Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, my reaction was more "hey, it's the Xen platforming sequence from Half-Life, only not as good, crossed with the fleshy level from Blood, only not as good, and unlike either I have only a single weapon with just barely enough ammo to kill anything so if I miss at all I am hosed" and that's the reason I haven't made it any further in AMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Morter posted:

Can anyone recommend a map pack/collection of SP maps for Duke Nukem 3D? I've played a ton of the Attrition mod, and I intend on continuing to do so, but with user maps not already included in the mod. If someone could point me to a nice, neat collection of any caliber (besides the 5000+ duke levels thing out there), I'd appreciate it :3:

Just reposting this for the new page, since no one answered before, but I'll only do this once more. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just tried out the AMC Team, and played as Dusty. Not a bad game at all, I like how the weapons feel...although I promptly got stuck in the area with the Envirosuit. I think I fixed all the leaks because I picked up the Universal somethingsomething plan...but my objective is to still seal all the leaks, though I can't find any...but still, fun game! :shobon:

Morter fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 24, 2012

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Aaah, it looks like you do keep your loadout if you start a mission via the terminal just off the side of the weapon upgrade shop, but if you start it via the briefing, then you lose it all.

Suggestion for a lazy workaround: Just have the briefing end take you back to the AMC base, then tell the player to gear up and pick the mission from that screen.
Hmm, this is strange - I'll have to look into why this is happening but it shouldn't happen like that at all. What level is this affecting again, Millhaven? Megabase should be the only level you don't get your equipment due to the crashing ship (And I'm planning to add upgrades to future episodes with things like better shields or lock boxes that'll keep your stuff if the ship gets destroyed in a cutscene) and also a later level which is a flashback before the AMC squad, for obvious reasons. For future episodes I do need to revamp the way missions work since many people wanted to revisit the base after each mission rather than the way it's done now.

quote:

Yeah, my reaction was more "hey, it's the Xen platforming sequence from Half-Life, only not as good, crossed with the fleshy level from Blood, only not as good, and unlike either I have only a single weapon with just barely enough ammo to kill anything so if I miss at all I am hosed" and that's the reason I haven't made it any further in AMC.
There should be enough ammo and health dotted around to survive, but if you just want to get past it with cheating than the Duke3D cheat codes still work as intended (Although for anybody playing it on the higher skill levels it blocks the ability to get skill trophies) Sorry you're having trouble with the jumps though, if I had more time I should of added alternate routes and stuff and made it less linear (making the jump ones high-risk high-reward) Keeping motivated whilst building stuff is difficult for me these days though.

If you're playing with an early version though the later versions increase the damage of some of the Abyss weapons so it's worth giving it another go with the newer version if it's been a while.

quote:

And that tower was amazing. I never knew the Build engine could do organic environments that... icky.
Thanks - the walls moving around is a build trick that's pretty great for organic sequences. I know Blood did a flesh level but I tried to go with my own ideas for this one, it's similar to a level I did in the AMC TC's prequal game.

Morter posted:

Edit: Just tried out the AMC Team, and played as Dusty. Not a bad game at all, I like how the weapons feel...although I promptly got stuck in the area with the Envirosuit. I think I fixed all the leaks because I picked up the Universal somethingsomething plan...but my objective is to still seal all the leaks, though I can't find any...but still, fun game! :shobon:
There's only one leak to fix - once you've done that one head back around the corridoor and straight down and you'll see a door that's been unlocked. Head inside and you can find a service area with a dark red keycard and a research project.

There's no real collection of usermaps apart from checking the reviews at MSDN. The ones in the best maps list up the top are a good start if you haven't already checked them out.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 24, 2012

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If you haven't played The Wall for eduke, I'd give it a shot. It's based on the Pink Floyd movie and is fun while it lasts.

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/4468-the-wall/

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 24, 2012

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

A Pink Floyd's The Wall level made in Duke 3D?! I must play this. Does it have glorious Pink Floyd midi music? :allears:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Here is my map so far. I am play testing it and trying to sort out a texture issue. I am dumb and ended up using a hand full of textures, about 7, from doom2, plutonia, and tnt.

I'm going on a tangent here, but seeing this made me think that top-view wireframe pictures of DooM maps would look pretty cool as a sort-of-minimalist wallpaper. Anyone have this thought cross their mind?

bad4brain
Dec 28, 2010
Is someone out there still making speedruns for duke3d?
used to do coop speedruns with some friend but that was decades ago ..

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Gah, I had them on my old HD but I forgot to transfer the .wad files that were used in the PSX version of Doom. Does anyone know where I can grab them from? For Doom 1 and 2 it was 'just' new sound effects, some basic environmental redesign and music, but I recall the Final Doom maps being completely different.

I'd really like those wads again because the music is super creepy and really ~immersive~

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
You mean the Playstation Doom total conversion?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SparkTR posted:

I do indeed, thank you. :dance:

I'm starting to wonder if I was hallucinating the Final Doom PSX stuff though. I swear the starting levels were set at night time in a weird courtyard thing.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

poptart_fairy posted:

I do indeed, thank you. :dance:

I'm starting to wonder if I was hallucinating the Final Doom PSX stuff though. I swear the starting levels were set at night time in a weird courtyard thing.
PSX Final Doom certainly did exist, and a PSX TC is currently being made by somebody over on Doomworld, though it's still a work-in-progress. The PSX port of Final Doom isn't so much Final Doom though as it is "the easier half of the Master Levels mixed with the easier levels from TNT & Plutonia", but it's still fun I guess.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Congrats on releasing the update, Jblade!

I'm nearly done with the Reelism update, but real life is getting in the way as it is want to do. I hope to get it out around the start of the month, but we'll see what happens.

As for a Goon WAD, I'd love to contribute, but like I said, I'm really busy lately. :( The most I can do is compile it up nicely whenever you guys are ready to release it to the wider world.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jblade posted:

There should be enough ammo and health dotted around to survive, but if you just want to get past it with cheating than the Duke3D cheat codes still work as intended (Although for anybody playing it on the higher skill levels it blocks the ability to get skill trophies) Sorry you're having trouble with the jumps though, if I had more time I should of added alternate routes and stuff and made it less linear (making the jump ones high-risk high-reward) Keeping motivated whilst building stuff is difficult for me these days though.

It's less that I have trouble with the jumps and more that I just don't find FPS jumping puzzles fun. Especially when the platforms don't exist until you're about to land on them (although I have to say that, visually, the platforms appearing as you approach is a pretty sweet effect).

As for the ammo, possibly I'm just bad at duke3d but I keep ending each fight with perhaps 5 rounds left, which isn't a lot with a rapid-fire weapon. Then I get into the flesh tower and use up all my ammo failing to kill something that can toast me drat quick and welp.

quote:

If you're playing with an early version though the later versions increase the damage of some of the Abyss weapons so it's worth giving it another go with the newer version if it's been a while.

I'll give it another shot at some point with a newer version, yeah. If I keep having trouble with the hell level I'll just skip it with the console.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

Congrats on releasing the update, Jblade!
Much appreciated! I've been working on my own stuff so I haven't had a chance to check out reelism but from what little I played I liked it. You made Night of the homeless as well right?

ToxicFrog posted:

It's less that I have trouble with the jumps and more that I just don't find FPS jumping puzzles fun. Especially when the platforms don't exist until you're about to land on them (although I have to say that, visually, the platforms appearing as you approach is a pretty sweet effect).
There are floating candles that highlight the general area of where the bits are; that bit itself was inspired by a similar part in Undying (which was an incredible game and it blows that it didn't sell enough to get another installment)

quote:

As for the ammo, possibly I'm just bad at duke3d but I keep ending each fight with perhaps 5 rounds left, which isn't a lot with a rapid-fire weapon. Then I get into the flesh tower and use up all my ammo failing to kill something that can toast me drat quick and welp.
There's a fresh weapon up on top of the tower before you actually go inside. You can drop what gun you're holding by holding down the reload key, than you can pick it up and go inside with more ammunition (Unless you're already doing that)

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

H2Omelon posted:

Nope. I can't for the life of me remember the name of who made it though. They also made a second map called Blood of the Earth which I still have on my harddrive.

Personally I wouldn't add his map to the wad unless he agrees to it being included.

Those two maps were mine. :)

I posted them to /idgames a while back and they got reviewed in the #newstuff chronicles at Doomworld a while back. If you're going to use them, I'd say use Blood of the Earth only because that was a much better map (for being only the second one I've ever done). Fear of the Dark was apparently broken when the reviewer playtested it - apparently the starting point got mislocated somehow, but they gave Blood of the Earth a pretty good review. It's a solid little map - I'm reasonably happy with the way it turned out though it probably could have been longer. I haven't dabbled in Doom mapping for a while due to work and other things but you're welcome to use both of the maps in a goon megawad if you want, assuming they work properly.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SparkTR posted:

Thank you for linking to this! PSX Doom was my first exposure to the game, and I had forgotten just how different it really is to the source material. It's really worth playing this port for the loving amazing soundtrack alone. It's creepy!

Plus there's other cool stuff: the two games run together (59 maps), Doom 2 monsters in Doom 1, uh, I think there's some original maps too. They took out a few of the more complex maps and simplified or altered others, presumably to fit it on the disc but I have no real idea. It's just different enough to be neat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jblade posted:

Much appreciated! I've been working on my own stuff so I haven't had a chance to check out reelism but from what little I played I liked it. You made Night of the homeless as well right?
Yeah, Reelism is basically a version of NOTH that's, well, good. :v:

RyokoTK posted:

Plus there's other cool stuff: the two games run together (59 maps), Doom 2 monsters in Doom 1, uh, I think there's some original maps too. They took out a few of the more complex maps and simplified or altered others, presumably to fit it on the disc but I have no real idea. It's just different enough to be neat.
The maps weren't simplified to fit on the disc, they were simplified to avoid bogging down the framerate.

And there's a bunch of new maps done by the Midway guys, usually as secret levels. One of them was a little... weird. (Epilepsy warning!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YESSv25XPUM

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Holy poo poo PSX Doom is weird. It's like if you were dreaming about playing Doom, everything's mostly as you remember but it's not quite right. And the soundtrack is basically the same as LucasArts's The Dig.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Whoa, 50+ levels? I sort of want to try it...but I can only guess that because it's already a total conversion, that other weapon mods won't work well with it? :(

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Brutal Doom works with it, although you can't keep track of your ammo since the hud is tied to psx_ weapons. Real Guns Hardcore kinda works with it but its buggy and if you switch weapons it goes back to the psx_ weapons and youre locked out of the rgh weapons.

I played Doom on my psx a lot when I was younger and I don't remember it being anywhere near as tense as now. I also didn't notice the weird texturing changes and colored lighting back then.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So, for the AMC Team, is there a way to get ammo from those upgrade stations mid mission? Or can you not, despite it saying AMMO at the top? :(

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Did anyone play Corridor 7 back in the day? I was born in 1989 but I did play a lot of FPS PC games as a kid and remember that Corridor 7 had a giant eyeball monster that scared the poo poo out of me. I preferred DOOM, DOOM 2 and Wolfenstein 3D but still played Corridor 7 a lot.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Morter posted:

So, for the AMC Team, is there a way to get ammo from those upgrade stations mid mission? Or can you not, despite it saying AMMO at the top? :(
Sorry, that was a case of re-using art assets since there wasn't a huge amount of art space available for a while (and me not being an artist) What level are you on?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I went to check on Russian Overkill and it seems it's still being worked on. At least I still have the older version. I love playing Deus Vult with it because even though you feel invincible you still need to watch where you shoot off some weapons because the nuke special weapon is deadly as all gently caress in cramped rooms.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I decided to write a very barebones guide to using doom builder 2 and SLADE 3. Its made for people who don't know anything about it. It covers basic setup and going through the process of creating a simple room with doors, teleporters, lifts, scripting, and exits. For SLADE 3 it covers basic texture creation.

I know there are plenty of tutorials but I wanted to put everything I learned into one package. Also I couldn't find decent help on SLADE so I added that in there.

Its a 13 meg docx which I think openoffice can open. I used a TOC in word so you can jump to each section. The formatting isn't perfect and I still want to add some things. Any feedback would be nice or if you are a word guru you can pretty it up if you want. The WAD is the small map created in the tutorial.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?9z7lauhsvtr1l2u
http://www.mediafire.com/?a4f7zi4wp9e361w

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 26, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Reelism update is coming on Tuesday! Have a terrible trailer video!

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Can't WAIT. :holy:

I noticed dog mode there, was that the quake lightning gun that set the player on fire when he fell in the water??

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
:neckbeard: I should probably update my version of GZDoom, the revision I'm currently using seems to have broken the railgun.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The Kins posted:

The Reelism update is coming on Tuesday! Have a terrible trailer video!

That left me with a genuine, unironic grin on my face. Where's the music from?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

OK, so here is my first Doom map (actually, here!). As fun as map making is, I hate working on one single project as I'm so impatient and want to rush it out as quickly as possible! Hence why you're getting it now rather than Sunday night when I've had time to fine-tune it!

So yeah, I'm thinking of going over it over the weekend (or whenever I get some time) to add more detail where-ever it's needed, so any texture suggestions and tips would be great; otherwise, it's fine to play as far as I know, though I'd appreciate any notes you can offer. Although I've tried to cater to all 4 skill levels, I've only play-tested skill levels 1 and 4 to make sure it feels balanced. I'll suggest that skill level 1 feels about as difficult as Episode 1 of Doom on Hurt Me Plenty/Ultra Violence, and level 4 feels like something out of a mid-to-later Plutonia level in terms of difficulty (but that's for you all to judge!)

Anyway, have fun. :v:

edit: screenshots!

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 12, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
an_mutt: I played "Aquatic Ruin" on UV + Brutal Doom v16test3. I expected to get thoroughly stomped on my first run, but I ended up making it to the blue key spawn trap before getting murdered by a steady invasion of Cacodemons and Commandos. I ran through it a few more times and feel like it's a solid map: Not ridiculously difficult, but hard enough that even when you do know what's coming, you've still got a fair challenge.

The ammo and health pickups are just right, although I had to backtrack a little to find some extra ammo to deal with the Baron guarding a switch (the one that raises the bridge to the blue key.) After I killed him, I figured you could simply teleport in, hit the switch, and flee without killing him, so it's not even a problem.

Aesthetically, I think you might want to fix the switch overlooking the pit with water and pinkies. I'm not sure if it's deliberate, but it's paper-thin. Otherwise, the map resonates as a "Doom" map: a little discombobulated, but with a coherent central theme (water!) and some nice aesthetic touches. The semi-demolished buildings are an especially nice touch for some reason.

SPACE HOMOS: I tried downloading your mod, "Waste", several times, but every time I try to load it, it simply pushes me to Doom 2 E1M1. Is anybody else having this problem?

John Carstairs: Like "Aquatic Ruin", I played your map on UV + Brutal Doom v16test3. Overall I think you should crank the difficulty up a little bit more. I wasn't using BD's instakill fatalities or human shields, but pretty much blasted through the map non-stop without any issues on my first shot. Maybe scale back the medkits or add a couple more "medium" enemies (like Hellknights) to the map.

That being said, the map is aesthetically very pleasing. I especially like the secret red key. Because you opted to make a more "realistic" setting, the flow of the map suffered a little (open door, run, stop, open door) but I personally don't have a huge issue with that. I just know some people will.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Updated GOONWAD list:

Cream-of-Plenty - "Suicides" + "Abattoir Blues" (almost done fixing, will rehost)
Sanzuo - "Starship"
Encryptic - "Blood of the Earth"
an_mutt - "Aquatic Ruin"
SPACE HOMOS - "Waste" (needs to be fixed?)
Jimmy Boag
Chinese Tony Danza
John Carstairs - "TeleLab 01"
Reive
Dukka
Ayin

MAYBES:
Savage Messiah

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

SPACE HOMOS: I tried downloading your mod, "Waste", several times, but every time I try to load it, it simply pushes me to Doom 2 E1M1. Is anybody else having this problem?
He named it waste rather than e1m1 or map01. Just use the console and 'map waste' to load it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dukka posted:

He named it waste rather than e1m1 or map01. Just use the console and 'map waste' to load it.

Ah he made the same mistake I did, thanks.

SPACE HOMOS, I gave your map a run but got stuck. I need either a red key or a blue key, but neither seem to be anywhere in sight. Is that because this is a WIP?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 27, 2012

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The the latest version of my WAD is the one on mediafire that I linked. There is one thing I'd like to try and resolve which is teleportgroup function seems to ignore z-height of monsters teleported. Also, my map mostly used Doom 1 textures (from ultimate doom's wad). If I need to move it over to Doom 2, let me know - I'll also rename it to whatever it needs to be.

Was thinking about working on another map too.

No, its finished. The map funnels you into area to area - you may be missing that there is a lift (light flickers slightly in that sector) to a switch (platform with monsters).

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 27, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

SPACE HOMOS posted:

The the latest version of my WAD is the one on mediafire that I linked. There is one thing I'd like to try and resolve which is teleportgroup function seems to ignore z-height of monsters teleported. Also, my map mostly used Doom 1 textures (from ultimate doom's wad). If I need to move it over to Doom 2, let me know - I'll also rename it to whatever it needs to be.

For the time being, I guess we need to keep our maps named "Map 01" or whatever is default in Doom Builder 2. I made the same mistake as you and renaming your map effectively forces people to console their way to it, which can be annoying...sort of wish Doom Builder 2 made that more obvious.

Beyond the inability to find any keys, I didn't notice any problems with the level while running it in Skulltag with only Doom 2 installed.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Sorry for starting this whole thing up and then going silent. Its a mix of legal things and mapping all day at work then coming home and mapping again, I'm not going to be able to contribute a level to the goon wad. I wish you guys luck on this, those maps look pretty good.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Shockingly, I actually have some decent ideas and a few rooms mapped out. This might turn into a finished map, but don't hold your breath. I never finish projects like this.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Sorry for starting this whole thing up and then going silent. Its a mix of legal things and mapping all day at work then coming home and mapping again, I'm not going to be able to contribute a level to the goon wad. I wish you guys luck on this, those maps look pretty good.

Most agreements like this only pertain to skills learned while on the job.

So the answer is get really really drunk (or really really sober) until you can't remember anything about mapping, then you should be golden! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Most agreements like this only pertain to skills learned while on the job.

So the answer is get really really drunk (or really really sober) until you can't remember anything about mapping, then you should be golden! :haw:

I tried drunk mapping a few years ago. That map didn't get very far.