Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, if the City Conquest game is a scam they put a lot of effort into it. There's a bunch of updates going into pretty good detail about the mechanics and whatnot. Over-reacted a little, I think. Still, someone out there seems to have kicked in like 8k for the game, so cheers to them I suppose. I'd get it myself, but it needs an iPad 2! Ah, well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

NINbuntu 64 posted:

You can pledge anonymously, I think.

I'm pretty sure the backer totals are always accurate. The game does seem to have two 4,000 dollar pledges though.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah, if the City Conquest game is a scam they put a lot of effort into it. There's a bunch of updates going into pretty good detail about the mechanics and whatnot. Over-reacted a little, I think. Still, someone out there seems to have kicked in like 8k for the game, so cheers to them I suppose. I'd get it myself, but it needs an iPad 2! Ah, well.
True but stuff like that makes me wonder if someone is like, trolling and plans to pull their pledge out at the last minute.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Valdis Story only has another two hours so now's the time to get in on it.
I never actually looked at this earlier in the thread, apparently. It is like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night meets Diablo 2 for the PC! I am tempted! Plus, "Endless Fluff" plus all the cat iconography suggests that this is like Crazy Cat Studio, which is clearly a project worth supporting.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

I never actually looked at this earlier in the thread, apparently. It is like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night meets Diablo 2 for the PC! I am tempted! Plus, "Endless Fluff" plus all the cat iconography suggests that this is like Crazy Cat Studio, which is clearly a project worth supporting.

I just missed it, apparently. Aah well, it's not like they needed my money; hopefully it turns out well and I can buy it on Steam this summer.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I would 100% have backed Republique had they announced a PC version from the beginning. It's obvious they tagged the PC/Mac version on to get more money and they're pretty halfhearted about it. The lead dev guy is so obviously enamored with having this game on the iPhone and becoming a legit developer by releasing a big budget video game n the platform that I can't see anything else being important to him.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
For those of you on the fence about the LSL remake, now might be your time doonate.

Of course, this isn't a new game, but it does have the potential to add enough new content to make it worth playing even if you aren't really interested in replaying through the first one again.

LSL Kickstarter posted:

So, here's the easier one: at the $550,000 level, we will be maxing out the game responses along the lines I suggested in my video update. Tons more jokes, tons more responses for clicking on screen features, dialogue trees, inventory-on-inventory messages, and more story! We’ll load every existing nook and cranny with extra content because, as Al pointed out to us, the original was “kinda thin” on that.

Now, here's the big one: at the $650,000 level, we're doing something that will change the face of Larry forever (if only!): we're adding a new location, new puzzles, and a new girl with her own storyline! Is this the infamous female character that Al was forced to cut from the original 1987 version of Leisure Suit Larry 1? Or am I just making that up entirely to add a sense of mystery? Your guess is as good as mine!

The Kickstarter needs an aditional 120k to reach this goal.

Dragonrah fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 28, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Saoshyant posted:

I kid you not: I immediately pledged. Absolutely loved the video. Shame, though, it won't happen. It's impossible to reach that goal with so little time left and nobody knowing about this project. And this is why the Kickstarter fad for game development won't become a serious alternative to create games any time soon; unless you are a big name, the media won't tell people about your project and, without people knowing about your project, it won't get enough funding. There will be a few exceptions to this, but in the long run this will apply to nearly every project.

vvvvv not to mention it takes far more money to develop for every different, little Android model.

Check the Updates tab - the games will still be released.

That's gotten me thinking. Has any game Kickstarter ever threatened 'if this Kickstarter fails, this game you like will never be released/rereleased EVERRRRRRRRRRRR'?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

BiggerJ posted:

Check the Updates tab - the games will still be released.

That's gotten me thinking. Has any game Kickstarter ever threatened 'if this Kickstarter fails, this game you like will never be released/rereleased EVERRRRRRRRRRRR'?

Nekro

quote:

If the kickstarter does not go through Nekro cannot happen. This is the unfortunate reality of the situation. We will not be restarting the kickstarter for a lesser amount and the game will not be coming out 'one way or another' as many seem to think.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/343838885/nekro/posts

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I'm funding my video game development out of my own pocket at the moment, but I'm going to have to pay an artist and music/sound engineer soon (I already have people lined up and they aren't really expecting big dollars but I want to reimburse them to a decent degree).

I've been selling my old games and video game consoles on eBay to save up money to do this. I'm in Australia so I'm not even able to do a kickstarter, has anyone heard anything about the alternative https://www.pozible.com.au ? It seems a lot more heavily moderated. I doubt I'd have any trouble getting an invitation to start a project on there, but I literally only just discovered them today and wondered if anyone had heard much about them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SupSuper posted:

I was thinking of stuff like Spellcasting 101 and Leather Goddesses of Phobos. Boy text adventures were one hell of a drug. :v:

Here is my tragic story.

Back when I was a kid I was a HUGE fan of Sierra and Lucasfilm adventure games (still am to this day) and when I graduated sixth grade, I got a small scholarship for getting the highest English scores in the school. I immediately decided to spend that money on a new adventure game, and an older relative told me that Spellcasting 101 was amazing. "It's kind of like Larry but there's wizards and fantasy stuff", he said. I bought it and it was the biggest disappointment of my young life.

(and it's not that I didn't like text adventure games, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a favourite even back then and I loved the later Legend games but jesus christ Spellcasting 101 was terrible)

Saoshyant posted:

I kid you not: I immediately pledged. Absolutely loved the video.

Me too, dude made loving Shadowgate and Deja Vu! I played those so much as a kid, plus I love Sherlock Holmes even if it's a cheesy second grade Sherlock Holmes. What a bummer it won't happen :(

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 28, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Der Shovel posted:

Me too, dude made loving Shadowgate and Deja Vu! I played those so much as a kid, plus I love Sherlock Holmes even if it's a cheesy second grade Sherlock Holmes. What a bummer it won't happen :(

Again: reading is fun and informative.

"The Sherlock Holmes Kickstarter's most recent update posted:

Q: If the campaign doesn't reach the goal, what is the fate of dear Dr. Watson?
A: I tried my best to be up front that this campaign was NOT about funding or kickstarting (heh) my company (I mean, $55,000 doesn't go very far). In fact, the amount wouldn't be enough to pay taxes on the pledges. It was about getting others involved and on the game team and getting the games released in a timely way. We will continue to work on these mysteries and release them as we are able.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.indiegogo.com/YenYurki

Huh.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yen Yurki

An adventure game about Asperger's.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Heh, that's genuinely pretty funny.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Megazver posted:

Huh.

Concerning one statement in their description: Captain Tying Knots.

Edit: Although that particular fundraiser doesn't mention it, how common is it for fund-raising developers to, as previously mentioned, have NO experience with hiring people to work on a game, and thus likely have no idea what to look for in a sound guy/graphics guy/etc., how much to pay, etc.?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 28, 2012

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
It seems that making a humorous pitch video doesn't work that well if you're not Schafer. Sherlock game is one example (good to know that they will make the games anyway) but also those two:

http://www.indiegogo.com/Bearstronauts

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brokenbulb/ninja-warz

Neither is having much success. Although it might also have something to do with the games themselves.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Mq posted:

It seems that making a humorous pitch video doesn't work that well if you're not Schafer. Sherlock game is one example (good to know that they will make the games anyway) but also those two:

http://www.indiegogo.com/Bearstronauts

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brokenbulb/ninja-warz

Neither is having much success. Although it might also have something to do with the games themselves.

Bearstronauts was all humour and no gameplay. In fact, the only thing I know about Bearstronauts at all is that it's a side scroller.

Ninja Warz though? While there are funny moments, the guy delivering the pitch is terrible. He seems bored with everything going on around him and not in a way that compliments the absurdity of the situation. Once again, there's no gameplay, and the only in-game asset looks terrible, mostly because of Unity's terrible default toon-shader.

On top of that? It's an unknown company asking for money, but they have some really nice offices and don't really give the impression that they need money. Plus "PUBLISHERS ARE EVIL" is getting really old in pitch videos. It makes you seem whiny, rather than somebody committed to making a game.

edit: And for gently caress's sake, what is with everyone saying what engine they're using in the pitch video? I'm using Unity, but I highly doubt that what I'm using to streamline my development process is very interesting to potential investors.

NINbuntu 64 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 28, 2012

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Quarex posted:

Endless Fluff are neat, and I'm excited for Valdis because of it.

Their last game, Legend of Fae was a nice different take on the Match 3/Puzzle Quest mechanics, in which they actually adapted it and added in a bunch of new features, rather then just do what everyone else does and try and generic copy paste the same basic structure.

Sounds like Valdis will do the same things, but with Metrodvania style games rather then Match 3 style games. Legend of Fae had some flaws to it, and their take didn't work as well, but it was nice to see people actually trying to mix things up.

MaverickEX
Mar 18, 2012

Mug posted:

I'm funding my video game development out of my own pocket at the moment, but I'm going to have to pay an artist and music/sound engineer soon (I already have people lined up and they aren't really expecting big dollars but I want to reimburse them to a decent degree).

I've been selling my old games and video game consoles on eBay to save up money to do this. I'm in Australia so I'm not even able to do a kickstarter, has anyone heard anything about the alternative https://www.pozible.com.au ? It seems a lot more heavily moderated. I doubt I'd have any trouble getting an invitation to start a project on there, but I literally only just discovered them today and wondered if anyone had heard much about them.

Does IndieGoGo or 8BitFunding work in Australia? Those might be options for you.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

MaverickEX posted:

Does IndieGoGo or 8BitFunding work in Australia? Those might be options for you.

IndieGoGo does, and I think RocketHub does too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Has anything on Indiegogo ever succeeded?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Davincie posted:

Has anything on Indiegogo ever succeeded?

Yes, but you'd probably have better luck with RocketHub, especially if you can get the exposure to the project. I was scoping IndieGoGo out as a funding source and it's extremely rare for things like game projects to secure funding past $5000 - $7500.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Megazver posted:

Huh.

I'm sure glad I didn't have access to Kickstarter when I was 11.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Small update on "Mythic" thing that seems to obviously be a scam -- at this time I can 100% confirm it is.

Mythic's Facebook page uploaded an album entitled "Work is Fun," ostensibly pictures of the fake studio's "offices."

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.332078996858232.75760.327096030689862&type=1

Well, unless they are secretly Burton Design Group, these are not their offices. They couldn't even take original pictures of fakes offices, they had to rip them off. Here's where they stole their "offices" from:

http://www.burtondesigngroup.com/studio/

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I was going to report this to Kickstarter but there doesn't seem to be a "this project is a scam" choice.

Maybe if enough of us message kickstarter we can get them busted.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Overemotional Robot posted:

I was going to report this to Kickstarter but there doesn't seem to be a "this project is a scam" choice.

Maybe if enough of us message kickstarter we can get them busted.

I used the "this is not a project" option, since technically it's not.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

octoroon posted:

I used the "this is not a project" option, since technically it's not.

Where is that? I can't find anywhere to directly give feedback on a project.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
It's at the very bottom of the Kickstarter page. I also ended up using the "this is not a project" choice.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Good catch, octoroon. Here's an example. All they did, literally, is crop it the photos.

And just to have it.

Hilarious.

edit: Link to the Kickstarter, just to have it in on this page. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/273246798/mythic-the-story-of-gods-and-men

Strenuous Manflurry fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 28, 2012

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Overemotional Robot posted:

It's at the very bottom of the Kickstarter page. I also ended up using the "this is not a project" choice.

Gosh that link is no where near as prominent as it should be. Thanks!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BiggerJ posted:

Again: reading is fun and informative.

Yeah, dude: I'm bummed the dude doesn't get the 55 000 dollars. I'm sure he could've used it.

Also, remember that Leisure Suit Larry charity drive that one guy was doing? Where he played the first 7 Larry games while accepting donations for charity? The one the Larry remake guys advertised? It just got shut down for a "DMCA violation". Way to go, Twitch.tv.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, dude: I'm bummed the dude doesn't get the 55 000 dollars. I'm sure he could've used it.

Also, remember that Leisure Suit Larry charity drive that one guy was doing? Where he played the first 7 Larry games while accepting donations for charity? The one the Larry remake guys advertised? It just got shut down for a "DMCA violation". Way to go, Twitch.tv.

Well, aren't the Larry remake guys only licencing the IP? It wouldn't surprise me if Activision shut down the stream.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is there a way to contact people on KS? I want to tell all the backers on Mythic they are being had and the comment section is backer only (I can't believe they even allow that option)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Al! posted:

Well, aren't the Larry remake guys only licencing the IP? It wouldn't surprise me if Activision shut down the stream.

If they are literally remaking the entire first game, then they likely own more than just the IP at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if they have full publishing rights to the franchise.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.

macnbc posted:

If they are literally remaking the entire first game, then they likely own more than just the IP at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if they have full publishing rights to the franchise.

They're just licensing the IP from Codemasters. They have the license to remake the old Larry games, but not publishing rights to make any new ones.

I'm a bit confused on the Consulting Detective Kickstarter. It's iOS and board game ports of the 20 year old CD Adventure game? I mean, that sounds kind of cool in theory (I still have the old game!) but I'd think they would have much more traction if they were more focused on just one of the areas (just the iOS port) or were committed to remaking the series with new actors.

The originals were pretty hokey, and I can't imagine there are a ton of people like me who were attached to it.

(E: I see now that the board games are just rewards and have nothing really to do with the game releases. Still, it's not structured very well.)

TheHock fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 28, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Alan Smithee posted:

Is there a way to contact people on KS? I want to tell all the backers on Mythic they are being had and the comment section is backer only (I can't believe they even allow that option)

It's loving shameless is what it is. I just posted this in the GBS thread:

The hole gets deeper.

Those concept pictures of their "amazing game world"? Both stolen from here.

Someone needs to start contacting someone before these shameless motherfuckers literally steal 80 000 dollars or how much they were asking for.

http://www.mythicthegame.com/concept-art.html it's all there too, with the creators' watermarks cut out. loving shameless.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

It's loving shameless is what it is. I just posted this in the GBS thread:

The hole gets deeper.

Those concept pictures of their "amazing game world"? Both stolen from here.

Someone needs to start contacting someone before these shameless motherfuckers literally steal 80 000 dollars or how much they were asking for.

http://www.mythicthegame.com/concept-art.html it's all there too, with the creators' watermarks cut out. loving shameless.

Their facebook page just went down too. The last thing he said? "I was the production director at Burton Design Group before leavving to start my own adventure"

riiiiiight.

I'm not worried about Mythic to be honest, since they won't reach their funding goal (least I hope not). But what if they had set their sights a bit lower, say $5000? Anything in the 4 figure range seems retardedly easy to achieve on KS and the like. That's what I'm concerned about. Even a con man has to be creative with his pitch to fool that many people into giving him $10K-$100K, in which case society kinda rewards people of his ilk anyway so he's "earned it" in a perverse way.

It's these hit and run guerilla scams that people have to vigilant about since you can use a new fake name and put together some new bullshit pitch about "wow killers" and "Call of Duty without publishers"

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 28, 2012

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Someone should pledge a dollar and post in the comment sections, if it doesn't go through, you dont get charged a buck.

I would, but my Kickstarter is about to go live...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

LumberingTroll posted:

Someone should pledge a dollar and post in the comment sections, if it doesn't go through, you dont get charged a buck.

I would, but my Kickstarter is about to go live...

there's still about 42 days left. I'm confident it won't make it but if it did I would feel soooo dirty (plus minimum is 5 bucks)