Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

If you're joking I don't get it, so I'm going to take you literally.

c is "cents" and HEB is a texas-based grocery chain.

Yeah, I was serious. I always write cents as ¢ or $.xx and someone posted about Kroners just after so I thought HEB might have been something European.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
As long as you're not re-enacting Pink Flamingos I'd say your chicken sins waver a bit on the lighter side.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I pay around 100 DKK per kilo /~$8 per lb for my chickens. They're tasty, and farmed in a way I can live with. I'm not a fanatic or hugely knowledgable about the mathematics of poultry farming, but even I can see that there's something wrong with chickens costing less than red onions.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It is quite difficult being poor, though. I agree with other posters that cheap chicken is bad, in a variety of ways, but it's very hard to resist when you're loving broke and want some chicken.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I'm broke 90% of the time and if I have a choice between $0.77/lb chicken and $2.99/lb free range organic happychicken, I'm gonna pay the $0.77.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
The economics of meat production is why I'm still a vegetarian after 30something years. If you're so broke that $2.22 makes a significant difference, fine do what you gotta do. But it's still bad news.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Wanted to share this but wasn't sure with whom so here ya go. I suppose it's cooking-related cuz the oven is horrible but yeah. Thanks for letting me vent, GWS :glomp:

click for irritated letter to a poo poo landlord!

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

sweat poteto posted:

The economics of meat production is why I'm still a vegetarian after 30something years. If you're so broke that $2.22 makes a significant difference, fine do what you gotta do. But it's still bad news.

That's $2.22/lb, so for a single 3-4 lb bird, that's a $6.66 - $8.88 difference. $7 or $8 is an extra meal for the week.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Mass production of foodstuffs, (especially livestock) is in general, "a bad thing". It's wasteful for starters, as obviously not all food produced is consumed. I don't know what happens to items past their sell date in most grocery stores, but I imagine that it just gets tossed. And in the case of animals raised for slaughter you have the added bonus of very often inhumane living conditions and shortcuts up, down and sideways that harm the animal and in general return an inferior product.

And that sucks.

However, that is a trade off with living in most modern societies. Would this whole planet be a better, cleaner place if every person grew their own vegetables and raised their own animals for food? Most likely. Is that feasible for most city dwellers working a 9 to 5 and raising 2.5 kids (IE average American)? Not so much.

I would love to have a plot of land where I could have a decent garden. If I had that, I could grow probably most if not all of the vegetables I would consume. And if I had a house, that might be an option. But I don't have a house or a yard. And I certainly don't have the space to raise chickens, or pigs, or cows. And if I did have the room, I certainly don't have the time for dealing with anything other than plants. I already have a full time job.

So, yes. I buy supermarket meat, and I go for the most reasonably priced items I can. I'm part of the problem. But I can't think of a solution that wouldn't involve a world wide change in attitudes and production methods that wouldn't be the result of a major catastrophe.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CzarChasm posted:

But I can't think of a solution that wouldn't involve a world wide change in attitudes and production methods that wouldn't be the result of a major catastrophe.

The solution is to treat meat as an occasional treat that is worth paying a bit extra for, rather than the main constituent of every meal. It sucks, but there it is.

And I say that, fully cognisant of the fact that I am a massive hypocrite!

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you have no kids and may be sterile from years of radiation exposure it's easy to gleefully light your smokes on the burning pyre of sustainable agriculture.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Thing is not only is it not going to get better it's going to get dramatically worse. Currently 40% of land is used for grazing cattle. Demand for meat is forecast to rise something like 50% over the next 50 years. Something's got to give.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That's why governments secretly want obesity to rise. Fattening people up nicely, so their meat will be marbled and delicious.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I think the solution is to ban all meats but pork, and convert all public lands into oak forests for them to frolic in.

We also must collect their poop and send it to Australia so that they can cope with Bartertowns' growing energy demands.

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

"Hello. Would you like some food?"

"Depends. Is it organic, non GMO, free range, antibiotic free, pesticide free, non-Monsanto perennial seeds, locally sourced, sustainable, cruelty free, dye free, gluten free, HFCS free, and humanely killed?"

"Uhhh...not sure?"

"No thanks. My morality will nourish me."

Mass production and GMO/RoundUp resistant/etc put a lot more food on the plates of people like this. If we outlawed mass production of foodstuffs, the resulting scarcity and price hikes would starve, literally, perhaps billions.

Rich people problems...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

i shoot friendlies posted:

"Depends. Is it organic, non GMO, free range, antibiotic free, pesticide free, non-Monsanto perennial seeds, locally sourced, sustainable, cruelty free, dye free, gluten free, HFCS free, and humanely killed?"

"Uhhh...not sure?"

Mass production and GMO/RoundUp resistant/etc put a lot more food on the plates of people like this. If we outlawed mass production of foodstuffs, the resulting scarcity and price hikes would starve, literally, perhaps billions.

Rich people problems...

That combination of a starving kid, and your first world rendition, plus your obvious usage of that kind of argumentation in a discussion about food quality and life quality for animals is downright offensive, idiotic, moronic and pisses me off to a degree that is rarely achieved by the internet.

You are treating the subject of world hunger without the respect it deserves by demeaning it to something that you have the right to pull into a discussion about loving poultry prices.

What the gently caress!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Forums user "i shoot friendlies" suggests you adopt his approach: Every time you prepare any meat, make sure to do so in such a dangerous way that you are bound to give food poisoning to everyone who eats it. Sufficient repetition will set up an operant conditioning mechanism that will reduce meat consumption by 100%!

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

There is also the fact that it is a red herring. People who are starving are not starving because there is not enough food. They are starving because it is cheaper to let them starve than provide for them. They are starving because of the fundamental moral bankruptcy of the global north, and because we just don't care.

viva revolucion or whatever

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

i shoot friendlies posted:

"Uhhh...not sure?"

Rich people problems...

Absolute loving bullshit argument.

fakeedit - HH said it better.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I Shoot Friendlies, you dummy, advocating buying ethical meat doesn't mean that non ethical meat production will stop nor does it mean poor people will now starve harder.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Hey ISF? The chat thread generally has expanded boundaries for acceptable posting, and PXJ and I try not to do much in the way of moderation here. Most everyone seems happier with that arrangement most of the time.

In the spirit of that congeniality, I'm going to simply say publicly that your post was significantly over the line in both abject stupidity and condescension, and you should probably consider not making posts like that in GWS again. Ever.

Also, everything Happy Hat said.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Soooo, what is everyone doing this weekend?

I'm going to a gallery opening tonight, and on saturday cleaning my crackden of an apartment.

Then sunday, going to a friend's bday/pig roast. Pretty excited about that.

Hopefully my liver doesn't enter shutdown!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
That's really strange, because I am going to spend Saturday night building an oven in which to roast a pig...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I just gotta say, the argument that people are starving because there isn't enough food is the most ridiculous loving suggestion. also that somehow we need factory farming to create a surplus of food???? my god. it's mass production that is going to implode our food system, not artificially raise it to a point of abundance where some kid in africa can have all the foie gras he wants.

I mean I've been to plenty of places in the world where you see giant hydroponic plant growing operations using inordinate amounts of water (in the goddamn desert, even - israel, I'm looking at you) to create vegetables that are shipped off halfway across the world because rich white people will pay crazy prices for tomatoes or peppers or whatever, while the farmers basically can't even afford to buy the produce they themselves are growing because of the economics of the situation. and they're loving starving!

anyways, everything HH + pr0knevergoesbad said.

go watch 'we feed the world' - it was a pretty good documentary, and with no crazy hippy agenda. poo poo is just hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH72ssqdhXI

actually everyone go watch it who hasn't seen it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Halalelujah posted:

Hopefully my liver doesn't enter shutdown!

That sounds like my weekend. Beer dinner with friends tonight, including a few really rare beers. Saturday brunch with the family, then I'll spend all afternoon/evening cooking beets for a secret project. Beet cooking always brings out my inner Russian, so there'll no doubt be some vodka involved in the process. Sunday I've got a sour beer tasting with friends likely to include 10+ year old stuff from some of the best breweries in Belgium, accompanied by cheeses designed to pair with such beers. If the alcohol doesn't make me comatose, the resulting jihad of gut fauna from introducing multiple strains of brettanomyces, pediococcus and lactobacillus will probably make me wish it had.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I've had a friday to suit my rock'n'roll lifestyle: assembling IKEA furniture for the pit of despair my girlfriend calls an office. How she's managed to stuff that much poo poo into one 9' by 6' room without rewriting the laws of physics, I'll never know.

Tomorrow, though. Tomorrow, there will be food and drink in large amounts - good thing, too, as I'll be spending sunday enjoying the benefit of a girlfriend with a huge family: yet another family party where I'll be seated at a table with two geriatrics, three little kids and a distant cousin of hers that I have absolutely nothing to talk about with, being served the cheapest catered food available and having to wear a monkey suit and be nice and smile for 7 hours. And I'll be driving since my girlfriend has a shoulder injury, so I can't even get sloshed.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'll get sloshed for you at the church wine tasting on Sunday, then.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
On sat I'm doing an 8k marathon with my wife for brain cancer survivors,then playing some disc golf, then working.

Sunday is sleep in day, followed by making a feta cheese cake with date topping and I have 4 red cabbages I'm probably gonna braise (thinking veg stock, balsamic, bay leaf, scallions, garlic and black pepper). Then I'm going to a Durham Bull's game where hopefully I can convince my wife to go to a hole-in-the-wall Cuban place I haven't been to in forever.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Went out for drinks with the knuckleheads last night after my fever broke, got eight hours of sleep, going to work today, then my folks come up to drop off a bunch of pig for a pig roast I'm holding tomorrow in advance of my birthday on Monday. My neighbor who agreed to let me build the oven in his yard has gone from quiet skepticism of my project to muted enthusiasm, which is remarkable, considering his general misanthropy.

All I have to do is not get trashed between now and 9pm Monday, and I will avoid having another blackout birthday. God save us all.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
God damm Charlotte has some disappointing grocery stores. I assume there is something better in the burbs but it seems kind of ridiculous to drive out of the city to find better stores.

In somewhat related news, my love of mustard-based bbq sauce has reached new heights. There is a new bbq place about to open by my office, i have very high hopes.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Halalelujah posted:

Halifax donairs and a free, day-long Kathleen Turner movie marathon!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

bunnielab posted:

God damm Charlotte has some disappointing grocery stores. I assume there is something better in the burbs but it seems kind of ridiculous to drive out of the city to find better stores.

In somewhat related news, my love of mustard-based bbq sauce has reached new heights. There is a new bbq place about to open by my office, i have very high hopes.

This is pretty much an epidemic in all of NC. I wish you luck. :)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Halalelujah posted:

As long as you're not re-enacting Pink Flamingos I'd say your chicken sins waver a bit on the lighter side.
I was OK with most of that film, including the chicken loving. The scene barely lasts like a minute. But then they had that singing (literal) rear end in a top hat. That was a bit much.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

Halalelujah posted:

One of my friends has a birthday and some of us are going out to dinner. Next weekend my girlfriend and I are celebrating our anniversary and she just got a new job, so celebration times ahoy.

No Kathleen Turner marathon is complete without Serial Mom.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CzarChasm posted:

Mass production of foodstuffs, (especially livestock) is in general, "a bad thing". It's wasteful for starters, as obviously not all food produced is consumed. I don't know what happens to items past their sell date in most grocery stores, but I imagine that it just gets tossed. And in the case of animals raised for slaughter you have the added bonus of very often inhumane living conditions and shortcuts up, down and sideways that harm the animal and in general return an inferior product.

And that sucks.

Depends on the store. If a grocery store has a prepared foods section, a lot of times then, the fresh produce and meat go into the kitchen to be turned into product/extend shelf life with cooking. After that point, if things don't sell...then they get thrown out. That's what I've seen in my few years of cooking in grocery stores.

And if they have a hot food buffet, then anything that reaches the sell by date that's been cooked can still be served that day on said buffet. That's what we do at least where I work/what Giant Eagle does.

And my Saturday has consisted of not being able to sleep for whatever reason. And then I get to be at work from 3:30-11 tonight. And I work the next 4 days in a row. 6 days straight of work. Then I have Thursday & Friday off this coming week to go to Cleveland to see Rammstein! :black101:

On that note! I asked before, but I forget. Cleveland goon(s)! Any recommendations for food that's open late between the Quicken Loans Arena and NE Lakewood? My friend and I are gonna stay at the Days Inn there cuz it's cheap. And the show starts at 8, and it'll probably go til at least 10:30.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 28, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Manuel Calavera posted:

Depends on the store. If a grocery store has a prepared foods section, a lot of times then, the fresh produce and meat go into the kitchen to be turned into product/extend shelf life with cooking. After that point, if things don't sell...then they get thrown out. That's what I've seen in my few years of cooking in grocery stores.

And if they have a hot food buffet, then anything that reaches the sell by date that's been cooked can still be served that day on said buffet. That's what we do at least where I work/what Giant Eagle does.

I remember when grocery stores didn't do this, and it makes my head hurt. :(

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

bunnielab posted:

I think the solution is to ban all meats but pork, and convert all public lands into oak forests for them to frolic in.
Pigs produce a variety of delicious meats and oak forests are pretty so I am totally okay with this.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Can you get pig veal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Suckling pig is a thing.