Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Colon V posted:

Could I get an account for the wiki? I'd like to help clean things up a bit. Final Fantasy: Tactics, for example, has several of the same bits of advice listed multiple times. It's kind of endearing, in a way, but not exactly easy to read.

There's a contributor account. Go to the help page on the wiki and it'll have the details there.

I have some questions about Mass Effect 3:

I've gotten to the mission named Priority: Cerberus Headquarters. The description says "Once the attack is launched, the Alliance will be fully committed to the final fight against the reapers. Assault when ready. I assume this means it's the point of no return mission?

My Total Military Strength is 5506, but my Readiness Rating is at 50%, since I haven't played much multiplayer, making my Effective Military Strength 2753.

I've read that to get the best ending you need 4000+ Effective Military Strength. If I'm about to start the final stretch, how am I going to make up the rest of the Effective Military Strength? I've done every side mission I've come across, and chased down a LOT of artifacts. I'm pretty sure I've done nearly every side mission that's available.

Is there a lot more Total Military Strength boosters in the final stretch of the game? Is this the final stretch of the game? Or am I mistaken about needing that much military strength to get the best ending?

Please - no commentary on how bad the ending is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Centipeed posted:

how am I going to make up the rest of the Effective Military Strength?

Multiplayer basically.
I think the tie-in iOS games can increase the War Readiness % as well, but playing a couple of rounds of multiplayer will do the trick.
Just make sure you level it up to 100% before you attend that final mission and you should be good.

EDIT: To clarify, if you've done all the sidequests and scanned all the systems, etc. up to this point, there won't be any assets left that will allow you increase your EMS. That said, a Maximum Strength of ~5600 will be absolutely fine provided your War Readiness is at 100% (which can be achieved by playing multiplayer games). You can also promote multiplayer characters to get more assets and increase your Maximum Strength, but by the time you've played enough to promote the characters you'll have your War Readiness multiplicator up to 100% anyway and your EMS will be at > 5000 so there's really no point to that.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 29, 2012

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Burning Mustache posted:

Multiplayer basically.
I think the tie-in iOS games can increase the War Readiness % as well, but playing a couple of rounds of multiplayer will do the trick.
Just make sure you level it up to 100% before you attend that final mission and you should be good.

EDIT: To clarify, if you've done all the sidequests and scanned all the systems, etc. up to this point, there won't be any assets left that will allow you increase your EMS. That said, a Maximum Strength of ~5600 will be absolutely fine provided your War Readiness is at 100% (which can be achieved by playing multiplayer games). You can also promote multiplayer characters to get more assets and increase your Maximum Strength, but by the time you've played enough to promote the characters you'll have your War Readiness multiplicator up to 100% anyway and your EMS will be at > 5000 so there's really no point to that.

Bioware said before release that it's possible to get the best ending without touching multiplayer. I guess I was asking if I'm able to do that, or if they were lying.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 29, 2012

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Centipeed posted:

Bioware said before release that it's possible to get the best ending without touching multiplayer. I guess I was asking if I'm able to do that, or if they were lying.

You can it just requires grinding absolutely every resource in the game and doing everything perfectly to get to 8000 total assets so that your readiness is 4000. Basically, its as close to a lie as possible without being one. Just go play multiplayer for a couple rounds selecting random location.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
Bayonetta.

I played this game for like an hour or two, then forgot about it for a month. Now I'm trying to play it again and it's absolutely wrecking me.

Is there any way to turn the difficulty down mid-game? Dying 10+ times to every encounter isn't fun when the load screen/cutscene skipping takes 2-3 minutes.

Also is there a way to lock my camera on a target? I think the camera is what I'm struggling with the most.

Also, any tips for the gameplay itself? So far, all fights for me more or less revolve around me running in circles trying to dodge, because getting caught by a single attack usually means death. I just kind of pray for Witch Time, get one combo in, then start dodging. I can't really foresee any other way to handle things since enemies just shrug off your attacks and swing through them, and only the final hit(s) of one of my combos does more than a tiny fraction of their health.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

tensai posted:

I know it's a simple game, but I just got Driver: San francisco on the cheap. I am having a hell of a time with the cop escape missions.

Use your jump ability to move into cars in front of the cops, slam into them, rinse repeat until there are no cops. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be impossible to legitimately escape them in any other way.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Bayonetta.

I played this game for like an hour or two, then forgot about it for a month. Now I'm trying to play it again and it's absolutely wrecking me.

Is there any way to turn the difficulty down mid-game? Dying 10+ times to every encounter isn't fun when the load screen/cutscene skipping takes 2-3 minutes.

Also is there a way to lock my camera on a target? I think the camera is what I'm struggling with the most.

Also, any tips for the gameplay itself? So far, all fights for me more or less revolve around me running in circles trying to dodge, because getting caught by a single attack usually means death. I just kind of pray for Witch Time, get one combo in, then start dodging. I can't really foresee any other way to handle things since enemies just shrug off your attacks and swing through them, and only the final hit(s) of one of my combos does more than a tiny fraction of their health.

If you're only an hour in, it might be worth just restarting on a lower difficulty.

Here are some tips to help you out, though.

*Don't spam dodge; pay attention to the enemies and dodge right before the attack connects. As long as you're not playing on hard mode, that'll send you into witch time and you can just pound on enemies in slow motion for a few seconds; it goes a long way towards making the combat encounters easier. In addition, dodging perfectly gives you magic power, which you can use for torture attacks that are either very high damage or instant kill.

Actually, learning how to dodge is pretty much the most important part of the game. So focus on that for a while.

*Hold down the attack button to extend your attack; if you have guns on your hands or feet, this will shoot them for a few seconds. If you're using something like the durga then it'll make a powerful explosion, and the sword will do a strong slash. Find a couple weapons that you like and play around with them; most people tend to gravitate towards the durga on the feet and the sword in the hands, but you might find something else.

*If you press start while a level is loading, then you can hang out in the training ground thing. It's pretty useful to stay there for a while and play around with the combos; once you stop button mashing and start thinking about your attacks, it gets a lot easier.

*There's no way that I know of to lock the camera on a target. I really only had problems with the camera when it would get caught on walls, but if you say you're having trouble then I believe you. It's worth noting that enemies don't (to the best of my knowledge) attack you from off screen, unless there's a super obvious audio cue for the attack. If you continue playing, you'll learn to pick up the various attack patterns and cues that all the enemies have, and it goes a long way towards making the dodging mechanic easier.

*You can always replay missions to get a higher ranking, and it's pretty easy to farm halos in the later levels. So if you're having trouble with one specific fight, don't be afraid to ram a couple lollipops down your throat to power through it, and you can just come back later to dominate it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What the gently caress is BIT.TRIP

I got BIT.TRIP Runner at a Steam sale a while ago and didn't know what the gently caress was happening, and I just got BIT.TRIP BEAT today. This is...pong? Where the better I do the better the music gets, but so flashy I can't tell what's going on half the time? What am I doing here? :confused:

Or is this something that I should just keep at that'll just make it all the more satisfying when I finally understand it after playing it for a while?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Wrist Watch posted:

What the gently caress is BIT.TRIP

BIT.TRIP games are terrible but you just keep playing because finally beating them feels so great.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Bayonetta.

Bayonetta is designed to be replayable. I'm pretty sure you can select which difficulty you play at whenever you select to play a chapter.

Barudak posted:

You can it just requires grinding absolutely every resource in the game and doing everything perfectly to get to 8000 total assets so that your readiness is 4000. Basically, its as close to a lie as possible without being one. Just go play multiplayer for a couple rounds selecting random location.

This is exactly what I ended up doing. Turns out I was forgetting about the war assets that are scattered around the galaxy but which are NOT tied to a mission.

Went and collected all of those with a guide, got my Effective Readiness up to 3800 or so, then played about 5 rounds of multiplayer to tip if over the edge.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Bayonetta.

Dying 10+ times to every encounter isn't fun when the load screen/cutscene skipping takes 2-3 minutes.

Right trigger plus select skips cutscenes without going into the menu.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
I just got given both Batman: Arkham Asylum and Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine and would be grateful for any spoiler-free (or at least spoiler-light) information to help get the most enjoyment out of both.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

EddieDean posted:

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Don't bust your braincells early on trying to reach those cracks along tall walls or in ceilings. You'll get a special tool to break them later.

Oh and don't Detective Mode all the time. It's tempting, but really takes a bite out of the visuals.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Centipeed posted:

The ending that requires the highest EMS is arguably not the best one (although it is the best out of a certain subset).

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Picked up a cheap copy of Rome - Total War, and was wondering if there were any rebalances or fixes I should install or look up for first time round?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum!

Anything I should know going in?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I picked up Warriors Orochi 3 last night on PSN, because I've got a horde-slaying itch to scratch. This is my first musou game since DW5, so I don't remember much besides 'kill mans, repeat'. Anything I should know to get the most out of this?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I'm not sure if this has been covered in other threads, but if not this seems like an appropriate place to ask:

I'd like to play Snatcher and Policenauts but I'm not really sure what my options are. Is this more or less impossible unless they get PSN ports or something similar?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

McKracken posted:

I'm not sure if this has been covered in other threads, but if not this seems like an appropriate place to ask:

I'd like to play Snatcher and Policenauts but I'm not really sure what my options are. Is this more or less impossible unless they get PSN ports or something similar?

Policenauts was never released with an English translation, however, their is a fan translation and very minor touch up translation patch made in part by Slowbeef. He has an ongoing LP of the game right now with links and/or just searching online for it should be enough get you started. It was made available on Japanese PSN recently if you want to go that route but that cannot be patched into English.

Snatcher on the other hand did receive a US release but you're going to have to contend with which version you'll want to play although the Sega CD version is typically regarded as the best one.

For both games keep in mind that while they nebulously adventure games they do have mandatory shooting sequences, there is no way to create an unwinnable situation, and many times the way to progress requires talking to everyone rather than solving a puzzle.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Awesome, thanks.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Thinking of getting UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold from steam, anything useful I should know?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Need some beforehand guidance on Witcher 2, Crysis, Risen and Batmman Arkham Asylum.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CommunistMojo posted:

Need some beforehand guidance on Witcher 2, Crysis, Risen and Batmman Arkham Asylum.
Everything that needs to be said about Asylum's on the wiki. Don't know about the others.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

CommunistMojo posted:

Witcher 2
Coughing Hobo has a heck on an OP in the Witcher 2 EE thread. First two posts have a ton of info, and you don't have to worry about spoilers.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just got Cold Fear for a dollar. Any advice for it?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

CommunistMojo posted:

Risen

Play as mage, it's most quest-rich path and gives access to most abilities - dodge the order patrols and gain recommendations from town commander and farmer mages, then volunteer at monastery.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

RB locks onto an enemy.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pyromancer posted:

Play as mage, it's most quest-rich path and gives access to most abilities - dodge the order patrols and gain recommendations from town commander and farmer mages, then volunteer at monastery.

Actually, while you should play as a Mage, you should maximize your early game EXP and do as many Bandit quests as you can. If you're into swords, be aware that the only trainer that can get them up to 10 is a Bandit-side exclusive, but you get access to him for a while in Chapter 1. If you're a total min-maxer you can scrounge up every last bit of LP and Gold you get and just blast it to 10 right there and then.

Always feel free to explore! You might get your rear end kicked, but that's half the fun of the game. Don't bother getting Lockpick higher than 2 if you're going Mage. And even if you aren't, think carefully about getting Lockpick 3 instead of just making a lot of open lock scrolls.

Berserk is the spell to go to for breaking the game wide open.

Never use stat-boosting herbs on their own, always save them for making the potions later, as they're universally better.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Centipeed posted:

The ending that Bioware considers to be the "best" becomes available to you at 2800 EMS, and is possible to unlock without increasing readiness. (Although you may need an import character to achieve some of the optimal solutions to some scenarios.) You're just a little short right now. A successful multiplayer game should get you over that threshold.

Many players do not agree with Bioware's perception of what the best ending is, and instead think the best ending is one that includes an extra scene at 5000 EMS. That is impossible to get without increasing readiness.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is there anything I should know before playing Penumbra: Overture? Or its sequels, for that matter?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MockingQuantum posted:

Is there anything I should know before playing Penumbra: Overture? Or its sequels, for that matter?

I wouldn't recommend playing Penumbra: Requiem. While the first two are horror titles, Requiem is instead a straight-up first-person puzzle game. You have unlimited flashlight, there are no enemies, and the plot is threadbare at best. It's not...terrible, and it is short, but if you're going to play it, make sure you know what you're getting into.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

ChetReckless posted:

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum!

Anything I should know going in?

When it comes to stalls (hamburgers and such) ignore the optional prices for condiments; actually when it comes to all the stalls you can get away with just plopping them down, I wouldn't bother with the micromanaging of their prices.

The NPC pathfinding is still iffy but not nearly as bad as previous installments.

The most fun out of the games comes from creating towering death machines. There's cheats in place where you can force all your visitors to ride every ride in your park. Of course you should probably only do this after you reach your park's goals.

Control Volume has a fantastic LP of the first game, and while there are changes between the different installments the general principle of park building remains the same. Not to mention you get to see him build some amazing things on a budget/goon challenges: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430034

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Don't bother with combat, it's designed to be extremely clunky and it requires near perfect timing. You're better off running or using stealth.

All the areas are self contained so don't worry about getting stuck because you left an item in an area an hour before or whatever.

The screen will flash orange whenever a checkpoint activates. You can use quick saves but I would recommend not doing so and only using the artefacts to save with, it makes the game much tenser and scarier.

For Black Plague the combat was taken out, so your only options are running for the most part. There are exceptions but you'll see what I mean when you get to it.

Finally, wear headphones and play in the dark. It's worth it, trust me.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Any advice for Infamous 2?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Starting Dead Rising 2 (Vanilla, on PC if it matters) soon, anything that's not already on the Wiki? I should note that I haven't played Dead Rising 1 either.

Artix fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 11, 2012

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

Just got Cold Fear for a dollar. Any advice for it?

Explode the heads of corpses whenever, wherever possible. Ammo is quite generous, enemies respawn. It's not a difficult game to grasp overall.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Any advice for Two Worlds II (PS3 version if it matters)? Grabbed this for cheap a couple of months ago, and finally am in a position where I think I have time to play it. It looks like given the amount of magic customization they let you do, that it would be a good path to go down, but if anyone else has any thoughts, would be happy to hear it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So awhile back when I was going crazy over Steam sales I bought BioShock but never got around to installing/playing it. Looking through my liobrary the other day I decided I felt like playing another FPS so I installed it, finally. Thing is, other than the fact that a lot of people liked it I know nothing about the game. So I guess this is just a general 'any important stuff I should know before diving in?' post.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

WarLocke posted:

So I guess this is just a general 'any important stuff I should know before diving in?' post.

Don't read spoilers and the best ending can only be achieved by saving every little sister.

Ah, and enemies keep respawning so sometimes it's best to save on bullets. Electric bullet on the shotgun will also save your butt quite a few times in the earlier hours.

e: Freeze + Wrench is a very cheap combo. Avoid overusing it unless you don't like fun.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WarLocke posted:

So awhile back when I was going crazy over Steam sales I bought BioShock but never got around to installing/playing it. Looking through my liobrary the other day I decided I felt like playing another FPS so I installed it, finally. Thing is, other than the fact that a lot of people liked it I know nothing about the game. So I guess this is just a general 'any important stuff I should know before diving in?' post.

The wrench is god and from it flows the power of the universe, to make and unmake creation as you see fit.

Photographing enemies gives you some rather nifty bonuses so don't hesitate to do so.

Electro-shock shotgun rounds destroy big daddies early on until you get more explosive weapons to deal with them.

Enemies annoyingly respawn so try and do everything quick quick quick unless you are wrenching it. In that case beat them to death as they deserve.

The machine gun is worthless

To get the good ending (and genuinely, a really sweet ending that makes sense unlike the others) you have to not kill a single little sister and save them all. While you get more immediate adam for killing the little sisters, you are given free tonics and adam as gifts at regular intervals for saving them thus negating any point to the choice since saving is just better.

There is an achievement that requires you to not beat the artist character to death the second you meet him. If you do beat him to death you get a tonic immediately, if you spare him and find him later you get other goodies. Beating him to death feels great and the rewards are negligible either way so I'd advise you go wrench crazy on his lovely, modernist face.