Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

nippon nifties posted:

Holy poo poo no one's making you watch them. No one's propping your eyes open Clockwork Orange-style and blasting you with twelve 30 minute videos until you're free to post about Minecraft again. What is wrong with you people that a post every couple of days compiling new Minecraft video links is enough to make you poo poo your pants and demand that it gets removed from your sight instantly and shunned into a separate thread ?? Yeah he went overboard with the spoilers and the headings maybe but he's admitted it and is toning it down.

I just cannot understand all this hate. Jesus Cr*sto
But it interrupts our fresh discussion of the ending being bad and Notch being a bad coder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Hey guys we can go back to two posts discussing the new snapshot every week. Seriously no ones making you watch the vids just ignore it if you don't care and the argument about the videos being the same thing proves you haven't watched them because they've tried something different nearly every time.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

So, how much writing can you put into those books anyway? For those of us not playing the snapshots, anyone got a screenshot of what reading a book ingame actually looks like?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I didn't even realize there was a new snapshot. I've just been scrolling past those awful video posts on the hunt for post that have screenshots of stuff people have built.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

Tengames posted:

So, how much writing can you put into those books anyway? For those of us not playing the snapshots, anyone got a screenshot of what reading a book ingame actually looks like?

They can be up to 50 pages in length, with up to 256 characters per page and no more than 13 lines per page.
All the info on them at the moment, including screenshots, can be found on the "Book and Quill" page on the minecraft wiki.

Aussie Dingbat fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 29, 2012

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So can someone explain to me why writable books has been one of the holy grails of Minecraft features for a while now? I completely don't get it. I mean, you'll never hear me complain about new features(except the End) that I have no interest in, but it just seems that every time the discussion turns to new features its "wheres my book writing, drat it" right at the top of the list. I'm just saying, I don't know if that features ever been requested of a game before...

Or is this one of those things I'll never understand being a numbers guy who doesn't get the big deal regarding this "words" and "writing" business.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

People want them for adventure maps.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

Viperix posted:

So can someone explain to me why writable books has been one of the holy grails of Minecraft features for a while now? I completely don't get it. I mean, you'll never hear me complain about new features(except the End) that I have no interest in, but it just seems that every time the discussion turns to new features its "wheres my book writing, drat it" right at the top of the list. I'm just saying, I don't know if that features ever been requested of a game before...

Or is this one of those things I'll never understand being a numbers guy who doesn't get the big deal regarding this "words" and "writing" business.

Well one of the possible uses is to cut down on the number of signs used on a lot of servers at spawn to explain the rules and mods used, etc. So now instead of having 100 something signs (I've seen it done on some servers, sometimes even more) they can just give you a "Newbie Book" that explains everything.

They'd also be useful in Adventure maps, which instead of using signs or "read Note1.txt" they can give you an in game book.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
How'd I not think of that. That's actually a really good, simple reason.

I feel dumb now.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Viperix posted:

I feel dumb now.

Maybe... read a book sometime :smug:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Viperix posted:

How'd I not think of that. That's actually a really good, simple reason.

I feel dumb now.

That's probably not the reason though. It's more like one of those things that seems cool on the surface but when they're implemented you see what little use they have, like wolves.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Viperix posted:

(...) but it just seems that every time the discussion turns to new features its "wheres my book writing, drat it" right at the top of the list (...)

Viperix posted:

(...)I don't know if that features ever been requested of a game before (...)

:confused:

Mainly adventure maps, I suppose, but really the applications are only limited by your imagination. Minecraft is a sandbox game. Having the ability to put texts in the game is awesome, because you can finally have bits of pieces explaining things without the need for tons of signs or external text files.

Also, it's really weird to be able to craft books but not to write in them for a lot of people so it's been on the "promised ages ago but never implemented" list for the longest time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I don't do a lot of adventure maps but they seem to have moved from "Read Note 1" signs to doing some crazy thing with maps as notes and I don't know if books will replace that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

nippon nifties posted:

I don't do a lot of adventure maps but they seem to have moved from "Read Note 1" signs to doing some crazy thing with maps as notes and I don't know if books will replace that.

I don't see why not. The books look like they'll allow WAY more room for text, and you won't have to use an external program to use them. I imagine the crazy map thing will become obsolete as far as notes go. I imagine it'll still be useful for putting pictures and hand drawn maps into adventure maps.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So there are some good reasons, I didn't even know about the map thing, that's kind of hilarious actually. As for books without writing, I always just figured for bookshelves and decoration.

My curiosity has been satisfied, you may now return to regularly scheduled Minecraft discussion - bitching about the End, bitching about Notch, and now bickering over UHC.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Yeah I was mainly thinking of pictures and whatnot but even if it does take a little more effort a map is a blank slate, whereas books will always look like books and you're limited to the text formatting Jeb decides to put in.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

So what are everyone's favorite CTM/"gather the wool" adventure maps? I've done Tenebrous Tales 1 (very fun) and Spellbound Caverns (a little easy, but fun) so far. I'm trying to do Lethamyr now and finding the whole exploration aspect to be pretty boring and the dungeon parts not very good. So I'm looking for a map in the same branching style as the first two I listed and strongly prefer one that includes alchemy and enchanting. The minecraft forums are awful so what do you guys suggest?

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

Mr. Peepers posted:

So what are everyone's favorite CTM/"gather the wool" adventure maps? I've done Tenebrous Tales 1 (very fun) and Spellbound Caverns (a little easy, but fun) so far. I'm trying to do Lethamyr now and finding the whole exploration aspect to be pretty boring and the dungeon parts not very good. So I'm looking for a map in the same branching style as the first two I listed and strongly prefer one that includes alchemy and enchanting. The minecraft forums are awful so what do you guys suggest?

Most of Vechz's stuff is pretty good, though you'd know that having played some, Legendary(#7) is probably my favourite of his Super Hostile series.
I also prefer to play adventure maps cooperatively with a mate or two.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Sunburn Islands was the only one I really enjoyed. Most of the maps really fall apart because of poor transportation and lots of backtracking, but for me the absolute kiss of death is the enormous, wide open caverns and poo poo that really just goes too wide. It feels like it loses all structure when suddenly you go from narrow dungeons with traps and placed spawners to a big hollowed out lump so big you can't even see the other side. Luckily Sunburn Islands only really has one area like this, as opposed to most others I've played.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

nippon nifties posted:

Yeah I was mainly thinking of pictures and whatnot but even if it does take a little more effort a map is a blank slate, whereas books will always look like books and you're limited to the text formatting Jeb decides to put in.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone finds out how to attach images to the books. But then again, I don't know how it works so maybe I'm wrong.
But using maps for images and books for text would be a neat combination for adventure maps.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Iacen posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone finds out how to attach images to the books. But then again, I don't know how it works so maybe I'm wrong.
But using maps for images and books for text would be a neat combination for adventure maps.

If by "neat" you mean "Chakron leaves copies of his latest masterpiece, goatse, all over the server" then yes, you've got it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

loving hell, I went and collected a bunch of cats so that I could breed them and when the bug is fixed set them as creeper guards, and I am so loving sick of just randomly having them fall on my head when I am underground mining. I just lost 6 to dropping out of the air into a pool of lava.

Lost two of my three colours, too. :(

Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

I, forums poster Chomplicated Man, am OK with a third thread dedicated to UHC shenanigans.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MikeJF posted:

loving hell, I went and collected a bunch of cats so that I could breed them and when the bug is fixed set them as creeper guards, and I am so loving sick of just randomly having them fall on my head when I am underground mining. I just lost 6 to dropping out of the air into a pool of lava.

Lost two of my three colours, too. :(

Yeah I lost two to that. I've found they actually warp to you less if sat on a chest then if you make them sit.

So I left my one remaining cat in Jamesoff's house so he can't open his chest.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Chomplicated Man posted:

I, forums poster Chomplicated Man, am OK with a third thread dedicated to UHC shenanigans.

I just want to point out that I saw 40 new posts in this thread in roughly the past 10 hours, and if you go back, you will see what those 40 posts are. And then I will point out the argument people were making about keeping the UHC discussion in here to keep this thread abundant with replies because apparently THIS is what they wanted.

And finally I will reiterate the only reason I suggested a separate thread for UHC was because I actually like the concept and feel it warrants its own thread away from regular Minecraft talk because people who don't play Minecraft might like it, and people who don't want to go back and forth between game talk and video talk might like a thread that's easier to navigate for discussion and updates with fewer assumptions on who has seen what (this is me).

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It seems kind of odd that they are going to be charging a new upper end XBLA price for the Minecraft port when the version they are going to be releasing is from way back in beta. You know, when the price was discounted for actually being a beta product. I probably sound like a cheap bastard, but there's an argument that perhaps 1200 MS points would have been a fairer price until it actually caught up with at least the features of 1.0.

Buying it anyway though, because eh.

Man, it's going to be like going back in time though. Watched some let's play footage of someone on a hacked 360 version and it's almost startling to think about so many basic things that have changed since the 1.6.6 that this is being based upon. No sprinting, food that doesn't stack, no pistons, no hunger bar or animal breeding, food being used as instant health potions.

I know there are often a lot of grumblings about various aspects of what was added to the game, sometimes with good reason *cough* the ending *cough* but seeing how much isn't going to be available at the start of vanilla Xbox Minecraft it's really going to feel like a totally different game for a while. But at least it'll be playable, unlike my current lovely laptop option.

11 more days and I'm there, got the points bought and set aside for it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"Hey, 67 new posts!"
*reads*
"gently caress everybody."

Parkingtigers posted:

11 more days and I'm there, got the points bought and set aside for it.

Right there with you, and I can play the PC (well, Mac) version just fine. I'm looking forward to how it's going to play on the 360, but especially with local and online MP. I have a few friends who haven't tried MC yet who are interested in checking this out (their pc's can't run it either).

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Not sure if it will change from the leaked versions, but I noticed in the videos that the lighting model looks to be a little odd. I guess it's based on the older version, but certainly the light propagation is really weird. I noticed that when blocks were broken that the particles flaking off were totally black.

I'll be down for some online hole-digging and bad cobblestone house building when it goes live. We should see about getting some release day adventures going and test the 8 player multi. I'm ParkingtigersX on Live if anyone here wants to get into it.

I'm looking forward to the pubbie rage when it is released. The comments when they announced the release date were all whining and bitching about how the game was already finished and that Microsoft was only holding it back for an extra month to make more money. Now I'm certain it's going to be tears about it not being comparable to 1.2 and gently caress you Microsoft for releasing it unfinished.

Consider the average member of the Minecraft community. Then consider the average Xbox Live member. We might be about to witness the breeding of new strain of awfulness never seen before.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Hey all, I haven't played in a very long time and trying to mine the official forums is just a mindbending experience..

A while back I had a couple of mods, one for underground ruins and the other for floating islands. Does anyone remember these? Are there updated versions for the current version of MC?

Also, I'm having a hell of a time spawning towns. Is there a trick to this other than using the superflat option?

Edit: Also, is that treecapitator mod still active? I've tried searching for it but didn't come up with anything. I loved the ease of cutting trees down. Magic.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 29, 2012

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
Not sure about the other stuff but you can try hunting down MoreVillages to force the spawn rate of villages to increase. I've created 10+ worlds recently with none in the spawn chunk, then installed that and BAM. You can set it to taste, 75% gave me urban sprawl.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Hey all, I haven't played in a very long time and trying to mine the official forums is just a mindbending experience..

A while back I had a couple of mods, one for underground ruins and the other for floating islands. Does anyone remember these? Are there updated versions for the current version of MC?

Also, I'm having a hell of a time spawning towns. Is there a trick to this other than using the superflat option?

Edit: Also, is that treecapitator mod still active? I've tried searching for it but didn't come up with anything. I loved the ease of cutting trees down. Magic.

All of those are in the yogbox. Well not sure about floating islands but ruins and treecap and others.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm ParkingtigersX on Live if anyone here wants to get into it.

Says that gamertag isn't valid. I copied/pasted, with no spaces before or after.

EDIT: Mine is Robot Cousin, if you just want to add me.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 29, 2012

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I can't wait for the 360 version to launch. I'm assuming that they completely rewrote the netcode (right?) so it will stop being a struggle just to get through a button-controlled door without snapping back inside for the first 5 attempts.

One thing that bugs me about splitscreen on HDTVs is that it's always split horizontally and you end up essentially blind to things above and below you. I often get ambushed by spiders camping on the roof of my houses so I really hope they give you the option to have vertical splitscreens.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Was looking for it myself the other day. Now its called "Timber"

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/119361-125-tehkrushs-mods-timber-updated/

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

beef express posted:

Not sure about the other stuff but you can try hunting down MoreVillages to force the spawn rate of villages to increase. I've created 10+ worlds recently with none in the spawn chunk, then installed that and BAM. You can set it to taste, 75% gave me urban sprawl.

This worked perfectly, thank you so much.

Jusupov posted:

All of those are in the yogbox. Well not sure about floating islands but ruins and treecap and others.

Howmuch posted:

Awesome, I'm going to go download it right now, thanks so much.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Hi, I'm whoring out my UHC server again; we're going to do a game today starting at 3pm CDT - exactly 4 hours from now. If you've played with us before you can just join any time after 3pm, and if you've not played with us but would like to try it out please post your in-game name in the Goonimati thread.

The server is at goonimati.com:31111.

oddeye
Jul 24, 2005

fondue posted:

Hi, I'm whoring out my UHC server again; we're going to do a game today starting at 3pm CDT - exactly 4 hours from now. If you've played with us before you can just join any time after 3pm, and if you've not played with us but would like to try it out please post your in-game name in the Goonimati thread.

The server is at goonimati.com:31111.

Yes! I was hoping you'd do one of these on my day off! I'll be there.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Howmuch posted:

That's a different mod. Treecapitator and DaftPVF's other mods are here, being maintained and updated by some other guy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to make Minecraft not pause itself when you tab out of it into another window?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Open your inventory / a chest / furnace / crafting table / etc.