Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr Rotcod posted:

Is there a fast way to save images? I'm thinking like double click an image or a link to an image and it saves it to a predefined folder.

create folder shortcut to desktop, or even Pin the shortcut icon to the taskbar area then click & drag image onto folder shortcut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I like using Chrome for drat near everything. Is there a way to know which process is which tab? I've got a tab I use daily at work that I need open at all times and if my tab browsing SA crashes, I'd like to know which one to kill

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

Moeru posted:

I like using Chrome for drat near everything. Is there a way to know which process is which tab? I've got a tab I use daily at work that I need open at all times and if my tab browsing SA crashes, I'd like to know which one to kill

You can enable the PID column in task manager, and then match them to the list of PID's in Chrome's about :memory page.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
See also: Tools / Task Manager (Shift+Esc)

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Since I am making GBS threads this thread up with other google product chat, is anyone else using Google Drive? I swear they just did %s/Docs/Drive/g and slapped a few more gigs on there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm new to Chrome. I'm used to the Quick Search bar in Firefox, so I have no idea how to search using the Omnibar(?). Typing in poo poo uses my default engine (Google) and that's fine, but what do I do when I want to look up something on Wikipedia or YouTube real quick?

Those two and others are in my search engines list in the settings, but I don't know how to utilize them without making them default.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You can set up keywords in the settings. E.g. if you set wiki as the keyword for Wikipedia search when you type "wiki" followed by something you'll search for it on Wikipedia.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Amppelix posted:

You can set up keywords in the settings. E.g. if you set wiki as the keyword for Wikipedia search when you type "wiki" followed by something you'll search for it on Wikipedia.

Excellent. Thanks!

Another question about search engines: The browser seems to be picking up certain sites I visit and adding it to the list. What determines whether or not a site is added (I noticed Dictionary.com was added, while Amazon.ca wasn't)? Are they in some sort of repository?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
(efb :v:)

Chrome can also auto-discover search fields on a lot of sites. I don't have a YouTube keyword defined, but I can type "you<tab>" and search YouTube:

Mak0rz posted:

Excellent. Thanks!

Another question about search engines: The browser seems to be picking up certain sites I visit and adding it to the list. What determines whether or not a site is added (I noticed Dictionary.com was added, while Amazon.ca wasn't)? Are they in some sort of repository?

From http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/common-google-chrome-objections/:

quote:

Just in case you’re curious, the auto-search-discovery is triggered by search fields on the root page of the domain. I don’t have a search field on the root page of my domain (www.mattcutts.com), so if I go to www.mattcutts.com/blog/ and do a search there, Google Chrome won’t learn the autocomplete-with-the-Tab key trick. Instead, I would need a search box on www.mattcutts.com for the Tab key to learn to search (it’s also good to use standard POST HTML submits instead of anything too fancy like JavaScript). If that sounds too hard, there’s an easy solution for you: Google Chrome supports OpenSearch discovery too.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 25, 2012

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Anal Tributary posted:

(efb :v:)

Chrome can also auto-discover search fields on a lot of sites. I don't have a YouTube keyword defined, but I can type "you<tab>" and search YouTube:

From http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/common-google-chrome-objections/:

Performing a search on Amazon.ca added it to the list. Neat, thanks!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone knows what the hold up is in creating a 64bit version for Windows? Searching for it, I land on a bunch of outdated wiki paged at their project site.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
No need, lack of plug in support mostly I would think.

I mean, IE 64 bit exists, but who uses it?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I use the 64bit versions of Firefox. They appear to be faster, and they're currently a little more resilient, because any buffer overrun exploits and the like are not expecting 64bit mode.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, why in the gently caress does Chrome require admin to be made the default browser? I'm thinking of pushing it out at work, since they've made that so easy, but the one sticking point I have is setting it as the default browser.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

FISHMANPET posted:

So, why in the gently caress does Chrome require admin to be made the default browser? I'm thinking of pushing it out at work, since they've made that so easy, but the one sticking point I have is setting it as the default browser.
Because the registry setting isn't in the user's local registry hive. You're setting a machine-wide setting, thus admin access is required. I think you can push that out via GPO, though.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What about a users default browser goes into the machine hive, and why can Firefox and IE do it without requiring admin? I don't want to force people to use Chrome, I want to give them the option to use chrome.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

FISHMANPET posted:

What about a users default browser goes into the machine hive, and why can Firefox and IE do it without requiring admin? I don't want to force people to use Chrome, I want to give them the option to use chrome.
Perhaps they're just setting the local user browser to themselves?

Actually, This TechNet forums article touches on it briefly. I guess it's a Google mandated thing?

I've seen a couple of posts around on the Chromium bug list about this, but they're all pretty old or unanswered.

Short answer: I have no idea. Is Chrome being run from their profile or is it in Program Files?

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else having issue's using google maps?

mine appears to sit there "Un-Responsive" works perfectly under ie9 & ff 3.6.28

win7 64bit Running the latest stable version of chrome.

Funnly enough when i load up chrome under ubuntu 11:04 that uses the same extensions but synced under a different profile google maps works flawlessly.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys

Atrocious Pirate posted:

Anyone else having issue's using google maps?

mine appears to sit there "Un-Responsive" works perfectly under ie9 & ff 3.6.28

win7 64bit Running the latest stable version of chrome.

Funnly enough when i load up chrome under ubuntu 11:04 that uses the same extensions but synced under a different profile google maps works flawlessly.
I used to have this consistently on Google Maps. Turns out I had enabled some experimental flag under chrome://flags. I believe it was "Enable Experimental JavaScript". Try turning off that flag and, if that doesn't work, setting all the flags on that page to their default value.

If that still doesn't work, make sure you're testing with all extensions disabled (try an incognito window -- though beware, some extensions can still run, so make sure to check your extensions page.)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So can anyone tell me what the hell is going on here? I have the Webkit Fix and SALR extensions and no combination of them seems to fix it. Enabling the timg fix in SALR doesn't make the huge space appear, but the expand link is still non-functional. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with Chrome v18.0.1025.168 m.

Weird thing is, the exact same configuration works fine on Xubuntu 12.04 with... whatever the latest Linux version of Chrome is.

Before hovering over the thumbnail:

After (clicking the expand link still doesn't work here):

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mak0rz posted:

So can anyone tell me what the hell is going on here? I have the Webkit Fix and SALR extensions and no combination of them seems to fix it. Enabling the timg fix in SALR doesn't make the huge space appear, but the expand link is still non-functional. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with Chrome v18.0.1025.168 m.

Weird thing is, the exact same configuration works fine on Xubuntu 12.04 with... whatever the latest Linux version of Chrome is.

Before hovering over the thumbnail:

After (clicking the expand link still doesn't work here):

Did you disable all the SA-related extensions?

The timg tag got fixed yesterday.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thermopyle posted:

Ah, disabling the webkit fix extension did the trick. Is the emoticon alignment bug fixed as well?

EDIT: Seems the timg bug is only partially fixed. I can now expand images inline, but I can't click them to open in a new tab (useful when the image is gently caress-off gigantic and I want it auto-resized).

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 1, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Ah, disabling the webkit fix extension did the trick. Is the emoticon alignment bug fixed as well?

EDIT: Seems the timg bug is only partially fixed. I can now expand images inline, but I can't click them to open in a new tab (useful when the image is gently caress-off gigantic and I want it auto-resized).

Can't you right-click:"Open image in new tab" for this latter behaviour?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Penguissimo posted:

Can't you right-click:"Open image in new tab" for this latter behaviour?

I... had no idea that was an option. Thanks! I still would like to do it with a single middle-click though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You can ctrl-click for a new tab as well.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

It seems to have only partially been fixed - I have to click the small blue "dimensions" box in order to expand or collapse a timg. I used to be able to click on the image itself to do this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thermopyle posted:

You can ctrl-click for a new tab as well.

That doesn't work when the timgs aren't interactive links.

Karthe posted:

It seems to have only partially been fixed - I have to click the small blue "dimensions" box in order to expand or collapse a timg.

This is actually the intended behavior of timg tags.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Karthe posted:

It seems to have only partially been fixed

It depends on your definition of fixed. :D

Put it this way...it now functions as the dev intended.

Mak0rz posted:

That doesn't work when the timgs aren't interactive links.

Oops.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
I'm managing two different youtube/google accounts.

Is there any way for me to be logged into both in different tabs?
I've tried googling and everybody seems to suggest using one account in "normal" chrome and the other in incognito.

I was thinking there had to be some kind of extension available for this.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Howmuch posted:

I'm managing two different youtube/google accounts.

Is there any way for me to be logged into both in different tabs?
I've tried googling and everybody seems to suggest using one account in "normal" chrome and the other in incognito.

I was thinking there had to be some kind of extension available for this.

Settings -> Users -> Add New User.

Each user has its own cookies and history and such, so you can have multiple accounts open that way. The drawback to this is that you can't combine the windows.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

Prize Loser posted:

Settings -> Users -> Add New User.

Each user has its own cookies and history and such, so you can have multiple accounts open that way. The drawback to this is that you can't combine the windows.

So it's basically the same as the incognito trick (stuck with two windows instead of two different tabs) except now it at least has cookies, which is a huge plus.

Thanks for that, I'll probably end up using it this way.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm getting an annoying bug in the current public (18.0.1025.168) version of Chrome. Whenever I click on a link from an external source like an IM the link will open in a new tab in my current Chrome window, but it will also open a new window that goes to my default page. Is anyone else getting this behavior?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is anyone else missing the link preview popup (in the lower-left-hand corner of the browser window) when they hover over a link? It used to show the URL of a link I had my mouse over but now it only shows up when a page is loading. I'm running the latest Dev release, version 20.0.1123.1 dev-m.

Edit: Oh hey, someone else reported the same issue

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 2, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Karthe posted:

Is anyone else missing the link preview popup (in the lower-left-hand corner of the browser window) when they hover over a link? It used to show the URL of a link I had my mouse over but now it only shows up when a page is loading. I'm running the latest Dev release, version 20.0.1123.1 dev-m.

Mine is also gone. I want it back!

Ganon
May 24, 2003
That preview is essential to avoid being goatse'd.

vacuity
Sep 9, 2005

Arrath posted:

I'm getting an annoying bug in the current public (18.0.1025.168) version of Chrome. Whenever I click on a link from an external source like an IM the link will open in a new tab in my current Chrome window, but it will also open a new window that goes to my default page. Is anyone else getting this behavior?

I get a very similar behavior, but for me it only loads the link in a new window instead of a new tab. It's really annoying since IM/IRC are what I use the most, and copy/paste all day is tedious. I'm using the same version, 18.0.1025.168, but this has always been Chrome's behavior and one of the things that kept me on Firefox for a long time. Is there a way to fix this?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

EDIT: Nevermind.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So a new TIMG problem appears. I disabled the extensions, and it worked for a few days, but now this:

When I expand a picture it does... that, and the blue button is all out of place.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Chrome is still being really sluggish on my Mac. Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem (typing this on Firefox).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FISHMANPET posted:

So a new TIMG problem appears. I disabled the extensions, and it worked for a few days, but now this:

When I expand a picture it does... that, and the blue button is all out of place.

This problem has been happening on-and-off all day to me too. I think one of the SA tech guys was in the middle of debugging it or something.

EDIT: Bonus picture! :haw: