Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Code Jockey posted:

That makes a lot of sense.

:ohdear:

Protip: Shoot at the shadow until it dies.

In all seriousness, Ebony and Ivory are great tools for staying in the air longer if you didn't know already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

And yeah, I have no idea how people tolerate playing it without a right stick. I've only ever played the PS3 port so I don't know.

You learn to use the claw and you learn to like it.

Fortunately, it worked pretty well for PSPortable as well.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Another The Walking Dead idiot moment (minor spoilers to follow, spoiler tagging stuff just in case):

During one scene this one woman keeps fiddling with a radio and seems fairly upset that she can't get it to work. Ask her if she needs help and she lets you look at it. The problem ends up being that there are no batteries in it. The following conversation ensues:

Player: Looks like the problem is that it has no batteries in it.
Woman: What.
Player: Batteries... you know?
Woman: I don't understand.
Player: I'll go look for some batteries.
Woman: Um, sure, I guess.

:downs:

I don't know how any of these people survived normal, everyday life. How are people this stupid the only ones to survive the opening days of a zombie apocalypse?

Also, this game may set the record for easiest plat ever. All you have to do is buy the whole season and complete the game. That's it. There's not even a "hard mode" playthrough required like the previous record holder, Terminator: Salvation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is the Walking Dead game good? People seemed to hate Jurassic Park.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I played Monster Hunter on the Wii, and honestly I don't get it. The game was pretty boring.

I've tried on both the PS2 and Wii and couldn't get into it as well. I keep hearing about these astounding monster fights but then when I play I wind up grinding boring tasks for a couple of hours until I say, "gently caress this!" and give up.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

...! posted:

I don't know how any of these people survived normal, everyday life. How are people this stupid the only ones to survive the opening days of a zombie apocalypse?

Go read SH/SC sometime. They survive because they're the vast majority of the population.

It seems like that, at least.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Other than the fact that literally every character seems to be full-on retarded, I'm enjoying it. Well, that and the fact that some of the QTEs are bullshit because the window's so short. The only way I was able to do some of them was to grip the controller weirdly and operate the right thumbstick with my left thumb and the buttons with my right thumb. I'd estimate(going off the trophy list here) that I'm a little more than halfway through the first episode and those are the two problems that have stood out to me.

Edit: That's especially funny now that I read in Telltale's FAQ about the game that "QTEs do not form a major part of game-play." That is a flat out lie. A very significant percentage of gameplay is very difficult QTEs. Failing any QTE is an instant game over.

...! fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 27, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

I've tried on both the PS2 and Wii and couldn't get into it as well. I keep hearing about these astounding monster fights but then when I play I wind up grinding boring tasks for a couple of hours until I say, "gently caress this!" and give up.
One thing I noticed about MHP3 is that the initial hunting area takes a freaking million billion years to get through, before it opens up other areas for you. Towards the end of my time with it (I ended up selling it, maybe prematurely) I was wondering if there even were any more environments in the game, and then I found out that there are a total of twelve.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Random Stranger posted:

Honestly, if you're not playing Monster Hunter online with three other goons with headsets, you're doing it wrong. Granted I also enjoy the gameplay, but a lot of my enjoyment (and hours) were from having other people to play with.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

...! posted:

Other than the fact that literally every character seems to be full-on retarded, I'm enjoying it. Well, that and the fact that some of the QTEs are bullshit because the window's so short. The only way I was able to do some of them was to grip the controller weirdly and operate the right thumbstick with my left thumb and the buttons with my right thumb. I'd estimate(going off the trophy list here) that I'm a little more than halfway through the first episode and those are the two problems that have stood out to me.

Have you played Yakuza Dead Souls yet? Are the QTEs tighter than Dead Souls's? Because those were some tight QTEs.

[well, when the engine wasn't having a lagging fit anyway, which I guess WAS half the time. :P]

J
Jun 10, 2001

Policenaut posted:

Capcom doesn't want to acknowledge Monster Hunter exists overseas. They've willingly told fans that they "still have Dragon's Dogma" at trade shows. Abandon all hope, ye English speaker who enter here.

This pisses me off so much. How loving hard is it to translate, release the poo poo on PSN only so you don't have to worry about physical distribution, and then collect :10bux:? I want my MH and I don't want to have to screw around with imports or fan translation patches or other nonsense :sigh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

J posted:

This pisses me off so much. How loving hard is it to translate, release the poo poo on PSN only so you don't have to worry about physical distribution, and then collect :10bux:? I want my MH and I don't want to have to screw around with imports or fan translation patches or other nonsense :sigh:
By that argument there should be billions of such games on the PSN, but there aren't. Clearly something very real and very powerful keeps it from happening. I don't know what it is though. Maybe something on Sony's end?

vvv naah it couldn't be just Capcom. There's something that prevents games from being translated cheaply and put on the PSN. Somehow it didn't stop Warriors Orochi 3 but that's the only example I can think of offhand. I'm not disputing that Capcom is stupid though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 27, 2012

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Capcom is stupid. :ms:

Edit: You're right. They're also lazy.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 27, 2012

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

Have you played Yakuza Dead Souls yet? Are the QTEs tighter than Dead Souls's? Because those were some tight QTEs.

[well, when the engine wasn't having a lagging fit anyway, which I guess WAS half the time. :P]

I actually just got an email from Gamefly not half an hour ago saying they're sending me Dead Souls. :whatup:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

J posted:

Portable 3rd is doomed. Completely and utterly doomed in both PSP and PS3 incarnations.

Capcom doesn't want to localize P3rd PSP because, let's face it, the PSP has been virtually brain dead for the past 2/3 years. You could argue they might release it for both PSP and PS Vita, but I imagine that would piss off all the people who want an actual, legitimate, Vita-designed Monster Hunter on Vita. They also (to my recollection) stated they only want to localize Monster Hunter games with online play due to the larger social issue of meeting other players in person, and P3rd doesn't have online play. They could create an online play mode, but there's already a problem with that. More on that in a minute.

Sony America and Europe rejected P3rd PS3 because it doesn't pass minimum standards for PS3 games. It lacks a Trophy list and doesn't properly utilize the PlayStation Network for online play. P3rd PS3 uses Ad-hoc Party for its online play, but the version we have in the West is an older version compared to the souped up model the Japanese have. The problem with all of this is that Capcom doesn't want to pay to create an online service just for a dodgy American release of a cash-in port, but Sony America/Europe doesn't want to re-localize a program just to meet Capcom's wishes. The Trophy issue was comparatively minor to this.

SCEA and SCEE won't bend over for Capcom like Sony Japan, and Capcom refuses to spend any money to improve a slapdash port.

Abandon all hope, ye who post here.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

...! posted:

Edit: That's especially funny now that I read in Telltale's FAQ about the game that "QTEs do not form a major part of game-play." That is a flat out lie. A very significant percentage of gameplay is very difficult QTEs. Failing any QTE is an instant game over.

I found the controls simple and fairly inspired. You just use the 2 sticks and and you can use either the face buttons or the d-pad interchangeably, depending on which thumb is most available at the moment except for in the few "mash X then press Tri or Circle" moments. But most of the time if it says X to do an action it means X or Down on the Dpad because the commands come up on a big Dpad looking cross. I picked up on that rather quick but I can see how some people could miss it because the game doesn't assume you are as retarded as the radio lady.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

...! posted:

I actually just got an email from Gamefly not half an hour ago saying they're sending me Dead Souls. :whatup:

Hell yes. :black101:

The idea of more Aggros getting turned to swiss zombie cheese makes me happy [gently caress Aggros forever]

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Portable 3rd is doomed. Completely and utterly doomed in both PSP and PS3 incarnations.

Capcom doesn't want to localize P3rd PSP because, let's face it, the PSP has been virtually brain dead for the past 2/3 years. You could argue they might release it for both PSP and PS Vita, but I imagine that would piss off all the people who want an actual, legitimate, Vita-designed Monster Hunter on Vita. They also (to my recollection) stated they only want to localize Monster Hunter games with online play due to the larger social issue of meeting other players in person, and P3rd doesn't have online play. They could create an online play mode, but there's already a problem with that. More on that in a minute.

Sony America and Europe rejected P3rd PS3 because it doesn't pass minimum standards for PS3 games. It lacks a Trophy list and doesn't properly utilize the PlayStation Network for online play. P3rd PS3 uses Ad-hoc Party for its online play, but the version we have in the West is an older version compared to the souped up model the Japanese have. The problem with all of this is that Capcom doesn't want to pay to create an online service just for a dodgy American release of a cash-in port, but Sony America/Europe doesn't want to re-localize a program just to meet Capcom's wishes. The Trophy issue was comparatively minor to this.

SCEA and SCEE won't bend over for Capcom like Sony Japan, and Capcom refuses to spend any money to improve a slapdash port.

Abandon all hope, ye who post here.
Yeah, MHP3HD was a very very poor port, it's from the early days of that kind of PSP/PS2 ports, and they have learned a lot since then. Just once I tried playing online through that whatchamacallit ad-hoc thing and let's just say it brought back memories of setting up Doom 2 games over a BBS using LAN emulation. I had no idea such systems still existed in this day and age.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Did anything ever come out of that Syphon Filter announcement? I just finished Logan's Shadow and while the PSP games have moment of brilliance (especially for PSP games) they play out lackluster when they were ported to PS2. I thought the series really took a turn for the worst when they released Omega Strain, but it picked up slightly with the PSP games.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

The PS1 Syphon Filter games were quite good but they're pretty much unplayable for me these days because the graphics didn't age well at all. I'd go so far as to say that the PS1 Syphon Filters are harder to look at these days than even MGS1. I'd love a PS3 Syphon Filter with the same overall structure as the PS1 games, even though I heard the PS2 one was terrible.

I just wanna taser guys until they combust.

...! fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 27, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Supposed Sony Smash Reveal soon on "Side Mission" right now.

Right now they're interviewing the Penny Arcade dudes or something.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Such a ridiculous standard, wouldn't give a poo poo if Getaway 3 had no multiplayer or if Eight Days had no lovely trophies.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
10 minutes until the super-secret awesome exclusive PS3 game is announced on GametrailersTV (and IGN and maybe Playstation Blog). It will be on Spike in the US.

Listings in case you can't find it:
Satellite
DirecTV Channel 241 (SD/HD)
Dish Network Channel 168 (SD/HD)
Bell TV (Canada) Channel 628
Shaw Direct (Canada) Channel 584 / 268

Cable
Rogers Cable (Canada) Channel 279
Verizon FiOS Channel 54 (SD)
Channel 554 (HD)
Available on most cable systems

IPTV
AT&T U-verse Channel 145 (SD)
Channel 1145 (HD)

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 27, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yechezkel posted:

10 minutes until the super-secret awesome exclusive PS3 game is announced on GametrailersTV (and IGN and maybe Playstation Blog). It will be on Spike in the US.

Yeah, I wish this was made more apparent earlier. The countdown on GameTrailers' site ended hours ago and I must have spent 2 hours watching stupid crap before someone in their live chat said it wasn't for ANOTHER 2 hours so I turned it off. Thanks for the reminder though! Totally turning Spike on.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale.

Thanks for telling us right at the start.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hey, that's cool. Buzz, Parappa, and Fat Princess. It looks like Killzone's dude is Colonel Radec from Killzone 2.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
First impression, I like that it looks like they are having fun with the levels. Patapon level with giant god of war Hades mixed in for example.

Besides that, it looks to be ripping off Smash Bros very faithfully and I won't complain if the quality is there.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hahaha oh wow, Radec's "Level 3 Super" is almost exactly Snake's Smash Ball attack.

RaDaMaNt
Apr 24, 2012
Is new Twisted Metal any good? I'm still considering buying it

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
More info on Battle Royale:

Characters shown:
Sweet Tooth
Kratos
Sly
Fat Princess
Radec
PaRappa

3rd-party characters confirmed, but none revealed

"A boss" is confirmed but not revealed, "picked something out of the hat that players will be really surprised with"

DLC "something that needs to be determined, but I definitely think there is DLC potential with this game"

Each character had 3 supers.

Stages:
Underworld with Hades in foreground with Patapons in background
LittleBigPlanet town built in real-time, Buzz appears in background
The first town from Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction, changes to rainstorm with Hydra from God of War 1
19th Hole, I'm guessing from a Hot Shots Golf game, a island with a spiraling building on an island, golfer from Hot Shots Golf in background smacking ball towards players

Policenaut posted:

Also that island stage they showed is from Jak and Daxter. I didn't recognize it at first but the fish that attempts to eat you when you fall into the water is from Jak 1 (so many nightmares :ohdear:)

4 player local and online
Co-op play (2 on 2, 1 on 3)

To be released around holiday season this year. More will be shown at E3.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 27, 2012

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Any screenshots or video yet? I spent god knows how many hours in SSB: Melee and Brawl during college. I'd love to do it all over again, provided I can find people at my hospital to play with. I seriously hope they just 100% rip off Smash Brothers, because I can't see them improving the gameplay much more than that.

RaDaMaNt
Apr 24, 2012

quote:

Battle Royale
This is a Super Smash Bros from Sony, right?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Any screenshots or video yet?

I missed the GT trailer, but this page is saying they'll have media in a few hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yechezkel posted:

More info on Battle Royale:

Characters shown:
Sweet Tooth
Kratos
Sly
Fat Princess
Radec
PaRappa

3rd-party characters confirmed, but none revealed

"A boss" is confirmed but not revealed, "picked something out of the hat that players will be really surprised with"

DLC "something that needs to be determined, but I definitely think there is DLC potential with this game"

Each character had 3 supers.

Stages:
Underworld with Hades in foreground with Patapons in background
LittleBigPlanet town built in real-time, Buzz appears in background
The first town from Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction, changes to rainstorm with Hydra from God of War 1
19th Hole, I'm guessing from a Hot Shots Golf game, a island with a spiraling building on an island, golfer in background smacking ball towards players

4 player local and online
Co-op play (2 on 2, 1 on 3)

To be released around holiday season this year. More will be shown at E3.

Man, the levels sound so much more interesting than the characters.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I haven't seen the GTTV thing but here's a screenshot somebody posted on another forum. It really does look exactly like Smash Bros, which is a pretty good thing if you think about it.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

Any screenshots or video yet? I spent god knows how many hours in SSB: Melee and Brawl during college. I'd love to do it all over again, provided I can find people at my hospital to play with. I seriously hope they just 100% rip off Smash Brothers, because I can't see them improving the gameplay much more than that.

Full GTTV is up on gametrailers.com

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Holy poo poo just started watching that and it looks loving amazing :aaa:

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

Holy poo poo just started watching that and it looks loving amazing :aaa:

This. Those mashup level ideas (Hades & Patapon, Captain Qwark & Hydra) sound really neat. And I never thought I'd see PaRappa again.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
After watching the video I can see they 100% copied Smash in every aspect, and I love them for it. All this game needs to be amazing is the same winning formula with Sony characters and levels. Also I hope they try and cram in at least 30 characters, because the more the merrier in these types of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
If this game can give me Kratos with his God Armor as an alternate costume, This is gonna be Game of the Forever for me.

• Locked thread