Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
there's a piccadilly on north decatur with ample parking...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's entirely fair. I'm not really thinking this through.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm just joshin. zyka would work, tacqueria del sol would work, taco mac would work (hehe), twains would probably work though I've never had their food... manuel's would work, etc. I feel like you got lots of options out there.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Need a place down there to take the wife for our 11 year anniversary. Somewhere "nice". Ability to get last minute reservations a plus. Preferably a local / non-chain type place.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
http://holeman-finch.com/

Although I don't think they take reservations. We just show up early for dinner.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Maybe something a Llittle more cozy?

Might give their brunch a shot though.

Edit: the wife says she wants seafood. So fancy seafood restaurants in Atlanta... go!

crm fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 27, 2012

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

crm posted:

Edit: the wife says she wants seafood. So fancy seafood restaurants in Atlanta... go!

Sotto Sotto has an amazing seafood risotto. Also their chocolate soup is pretty drat amazing, and its probably one of the cozier places I know of. Reservations allowed too!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
atlanta fish market is probably what you're looking for.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
speaking of "seafood" "places", I really miss redfish. :( too bad about their location...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

crm posted:

Going Coastal can be cozy if you don't go on a Wednesday and they put you in a nice big booth in the back. Depending on what their specials are, it can be quite good.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I don't know of any good dedicated seafood places that fit what you're looking for, but Bistro Niko has several fish dishes and they pretty frequently have a fish special. It can be a little loud and exposed in there depending on where you get seated, but it's a nice place with good service. If you're looking for something really cozy and highfalutin, there's Antica Posta. But you're gonna be paying more there than most places.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

crm posted:

Is sushi works for seafood, Hashiguchi/Sushi Jr. is always amazing, and my girlfriend and I really enjoy Taka as well.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Atlanta Fish Market is my favorite seafood place. Great food, a bit on the expensive side (but well worth it). Not sure how "nice" you're aiming for; the atmosphere is more casual, so if you're looking for a fancy jackets-and-ties-only sort of place, it might not fit. If you just want a nice place with some excellent seafood and you don't care if the folks at the table across the way are wearing shorts, though, it'd be perfect.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

My food experiences so far were:

Veni Vidi Vici (got an Internet buddy who's the Chef de Cuisine)
Vortex
Atlanta Fish Market

None have disappointed. I think I've also put on 10 lbs lol

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

crm posted:

My food experiences so far were:

Veni Vidi Vici (got an Internet buddy who's the Chef de Cuisine)
Vortex
Atlanta Fish Market

None have disappointed. I think I've also put on 10 lbs lol

Those are all solid places to eat. You have many more to go, though.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Zenzirouj posted:

Those are all solid places to eat. You have many more to go, though.
Holeman & Fitch for Sunday brunch!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am thinking about treating the bridesmaids and groomsmen at my wedding to a fancy schmancy dinner as their wedding gift. What's the best place under 75 bucks/person where you can get people to eat without being concerned with price of what they're getting? Prix fixe works. Alternatively, the best bang for your buck and I can get them something supplemental?

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I went to Iron Age in Duluth last night with some friends for Korean BBQ and was not disappointed. They have unlimited pork belly and brisket for $15 (everyone at the table must order it), and both were excellent. You get about 10 different kinds of banchan with the meal and as long as you continue to ask, they continue to bring more of everything. We ate no less than 5 pounds of pork belly between the four of us and everyone in my party was overly impressed with the food. It's definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

RHIN0002 posted:

I went to Iron Age in Duluth last night with some friends for Korean BBQ and was not disappointed. They have unlimited pork belly and brisket for $15 (everyone at the table must order it), and both were excellent. You get about 10 different kinds of banchan with the meal and as long as you continue to ask, they continue to bring more of everything. We ate no less than 5 pounds of pork belly between the four of us and everyone in my party was overly impressed with the food. It's definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

I've been there a few times and enjoyed it. I once went by myself and they looked at me very funny, presumably because it is kind of a group thing, but I ate a ton of meat and was happy.

I'm trying to find some good place to eat breakfast/brunch on the weekends. I typically want to go eat breakfast/brunch by myself somewhere between 10am and noon, but all the places near me I can think of are the type of place that are really busy with groups of people and typically require a long wait (Urban pL8, West Egg, etc). Recently I've just sort of given up and go to Einstein Bros since I do enjoy a bagel with cream cheese and lox, but I'd prefer to go somewhere I can order more than one thing. So does anyone have any suggestions for a decent weekend breakfast/brunch places near-ish Midtown that aren't jammed?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

venutolo posted:

I've been there a few times and enjoyed it. I once went by myself and they looked at me very funny, presumably because it is kind of a group thing, but I ate a ton of meat and was happy.

I'm trying to find some good place to eat breakfast/brunch on the weekends. I typically want to go eat breakfast/brunch by myself somewhere between 10am and noon, but all the places near me I can think of are the type of place that are really busy with groups of people and typically require a long wait (Urban pL8, West Egg, etc). Recently I've just sort of given up and go to Einstein Bros since I do enjoy a bagel with cream cheese and lox, but I'd prefer to go somewhere I can order more than one thing. So does anyone have any suggestions for a decent weekend breakfast/brunch places near-ish Midtown that aren't jammed?

Java Jive on Ponce and Rise N Dine in Emory Village are my go-to weekend breakfast places. Rise-N-Dine might have a 30 minute wait for a two top around noon on Saturday, but a single seat at the bar is pretty easy to come by (I've never waited more than 5, maybe 10 minutes when I'm by myself).

Java Jive has a weird parking lot behind the building, is cash only, and has a limited menu, but tends to be pretty tasty. They don't have a bar, but they've been perfectly happy to accommodate my lonesome rear end when I walk in. They've got a bunch of two tops, and one table that's a two top in name only but gets really cramped if more than one person sits there. Wait can get a little gnarly, but is generally <15 minutes.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Java Jive on Ponce and Rise N Dine in Emory Village are my go-to weekend breakfast places.

We likely see each other often. Or at least, did, when I was a bit fatter and more carefree.
In any case, Java Jive will sort of reward you for being a regular and they'll know what you like within a couple of visits, but they are cash only. There are a handful of two-tops that are fine for people going solo, but aside from the retro ambiance and reliably good spiced quick breads and lemon curd or their southwestern scramble, I can't see you eating there often. At Rise N Dine I sit at the bar and read up on development crap that I'll use that day. There's like zero wait for the bar and one of the girls will make you a cafe au lait that will generally knock your socks off. I can't get enough of the polish scramble because I have a stupid Czech chin on my face and I like pierogies and sausage. If you're feeling super hungry, their bananas and cream is a good appetizer because it's bananas and cream. Send me a PM if you want to get breakfast here on a Sat before noon.

The bacon at Sun in my Belly has delicious, evil orange oil that makes any breakfast have a less than ten minute permanence in my guts. Just say no. Either way you will leave reeking of bacon.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

I am thinking about treating the bridesmaids and groomsmen at my wedding to a fancy schmancy dinner as their wedding gift. What's the best place under 75 bucks/person where you can get people to eat without being concerned with price of what they're getting? Prix fixe works. Alternatively, the best bang for your buck and I can get them something supplemental?

you have a whole lot to work with with a budget of $75/pp - what do you mean by 'without being concerned with the price of what they're getting'? Are you trying to keep it substantially under 75/pp?

most good restaurants in Atlanta are basically first courses of $8-15, and mains of $20-35 - so even including wine (maybe another 20-30/pp), you shouldn't have to worry too much no matter where you go.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

mindphlux posted:

'without being concerned with the price of what they're getting'?

Of course any money that doesn't get spent is a nice bonus, but I don't want my friends to feel weird about getting the 30 dollar entree that they want instead of getting the 16 dollar entree that would be alright. I'm setting this money aside so I want them to get what they actually want, regardless of the price. Menus without prices on them would work, or prix fixe, or something like that.

If 75/pp is more than I need, then where do you think the best place for a table of 8 would be? My only experience with restaurants that only list prices in whole dollars is limited only to Ecco, Woodfire Grill, and 4th & Swift so far.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

If 75/pp is more than I need, then where do you think the best place for a table of 8 would be? My only experience with restaurants that only list prices in whole dollars is limited only to Ecco, Woodfire Grill, and 4th & Swift so far.

restaurant eugene you should look into. I'm not biased, I promise ;)

the service there is really great - much 'fancier' than woodfire grill as a point of comparison. you'd end up on the higher end of your budget though depending on alcohol.

I mean you could go to any number of nice but lower key places - local three is pretty solid, h.harper station, h+f, one eared stag, empire state south - you'd be almost certainly under budget at any of those places. They don't feel as fancy though, so I dunno if that's a dealbreaker.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Nah, fancy isn't really a dealbreaker, food quality is what it's about. I don't care if you artfully smear seasonally appropriate puree of something on my plate, if it doesn't taste good it doesn't matter. If you could taste decoration, Ru San's wouldn't need a lunch buffet.

Really what I mean by fancy is that it's a special occasion for most of my friends including myself to eat anywhere with dishes more complex than what you'd find at Front Page News or Bone Garden Cantina - not that there's anything wrong with those places at all, I'm a big fan. My standard for a good gift is something someone would like but wouldn't regularly buy for themselves, and a really good dining experience hits the spot there in my opinion.

I'm definitely interested in Restaurant Eugene seeing as they have a tasting menu right at 75, but thanks for the other suggestions too!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance & kuskus posted:

Java Jive & Rise N Dine
Thanks. I'll check these two places out in the near future.

kuskus posted:

Send me a PM if you want to get breakfast here on a Sat before noon.
Assuming that was intended at me, will do.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

venutolo posted:

Assuming that was intended at me, will do.

Likewise, me too.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Unsure of where else to put this, but I saw it come across my RSS feed, and will probably end up going:

http://www.pinestreetmarket.com/collections/frontpage/products/whole-hog-cooking-class

if anyone else is interested!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

godzirraRAWR posted:

Unsure of where else to put this, but I saw it come across my RSS feed, and will probably end up going:

http://www.pinestreetmarket.com/collections/frontpage/products/whole-hog-cooking-class

I went to their sausage making class a couple weekends ago and rather enjoyed it. Assuming nothing gets in the way, I'll be at the whole hog class as well.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

godzirraRAWR posted:

awesome, I hadn't heard of this place. gotta make it over next time I'm in decatur.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

godzirraRAWR posted:

I just moved to Decatur. I will definitely be heading over there at some point soon.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Georgia peaches are now available! Pearson Farm peaches became available on the 12th and Lane Southern Orchard peaches were available on the 1st. Due to our mild winter, peaches are available earlier this year, and due to the decreased rainfall, the peaches will be smaller, but sweeter.

For anyone who is interested in sushi, or cuisine in general, I highly recommend seeing Jiro Dreams of Sushi. It is still playing at the Tara, though probably not for much longer. I watched it today and loved it.

kontona
May 3, 2003

venutolo posted:

For anyone who is interested in sushi, or cuisine in general, I highly recommend seeing Jiro Dreams of Sushi. It is still playing at the Tara, though probably not for much longer. I watched it today and loved it.

i went to see this too and was very surprised. i liked it a lot.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kontona posted:

i went to see this too and was very surprised. i liked it a lot.

finally saw this tonight too (we were probably at the same showing where they messed up and showed the wrong thing in the beginning?)

was great. really appreciated it.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

finally saw this tonight too (we were probably at the same showing where they messed up and showed the wrong thing in the beginning?)

was great. really appreciated it.

They screwed up the 7pm showing as well? At the 2pm showing, there was only audio and no video at first, then someone had to be fetched and the whole thing had to be started over from the trailers. There were also a bunch of angry old people upset that the theater showing that Marigold movie was full and there were no seats together and the only available seats were way off to the side.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

They screwed up the 7pm showing as well? At the 2pm showing, there was only audio and no video at first, then someone had to be fetched and the whole thing had to be started over from the trailers. There were also a bunch of angry old people upset that the theater showing that Marigold movie was full and there were no seats together and the only available seats were way off to the side.

haha

yeah, they ran the movie and it did all the trailers and then it turned out it was some chick flick movie. everyone got up and started freaking out that they were in the wrong theater until someone went and told them, and they restarted Jiro, but had to watch all the trailers again.

THANKS, TARA

also really what is it with all the old people and that marigold thing

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

also really what is it with all the old people and that marigold thing

I went to the 1:50pm showing of Jiro and there were a ton of people in line to get tickets to that Marigold film at 2pm. I think I counted only one other person in the lines who I thought was below the age of 40.

As for Atlanta food stuff: peaches are delicious, I'm excited for the whole hog class at Pine Street Market next weekend, and Antico was the highest scoring pizza place in the US in the most recent Zagat Survey (at 27, if I recall correctly).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
have I mentioned woo nam jeong stone bowl restaurant in this thread?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/woo-nam-jeong-stone-bowl-house-atlanta

because if not it really deserves a meritorious mention.

cooking is done by some grandma 6 days a week, and the food is really generally outstanding. especially the mushroom dolsot bibimbop that my partner usually orders. I usually enjoy having meat with dinner, but I'd probably eat this vegetarian rear end poo poo any day of the week with no complaints.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
Seconding this. Great food and Grandma is very friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Well, I guess I know where I'm eating lunch today (or at least sometime this week). Love me some bibimbop.