Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Mazinger can only lead to awesome.

Omnicrom posted:

In addition for those who are alarmed about Dai-Guards armor don't be, when it joins the armor starts at around 1200, low for mecha that isn't fast and is going to be taking hits but much better than the zinc armor. Oh yeah, apparently the armor you see on Dai-Guard in this episode is Zinc, which is brittle and therefore not likely to stand up to being smacked by a robot. Dai-Guard is a glass cannon of a unit, it's slow, can't take hits well, and has low movement.
A bit like early game G-Gundam units in J? Those were a pain in the butt to keep alive at first(esp with how hard their antagonist bosses hit), but towards the end became serious asskickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
I only say roll with Celestial Being because it gets you the one robot who dares approach Mazinger Z's ridiculous awesome as early as possible.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Tobias Grant posted:

The thing about Dai-Guard is that later on, (gameplay spoiler) almost every one of its attacks will pierce barriers, which is a loving godsend against the DAMON. Give Akagi B-save and he'll be Knot Punishing dudes all day erryday

Yeah , that's pretty much how I've got it set up. On average he's gonna be putting out the same amount of damage as just about everything else, it's just that the higher end robots will be putting out way higher numbers with their best attacks.

I'm in no way saying Daiguard is a bad unit. I just like seeing ridiculously high damage counts.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Shaezerus posted:

I only say roll with Celestial Being because it gets you the one robot who dares approach Mazinger Z's ridiculous awesome as early as possible.

I was about to say the same thing, but it requires going through a bunch of boring crap before IT finally shows up.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Shaezerus posted:

Having never played this, I have no idea what robot is being referred to, but you can't go wrong with any of the possibilities that come to mind, so I'll go with Celestial Being as well.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 26, 2012

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Blhue posted:

Having never played this, I have no idea what robot is being referred to

I have no actual idea what it is having also never played, but I also know deep down what there's only one possible thing being talked about here and it is glorious, so yeah voting for Celestial Being.

Isn't all of this voting pointless anyway given how the next updates are going to cover what happens if you take the other route at the previous split point.

divide by zero
Jun 5, 2007
how do I lurked moar.
Let's hang with the Celestial Being.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This game has the cool half of Gundam 00 so let's go with Celestial Being.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Shin Mazinger is awesome and all, but the superior route here is definitely Celestial Being.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

veekie posted:

Mazinger can only lead to awesome.

A bit like early game G-Gundam units in J? Those were a pain in the butt to keep alive at first(esp with how hard their antagonist bosses hit), but towards the end became serious asskickers.

That's a good explanation, of course one of the reasons the G Gundam crew was such a pain to keep alive in J was because the game fucks you. By default they fly but they have only a B Rank in air, so they actually take a pretty substantial penalty to hit, defense, and evasion when they fly. If you land them suddenly they're much less likely to keel over from being shot by Death Army dudes or what have you.

Oni-Lord
Dec 12, 2011
As much as I would like to see some Gundams flying around, I'm going to vote for staying in Japan in hopes that my favorite red robot shows up

Heres a hint. It ain't Gurren Lagann.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
This is probably the wrong Japan for that, but I'm still voting for more Mazinger. MAZIN GO!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

If you land them suddenly they're much less likely to keel over from being shot by Death Army dudes or what have you.

I think that's more because landing them ensures they won't encounter the enemy until you've already mopped up anything that could pose a threat with units that don't suck.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

vilkacis posted:

I think that's more because landing them ensures they won't encounter the enemy until you've already mopped up anything that could pose a threat with units that don't suck.

That might work if the most efficient way to clear maps in J wasn't to stand still and let the enemy army come to you, because if you move over to them the wave spawning at the opposite end of the map (and you know there is one) will take twice as long to get to.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Pureauthor posted:

That might work if the most efficient way to clear maps in J wasn't to stand still and let the enemy army come to you, because if you move over to them the wave spawning at the opposite end of the map (and you know there is one) will take twice as long to get to.

Alternately, moving to meet the enemy means you meet in the middle of the goddamn ocean instead of staying put on your nice little island.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

...but if you sit around waiting for the first wave, you'll have to wait twice as long to engage them instead (and probably more, given enemies tend to have worse movement rates than units with accel or +movement parts).

Plus, even if that means a couple of rounds of downtime between waves, it gives you time to repair and resupply, so it's still not a complete loss.

CaptainRat posted:

Alternately, moving to meet the enemy means you meet in the middle of the goddamn ocean instead of staying put on your nice little island.

I don't see the problem. I mean, sure, the water levels in OG where all you have is a bunch of Gespensts with bad waterproofing were definitely a low point, but in J, you get enough units that can either fly or swim that it doesn't really matter if there's water or not.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

vilkacis posted:

I don't see the problem. I mean, sure, the water levels in OG where all you have is a bunch of Gespensts with bad waterproofing were definitely a low point, but in J, you get enough units that can either fly or swim that it doesn't really matter if there's water or not.

It's a problem if we're talking about the G Gundam units, which are equally bad in the air or the water.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SRWJ gives you like fifteen items for S-Rank water adaptability, so.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^^^

I'm up to chapter 49 on my current run and I have three of those.

CaptainRat posted:

It's a problem if we're talking about the G Gundam units, which are equally bad in the air or the water.

The G Gundams are pretty bad, is what I'm getting at.

Don't get me wrong, I often use characters simply because I like them even if they're mechanically inferior to others. If you like them enough that you feel it's worth working around their issues, I understand that perfectly, but they still have issues that make them generally less effective than a pretty good chunk of your squad.

chibi
Feb 11, 2004

That's the one blessing of SRW games fairly low difficulty. You can make your roster entirely based on which robots you like and it's never really a problem.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

chibi posted:

That's the one blessing of SRW games fairly low difficulty. You can make your roster entirely based on which robots you like and it's never really a problem.

Honestly, I couldn't imagine playing the games any other way.

Susurrus
Sep 8, 2011
Howdy, just chiming in to say that I love the LP and I'm playing along with you (but I'm much farther than you).

Small question though: I just found something in the menus (I have no idea what it means, but it's the most lower left option in the intermission menu) and you can put people into squares and suddenly I have much more money: What is that?

Also, I watched Daiguard on the recommendation of the thread and it really is pretty good. I liked that they actually considered how the military would deal with private enterprise doing the army's job. However, is it just me or did they run into budget issues near the end? I realize it was made in 1999, but there were some really bad off-models near ep 20 or so.

Once more, good job and I can't wait for more!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
On the subject of taking all the robots, I wish Z2 had squads. I still end up picking robots I either liked before the game or came to like during, but the squads let me take all the sidekicks and support robots and not feel bad about it. In fact, some of the teams you can put together are more fun (since we're already being a sucker for thematics) than just "toss out all of the Gurren Army because, seriously, whatevs."

Lightning edit:

quote:

Howdy, just chiming in to say that I love the LP and I'm playing along with you (but I'm much farther than you).

Technically no, this is my play #3, and I've already completed the entire scenario chart, passed it, and almost completed Restoration.

quote:

Small question though: I just found something in the menus (I have no idea what it means, but it's the most lower left option in the intermission menu) and you can put people into squares and suddenly I have much more money: What is that?

Mechanical spoiler! (I dunno if this is a spoiler but I'll be safe) You send out pilots that didn't participate in the last mission, and they get (in order): 20 pilot points, 2 kills, 500 G per level, or exactly one level's worth of XP depending on which category you put them in. I was going to explain that when I got there, which is after, um, all the paths first come together so that's in quite a long time.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 26, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Susurrus posted:

Caphi explained it, but here's a little sheet of what does what.

chibi
Feb 11, 2004

Caphi posted:

On the subject of taking all the robots, I wish Z2 had squads. I still end up picking robots I either liked before the game or came to like during, but the squads let me take all the sidekicks and support robots and not feel bad about it. In fact, some of the teams you can put together are more fun (since we're already being a sucker for thematics) than just "toss out all of the Gurren Army because, seriously, whatevs."

Yeah, I really wish it had something like that or a smaller roster. Even near the end when you're fielding 30 guys on a map, you're still leaving a huge number of guys inactive.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

vilkacis posted:

...but if you sit around waiting for the first wave, you'll have to wait twice as long to engage them instead (and probably more, given enemies tend to have worse movement rates than units with accel or +movement parts).

Plus, even if that means a couple of rounds of downtime between waves, it gives you time to repair and resupply, so it's still not a complete loss.
Actually, I noticed if time is not an issue, letting them come to you just means they're nicely clumped up for your waiting Combo attacks. Probably not MAPs though(those are for the second wave on).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Honestly, I couldn't imagine playing the games any other way.

I'm sure that is in fact the main reason WHY the games are as easy as they are. The developers know we just want to watch our ultimate Anime Mecha free-for-all and they provide just enough difficulty to keep the action flowing and then just put their feet up. Why would they do any different?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm not updating because I plan to Accel my update schedule or anything. I just feel a little bad for disappearing into Restoration, and more importantly, there is some very nice stuff coming up in the three-way split and I want to get into it.

So just to be clear, we are back to a branch in time where Crowe chooses to follow Celestial Being instead of going to Japan.

Crowe smells money on those guys, and he usually follows his gut. Once again, Traia wishes him the worst.

Once again, Dr. Hell plots with Baron Ashura.

Once again, Crowe's debt has shrunk by a depressing amount.

This time, we find Crowe flying over Africa.

Seems like everyone is having trouble even catching Celestial Being's scent, thanks to their reactors' emissions scrambling radar. So rather than trying to track them, Traia is using Crowe and his Axion transport (they're a weapons company!) as bait. Between that and the ongoing conflict in the region, Celestial Being is bound to show itself.

She also lets Crowe know what Zechs and Treize already did - the reaper machine is also a Gundam, made in the Colonies of Gundamium Alloy. Most likely it's the Colonies' weapon against the oppressive CMC (what does that stand for?), a collaboration between the three superpowers. The conflict recently erupted when Heero Yui, a leader and supporter of nonviolent resistance, was assassinated, sending the Colonies up in arms and in turn letting the CMC justify the use of armed force.

Around that time, an alarm goes off in the shuttle...

Approaching machine? Looks like someone's already taken the bait.
I thought you were joking.
I believe in you and the Blaster with all my heart.
Save the puppy eyes. I make it a habit not to trust ladies. Especially pretty ones.
I'm flattered. You win this round. So what's going on over there?

What's going on is an AEU squadron. That's all right, Axion got Crowe off the hook...

Maybe not! Crowe's being fired upon! To Traia, that can only mean one thing. The AEU squadron isn't just any old squadron, but the spec team OZ!

Chapter 3: The Meteor That Started A War
(Celestial Being route)

His transport destroyed (this seems familiar...), it's just Crowe and his robot now.

OZ is a special squadron outside the AEU's main forces, and it's backed by the Romfeller group, which is out for Axion's throat. The OZ team has some Armored Troopers mixed in with it and it wants to take in the new Axion mech.

Usual drill. Beat up all the enemies, and do it in 3 turns for the SR point.

ATs are small. This means they're hard to hit and easy to get hit by. This is pre-Focus though, and Blaster's fairly upgraded.

ATs... Armored Troopers, the Astragius' mobile weapons. They're pretty basic, but pretty dangerous.
I'm guessing you guys are on the Union's payroll. That means we're in the same boat, so no hard feelings.

They're small and scrappy, but they're also fragile. Focus and Strike are the way to deal with them.

On the other hand, their rockets have quite some range.

Small, annoyingly fast enemies aren't new to SRW. In this game, they're somewhat associated with VOTOMS, which supplies not only ATs but also choppers and ground tanks.

Once the second enemy goes down, Leos show up.

In the head mech is the Lightning Baron, Zechs, and Crowe guesses that right away from the machine's movements. Zechs wants to try his skills against the Blaster.

But first, a jet-like machine drops out of the sky and transforms into a mobile suit.

The late Heero Yuy is at the controls and he's here to destroy some AEU machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oARW6B1QN7E
Apparently, Heero's pacifism? Not so much!

Seriously I think he's broken.

Zechs panics and orders his troops to regroup and destroy both the Axion machine and the Gundam.

Crowe takes out one enemy...

Then another...

Then the entire enemy squad, except for one Leo which didn't feel like attacking (it was out of range and refused to move).

Zechs vs. Heero. Didn't have time to Focus, and Zechs is fairly fast.

Colony Gundam! Your mission and your life end here!
You're too slow. I can dodge with room to spare.
What?!
Target sighted. Proceeding to destroy.

Heero talks pretty big, doesn't he? (This isn't entirely a bad thing, actually, as you'll see in a bit.)

But he hit, at least.

Suddenly, the Briannian Union shows up! I love how these early stages are just one big circus of enemy squads flying all over the place. Incidentally, the Britannian Union shares small, scrappy grunt mecha with the Astragius mercenaries - the Knightmare Frames from Code Geass are also Small sized and exclusive to the Union.

Graham Eaker is here to try and take the zone, and a new Gundam is just icing on the cake.

Before Britannia can move, though, the entire area - AEU, Britannia, Crowe, and Heero - is rained on by weapons fire!

Guess who! All four Celestial Being Gundams are here to play. For now, they're willing to overlook both the Colony Gundam and the Blaster - the AEU and Britannia are the real villains around here.

Setsuna is off in his own little world. He declares himself Gundam and dashes off into the middle of the map!

Tieria and Allelujah, for their part, peel off towards the (almost eliminated!) AEU block, leaving Lockon to watch Setsuna...

as his Haro teases him.

Both Zechs and Graham order their respective forces to focus on the Gundams. Poor Crowe laments being caught in the chaos.

And it's still the enemy phase of turn 1! Britannia moves to engage Setsuna and Lockon.

Setsuna's Counter triggers, giving him the first strike.

He takes it out with a critical, completely avoiding a counterattack.

Then does it again. Go Setsuna.

But it looks like he'll have less luck against Graham.

It's such an honor to meet you, Gundam.
Who are you?
I'm Graham Eaker, and you've stolen away my heart.
Huh?
How lovely that we should meet again so soon. As a Virgo, I can't help but think this is destiny...
I'll take a piece of you as a gift!
Don't touch me!

Oh, Graham.

"Sometimes rejection only inflames one's passion!"

Oh, Graham...

And then it's my turn again, so I can finally drop some Gundam info. For gently caress's sake.

Wing Gundam/Wing Gundam (Bird Mode) (Heero Yuy)
Skills
Prevail L7
Hit & Away
Block
Spirits
Accel
Traits
Transform
(Gundam)
Blade
Shield
(Bird)
-
Ace Bonus: Evasion +20%. Movement +1.

Oh wait, he doesn't have Focus yet. Crap.

Even more so than Kyrios, Wing Gundam's Bird Mode is strictly for zipping around. It's very fast, but its only weapon is a non-(P) quasi-sniping implement. Wing Gundam's normal form is a reasonable general Gundam type unit that can engage in up close combat with its beam saber and machine gun, but would really rather bombard you with its energy-sucking Buster Rifle.

Its big draw is the Buster Rifle MAP version, which blasts all enemies in a line on the board with no chance of counterattack. It doesn't even drain any energy itself, drawing on its own private pool of 3 bursts per refill, which is actually pretty good for a MAP attack. Of course, it deals friendly fire in its path too, so a little planning is quite useful.

Since he's damaged, this is also a reasonable place to point out a couple of interface things.

On the main screen, a flashing message has popped up indicating that a pilot Skill is activated.

On the pilot screen, we can see that the Skill in question is Prevail. All Skills that can be activated and are, on any given pilot, will be flashing green. Hit & Away won't flash because it's always on, and Block won't flash because it triggers and is done, but Prevail flashes because it turns on below a certain HP level. The other type of skill that "turns on" like that are skills that trigger above specific Will levels - but those haven't shown up quite yet.

Also, Zechs has a Propellant Tank. Reminder: it restores a single unit's energy pool.

Graham has a Vernier Unit, which has a very simple effect: it increases the equipped unit's movement rate by one square.

First, let's take out this straggler.

Now that Crowe has singlehandedly taken out the entire AEU squad, he, Tieria, and Allelujah are free to move into Britannia, in case it does any good. But first, let's consider Heero.

His accuracy has gone up a bit from his Prevail skill since Zechs damaged him, but it's still not good enough to reliably take out the Lightning Baron. And he doesn't have Focus, Strike, Sense, or anything else to augment it.

But wait!

Tieria, ever the responsible leader, has the Attune Spirit command, which has the same effect as Strike, but on any allied unit. Heero is begging for it.

Like magic, Heero has the complete effect of Strike for the turn, complete with the Strike kanji lit up.

Since he'll be able to move after he shoots, I'll cast Accel too. It'll help him get closer to Graham's squad.

Zechs Counters.

But Heero wins.

Grr... his machine is so much better, I can't make it up with skill alone.
Retreating for now!

Heero moves and gains almost one level, plus the Tank.

Kyrios is fast!

Virtue is slow.

Snipers can frequently hit targets so far away that the enemy unit has no weapon that can counterattack.

Now that we're in, there's no turning back. I'll snipe down whatever target it takes!

Naturally, he criticals and blows the tiny Glasgow up. (I actually just like this cutin.)

After Focusing, Setsuna has much better odds against Graham... except that the Union Flags with him have Defensive Support. They'll step in, take damage as if they were defending, and it'll be a huge waste.

On the other hand, Graham himself doesn't have Support, so the minion Flags are fair game. Besides, spreading damage around is good.

Well, can't crit on every attack. Unless you're Lockon.

A fair end to the turn.

As it turns out, the follower Flags don't just have Defensive Support, but Offensive Support too. The good news is Offensive Support doesn't trigger if the Glasgow gets shot down first.

Anyway, the minions die. From here, finishing off the last Flag and Graham should be a simple matter.

"Gundam! Let me show you how much I love you!"

"I understand just how you feel, Gundam!"

Graham...

You bet those are missles coming out of Dynames' pelvis.

Having taken out the mission's official boss, Setsuna gains a level and learns Strike as well as looting the Vernier.

Strange particle emissions and high-power beam weaponry... it's all so mysterious.
Gundam, our fight is just beginning! Next time is going to be so much fun!

Point and match.

The AEU and Britannian forces gone, Celestial Being turns its attention to the Colony and Axion machines. Tieria demands Heero get down from his machine, Instead, Heero transforms his Gundam and flies off, leaving all present in awe of its speed.

Celestial Being having lost Wing Gundam, there's only one thing left on the shopping list...

Tieria gives instructions to capture the Blaster. Veda wants to know more about the machine's many mysteries. Crowe can't compete with four Gundams - he can't even compete with Lockon's lightning trigger finger. Looks like we're stuck with Celestial Being.

This girl is named Wang Liu-Min, and hell if I know how to arrange that, anyway she's a Chinese celebrity as well as a Celestial Being agent. She brings the lowdown on the reaction to Celestial Being's plot: the world governments are serious, and they're planning to take action. Just as planned for Celestial Being.

She also has new orders for them. Britannia is retreating from the hot zone, so if they can take out the AEU, it'll put a halt to the conflict in the region. As for why they'd pull out all of a sudden, well, their frontline base has been trashed - by two more Colony Gundams. Put all the reports together and there are a total of five such Gundams confirmed.

At any rate, Sumeragi and Veda are still piecing together the battle plan, since Dancouga (remember Dancouga?) is throwing a monkey wrench into the regional stiuation. An explanation of Dancouga follows, but you don't need it.

Afterwards, Liu-Min tells the Meisters to let her know if they need anything, and Lockon makes a little joke - three coffees, and a milk for Setsuna. Setsuna stomps off, leaving his partners to wonder how they got stuck with such a rash little kid.

Then we cut to Graham at the destroyed Britannian outpost. Billy fills him in on the two Gundams that did the job - one armored close combat type, and one heavy firepower type. Still, just two machines did a number on an entire base, so...

Graham also brings up Setsuna's immaturity yet again, claiming he can tell the Gundam's pilot was a child from the emotion that showed through in the machine's movements.

The conversation turns to the orders to pull out. Graham's heard that the Emperor Charles Zi Britannia wasn't too keen on this area in the first place, anyway, though Billy thought he wanted to unify the whole world. They muse, but ultimately, Graham concludes that as frontline soldiers, it's not in their ability or place to question orders. Speaking of which, and both of them have been transferred into the Gundam Investigation Team, a new group under Professor Ralph(?) Eifman.

Graham is totally pumped up to be up against such powerful foes, both Celestial Being and the Colonies. Looks like we'll be seeing a lot of him from now on.

Chapter's over. Come back later for more Gundams, Gundams everywhere.

Speaking of Gundams, in this branch we can upgrade and train the four Gundam Meisters. Lockon, obviously, is required to learn Hit & Away. Seriously, who was responsible for that?

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
If you want a hard SRW game, play one of the Original Generation games.

If you want a hard SRW game and hate yourself, play an old one. Anything pre-Alpha, A, R, and Impact all fit this bill nicely.

EDIT: Oh hey, Update. Also Gundams! Too bad Wing Gundam isn't even the second-best one from its series, mainly because its P-attacks kinda suck. It's the hardest hitter of them all, but really, that's nothing to shout about with the Wing machines. They are, as a whole, generally weaker than the CB Gundams.

Granted, there's still worse choices you could make, unit-wise.

Gulping Again fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 27, 2012

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Wing is sadly a pretty mediocre machine in Hakai-hen.

Wing Zero makes up for it in spades. And then some.

Also it's Wang Liu Mei, not Min.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Those poor OZ pilots. "It's a Gundam" indeed.

That's one of the many things I love about this game, the Leos explode easy and they explode good. It's always satisfying to destroy them, especially with non Gundam Wing units.

I also really like the "taking damage" animations in this game. They're all pretty great but I think a particular red mech's stands out as being the best.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 27, 2012

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pureauthor posted:

Also it's Wang Liu Mei, not Min.

Are you sure? I went and checked wikis and poo poo and they all said ワン・リューミン.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

She's Chinese. The characters is the same but the pronounciations can differ.

It's why everyone calls him 'Chang Wufei' and not 'Chang Gotobu'.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pureauthor posted:

She's Chinese. The characters is the same but the pronounciations can differ.

It's why everyone calls him 'Chang Wufei' and not 'Chang Gotobu'.

No I mean, things about Gundam 00 specifically say that is the reading of this character's name specifically. I am very confused.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

NotALizardman posted:

particular red mech

I'm not sure I like what it says about me that my mind just starts playing "Here Comes Char" at this phrase.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Caphi posted:

No I mean, things about Gundam 00 specifically say that is the reading of this character's name specifically. I am very confused.

Her name is written with mandarin characters because she's Chinese. Japanese kanji shares a lot of these characters with the mandarin alphabet, but the pronounciation differs. When you read it being 'Wan Ryumin' you're reading how those same characters would be pronounced if they were Japanese kanji. But her name is Wang Liu Mei because she's Chinese, and she was given a Chinese name in characters that can also be found in the Japanese language.

Here, have a look at the wiki page: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Wang_Liu_Mei

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pureauthor posted:

Her name is written with mandarin characters because she's Chinese. Japanese kanji shares a lot of these characters with the mandarin alphabet, but the pronounciation differs. When you read it being 'Wan Ryumin' you're reading how those same characters would be pronounced if they were Japanese kanji. But her name is Wang Liu Mei because she's Chinese, and she was given a Chinese name in characters that can also be found in the Japanese language.

Here, have a look at the wiki page: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Wang_Liu_Mei

You don't know what you're talking about. If I were trying to read her name in kanji, I would be reading it Oh Rumi. Wan Ryuumin is what, among other things, a Japanese Gundam Wiki, ja.wikipedia.org, the character entry in both halves of Super Robot Wars Z2, and the very wiki you just linked write in the explicit context of "This character's name is read/pronounced ____" for the benefit of Japanese people that don't know how to read those Chinese characters.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Okay then, I'm apparently completely wrong on the pronounciation and need to go back to studying Chinese properly, but it's still written 'Wang Liu Mei' in english.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Man, I loved how they start Zechs off in his custom Leo when a lot of other games would have him in either a normal Leo or the Tallgeese.

It's just one of the multitude of little things which makes me love this game so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Pureauthor posted:

Okay then, I'm apparently completely wrong on the pronounciation and need to go back to studying Chinese properly, but it's still written 'Wang Liu Mei' in english.

Try Cantonese, it should be pronounced similar to that(though you probably won't be using 'Wang' rather than 'Wong' in that case).

• Locked thread