Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Give me a controller any day. That poo poo made me want to throw the wii mote into the TV. I just kind of loathe the wii mote in general though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So this was back from March 22nd, but I was just linked this: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/5709/article/milla-jovovich-wants-to-appear-in-a-resident-evil-game/

quote:

"They use his set pieces from the movies in the games but for some reason, they don’t want to put my character, Alice, in the game," said the actress.

What set pieces?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Revitalized posted:

What set pieces?

The laser corridor from the first movie is in RE4 and Umbrella Chronicles. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

quote:

Late last year, director Paul. W.S. Anderson explained his success of the Resident Evil film series to his cast and crew's understanding and passion for the games.

Hahaha. Seriously?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alice is a mary sue and everyone hates her, that's probably why they don't want to put her in the game.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Hahaha. Seriously?

Wow. As someone who actually enjoys the movies (except for Afterlife; dear lord, what a piece of poo poo), that's not why I like them. Poor guy's delusional.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Ahh go on, put Milla Jovovich in a RE game. What could she do, ruin the story?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

to be honest, I'm not surprised people didn't think it was Ada immediately in that new trailer. It didn't sound like Sally Cahill, and she's been doing Ada for every game Ada's featured in. At the same time, I think the girl with Leon had more lines than Ada did so it was easy to get confused and imdb doesn't have any info posted yet on Ada's VA so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Incidentally, if they do finally tie up all the loose ends for the series, if that means we learn that Rebecca got zombified in Raccoon City, that is more than enough closure for me but come on, loving Sherry is doing "security duty" :argh:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Leyburn posted:

I don't think you understand just how unforgivably boring the last two Resident Evil movies were and how terrible Alice is.

Anderson somehow found a way to take the concept of zombies, a clone army, and two super not-zombies and made them boring. He made Wesker boring.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think he was the one who gave Wesker the sunglasses throw move, which was so funny and cool that I'm still mad Capcom didn't use it for Marvel 3.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

I think he was the one who gave Wesker the sunglasses throw move, which was so funny and cool that I'm still mad Capcom didn't use it for Marvel 3.

Wesker did that in RE5.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Alteisen posted:

Wesker did that in RE5.

Well poo poo. So uhhhh anyone else got any other ideas? The guy must have accomplished something.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Yeah, Anderson had nothing to do with that incredible aspect of Wesker's character unless he was a creative director/producer on RE5. RE5 was shipped before Afterlife began filming.

I agree that they should've used that in MvC because it was the best thing. Alas.

e: The laser part in RE4 was pretty cool but that's pretty much all Anderson contributed to the game series.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'd like to say I hate the RE movies, but I've seen them all and will watch them if they're on tv or something. I'd like to rewatch the first one at least.

They really aren't any dumber than the games, and I'm a casual fan of those too.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Afterlife copied a whole sequence from RE5. Turned the cinematic battle of Chris/Sheva versus Wesker into a movie Chris/Claire versus Wesker. Except the movie version looked a bit cheesy and forced.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I don't consider the movies real Resident Evil because Chris has yet to punch a bolder.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Schlegel Mach posted:

e: The laser part in RE4 was pretty cool but that's pretty much all Anderson contributed to the game series.

I thought the laser scene from the movie was really cool (and having only played RE4 recently I thought the movie had taken it from the game not the other way around) but the in game laser bit was super short.

I remember reading that nonsense from Paul. W.S. Anderson about being a fan of the game before but really it seems like he had only heard of Resident Evil in the first few movies then gave in and played RE5 for the last movie to try and get some ideas. This would probably be because he had no idea where to take the fourth movie after the stupid ending of the third movie really leaving him nowhere to go. I will spoil it but you really shouldn't watch it and they retcon it in the next movie anyway.

Alice finds millions of super powered Alice but also the world has been destroyed by the t virus so welp all over I guess

I enjoyed the first and last Resident evil movies with the ones in-between being trash. You really can't have your main character be super powered in a Resident Evil movie and call it a Resident Evil movie. They come across as a zombie monster movie he created then tried to find ways to turn into Resident Evil to milk the fanbase.

For example he set RE1 in a mansion with zombies and lickers and that's it. RE2 can have Jill and be set in Raccoon City and have a love story Nemesis. The third movie can then be completely unrelated before finally the fourth movie can finally introduce the main villain of the series Wesker and the main protagonist of the game Chris Redfield (Don't worry he does nothing and is little more than a background character)

Wiki tells me that George A. Romero originally created a script starring Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine and featuring Barry Burton, Rebecca Chambers, Ada Wong and Albert Wesker for the first Resident Evil movie that was rejected so I guess gently caress you Hollywood.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SolidRed posted:

Wiki tells me that George A. Romero originally created a script starring Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine and featuring Barry Burton, Rebecca Chambers, Ada Wong and Albert Wesker for the first Resident Evil movie that was rejected so I guess gently caress you Hollywood.

Yeah, he did. It's been on the Internet for years.

There's been this weird conviction in the RE fan community for years that Chris and Claire are half Indian, and I figure it's got something to do with this script.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
So the PC version of Operation Raccoon City unlocked about five hours ago, but like all Capcom games it is subject to inexplicably stupid decisions, including not allowing it to pre-load off Steam, so what this really means is it unlocked about an hour ago. Unable to find anyone on matchmaking, I've been playing the co-op game with bots to get a taste of it.

If you've watched the trailers you know the graphics look really nice. There was some FPS pitting at first but it almost completely went away after I turned off anti-aliasing, which hasn't made any noticeable difference visually.

Given the concept of the game (In case you haven't been paying any attention to it, you play as Umbrella paramilitary operatives cleaning up after Raccoon City), character design is obviously important, and I think they nailed it. I like all of the characters, and legitimately had a hard time picking one. They're all really cheesy (Former Russian spy, sadistic medic, nietzsche-wannabe scientist, recon guy that does kung-fu, etc), but it's Resident Evil, so that's a given. They also don't really make any sense (Why do you really need a "medic" when that really just means designated first-aid spray sprayer? Why do you need a "recon expert" when that just means having a gadget that turns you invisible?) but, again, Resident Evil.

This is, without a doubt, a straight-up shooter. The shooting mechanics are intuitive compared to the last two games and there is an equally friendly cover system. Movement key towards cover sticks you, away moves you away. The walls don't grab you and hold you hostage when you come near them, nor does your character ever spaz out and stand up in the middle of a firefight. I'm glad to see it only took the gaming industry six or seven years to get this down.

There are quick-time events and they are still cumbersome and annoying. The icons aren't really very clear (What is the c key with a crescent-shaped arrow over it? Am I supposed to be pressing the c key while waving my mouse? I don't know.) and when you fail one it's never exactly clear why. I hate them and they should go away, but they're not exactly a big part of the game (Press x to take less damage, instead of press x to not die.) so whatever, I can mostly ignore them.

I don't know if I can really recommend buying it full price yet, without legit playing co-op and trying the multiplayer modes, but if you were interested in it before, know that I like what I've seen so far. It is a fun co-op shooter based on Resident Evil.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Revitalized posted:

So this was back from March 22nd, but I was just linked this: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/5709/article/milla-jovovich-wants-to-appear-in-a-resident-evil-game/

What set pieces?

The Red Queen also exists in Umbrella Chronicles. Although it's not a homicidal little British girl, it is still an AI and obviously inspired by Anderson.

I realize they didn't include it in the game because it be impossible to dodge but I wish the RE4 lasers had turned into the grid that killed the black guy. That was actually an effective defense.

Leyburn posted:

I like Milla. She seems like a cool person and I wouldn't mind her in the games. She could even bring in a lot of people since she's definitely the biggest star they could get.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Well it looks like ORC is broken! Like, impossibly impeding game progress broken. I've reached a cutscene with a QTE that freezes a few seconds in. The cutscene progresses, you can hear things happening, but the screen freezes, and then a few seconds later I hear the death screen. I'm not even able to retry because the screen remains frozen. I'm forced to quit to the menu.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

thehumandignity posted:

I don't know if I can really recommend buying it full price yet, without legit playing co-op and trying the multiplayer modes, but if you were interested in it before, know that I like what I've seen so far. It is a fun co-op shooter based on Resident Evil.

Well, this is a good sign; I was wondering if I should get it the moment it goes on sale. That said:

thehumandignity posted:

Well it looks like ORC is broken! Like, impossibly impeding game progress broken. I've reached a cutscene with a QTE that freezes a few seconds in. The cutscene progresses, you can hear things happening, but the screen freezes, and then a few seconds later I hear the death screen. I'm not even able to retry because the screen remains frozen. I'm forced to quit to the menu.

What's an ORC?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Operation Raccoon City.

Buggy as all gently caress TPS shooter that Capcom refuses to fix despite it selling well.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's seriously irritating since it's almost decent but has some obvious problems that fixing would help it out a lot but I guess they don't give a poo poo... You'd think they'd want to encourage confidence since they are selling half the game as DLC.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 19, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well drat, that sucks; I really looked forward to going all Left 4 Dead on Raccoon City :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

It's seriously irritating since it's almost decent but has some obvious problems that fixing would help it out a lot but I guess they don't give a poo poo... You'd think they'd want to encourage confidence since they are selling half the game as DLC.

Ha, the new Capcom seems to be about nickel and diming their consumers as much as possible, just look at the disaster that SFxTekken is, half the roster is on the disk and you can't play it and that game to has tons of bugs and issues.

Honestly their DLC thing bothers me but its the bugs that annoy me the most, the thread on Capcom unity is like 40 pages long, there's no excuse for this.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I think the idea for on-disc DLC was that so people who haven't bought the downloadable characters could still play with people who are using them, without having to download large mandatory patches every time a new character comes out, or fragmenting the user base.

Resident Evil 5's versus mode was just awful, because there was no reason for it to be blocked off in the first place, when it's already there on the disc.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That loving Sned posted:

I think the idea for on-disc DLC was that so people who haven't bought the downloadable characters could still play with people who are using them, without having to download large mandatory patches every time a new character comes out, or fragmenting the user base.

Resident Evil 5's versus mode was just awful, because there was no reason for it to be blocked off in the first place, when it's already there on the disc.

It was also just plain bad, I've never played a worse versus mode in my life. Its insane that it still has an active playerbase.

Also I would prefer mandatory patches, at least then you know its something extra like the characters in Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Mortal Kombat, no need to buy them if you don't want them.

I also feel the spec ops campaign should have been on the disk, the voices and characters are there and its a bunch of re-used assets from within the game, course Capcom split the multi community day 1 with nemesis mode so who knows what the hell they are thinking.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The versus mode isn't bad persay, it's just horribly balanced to hell and back. I like the premise, but I don't like the execution.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

That loving Sned posted:

No the idea for on-disc DLC is to test just how far you can push your customers with micro-transactions before they completely break.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Alteisen posted:

Also I would prefer mandatory patches, at least then you know its something extra like the characters in Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Mortal Kombat, no need to buy them if you don't want them.

The problem is patches on the 360 can't exceed like 10MB or something, which is why they released "compatibility packs" for Mortal Kombat 9 that would let people without the DLC characters play against people who did have them. They even included two new alternate costumes for free with each pack, but you'd still run into people online that didn't have them, which meant you couldn't play as the character you paid money for. It was annoying.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

The versus mode isn't bad persay, it's just horribly balanced to hell and back. I like the premise, but I don't like the execution.

Yeah, it's basically Lupo, Leon, Dee Ay, or Nicholai with shotguns vs. everyone else. Super Soldier is just a bad idea for an ability in a multiplayer game, since it's a win button on a short cooldown.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

That loving Sned posted:

It wasn't already on the disc it's just constructed from assets already on the disc.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Well, for all its flaws, I do really like ORC, so does anyone want to bro it up in co-op?

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, it's basically Lupo, Leon, Dee Ay, or Nicholai with shotguns vs. everyone else. Super Soldier is just a bad idea for an ability in a multiplayer game, since it's a win button on a short cooldown.

Yeah, they should nerf it to hell like they did with Induce Infection, or disable it entirely.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

It wasn't already on the disc it's just constructed from assets already on the disc.

I've read that the patch was just a few kilobytes, and may have just unlocked the option to play versus mode.

I wish Microsoft would relax it's restrictions on patches, because having file size limits and a $10,000 cost for multiple patches hasn't stopped buggy games from being released, and just prevents them from being fixed at all.

Alone in the Dark was notoriously broken at launch, but had many improvements and fixes for the delayed PS3 version. The overall size of the patch required to bring the 360 version up to that quality was too large, so it remains broken.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

thehumandignity posted:

Well, for all its flaws, I do really like ORC, so does anyone want to bro it up in co-op?

I actually tried buying it- only to find that it's not available in my region :suicide: Oh sure, we allow Hitman and the Witcher, but not RE.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

CommissarMega posted:

I actually tried buying it- only to find that it's not available in my region :suicide: Oh sure, we allow Hitman and the Witcher, but not RE.

what

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

thehumandignity posted:

I could be convinced, possibly.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
You get to kill zombies! And have firefights with SOF soldiers! You can choose from an array of over 40 assault rifles, submachine guns, machine guns, sniper rifles, pistols and shotguns! You earn experience points by killing zombies, finding collectibles, and completing objectives in campaign or versus modes, and then use those points to purchase new weapons, or abilities for six different classes (Surveillance, Medic, Field Scientist, Assault, Demo, and Recon)! Shoot Leon Kennedy in the face!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If you have friends lined up to play with you the co-op for ORC is a good time. I can't guarantee it's $60 of fun but I enjoyed myself.