Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

sharkytm posted:

Um, pictures beg to differ.

Those are clearly used as outerwear :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Maybe not a failure yet, but one in the making:

I can only imagine what that's doing to that car's suspension.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
It is if it had air suspension. :pseudo:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Landerig posted:

Maybe not a failure yet, but one in the making:

I can only imagine what that's doing to that car's suspension.
Hey ma, I'm goin scrappin in your car, the truck is broke down again.

\/\/\/
I bet the car isn't coming back from the scrapper.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 26, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Is it just me or is the sheetmetal itself sagging? The bumper and taillights look way, way off. Maybe it's a reflection, but it looks like the RR door is buckling a bit too.

Crack is bad folks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm pretty sure those ratchet straps are pulling the bumper trim panel closer to the body and I don't think anyone stupid enough to strap that much scrapmetal to a loving sedan would own a vehicle with any straight body panels in the first place :haw:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I forgot I had this. See if you can see what happened.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That's why you should always use a wagon for carrying outsized loads

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

B4Ctom1 posted:

I forgot I had this. See if you can see what happened.

Crankshaft's broke.

E: Is this that 351c Mustang(?) engine that grenaded and split in half all the way around the water jackets but looks fine at first glance?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Terrible Robot posted:

Crankshaft's broke.

E: Is this that 351c Mustang(?) engine that grenaded and split in half all the way around the water jackets but looks fine at first glance?

I think that's forums poster Contraband's father's car. I was a little surprised how quickly it got mended until I saw the lower half of their house, which is entirely made up of garage space and machine shop. Most AI dad ever.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

Crankshaft's broke.

2nding broken crankshaft snout. Distributor in front and blue paint everywhere so probably a Ford.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
the filename is fiveoh_broken, both parts of that point toward it being a Ford :haw:

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

General_Failure posted:

The current going rate for a new tensioner seems to be about $350.

It's just a pulley on a lever with a spring to keep the belt tight, right? Why is it so expensive? Even if there isn't really much of a demand, seems like something that could be easily made by an aftermarket company for $25 and sell for $100.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Australia.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Coasterphreak posted:

Australia.

Qft.

The parts market is a real racket here. Roughly a 10x markup on the same parts available in the U.S. seems pretty common. Like the needle and seat I got for the Holley carb in the VW. I think that was about $35-$40. Probably $150+ each for brake discs for the Fairlane. Set of not terrible pads about the same. Like most cars I own, parts are slowly being replaced where possible with fabricated / industrial parts because gently caress the parts scam. By the way if anyone knows where I can get a new steering rack U joint can you give me a heads up? I think it's actually the last part left in the front suspension untouched form when we got the car a few years ago.

In the near future I hope to get to clean out the garage so it can be used. There are some nice mechanical failure keepsakes lurking in there that I haven't disposed of yet. I think I posted my failed ACVW head collection a while back. Or maybe that was on the Samba. If someone with a better memory than I can confirm or deny I'll post them and make anyone considering a late baywindow bus reconsider their options.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Found these. They are from several years ago. My brother had an acura that had a slight motor problem. Eventually it ran again, then was sold. 3 motors later.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Terrible Robot posted:

Crankshaft's broke.

It was a 306 that saw just a tad too much spray. Yes crank is broken. Engine amazingly would crank, but without any cam movement it was for not.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

I think I posted my failed ACVW head collection a while back. Or maybe that was on the Samba. If someone with a better memory than I can confirm or deny I'll post them and make anyone considering a late baywindow bus reconsider their options.

Forums hint: If you click the little ? at the bottom of a post in the username/avatar column, it will show every post in the thread by that user. :science:

And yes, your first post in the thread was a couple of really unhappy VW heads.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Boat posted:

Forums hint: If you click the little ? at the bottom of a post in the username/avatar column, it will show every post in the thread by that user. :science:

And yes, your first post in the thread was a couple of really unhappy VW heads.

Holy poo poo that's useful! Thanks for enlightening me.

Looks like I only posted pics of two of them.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Cracked guide. Lightly bent valves to suit as well (not shown)
edit again: Correct photo now.

Two dropped seats on this one.

This seat was so worn the valve was recessed enough not to open.

Another loose seat.

Might have posted this one.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 28, 2012

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
2012 Kia Sedona with less than 1,200 miles. No other damage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bang Me Please posted:

Goodbye CV Joint. We knew thee well

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Looks like someone read http://www.ag.auburn.edu/users/parmega/articles/neon/ and tried it on the wrong car

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Bang Me Please posted:

No other damage other than having to clean all that up. Yech, CV grease is the WORST.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Beach Bum posted:

No other damage other than having to clean all that up. Yech, CV grease is the WORST.

I'd rather get covered in moly grease than cooking oil :colbert:. I didn't get that bit of olfactory weirdness that makes people retch upon smelling molybdenum disulfide, though.

McZargalds
Mar 10, 2007
Over 75 Million Earthlingburgers Sold
Oh just one of those pieces you don't want to break when you're driving around.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EightBit posted:

I'd rather get covered in moly grease than cooking oil :colbert:. I didn't get that bit of olfactory weirdness that makes people retch upon smelling molybdenum disulfide, though.

It smells? :psyduck:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

It smells? :psyduck:

News to me.

Really nasty old engine oil and gear oil has me heaving though. When I changed out the VWs 30 odd year old jet black water thin fluid that used to be GL4 hypoid oil at some point in the past I was really struggling.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
I think burnt ATF is the worst thing I have ever smelled.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Suniikaa posted:

I think burnt ATF is the worst thing I have ever smelled.

You'd hate me. last year I was dumping ATF into the carb on the VW to find the source of a running issue. I probably stunk out half the town. The wind was blowing away from my house so it didn't matter.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

McZargalds posted:

myworstnightmare.jpg

Christ...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

dustywusty posted:

Christ...
At first glance, I thought it was an axle, and was like "so", then realized its a tie rod...

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.

Micromancer posted:

Looks like someone read http://www.ag.auburn.edu/users/parmega/articles/neon/ and tried it on the wrong car

That is loving amazing.
I read this part like 5 times:

The entire Mopar Action staff flogged the Neon mercilessly, but we couldn't break it (yet). The high (low?) point came when "Crazy" Eddie Yeznaian, intrepid rally racer and wildebeest extraordinaire, actually power-braked the car to the floor, cut the wheel to the left, and hit the nitrous in reverse. Nothin' like nitrous doughnuts after a hard day at the office! (Since this was done in the rain, does that make it Dunkin' Donuts?) If you can imagine what it must be like to be trapped in a spinning top at 200 RPM, you get the idea. Where are the air-sickness bags for this ride? H-E-L-L-L-P!

After the second full 10 pound bottle of nitrous had been greedily half-guzzled by the motor, we decided to go for broke before it was empty. We slipped in the killer 150HP jets. Is this sick, or what? We more than doubled the stock HP output! Jeeez! 13.82 @ 102mph. The motor took first gear launches at 2000RPM with cylinder pressures that should have shot the plugs through the hood, and exhaust gas temps that were slightly hotter than the surface of the sun.

Could the Neon go faster? And, mainly, would the converter stay in the transaxle, or launch like a Saturn rocket and slice our legs off at the knees? (And, do they rent hand-control Neons?) For our last runs of the day, we leaned out the fuel jet for only 5% excess fuel and stuck our guinea pig editor, Cliff "Pleeeeease don't blow the motor, guys!" Gromer behind the wheel. For his first duel, Cliff matched himself up with an automatic Mustang GT at the track. The pony car came out of the shoot even with the Neon, and pulled ahead by the 300-ft mark. The Neon, now in second, gets juiced by Gromer. Result? Like taking candy from a baby. Cliff's little rent-a-PL was so far out on the 'Stang that he was able to back off in third, turning a 14.15 at 96.7.

Later, in an impromptu street run from a 10mph roll-on, Cliff, the sick puppy that he is, hit the horn button in first gear, right on the "3" count, the 2-liter Twinkie motor screamed for mercy, the tires spun all the way through first gear. We were fender to fender with a fast 440-6 Challenger R/T. He ripped his piston-grip to second, but we pulled ahead. Clifford boiled the tires big-time into second gear, allowing the R/T to pull alongside. The Neon mini-motor wound tight-right to the rev limiter. Did Cliff lift? Did he back off? No chance! Ka-boom! A glowing three-foot fireball barked out of each side of the hood, and rolled back over the windshield. Cheeez! This actually caused the R/T driver to lift, but not Cliff! Wow. Say goodbye to Neon.

We pulled over, fully expecting to see rods hanging out of the block. Surprise. Only the airbox is blown apart. With the leaned out fuel system and the motor running so far into the rev limiter that the stock injectors were shut completely off, we musta floated the valves and backfired through the intake system. The motor was running a little rough (a slight understatement) and we're sure we bent at least one valve, or, more likely, blew the head off of a couple. Guess we should have followed Mark's rules (see sidebar). Needless to say it was the best $19.95 we ever spent. We gassed the Neon back up and limped back to the ever-smiling counterperson.

Thanks, Thrifty.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mutt2jeff posted:

That is pro as gently caress.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

BlackMK4 posted:

Or its a lovely wheel and equally (unevenly) crappy tire.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Or its a lovely wheel and equally (unevenly) crappy tire.

I'm pretty sure it's a joke. Just look at all that weight. Might as well strap a cat to the wheel.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

At first I thought I was looking a a caliper

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

eberbs posted:

That is loving amazing.
I read this part like 5 times:

The entire Mopar Action staff flogged the Neon mercilessly, but we couldn't break it (yet). The high (low?) point came when "Crazy" Eddie Yeznaian, intrepid rally racer and wildebeest extraordinaire, actually power-braked the car to the floor, cut the wheel to the left, and hit the nitrous in reverse. Nothin' like nitrous doughnuts after a hard day at the office! (Since this was done in the rain, does that make it Dunkin' Donuts?) If you can imagine what it must be like to be trapped in a spinning top at 200 RPM, you get the idea. Where are the air-sickness bags for this ride? H-E-L-L-L-P!

After the second full 10 pound bottle of nitrous had been greedily half-guzzled by the motor, we decided to go for broke before it was empty. We slipped in the killer 150HP jets. Is this sick, or what? We more than doubled the stock HP output! Jeeez! 13.82 @ 102mph. The motor took first gear launches at 2000RPM with cylinder pressures that should have shot the plugs through the hood, and exhaust gas temps that were slightly hotter than the surface of the sun.

Could the Neon go faster? And, mainly, would the converter stay in the transaxle, or launch like a Saturn rocket and slice our legs off at the knees? (And, do they rent hand-control Neons?) For our last runs of the day, we leaned out the fuel jet for only 5% excess fuel and stuck our guinea pig editor, Cliff "Pleeeeease don't blow the motor, guys!" Gromer behind the wheel. For his first duel, Cliff matched himself up with an automatic Mustang GT at the track. The pony car came out of the shoot even with the Neon, and pulled ahead by the 300-ft mark. The Neon, now in second, gets juiced by Gromer. Result? Like taking candy from a baby. Cliff's little rent-a-PL was so far out on the 'Stang that he was able to back off in third, turning a 14.15 at 96.7.

Later, in an impromptu street run from a 10mph roll-on, Cliff, the sick puppy that he is, hit the horn button in first gear, right on the "3" count, the 2-liter Twinkie motor screamed for mercy, the tires spun all the way through first gear. We were fender to fender with a fast 440-6 Challenger R/T. He ripped his piston-grip to second, but we pulled ahead. Clifford boiled the tires big-time into second gear, allowing the R/T to pull alongside. The Neon mini-motor wound tight-right to the rev limiter. Did Cliff lift? Did he back off? No chance! Ka-boom! A glowing three-foot fireball barked out of each side of the hood, and rolled back over the windshield. Cheeez! This actually caused the R/T driver to lift, but not Cliff! Wow. Say goodbye to Neon.

We pulled over, fully expecting to see rods hanging out of the block. Surprise. Only the airbox is blown apart. With the leaned out fuel system and the motor running so far into the rev limiter that the stock injectors were shut completely off, we musta floated the valves and backfired through the intake system. The motor was running a little rough (a slight understatement) and we're sure we bent at least one valve, or, more likely, blew the head off of a couple. Guess we should have followed Mark's rules (see sidebar). Needless to say it was the best $19.95 we ever spent. We gassed the Neon back up and limped back to the ever-smiling counterperson.

Thanks, Thrifty.

Every time I hear Nitrous or NOS now, all I can think of is retard-ism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Every time I hear Nitrous or NOS now, all I can think of is retard-ism.

Do you ever wonder why the other kids never invited you to their birthday-parties?