Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Dancer posted:

So here's a game that I would say really really deserves the relatively modest amount of money it's asking for:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/niffler/chucks-challenge-3d?ref=home_location
If you haven't played Chip's Challenge back in the day, you really missed out. It's one of the greatest puzzle games out there. Now the original creator is making a sequel and it needs 1K more in the next 2 days and a bit.
Also worth noting is that the lowest reward tier that gets you the game is 5bux. Definitely worth it, I would say.

You should check out the game on iOS if you have a chance first. I almost broke my finger mashing the download button when I saw it for free in the app store and found that it was devoid of almost all of the charm the original Chip's Challenge had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Dancer posted:

So here's a game that I would say really really deserves the relatively modest amount of money it's asking for:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/niffler/chucks-challenge-3d?ref=home_location
If you haven't played Chip's Challenge back in the day, you really missed out. It's one of the greatest puzzle games out there. Now the original creator is making a sequel and it needs 1K more in the next 2 days and a bit.
Also worth noting is that the lowest reward tier that gets you the game is 5bux. Definitely worth it, I would say.
It's just a port of an existing game, and that existing game isn't very good according to at least one goon who's played it:

Agrias120 posted:

buttopticor posted:

More Chip's Challenge-style gameplay, made by the same guy that did it the first time?! This sounds amazing.

I wish there were a more well-defined basic reward tier, though. $5 is "maybe you're preordering the game, maybe not" and the next tier is $25.

Edit: Actually I think I just read it wrong. I think $5 is "preorder the base game for sure and either the whole thing or at least $10 worth of DLC".
It's honestly not very good. I downloaded it on iOS a while back and it didn't have any of the same charm that Chip's Challenge did.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Well, this may or may not be a big deal to other people, but for me the main appeal is the ~level editor~. Grid based puzzle games such as these have, in my experience, huge potential beyond just the official level (my favourite example of this is DROD where adding the sizes of all unofficial level sets together would be something like 100 times the official ones, and many of those user-made ones are ridiculously good. SubTerra is another good example). Even with a small community, there should be a significant amount of high quality levels out there to not leave you bored.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I really hope developers using Kickstarter eventually realize that they are not allowed to edit their tiers, and should thus look them over a couple of times before posting.

Anyway, Legends of Eisenwald is just shy of $9000, a long way still from their 50K goal. Wonder if they project can make it. They have 24 days left, but no real hype.

Grim Dawn, on the other hand, is over the halfway point with $193,496 of $280,000 raised. Still might be tough, but I think they might pull it off, what with 3 weeks to go and all. I'd like to play both of these games!

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
Grim Dawn has a pretty steady growth after their 4 day influx of pledges. I think it was 4-5 days ago 160,000, now its 193,705. It will most likely make the 280,000, but not the 450,000 goal, unless they get a lot of publicity.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

So Mythic: The Story of Gods and Men, I guess it isn't really plagiarism, but they copied The Banner Saga's tiers and rewards almost word for word.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Rebel Blob posted:

So Mythic: The Story of Gods and Men, I guess it isn't really plagiarism, but they copied The Banner Saga's tiers and rewards almost word for word.

Hilarious. Look at this poo poo.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Rebel Blob posted:

Hahaha, that poster.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

That is seriously hilarious. I wonder what Chewbot thinks of this.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Those "in game" shots look suspicious, too. Not only are they artifacted to hell but the mountain, at least, looks like a real shot someone messed with.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Really, I just want a Limbo Of The Lost sequel Kickstarter.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Really, I just want a Limbo Of The Lost sequel Kickstarter.

Not gonna lie, I would pay quite a bit for this.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Rebel Blob posted:

Yep, because people are only pumped for Banner Saga because of the rewards right? Surely if they copy those they'll do just as well! :downs:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Sankis posted:

Those "in game" shots look suspicious, too. Not only are they artifacted to hell but the mountain, at least, looks like a real shot someone messed with.

Yeah. In game my rear end, those photos are doctored as gently caress.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Not to mention their pitch seems like lies and buzzwords designed to do nothing but rake in money.

quote:

Mythic is and action/strategy based RPG brought to you by the same team that left Activision / Blizzard in search of something better! MYTHIC is an open world concept that will allow you to choose where you want to go even if it does not coincide with the story line and current missions list (hey, sometimes we just like to explore to level up right?!). The gameplay characteristics will be similar to that of World of Warcraft and the graphics quality should be up there with Skyrim. Game will be release on PC first and then ported to Mac. Depending on funding amount reached we will aiming to get a multiplayer version online by Summer 2013. Game engine is custom but built based off of Unity3D and animations will be done via motion capture thanks to some friends at Disney/Pixar!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

They also say that they'll be using motion capture "thanks to some friends at Disney/Pixar." Riiiiight.

e: Thanks a lot Al, making me look slow and dumb :shobon:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Al! posted:

Not to mention their pitch seems like lies and buzzwords designed to do nothing but rake in money.

"The same team that left Activision / Blizzard in search of something better"? What the hell does that mean? Same team as what?

And yeah, way to namedrop as many games as possible in your description.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

"The same team that left Activision / Blizzard in search of something better"? What the hell does that mean? Same team as what?

From the same team that got fired from a Blizzard call center for drinking on the job with help from my friend's uncle who used to work with a guy who now does night security at Pixar.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

It's like Jeff K (almost) learned how to type and is running a Kickstarter for his new game BETTAR TAHN BANAR SAGGA!!!11!!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This is pretty much what the textbook version on how to steal money on Kickstarter would look like. No way is this project legit.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
God drat, this is just so shameless I had to do another one.

Looks like the Banner guys are cool with it, so good on them. But yeah, as has been said, the project itself looks shady as gently caress.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
That's a huuuuge red flag, Kickstarter needs to check on these guys' legitimacy.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I wonder what his job at this "elite publisher" was :allears:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I wonder what his job at this "elite publisher" was :allears:

Janitor...'s Assistant.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

So in today's update on The Banner Saga, Stoic had a section on Kickstarter game projects that they like and have supported. Good news for Legends of Eisenwald, that endorsement has pumped $3,000 their way in about an hour. Which is significant in context, since that is 6% of what the Eisenwald developers have as a goal.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Anybody who hasn't seen the Sherlock Holmes video, I highly recommend it. Fair warning: it involves references to Monty Python and most of the jokes are groan-worthy. You might have to be an old man and/or connoisseur of dadjokes to find it funny, but I loved it.

It probably won't make its goal (needs to raise almost 40k in less than two days), but it looks pretty neat. I also loved the games as a kid, so there's that.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

I absolutely would've pledged to Republique if they had plans to release it on Android.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Achmed Jones posted:

Anybody who hasn't seen the Sherlock Holmes video, I highly recommend it.

I kid you not: I immediately pledged. Absolutely loved the video. Shame, though, it won't happen. It's impossible to reach that goal with so little time left and nobody knowing about this project. And this is why the Kickstarter fad for game development won't become a serious alternative to create games any time soon; unless you are a big name, the media won't tell people about your project and, without people knowing about your project, it won't get enough funding. There will be a few exceptions to this, but in the long run this will apply to nearly every project.

vvvvv not to mention it takes far more money to develop for every different, little Android model.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 27, 2012

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Lord Yod posted:

I absolutely would've pledged to Republique if they had plans to release it on Android.

They'd have to have asked for twice as much money just because Android is like a ghost town when it comes to monetization potential

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

NINbuntu 64 posted:

They'd have to have asked for twice as much money just because Android is like a ghost town when it comes to monetization potential

They may as well have asked for a million because 500k for an iOS version of Lifeline sounds pretty terrible.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

They may as well have asked for a million because 500k for an iOS version of Lifeline sounds pretty terrible.

Lifeline was terrible because the commands made little to no sense and were barely ever recognized. It's pretty stupid to lump this in with that.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Oh I know, I'm just saying the pitch looked interesting but I can't see myself playing something like that on PC.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Achmed Jones posted:

They also say that they'll be using motion capture "thanks to some friends at Disney/Pixar." Riiiiight.

e: Thanks a lot Al, making me look slow and dumb :shobon:

At least they removed the word "rotoscope" from their 3D game. That would have been embarassing

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Lifeline was terrible because the commands made little to no sense and were barely ever recognized. It's pretty stupid to lump this in with that.

iOS games and voice commands are of course famous for the fidelity of their controls.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Valdis Story only has another two hours so now's the time to get in on it.

The Shadowrun one has less then two days left too.

I finally got a job so I'm gonna stop being a waffling jerk and pledge to it and some other ones I've been following.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 28, 2012

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

iOS games and voice commands are of course famous for the fidelity of their controls.

iOS is famous for the fidelity of its voice controls? It's a major selling point for the iPhone 4S? And iOS game controls are usually fine if proper effort is put in? (See: Mage Gauntlet)

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How does Kickstarter calculate totals? I just threw Valdis Story :10bux: because it looks pretty decent and one of the games linked at the bottom was City Conquest, a tower defense game for iOS. It has 110 total backers and around 10,500 pledged. The numbers don't add up, even a little.

Fake edit: I just remembered kicktraq and the graph for this one looks a little off. Is it weird that this sets off scam alarms in my head?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

How does Kickstarter calculate totals? I just threw Valdis Story :10bux: because it looks pretty decent and one of the games linked at the bottom was City Conquest, a tower defense game for iOS. It has 110 total backers and around 10,500 pledged. The numbers don't add up, even a little.

Fake edit: I just remembered kicktraq and the graph for this one looks a little off. Is it weird that this sets off scam alarms in my head?

You can pledge anonymously, I think.

brainjury
Apr 24, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Somehow, the Nekro Kickstarter put on $30K in the last 24 hours by offering a collectors edition box at $99, and asking all their supporters to suck it up and spend more.

This puts them in danger of completing their kickstarter successfully. Now's the time to take a look, if you're interested in remakes of games from 10 years ago. Even after the crazy money I put into Wasteland 2, I put $15 into this because I like games from the late nineties.

brainjury fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

You can pledge more than the reward tier you're requesting. A $5 backer could be giving $5,000 but only be counted as a $5 backer because that was the reward tier they selected.