Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Jamesman posted:

Is there a way to make Minecraft not pause itself when you tab out of it into another window?

I think someone said that if you open a chest that the game will keep running if you tab out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Parkingtigers posted:

I think someone said that if you open a chest that the game will keep running if you tab out.

You can just hit your inventory screen. I do that all the time.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Fondue, can you whitelist me? I guess it's been way too long since I've been on your server.

MC Name is same as SA name.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I hope someone's writing up those darned summaries...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Why won't this make my cart move?! I just want to put a cart on the track, flip the lever and ride my sky coaster :saddowns:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MeinGott posted:

Why won't this make my cart move?! I just want to put a cart on the track, flip the lever and ride my sky coaster :saddowns:

Because the cart needs initial momentum to be boosted. Have the start on a downward incline on the direction you want to go. :eng101:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DoctorWhat posted:

Because the cart needs initial momentum to be boosted. Have the start on a downward incline on the direction you want to go. :eng101:

Well what I'm really after is pushing a button and it launching the cart. Is what you said the only way to do that? This is my first foray into redstone stuff so I'm a bit lost.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If you put a block at the end you want the cart to launch from it will gain momentum in the other direction automatically.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
It worked and is awesome and fun!

Weeeeeeee! :woop:

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
I checked the version history on Minecraft Wiki but don't entirely trust it to have everything documented already, especially if it wasn't already noted by Jeb. So..

There's nothing in the new for the biome code in the new snapshot yet, correct? I'm wondering if I should pregenerate some terrain in MCedit on my super build level in advance (so that I don't get jagged edges between chunks) or prepare to move it to a new world.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

MeinGott posted:

Well what I'm really after is pushing a button and it launching the cart. Is what you said the only way to do that? This is my first foray into redstone stuff so I'm a bit lost.

In the past you could launch like that, but it was beta and they had a neat way of boosting carts back then.

I think you can put a piston at the end of the track connected to a lever that you can trigger to boost it from a flat piece of track onto an incline for acceleration.

Or, get one of the awesome cart mods out there.

===

Speaking of which, there's a cart mod out there that's really involved, like you can have self-track laying minecarts that can dig down in a direction as well.

Anyone heard of this?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

TyroneGoldstein posted:

In the past you could launch like that, but it was beta and they had a neat way of boosting carts back then.

I think you can put a piston at the end of the track connected to a lever that you can trigger to boost it from a flat piece of track onto an incline for acceleration.

===

Speaking of which, there's a cart mod out there that's really involved, like you can have self-track laying minecarts that can dig down in a direction as well.

Anyone heard of this?

Isn't that railcraft? Even if it isn't you can do the same with redpower frames.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

Jusupov posted:

Isn't that railcraft? Even if it isn't you can do the same with redpower frames.
Yeah, it's Railcraft. It's too bad it's plagued by a bunch of annoying poo poo like cresote oil and high-speed derails. You can config away most of it though.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Actually, as said earlier, it's really easy to launch a cart. Just place three powered rails, then build two blocks at one end of the powered rails, and put a button on the upper block. Then you place your cart on the powered rail touching the blocks, get in the cart, and press the button. Powered rails will always launch a cart as long as there is only one direction the cart can go.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Doniazade posted:

Yeah, it's Railcraft. It's too bad it's plagued by a bunch of annoying poo poo like cresote oil and high-speed derails. You can config away most of it though.

Steve's Carts is like Railcraft without the bullshit, just a whole bunch of recipies to remember.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Doniazade posted:

Whoa whoa, like creosote treatment type creosote? Do you have to build a specific pressure cooker to use it?

That's like Toady levels of detail right there.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Railcraft seems like it would fit the build but I think Steve's is what I'm looking for. There was a really good demo video set to some rail mod that showed auto digging minecarts that would make a nice graceful downward slope shaft automatically (dig out and rail placement) almost completely hands off. I think Steve's is the one that it comes from, but I can't be sure until I get home and actually install them.

I won't lie though, I love the tunnel borer. I'm a big time transit geek though, so it figures.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Whoa whoa, like creosote treatment type creosote? Do you have to build a specific pressure cooker to use it?

Yes and it's a pain in the rear end. Lessened if you automate adding materials but still. You also need another type of crafting table for the items and they produce/take odd amounts so you are left with extras always.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

TyroneGoldstein posted:

That's like Toady levels of detail right there.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Railcraft seems like it would fit the build but I think Steve's is what I'm looking for. There was a really good demo video set to some rail mod that showed auto digging minecarts that would make a nice graceful downward slope shaft automatically (dig out and rail placement) almost completely hands off. I think Steve's is the one that it comes from, but I can't be sure until I get home and actually install them.

I won't lie though, I love the tunnel borer. I'm a big time transit geek though, so it figures.

The tunnel bore would be perfect if it were faster and picked up the blocks it mined. As it stands, I have to sit around babysitting it every time I need to make a new tunnel.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Fren posted:

The tunnel bore would be perfect if it were faster and picked up the blocks it mined. As it stands, I have to sit around babysitting it every time I need to make a new tunnel.

That's where frames come in from redpower. Though this conversation is better suited for the modding thread.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Fren posted:

From what I understand the latest version allows you to hook a chestcart behind it to pick up what it digs out, so that's fixed at least.

Mind, it now takes a whole new material to build the tunnel borer that requires another massive construction like the coke furnace, but you have to take the massive pile of poo poo with the good sometimes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MeinGott posted:

Why won't this make my cart move?! I just want to put a cart on the track, flip the lever and ride my sky coaster

Here's my solution to the thing so you can have the track be a single circuit. Doesn't take any complex wiring or mods---aside from the two boosters, you just need a button and a single piece of raw redstone. Build a 2x1 divot as shown below, and put the boosters in it, wiring up the button to the first one you'll encounter when you enter the station. In this screenshot, carts travel from right to left on this track.

Cart positioning can occasionally be flaky when coming into this style of station at full speed, so you'll want to test to see what velocity you're entering the station at. For this to work, you'll want your cart's starting position (before you take off) and ending position (when you've done the loop and have reentered the station) to be on the first, downhill, powered booster, as shown below:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can I just say that it's really really annoying to build a big, working loop of rail/powered rail, just to have some jackass leave his minecart on the track? Not to mention if he leaves his cart on the track halfway between powered rails...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

entris posted:

Can I just say that it's really really annoying to build a big, working loop of rail/powered rail, just to have some jackass leave his minecart on the track? Not to mention if he leaves his cart on the track halfway between powered rails...

That's what you get for playing with others. :colbert:

How far apart are you placing your powered rails? I put mine roughly every 20 normal rails and that works pretty well so I don't have to worry too much about starting back up again in the middle of the track if I get derailed.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I just do solid powered rails with redstone torches under them.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stop saying creosote, it's making me think of Monty Python. And that Yoshi's Island commercial. Both of which are gross as hell!

So holy poo poo at today's episodes of UHC. Zisteau with balls bigger than the sun.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

ChibiSoma posted:

So holy poo poo at today's episodes of UHC. Zisteau with balls bigger than the sun.

Not to mention if he didn't take that fall damage getting there he might have won. Oh and if he'd got there a little quicker he would have killed him before he could make those arrows.

Also, since we're talking about it now, here are the links for today's episode for those interested:

Mindcrak UHC Season 5 Episode 3

1. GuudeBoulderfist
  2. PauseUnpause
  3. W92Baj
  4. VintageBeef
  5. EthosLab
  6. docm77
  7. KurtJMac
  8. BdoubleO100
  9. Pakratt
  10. Nebris
  11. just_defy
  12. Zisteau
What is Mindcrack UHC? Click here to find out.

Edit: Added links for those interest.

Aussie Dingbat fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 7, 2012

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Well that is a bit spoilery.

Parasytic
Jun 19, 2007

Feed me a stray cat.
Spoiler tags, please?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Is there an updated map?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well thanks for spoiling exactly what happens :thumbsup:

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Well that is a bit spoilery.

Parasytic posted:

Spoiler tags, please?

Internet Kraken posted:

Well thanks for spoiling exactly what happens :thumbsup:

Sorry, the general consensus before was that spoiler tags were redundant and silly, I've now edited them in, and will do so from now on. Of course, unfortunately, that won't help you now anyway, sorry.

Fren posted:

Is there an updated map?
Updated Map by Aubron.

Aussie Dingbat fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 1, 2012

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Aussie Dingbat posted:

Sorry, the general consensus before was that spoiler tags were redundant and silly, I've now edited them in, and will do so from now on. Of course, unfortunately, that won't help you now anyway, sorry.

Updated Map by Aubron.

The internet: no matter what you do, its wrong.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Aussie Dingbat posted:

Updated Map by Aubron.

Of course you're still spoilering episode 2 and it's really loving obvious which guys something interesting happens to.

So just leave out the summaries.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
All someone needs to do is post links to each video and I guess the map as well. I don't see why it took so much time to figure this out.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under
Understood, nothing but basic links here on out.

Edit: Removed wall of text

Aussie Dingbat fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 1, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Well that was certainly an abject failure of the previously godly "shitload of dogs" strategy.

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

Lycus posted:

Well that was certainly an abject failure of the previously godly "shitload of dogs" strategy.

It seems that dogs don't become aggressive unless you use melee or have it used upon you. Kurt had the same problem at the end of season 3.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Motherfuck. I found a mineshaft under the nearby snow biome, but the whole area is flooded due to gaps in the ocean floor and it's filled with the most randomized generation of dirst and stone. It's practically impossible for me to even get down to it, let alone explore it. :(

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

The way Guude went from normal Minecrafter mode to full on battle mode in complete silence was astounding to watch. What an adrenaline rush that must trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Just out of curiosity, did they ever give an answer on when they're going to sort out this clusterfuck of a mod system? This is one of the reasons I usually stay away from MC. Its just so horrible when it comes to mods.

I've got a total boner for Steve's Minecarts, but I can't seem to get them to work right even following the directions..that's neither here nor there though.