 2007 (UTC)

The following suggestions were generated by a semi-automatic javascript program, and might not be applicable for the article in question... You may wish to browse through User:AndyZ/Suggestions for further ideas. Thanks, Dihydrogen Monoxide (H2O) 22:59, 13 September 2007 (UTC)

I'm intereseted in something the media occasionly calls nintendo kid syndrome. It is when kids become highly focused on gaming, to the exclusion of social development and other such things. They may buy a basketball game as they like basketball, but would not even THINK of playing it in real life. Those kinds of things. I would appreciate any referance resource you can send me. Corrupt one 23:38, 12 October 2007 (UTC)
The symptoms seem to match Asperger syndrome (AS), meaning there may be a link between them, if it is NOT a type of AS itself. Corrupt one 00:00, 15 October 2007 (UTC)
[edit]

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 26, 2012