Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Allan Assiduity posted:

Raising area affinity and the map system aren't good? :confused: Area affinity is a bit imprecise, certainly, but what's the issue with the map system? (Provided that you don't mean the fast-travel, which is really rad.)
I'd really like a marker/waypoint system for things other than the story quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Marogareh posted:

He can wield the Monado for a completely different and out of left field reason so keep playing.

Why would you say something like this? (Spoiler tags added by me)

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Raptor1033 posted:

Still haven't beat the game yet. After a few key cutscenes I had a dreadful thought occur. Are... are those dreams Shulk has of falling into a hole real? Did he die and get resurrected by the Bionis? Is that why he can wield the Monado? Oh god, it can't be true! :ohdear:

Do you really want to know?

-------No-------

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

Marogareh posted:

You get truckloads of it later killing dudes or doing quests. The bad thing about heavy armor for me is the severe lack of slots. I've only found 2 armor pieces with them in 100+ hours but i'm guessing they'll start dropping off those level 90 something monsters.

This is remedied somewhat by a skill in Melia's 4th skill tree.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Violently Car posted:

Why would you say something like this? (Spoiler tags added by me)

Didn't think it was spoilery and i apologize if that was the case. Edited my original post just in case.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Marogareh posted:

Didn't think it was spoilery and i apologize if that was the case. Edited my original post just in case.

Telling someone that their theory is right or wrong kinda spoils some of the discovery, that's all. :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

SombereroLad posted:

This is remedied somewhat by a skill in Melia's 4th skill tree.

I have that tree but remember not being too excited by it. What in it could help with lack of slots?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

davidHalestorm posted:

I did that, yeah and to sum up, Melia "late game spoiler" lost a father, a mother, a step-mother, a brother and her step-sister hates her guts. Oh, and her love for Shulk is unrequited So, you were right about her.

EDIT

Ooh, almost forgot, "more late game spoilers" she's also lost her home and now are forced to fight and killed her own people . Nice

Don't forget that she even has to help kill both her brother and her stepmom, which is fun. And no-one in the party except Riki seems to give a poo poo. This is alleviated somewhat in the H2Hs, but still... Melia turned into one of my favorites when she was the only one in the party who didn't act like a complete utter moron when Shulk almost gave Mumkhar the frikkin' Monado!.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm really early on still and this is hands down one of the funnest games I've ever played, though the environment is a bit huge just before Colony 6. I want to explore but it would take forever and I'm afraid to overlevel.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Lakitu7 posted:

I have that tree but remember not being too excited by it. What in it could help with lack of slots?

Probably the Unadorned Beauty skill. It gives a 20% boost to all stats, but you have to give up all gems including the ones in your weapon.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Well, we're off to Colony 6 now... just the two of us. :smith:

That was a hell of a start.

The story is really well done so far, and the game is nicely establishing how screwed everything is. Only TWO Homs colonies left? poo poo.

I'm glad that I didn't spend any points leveling up Fiora's skills and arts. Question: If I HAD, would I have gotten those points back, or would they have been lost forever?

Unique monsters seem really nasty, for every one I killed, I got wiped out at least three or four times.

I'm getting a bit more used to combat with the Wiimote, but it took me quite a while to figure out how to do a chain attack, even with the tutorial.

EDIT: Six, not nine.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 26, 2012

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Skill and Talent points are bound to a character. So you can't really waste them. You also didn't "keep" them either.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm not sure I understand that completely, but thanks for the information.

Now that I think about it, I have more questions. I get that Strength is for increases melee damage, but what about Agility? Is that for dodging, or are some weapons based on Agility?

Ether is magic, I guess, based on the presence of "Ether Resistance". Do I need an ether-using character for that to matter?

Each character seems to have a three different trees (Inspiration, Humanity, Spirit) that do things, but I have no idea what I should pick... not that it seems like I can pick anything there yet.

I take back my complaint about not being able to see your current stats in a shop - you can if the cursor is on one of the tabs, not an item.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The game is super liberal with character development. All points are per-character rather than shared between characters. Characters you're not using get almost as much experience as those in the active party. Skill links (you don't have these yet) can be respecced at any time.

Agility is just dodge. I don't think attack skill is based on it but I could be wrong. The arts menu tells you what each skill is based on.

Ether is magic power. Some skills are based on ether, even on physical characters. These have a horizontal line through their icons, and it says so in the extended descriptions in the arts menu.

Skill tree skills are mostly earned and then active, so the only choice is which to get first. You'll probably have enough to get all of them, in time. Also you can switch between trees at any time with no penalty. Pick whatever sounds good to you, but you don't need to put a lot of thought into it.

This is absolutely not at all the sort of game where you need to plan character builds at the beginning, or particularly worry about any such choice. Play around as you see fit.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

Agility is just dodge. I don't think attack skill is based on it but I could be wrong. The arts menu tells you what each skill is based on.

It's also chance to hit which becomes very important for certain post-game enemies or if you are trying to take on anything multiple levels above you.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The only part that gives me trouble is that each character has far more abilities than they have slots for. I seriously have no idea what artes everyone should be using, and once I think I have it figured out, there's a 'ding' and they learn a new one.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
So, I just beat the game and it was AMAZING. Pretty much everything was resolved in the end, and the last area was awesome.

Big End Boss Spoilers! Dickson so lived up to his name in so many ways. The final boss was pretty easy playing as Fiora, I had her with 50% haste, 50% double attack, and +50 agility and her 4th skill tree. Putting that together with speed mode took off like a quarter of the last bosses health, and she still managed to dodge pretty much all of his attacks. I am so glad he didn't have spike damage.

Not quite sure what was up with the boss ghosts at the end though. I mean, they did bump me up to level 79, so I was pretty glad they were there.

Zanza honestly only out jackasses Egil and Dickson by merit of actually destroying a universe, which is a pretty impressive feat.

Definitly game of the year for me.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, I find myself really wishing for at least a few more artes slots almost as much as I wish I could use more then three characters.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Does anyone know off the top of their head where you can trade for a Red Frontier collectible late in the game?

edit: nevermind I just checked the spreadsheet thing on the first page and I think I found it.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 26, 2012

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Valliantstu posted:

So, I just beat the game and it was AMAZING. Pretty much everything was resolved in the end, and the last area was awesome.

Big End Boss Spoilers! Dickson so lived up to his name in so many ways. The final boss was pretty easy playing as Fiora, I had her with 50% haste, 50% double attack, and +50 agility and her 4th skill tree. Putting that together with speed mode took off like a quarter of the last bosses health, and she still managed to dodge pretty much all of his attacks. I am so glad he didn't have spike damage.

Not quite sure what was up with the boss ghosts at the end though. I mean, they did bump me up to level 79, so I was pretty glad they were there.

Zanza honestly only out jackasses Egil and Dickson by merit of actually destroying a universe, which is a pretty impressive feat.

Definitly game of the year for me.

(end boss discussion reply) I was somewhat disappointed with what they did to Dickson since he was the coolest character by far, though the intro with "I am Dickson of the Trinity" was really badass. Just wish he had a bigger motivation than "I'm a grunt, I obey Zanza."

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So do you have to do anything special to trade with NPC's? I've seen people talk about it but I have yet to run into anyone who is willing to trade, but that might just be luck of which NPC's I've been talking to.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
edit: I am laughably incorrect!

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 26, 2012

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Any NPC who has a name will trade with you, minus major story characters.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

BitterAvatar posted:

So do you have to do anything special to trade with NPC's? I've seen people talk about it but I have yet to run into anyone who is willing to trade, but that might just be luck of which NPC's I've been talking to.

I'm pretty sure you can trade with any NPC with a name. The button to trade is different than the button to talk. It's Y on the classic controller.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Ximum posted:

I'm pretty sure you can trade with any NPC with a name. The button to trade is different than the button to talk. It's Y on the classic controller.

Well, that would explain it. Thanks for the info.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
A little Y button icon that says "trade" does pop up in the corner but it's very easy to miss. As your star level with the area increases, the quality of what they have available goes up.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'm thinking I have to ease back on sidequests if I ever want to beat this game. I just got to Alkamoth and considering the size of it and amount of sidequests available, fatigue is starting to set in.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Could someone who's beaten the game give me some help / advice? I played this game like crazy when it first came out, got hit with some medical problems, and never really had a chance to dive back into it until now.

Now I'm trying to go back to it, and it's been so long that I have no clue what the hell I'm meant to be doing. I'm pretty sure I'm only hours from the end of the game, though.

I'm on the 3rd floor of Central Factory, with a huge red forcefield blocking my way, and a huge mob called Majestic Mordred patrolling infront of me. I'm not sure whether I need to grind the levels necessary to beat the mob, or go back and find some way of opening the door. Because my entire map is already explored, I have no clue where to even begin looking for a switch (assuming there is one).

I don't really want to go looking for a walkthrough or a map. I've waited 6 months to find out what happens next, and I don't really want to risk spoiling it at this point ^^;

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

I'm thinking I have to ease back on sidequests if I ever want to beat this game. I just got to Alkamoth and considering the size of it and amount of sidequests available, fatigue is starting to set in.

Definitely. In fact, I did absolutely zero quests in that area.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Cardboard Box posted:

I skipped that whole part for quests when I first did it and came back to do the quests for affinity and such and when I had quickstep and was more powerful so I could just mop up and it was simple. That area sucks. There aren't enough landmarks in that city. I mean in Colony 9 they have marks right down the drat street from each other and this one there's whole areas you can only walk to.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
That city being a) the most annoying area for quests and b) a point where fatigue reasonably would start to set in anyway, is made worse by the fact that most of them are timed, so you can't even put them off for too long.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I cannot figure out gem crafting for poo poo. I'm just trying to make cylinders without making any crystals but no matter what I do, I get some party support that I don't freaking want and it ALWAYS goes towards the effect I don't want it to go to and it goes over 100 resulting in a lovely crystal and a cylinder in an effect I don't care about.

I'm only at Satorl March, level 31 so I'm using Sharla as the shooter and Dunban as the engineer because they have the least affinity and therefore the boosts will be small allowing me to build up to a decent cylinder in the high 80s or low 90s. But getting party support from Shulk and Reyn is constantly putting it over 100. For example, I had double attack at 61% and first attack plus at 44% and I get party support for double attack and ended up with a 101% crystal while staying the 50s for first attack plus. This happened 5 times in a row and I wasted all of my double attacks.

I'm loving everything abut this game so far but gem crafting in making me want to bash my head in. Any advice or do I just have to slog through this headache?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Lakitu7 posted:

That city being a) the most annoying area for quests and b) a point where fatigue reasonably would start to set in anyway, is made worse by the fact that most of them are timed, so you can't even put them off for too long.

Of course the cutoff for those quests won't happen for something crazy like 20+ hours of gameplay depending on how much sidequesting and whatnot you do elsewhere. I think there is only like 3-4 hours of story content left once you pass the point where those quests expire.

What's more annoying are the timed quests in Agniratha. Sure, I'd love to do your dozen kill x of y quests before finishing the very same area you give them to me in, during a very critical bit of story progress. Time to go spend an hour finding 5 of a stupid collectable!

EDIT: ^^^^^^^^ I have found you will always get party support in crafting when you DON'T want it, and never see enough of it when you're shooting for mega heat. This is going to keep happening unless you breakdown and start savescumming to take the edge off the randomness. If you have to just focus more on getting things into their own cylinders instead of pushing them as close to 99% as you can, but you'll always get shafted occasionally.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 27, 2012

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lakitu7 posted:

You can put them off for a really long time.

I still haven't gotten around to doing many quests yet. Is there a 4th/5th skill tree that grants a movenent speed bonus? I might prioritize that. Also, does riki's movement speed ability stack? Like, if I have 3 people in the party with that skill linked, do I get the bonus 3 times?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Reiche posted:

I cannot figure out gem crafting for poo poo. I'm just trying to make cylinders without making any crystals but no matter what I do, I get some party support that I don't freaking want and it ALWAYS goes towards the effect I don't want it to go to and it goes over 100 resulting in a lovely crystal and a cylinder in an effect I don't care about.

I'm only at Satorl March, level 31 so I'm using Sharla as the shooter and Dunban as the engineer because they have the least affinity and therefore the boosts will be small allowing me to build up to a decent cylinder in the high 80s or low 90s. But getting party support from Shulk and Reyn is constantly putting it over 100. For example, I had double attack at 61% and first attack plus at 44% and I get party support for double attack and ended up with a 101% crystal while staying the 50s for first attack plus. This happened 5 times in a row and I wasted all of my double attacks.

I'm loving everything abut this game so far but gem crafting in making me want to bash my head in. Any advice or do I just have to slog through this headache?

Throw in a few more effects you don't give a drat about to increase the odds of the ones you do not going above 100%. Also make sure the two people you are selecting are geared towards gentle flames. As your party affinities increase, this becomes more of an issue so you may want to savescum for effects you really care about.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tyma posted:

Could someone who's beaten the game give me some help / advice? I played this game like crazy when it first came out, got hit with some medical problems, and never really had a chance to dive back into it until now.

Now I'm trying to go back to it, and it's been so long that I have no clue what the hell I'm meant to be doing. I'm pretty sure I'm only hours from the end of the game, though.

I'm on the 3rd floor of Central Factory, with a huge red forcefield blocking my way, and a huge mob called Majestic Mordred patrolling infront of me. I'm not sure whether I need to grind the levels necessary to beat the mob, or go back and find some way of opening the door. Because my entire map is already explored, I have no clue where to even begin looking for a switch (assuming there is one).

I don't really want to go looking for a walkthrough or a map. I've waited 6 months to find out what happens next, and I don't really want to risk spoiling it at this point ^^;

Back near the entrance of that floor, there should have been another forcefield door. On the left and right side of that forcefield should be hidden doors / alcoves. One of them has a unique mob and a switch that opens something that lets you progress forward.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

evilalien posted:

Throw in a few more effects you don't give a drat about to increase the odds of the ones you do not going above 100%. Also make sure the two people you are selecting are geared towards gentle flames. As your party affinities increase, this becomes more of an issue so you may want to savescum for effects you really care about.

Guess I gotta go with save scumming then. Thanks.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Allan Assiduity posted:

Raising area affinity and the map system aren't good? :confused: Area affinity is a bit imprecise, certainly, but what's the issue with the map system? (Provided that you don't mean the fast-travel, which is really rad.)

Raising area affinity puts the issues with the subquest system, namely how awful and retarded pixel hunting for one named NPC out of dozens in a huge area at one specific time of day and having to talk to everyone not once but twice, all at different times of day, front an center.

Fast-travel is indeed rad. The lack of a zoom button, any notes system, or landmark function, is idiotic however. It's worse too because the Wii's native resolution is low enough to make all the icons on a map into amorphous blobs.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 27, 2012

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tyma posted:

Red forcefield? More like RED HERRING if you ask me! :downsrim:

Warp to Tower Boarding Gate, then go west. You can't go through the other barrier right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
Just got to the Valley, after the mountains. Are the Anti-mechon weapons the only ones effective against them? Or will any weapon after this point be useful?

• Locked thread