Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

joe944 posted:

Edit: (12 hours later? Haha) Got a reply from the HR contact and she said they are actively interviewing internal and external candidates. In my experience that means I'm boned...

It doesn't have to be. Having known people doing hiring it can mean you were not the specific fit they were looking for, but are still keeping you on the hook because that doesn't mean you wont be the best option in the time they have for the hire. Hell I Had an offer that took so long to get I had already interviewed, took an offer and started a job elsewhere during the wait.

Hell, I had a rejection that took over a month to get. I ended up being overqualified for the position, but they were not willing to say no to the potential hire in case they couldn't find someone at the experience level they wanted. Hiring is painfully opaque and you really often have no idea what the hell is going on. While you might get a quick hire if you end up being a flawless fit, it can be really slow otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Juriko posted:

Hiring is painfully opaque and you really often have no idea what the hell is going on. While you might get a quick hire if you end up being a flawless fit, it can be really slow otherwise.

That's why every interview I ever go to I bring an assortment of audio bugs to drop around the office.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Juriko posted:

Hiring is painfully opaque and you really often have no idea what the hell is going on. While you might get a quick hire if you end up being a flawless fit, it can be really slow otherwise.

Definitely. The process has been somewhat iffy from the start. After the initial contact I didn't hear anything until she wanted to schedule an interview which was then pushed back because the team was too busy.

I had great feedback and felt a good vibe during the interview, so we'll see. Not too many Jr. Sysadmin jobs around, they mentioned me being one of 8 candidates out of 1000.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Juriko posted:

It doesn't have to be. Having known people doing hiring it can mean you were not the specific fit they were looking for, but are still keeping you on the hook because that doesn't mean you wont be the best option in the time they have for the hire. Hell I Had an offer that took so long to get I had already interviewed, took an offer and started a job elsewhere during the wait.

Hell, I had a rejection that took over a month to get. I ended up being overqualified for the position, but they were not willing to say no to the potential hire in case they couldn't find someone at the experience level they wanted. Hiring is painfully opaque and you really often have no idea what the hell is going on. While you might get a quick hire if you end up being a flawless fit, it can be really slow otherwise.
I got an offer from a company, and in the process of negotiating the terms of the offer letter, I lost the offer. At one point I sent an email question and didn't hear back for a week. When they asked if I had taken a different offer the next week, I said that I was still interested, and it turned out the guy thought he'd sent me the response but didn't have me on the email. And then they ended up giving an offer to some other guy who wanted an offer sooner.

It was rather annoying. I can see how it happened, but I'm definitely not taking poo poo for granted again.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I'm looking at relocating from Topeka to Bellevue / Omaha by the end of the summer and I really have no good ideas about who any of the employers are in that area. I'm currently working Hell Desk and making decent money and I'd like to match the pay (18/hr) while possibly doing something more than my current duties. Any suggestions on who to look at for potential employment in that area?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EDIT:

Looks like it's gone.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 7, 2012

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

We've got budget for three new people and so far the people we've interviewed have been terrible. I don't have an official job posting yet but basically we're looking for linux system admins that have experience with jboss, mysql/sql server, netscaler/f5. Also just to note, you DO NOT need to know everything, as long as you're strong in at least one area we can work with the rest.

We're called Airbiquity in downtown Seattle, PM or email me (arendon@airbiquity.com) if you're interested and I can forward your resume. I'll update with the actual job description as soon as I get it.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 24, 2012

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Job seeker-

Training: Associate's in CS/IT, A+ certification

Experience: ~1 year of entry-level call center-type IT

Looking for: Entry-level helpdesk/IT work - something that I can get more experience in the field while doing.

Email me at borissnm (at) gmail dot com.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Job Seeker

My Experience: I have been in the IT field since 2000. Over the past decade or so I have gained experience with a wide variety of hardware and software. My strengths are in Windows Server/Active Directory administration and broadly, problem solving. I enjoy digging into difficult technical problems and figuring things out. I enjoy learning new things. I also have extensive TCP/IP networking experience, as well as Cisco experience (I was CCNA certified but it expired a while back). I have some exposure to Linux administration, primarily with Debian. Recently I have also picked up Powershell scripting. I also have basic DBA skills including SQL2005/2008. I also have specialized skills and several years of experience with IT as it relates to dentistry, including practice management and digital x-ray imaging.

Education/Certifications: I do not have a degree, and this has never held me back. I have MCSE and MCSA certifications.

What I'm looking for: Junior sysadmin, primarily Windows/AD. The range I'm looking for is $25/hour+ equivalent. Exposure to new things that I want to learn, such as SANs and virtualization.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helldesk. I've done my time on the phone, and I am so through with it. Never again.

Where I live: Metro Atlanta, GA.

Where I'm looking: Within the Metro Atlanta area, but with a few exceptions due to the way traffic works around here. Telecommuting would also be fine if the job is not local. I am not in a position to relocate anywhere else at this time.

When I can start: Offer date + 2 weeks

Requirements: Permanent, full time, decent medical benefits, at least $25/hr equivalent, preferably non-exempt. Opportunities for learning and advancement are extremely important to me. They are completely lacking at my current job and that is why I'm looking.

Can be reached via: PM

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Looking for a freelance web developer
Huragok contacted me, and my friend has been getting along well with him. Thanks, SA!

A friend of mine wants to do a start-up and needs a web developer. There's a couple thousand dollars in cash available right now, and there's company equity if you wanted to get excited and join the start-up instead of contracting.

If you might be interested (or if you want to tell me that decent web-work is more expensive than that) send me some email at MniotSA@gmail.com or MniotSA on AIM.

Mniot fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 4, 2012

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

We're moving and expanding our repair shop and will need one or two techs:

We need: Someone with a good mix of customer service and technical skills. We'd like someone friendly and professional, that can also troubleshoot stuff like typical spyware cleanup, Windows corruption, Mac data recovery, laptop hardware replacement (keyboard, touchpad, motherboards, screens, etc). A+ certificate is a bonus but not required.

We are: A small PC repair shop that's finally getting a decent location (moving from a relatively low key office to a storefront on a major road)

Where we are: Newport/Middletown, RI

How to apply: Either post here to let me know you're interested, or PM me

We're a relatively new shop but there are really limited options in this area for PC repair, and with the local Best Buy closing we expect to get a pretty decent amount of business. We don't do any advertising and have survived strictly on word-of-mouth so far.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

slightpirate posted:

I'm looking at relocating from Topeka to Bellevue / Omaha

Sent you a PM with some off the top of my head info. There's a few other places coming to mind so if you're interested ill pm those too!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thornes posted:

I don't have any formal requirements or anything on me but I figure I'll give this a shot.

I work at an IT consulting company based in the NYC/Long Island area and my company is currently looking to hire an NYC field tech and also a help desk guy for the Long Island office (East Northport). We also have an NYC office so if you're awesome enough you could probably just be placed there instead. We mostly deal with Windows but some clients have a few Macs as well.

The software we use is ConnectWise for our ticketing system and Labtech for monitoring/other MSP type stuff. Experience with this is definitely going to be a plus.

Basically for the field tech they're looking for someone with a pretty good amount of experience who can also think on their feet.

For the help desk guy it's mostly just about being friendly with the customers but I believe the higher ups are looking for someone who has at least a medium level of experience working the desk.

So if any of you guys are interested feel free to shoot over your resume or any questions to my username at gmail. We're a pretty laid back company but there is work to be done!

Email and resume sent.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

AutoArgus posted:

Sent you a PM with some off the top of my head info. There's a few other places coming to mind so if you're interested ill pm those too!

Please send it again, I didn't have plat until about 30 seconds ago! Thanks in advance!

Gelob
Jun 9, 2006

We recently hired our second goon to fill a PHP programmer position. It looks to me like things are working out well so far :). Hire goons they are awesome!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

My company just had a vacancy and I can honestly say that despite a few shortcomings (no casual Fridays, health plan is meh at best but dental is done by reimbursement and costs way less than a regular dental plan, only the big six federal holidays off) it's a really amazing bunch of people to work with. We're a managed service provider in Manhattan, conveniently located almost equidistant between Port Authority and Penn Station.

The guys and girls I work with are very good technical-minded people, we're all very laid-back and high-energy, and we're not evil corporate or anything like that. I'm not sure if the job is going to be more phone and remote support or more onsite support, or if they'll blend it like the previous incumbent had (90% of us are blended between onsites and phone/remote, I and one other person are phone/remote-only) but it's a good place to be. We do have Transitcheck for up to the current $230 government pre-tax maximum, decent vacation/sick/personal day allotment, and there's no real limit to what you can bring to the table or pick up on the job.

Bonuses paid for passed cert exams, reimbursements for training materials and exam fees, etc.

We're 97% PC and 3% Mac. Lots of Win 7 knowledge to go with XP. We run Exchange save for one or two clients who have Lotus Notes, but we're not too heavily involved with that. Lots of knowledge on networking, printers, MS Office 2003, 2007, and 2010 will be very good to have. We use Sonicwall and Cisco VPN clients.

Please send resumes or questions to mjpbyron at gmail dot com. There's lots of good times to be had at this office - we really do work hard but also play hard. I know there's a posting out there somewhere and will put a link here once I track it down.

We have a vacancy to fill in the role above for one of my co-workers who is moving out of state!

quote:

a leading provider of managed IT services to SMB and enterprise businesses in the New York area, is seeking an experienced Level 2 Desktop Support Engineer to join our engineering team to serve our growing client base. This person will provide remote and onsite end user desktop support to a subset of our clients running Windows and Exchange environments.

Requirements:
Candidates must have strong working knowledge of MS Office 2007/2010, MS Windows XP/Windows7 & 2003/2008 Server, Blackberry handhelds w/ BES server, VPN, network and connectivity troubleshooting. Mac experience a plus.

Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Enthusiastic individual with professional appearance and strong desire to provide quality support and customer service.

Details above are taken from a Monster posting, but I'll probably be able to kick your resume forward if you're a good match. I've placed three people here through referrals. Also posted in the Google Doc.

This is a great role for someone who's done their time at desktop and/or help desk for a year or so and wants to be in a place that rewards getting your certs, gives you new challenges, and can deal with end users well. We can't have a Nick Burns but we don't use scripts to govern your every interaction with clients.

It's a great place despite the dress code. If you know what you're doing and can fix something, usually all you need to do is notify the person in charge of the account and make sure they're kosher with it. I've gotten enough knowledge here to finish my 2k3 MCSA and get my MCITP: SA. The salary is decent for the work.

There is no relocation budget but if you want to move to NY/NJ, I can point you in the right direction for decent areas in which to live and exist.

I'm more than happy to answer questions or forward resumes. Contact info is above, or you can PM me.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MJP posted:

I'm more than happy to answer questions or forward resumes. Contact info is above, or you can PM me.

Sending you my resume now.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Still looking for a Project Manager in Ann Arbor, MI - details in the OP's spreadsheet.

Poops McGee
Aug 27, 2004

Boy, this Funke is all anybody's ever talking about!
Desktop Support...Engineer?

I wasn't aware troubleshooting to success qualified as engineering. Let me guess - salary employment and expectations but hourly job duties?

Sounds like HR doublespeak to get around overtime pay requirements for "non-exempt" employees if I have ever heard it.

I can't wait until 5 years from now when these positions go to interns who work for free in exchange for the 'experience'.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Poops McGee posted:

Desktop Support...Engineer?

I wasn't aware troubleshooting to success qualified as engineering. Let me guess - salary employment and expectations but hourly job duties?

Sounds like HR doublespeak to get around overtime pay requirements for "non-exempt" employees if I have ever heard it.

I can't wait until 5 years from now when these positions go to interns who work for free in exchange for the 'experience'.

Probably, but it can be a real thing too. Ours is responsible for packaging applications, imaging and random scripting stuff.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
My previous job had me as an "IT Engineer". It was a glorified desktop janitor with light sysadmin duties.

nacon
May 7, 2005

Positions Filled!

nacon fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 12, 2012

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

chrisf posted:

Job Opening(s)
Where: Golden Valley, MN (Twin Cities Metro area)
About us: We are a dialup/DSL ISP and Telephone provider (CLEC) with a majority of our business done with Minnesota end users. We have been in business since the late 90s, and our customer base has varied between growing and stable despite the economic downturn.
What: Part time customer service/tech support call center. Primary availability desired is 4pm-8pm mon-fri and 10a-6p sat (additional hours may be available during the 7a-4p shifts based on staff levels). Most of our part time employees work 2-4 4 hour shifts during the week and half (10a-2p) or all of a saturday shift. Average call topics include DSL, dialup, and telephone service troubleshooting, billing/account questions, and new service orders/very light inbound sales.
Summer is a lower call volume time period for us due to our primary customer demographic not being hardcore computing enthusiasts. However, as the weather cools and call volumes pick up, any full time positions needed are offered first to part time employees who have proven that they can handle additional responsibilities.

(some) Benefits of working here: Laid back callcenter environment. Flexibility regarding time off requests made in advance. Opportunity for advancement.

Interested? Have questions? PM me, or email me at my forum name with an r between the s and f @gmail.com and I'll answer to the best of my ability and/or give you my boss's direct email to send a resume to.

quoting myself from 2010 again as my boss is trying to drum up another part time evening shift employee or two.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Job Seeker: 25 year old help desk/support monkey. Couple years of Geek Squad/hands on and several years call center and remote support experience. Looking for any sort of a job at this point.

Where: I live in Burbank, so pretty much anywhere in the LA Area

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
If anyone has an active TS and a few years of Linux administration, I got linked to the coolest drat job posting I've ever seen. I won't spoil it.
http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/servlet/JobSearch?op=302&dockey=xml/7/2/72316b74b230423630e7b9642b5b5a59@endecaindex&source=19

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Pudgygiant posted:

If anyone has an active TS and a few years of Linux administration, I got linked to the coolest drat job posting I've ever seen. I won't spoil it.
http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/servlet/JobSearch?op=302&dockey=xml/7/2/72316b74b230423630e7b9642b5b5a59@endecaindex&source=19

I so bet that is a position involved in putting together the NSA's Utah Data Center in Bluffdale.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/1

... hope you don't mind being on the side of the government while they trample on the constitution.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
The helpdesk position that was posted here has now been filled.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 8, 2012

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

McGlockenshire posted:

Shot you a PM.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Edit: undoing my threadshit.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
quick question, could any rock-solid resume building / editing goons PM me? I'd like to edit my resume up for this latest round of applications and I'd like a second or maybe a third set of eyes on it. I'd rather not have to list my job as a janitor at a high school on there as I held the position like 6 years ago.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Job Seeker!

My Experience: I have two years of IT experience in various helpdesk/junior system admin roles.

Education/Certifications: I have an AAS in Computer Technology from a local community college.

What I'm looking for: Junior Sysadmin or Network Engineer. Higher tiered helpdesk is acceptable too.

What I'm NOT looking for: Call center. I don't mind doing help desk stuff and assisting people in person, but I would prefer not having to answer 200 calls a day and read from a script. I also want to be out of the automotive industry.

Where I live: Clemson, SC

Where I'm looking: Upstate SC/Piedmont area.

When I can start: Immediately

Requirements: Permanent, full time, preferably 1st shift M-F. Compensation $35k-42k in the Upstate area. I would like opportunities for training and advancement.

Can be reached via: PM

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

slightpirate posted:

quick question, could any rock-solid resume building / editing goons PM me? I'd like to edit my resume up for this latest round of applications and I'd like a second or maybe a third set of eyes on it. I'd rather not have to list my job as a janitor at a high school on there as I held the position like 6 years ago.

Some goons have a little business over in SA-Mart that specializes in resume writing.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Maneki Neko posted:

Looks like our corporate IT department is looking for a Sysadmin (maybe jr) with some desktop support to grow the team a bit. This is all supporting internal users, you're not on the phone with our customers or anything crazy like that.

Office is in Chicago, downtown in the loop, close to the L & Metra.

They're really looking for a jack of all trades person, it's an all Microsoft shop, although we do have a few users on Macs. We use Windows servers, Exchange, VMware, etc.

If you're interested or want more info, shoot me a pm or email vedichymn at gmail.com and I'll be happy to answer any questions or send over the link.

Just sent you a PM.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Trying this again since I'm really getting demoralized. It seems like in the Tampa area, if you don't know .NET, Java, Oracle, or SAP, you're unemployable. Please prove me wrong! :(

My Experience: 2-3 years of web and application development. I specialize in PHP, but am totally willing to sit down with a book for a week and learn whatever language(s) a company would want me to learn. I learn fast. I also have experience in developing mobile apps for the Android platform and with MySQL, PostgreSQL, and DB2 database systems on the back end.

Outside of development, I have also done some CJ-ing and can manage IIS and LAMP servers. All thrown in with some Linux scripting.

Education/Certifications: Bachelor's in Information Technology.

What I'm looking for: Web, software, application development.

What I'm NOT looking for: Network administration, Hell desk, CJ-ing, QA or testing type jobs

Where I live: Tampa Bay area

Where I'm looking: Tampa Bay / Clearwater

When I can start: I can start in two weeks after accepting the offer to give my current employer a heads up.

Requirements: Permanent, full time employment. Health, dental, vision insurance. 401k. I'm a new dad, so I can't do much travel or real overtime/on-call.

Can be reached via: e-mail me at jmgolz AT GMAIL DOT COM

No, seriously, hire me! I'm getting frustrated seeing all these developer jobs that I don't currently have the required skills for. I know I could pick up whatever the company wants in no time flat. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any ads for developers that don't know the skills but are willing to learn. :(

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 2, 2012

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009
E: :ninja:

AutoArgus fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 29, 2012

What The Pfargtl
Sep 10, 2007

This message brought to you by the United States Department of Condescending Paternalism.
JOB SEEKER

Experience: 3 years at a helpdesk in a higher education setting.
Certifications: A+, MCDST, MCTS
What I'm looking for: Help desk or Jr. Sysadmin
What I'm NOT looking for: A position that's mostly over-the-phone support
Where I'm at: Raleigh, NC
Where I'm looking: Anywhere in the Triangle, really
When I can start: NOW
Requirements: Full-time, permanent position (any shift); health/dental insurance
Can be reached via: Ephexx at gee male dot com

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

joe944 posted:

I'm still waiting to hear back from my Jr. Sysadmin interview last thursday, they said they had 5 more candidates to interview. Just sent an email to the HR contact I was dealing with, hopefully I get a reply.

Edit: (12 hours later? Haha) Got a reply from the HR contact and she said they are actively interviewing internal and external candidates. In my experience that means I'm boned...

After a week and a half I finally got another response! Apparently I'm in the 2nd round of interviews, of which I'll be undertaking this Friday. This is the furthest along I've been so far in my job search which usually consists of being jerked around by recruiters, who I've pretty much refused to deal with any further unless a dream job comes my way.

Hopefully they won't think I'm a leper since I'm covered in sunburns and peeling all over the place.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

duz fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 7, 2013

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

joe944 posted:

After a week and a half I finally got another response! Apparently I'm in the 2nd round of interviews, of which I'll be undertaking this Friday. This is the furthest along I've been so far in my job search which usually consists of being jerked around by recruiters, who I've pretty much refused to deal with any further unless a dream job comes my way.

Hopefully they won't think I'm a leper since I'm covered in sunburns and peeling all over the place.

YES! YOTJ has finally landed upon my doorsteps.

Had my second interview today and before I finished the commute home I received a phone call with an offer for the job with a 42% raise over what I'm making now.

No more entry level BS, I'll be an actual Jr. Sysadmin supporting a very large infrastructure of websites. The culture seems to promote to Sr. level positions from within, which I should find myself achieving pretty quickly I imagine.

I can't wait to hand in my 2 weeks notice.

joe944 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
The technical support positions that were posted here have been filled.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 8, 2012