Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

CantDecideOnAName posted:

This chicken has the most beautiful feathers. I must have stared at that pattern for a good two minutes. Does anyone know what kind of chicken she is?

Is little Napoleon growing on you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
That's the one that my mom says might be Americana/mix. I can't remember any of their breeds.

As I've said repeatedly, I'm fine with the chick. I was not happy about having to spend a day I'd planned doing nothing putting up with this small creature that I don't know how to help out, and that really affected my attitude.

So in a word, yes.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

That's the one that my mom says might be Americana/mix. I can't remember any of their breeds.

As I've said repeatedly, I'm fine with the chick. I was not happy about having to spend a day I'd planned doing nothing putting up with this small creature that I don't know how to help out, and that really affected my attitude.

So in a word, yes.

let the chick snuggle on your shoulder, she'll love leaning against your neck :3:

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

Chido posted:

let the chick snuggle on your shoulder, she'll love leaning against your neck :3:

She hasn't grown on me that much.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Nothing says 'I love you' like chicks poopin' all over ya.

Don't worry when it dries it brushes off a treat!

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

luloo123 posted:

This chicken has the most beautiful feathers. I must have stared at that pattern for a good two minutes. Does anyone know what kind of chicken she is?

It's an Easter Egger. I have chicken the exact same color and pattern named Hawkie.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

She hasn't grown on me that much.

Yet. That fuzzy butt will steal your heart, or force you to snuggle her with her annoying peepeepeepeep. :3:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

My broodies are such assholes now...

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
Broody hens are always assholes. They hate everything that might possibly hurt their eggs, which is pretty much everything in the world. They are angry, hate-filled creatures. Its cute and hillarious.

jenelle
Mar 3, 2007
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
Cantdecideonaname, that is a cute little chick! Is she less lonely now that she's grown up a bit?

Mine are huge now, and so feathery. It's amazing how fast they grow in just a few weeks. The little jerk chick is a total sweetheart now, and they all come running over to the window when they see us. I got a server box from work so they have lots of space to flap and run around. I also built a little roost out of some scrap 2x2 lumber. They like to roost on it sometimes, but still mostly sleep in a chicken pile on the ground. We've been feeding them cooked egg bits, dried mealworms, and tried some strawberry pieces but they turned their beaks up at them. The spring hatch of moths came early this year so that is a treat for them. The moths don't fly into their box often but we catch and toss them in. Fluff momma (the big light brahma) is an expert moth hunter now, and she struts around peeping loudly when she's got one wiggling in her mouth. It's adorable, a bit cruel to the moth, but adorable.

Two weeks ago:

Today (crummy cell photo):

Most of the debris in the box is from a dirt clod we gave them just last night. They LOVE scratching them to bits and getting at all the little roots and bugs inside but it makes a huge mess. We have little birds now instead of just babies.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I saw some chickens up close in person and I :aaa:'d irl because I could not believe how massive this particular hen was. I am talking Roostroyer sized hen, and it was definitely a hen. Unless there are roosters that look like hens. Is there some breed of massive chicken that I don't know about?

No pictures because they were behind a fence and fence photos always look like crap.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I was at the family farm up in Vashon, WA, and snapped a few pics of my dad's beloved flock.

The main flock is a mish mash of Faverolles, Wyandottes, Welsummers, two virtually identical Barred Rocks, and Marilyn, our 9yr old Polish, who is the 'guard hen'. I mostly guessed at the breeds from the old hatchery order in the barn, but neither my dad nor my uncle particularly care about knowing what breeds they have. They just like certain chickens for their personalities, which is very :3: for two gruff old farm men.

This is our main roo, named Louis the 16th, as all of our roos have been named for their always present potential to lose their head. This Louis mostly just gets called the Bastard or the rear end in a top hat for his behavior; he's a Bad Roo. He fights with the hens for choice food, doesn't break up fights or watch for danger, and hardly even crows, even with a neighboring roo and two other resident roos. Regardless, my dad has a soft heart and won't pin him to the chopping block, despite the name, so he stays. I'd like to know if anyone has any guesses at his breed, though, since he's a beautiful rear end in a top hat.

There are actually two flocks on the farm. The main flock lives in the horse paddock in a sizable enclosed chicken yard, and the free range flock roams the grounds during the day and is cooped up in the horse barn at night. The free range flock is mostly made up of chickens that were either pushed out of the main flock by the Bastard or Ruebens the dominant hen (RIP), or chickens that the neighbors (who raise bantams and OEGB) didn't want.

Which is how we ended up with Tiger and Batman.

Here they are running gaily across the yard, with their stupid long OEGB legs. We also have a hen of the same breed, Cloud, but she's skittish and shy. Both of these boys, but Tiger especially, had been mercilessly handled by the neighbors young girls, so they're tame and resigned to their fate of being constantly messed with.

Here's Batman with Red Seth and Carlotta, the two old exiles from the main flock. Seth used to be the dominant hen in the main group until Reubens beat her out, but she remains queen of the free rangers. Always the most ready to mob you for food. These guys get a lot more attention and food from Dad because he's treated their wounds from the flock and he considers them the 'underdogs', though at this point they're spoiled silly.

All our chickens get daily fresh fruit and veggies, and mealworms as an occasional snack. The main flock has enrichment items in their yard, a choice of two coops and a rain shelter for WA's weather. Everyone gets regularly dusted for mites, given Teramycin for any wounds, and even taken to the vet, which would have been unheard of back in my childhood. All this from my father who supposedly hates taking care of things. :3:

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Captain Foxy posted:

I was at the family farm up in Vashon, WA, and snapped a few pics of my dad's beloved flock.

This is our main roo, named Louis the 16th, as all of our roos have been named for their always present potential to lose their head.

Have you ever actually seen Louis move? I'm convinced that he's just a bunch of chicken parts glued together and stuffed.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

If you scare him, he runs like a terrified walrus. Wings out, hysterical clucking, waddling furiously.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Captain Foxy posted:

They look hilarious, the legs are just so :3:

They remind me a bit with their legginess of German Langshans:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

They're OEGBs as far as I know, since that's what the neighbor breeds, but they may be mixed with some other banty variety. She keeps only bantams, which is loving cute.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Captain Foxy posted:

They're OEGBs as far as I know, since that's what the neighbor breeds, but they may be mixed with some other banty variety. She keeps only bantams, which is loving cute.

Oh, I wasn't saying they might be a different breed, just that the long legs reminded me, mainly as I like how :3: they look and want some GL myself in the future!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

They're stupid cute, yes :3:. And they really kind of just go limp when you pick them up, aside from resigned peeping. It's resolved my GF's decision that she needs a house bantam someday. I'd like a Sebright, personally.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Captain Foxy posted:

Which is how we ended up with Tiger and Batman.

Those are the freakiest chickens I've ever seen! The long legs are so weird-looking!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

I'd like a Sebright, personally.

Get them, please. So you can tell us all about how grumpy they are and I won't desperately wish for them when we settle down. :3: They're so pretty.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Holy crap! I think the Sebright is the breed for me! It's like a pen-and-ink drawing has come to life! Amazing!

Photo of a Sebright below:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Inveigle posted:

Holy crap! I think the Sebright is the breed for me! It's like a pen-and-ink drawing has come to life! Amazing!

Photo of a Sebright below:

Feh. Silver Sebrights aren't as awesome as Golden Sebrights:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Feh. Silver Sebrights aren't as awesome as Golden Sebrights:

Truth. This is what I'd get, or a Mille Fleur, Belgian d'Uccle or something else ridiculous. My dad rolls his eyes at me for suggesting these breeds to him, so it'll have to be my own project someday, when I have a house.

It's really funny to me how the two banty boys are much better roos than Louis. Tiger in particular; he guards 'his' hen, Cloud, and finds food for her, and crows mightily at the slightest possibility of a threat. Batman is more laid back, but spends more time with Seth, the head hen, so he may actually be the head roo of the free rangers, who knows.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Kerfuffle posted:

I saw some chickens up close in person and I :aaa:'d irl because I could not believe how massive this particular hen was. I am talking Roostroyer sized hen, and it was definitely a hen. Unless there are roosters that look like hens. Is there some breed of massive chicken that I don't know about?

No pictures because they were behind a fence and fence photos always look like crap.

What color was the hen? Could it be a Jersey Giant? I know they come in two colors: black and white, and they are the biggest chickens in the world. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/BJG/BRKBJGs.html there you can see pictures of JGs.

Edit: Pfft, sebrights? Get one of these chickens, it's the chicken version of keeper! http://youtu.be/JUhc5YZZjTY

Chido fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 27, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Chido posted:

What color was the hen? Could it be a Jersey Giant? I know they come in two colors: black and white, and they are the biggest chickens in the world. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/BJG/BRKBJGs.html there you can see pictures of JGs.

Edit: Pfft, sebrights? Get one of these chickens, it's the chicken version of keeper! http://youtu.be/JUhc5YZZjTY

Definitely it. It was the black variety. :) Thanks.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chido posted:

Man, I love Roo as much as the next chicken thread poster, but the idea of feathers on feet icks me out for some reason. There may not be more poo poo on them or anything but there's just something about it. And keeping them clean seems harder.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Man, I love Roo as much as the next chicken thread poster, but the idea of feathers on feet icks me out for some reason. There may not be more poo poo on them or anything but there's just something about it. And keeping them clean seems harder.

Fear not, you can get the same round chicken with featherfree feet. I just saw a picture of an orpington bantam and oh gawd it's so fluffy!!!

http://www.orpingtonbantams.co.uk/pics/gl_pull5.jpg

Also, NWS chicken sitting... Roo has no shame :mad:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c36/moralgriever/chickens/SDC11572.jpg

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Get one of these chickens, it's the chicken version of keeper! http://youtu.be/JUhc5YZZjTY

What kind of chickens are those? The thundering herd of spherical, fluffy chickens waddling over to meet their owner was hilarious. :D

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I think they are bantam cochins, but I'm not sure. I just know they are adorable :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chido posted:

Fear not, you can get the same round chicken with featherfree feet. I just saw a picture of an orpington bantam and oh gawd it's so fluffy!!!

http://www.orpingtonbantams.co.uk/pics/gl_pull5.jpg

That's not a wyandotte or a sebright mix or some sort? Those feathers are really super bold. :3: But look at that fluffy little thing.

jenelle
Mar 3, 2007
Jersey Giants look so huge in pictures! They were on my list but I chose the pretty birds/eggs over the giant ones. I would love to have big brown eggs someday though.

My little peepers are so big. The Miller moth hatch gets worse every day, and we fed them about 15 huge ones that we caught fluttering around the house last night. A couple days ago Fluff Momma was the only one who could catch them, but once I took her out and let the other ones have a fair chance they all ate some. They grow SO fast it's unbelievable. I can tell the difference just over a single night sometimes. Some comparison shots from two weeks ago to last night:

Fluff Momma:

Hazel:

Alita:

Sweetie:

They have the greatest personalities. Sweetie is still a darling, Alita has changed from a cheeping monster to a nice lap bird, Hazel was a sweetheart but now barely lets me hold her, and Fluff Momma is daring and always the first to try out new treats. I'm going to start coop construction this weekend and might make a little tractor to get them out in the grass sooner. We have big dogs in the neighbor's yard and a 30 year old fence so free ranging is out of the question for now. Thanks to all of you for this entire thread - it's what made me believe I could have chickens in my yard :3:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Jenelle -- All of your chickens are adorable. I laughed at the photos of the chicks in the box looking out the plastic window as their flockmates got their photos taken. Alita and Sweetie are total cuties.

jenelle
Mar 3, 2007

Inveigle posted:

Jenelle -- All of your chickens are adorable. I laughed at the photos of the chicks in the box looking out the plastic window as their flockmates got their photos taken. Alita and Sweetie are total cuties.

Yeah they do NOT like missing one of their flock mates. If I hold any of the little ones for too long the big white one will cheep out the window looking for her. They also don't seem to understand that the window is impassible from the outside. None of them try to escape out of the box through it, but damned if they don't try getting back in that way. I like to think they are smart when they catch a bug or sit on the roost without being shown how but I know it's all an illusion.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Inveigle posted:

What kind of chickens are those? The thundering herd of spherical, fluffy chickens waddling over to meet their owner was hilarious. :D

Yup Bantam Cochins, adorable balls of fluffy personality.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

My chicks are 2 months old now! They've been living outside for two weeks and have handled temps from ~80 down to near freezing. They don't look like chicks anymore, though they still sound like them most of the time (unless they are pissed at me, then they make grown up chicken noises).

Easter Egger 1:

Easter Egger 3:

Easter Egger 5:

Silver Laced Wyandotte 4:

Being held for an idea of the change in size:

jenelle
Mar 3, 2007

Ceridwen posted:

My chicks are 2 months old now! They've been living outside for two weeks and have handled temps from ~80 down to near freezing. They don't look like chicks anymore, though they still sound like them most of the time (unless they are pissed at me, then they make grown up chicken noises).

Easter Egger 1:

That's a handsome looking bird! I love the beard :3:

I do wonder how long it takes for their adult voices to start working. Yours are a month ahead of mine so I get a preview. Did they have any trouble going outside in the cold?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

jenelle posted:

That's a handsome looking bird! I love the beard :3:

I do wonder how long it takes for their adult voices to start working. Yours are a month ahead of mine so I get a preview. Did they have any trouble going outside in the cold?

Yeah, the beards are super cute. That one was the only chicken that would stay still outside (the others all ran back to the outside of their coop).

By 5 weeks they were making the occasional chicken noise. Now they seem to make chicken noises about 30% of the time and chick peeping the rest of the time. Not sure what age they will stop making chick noises.

They've done great with the cold. The first couple of weeks they were out it was 60s during the day and upper 40s at night, with one weekend of really warm temps. They've dealt with rain and wind and last night temps got near freezing and they still did fine. The first night I had to lock them in the coop because they were confused and tried to sleep in the corner of the run. After that they started putting themselves to bed as soon as it started to get dark and coming out into the run as soon as it got light in the morning. The only other night I've locked up the coop so far was last night (because it was colder than usual). They were pretty fully feathered by the time I put them out at 6 weeks though, which might vary some depending on breed. I'd been dropping the temps in the basement room they were in for a couple of weeks before they moved outside, and leaving the door to the outside open most of the day for the last week to prepare them.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

How long does chicken feed keep for, assuming it is kept dry? I’m thinking those big plastic storage bins with the lid. Since I’m within the city limits of Boston, I don’t have a nearby feed store. The nearest one is about 20 miles away. I sold my car last fall, and while I do have Zipcar, I would rather not have to use it every 2 weeks, since it would cost $20 each trip. Can I buy 3 months at a time? Sort of a related question, are there places online that you can order from that would be reasonably competitive with a local feed store?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think I'll buy some plastic sheets and make a chicken shelter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

I think I'll buy some plastic sheets and make a chicken shelter.

I hope you're being a bit facetious because chickens need more than just a roof.