Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Woop, finished up the last couple details on my SCX10 tonight. Thanks to ColonelJohnMatrix for donating his RTR electronics to get it going. I'm SO glad I got this as a kit instead of the RTR. Putting it together was enjoyable in and of itself--I can see why people wish more stuff was available in kit form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nearly bought a losi micro crawler today - are they good fun on mulch/pebbly yards? It's BND too which pairs with my radio.

Girlfriend stopped me but that just means I won't take her to the store next time.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Glad you got the stuff Powderific, nice Dingo! Too bad we don't live closer, I'd be up for some trailing. Just wait til you get a drag brake esc/high torque motor in that thing.

Was the build smooth?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

had my first day on the circuit yesterday. it was a timed practice day (there is a inter-club meet coming up) so not full on racing but good fun nonetheless.

I ran VTA and 21.5 Touring Car (both on the same chassis, just swapping body and tires) and had a blast with VTA which seems a lot more laid back than TC. doing grid starts and the chaos that ensues is pretty fun, plus the cars feel and drive a lot more like real cars - under and oversteer, drifting and depending on what part of the track, wheel spins.

judging by some of the damage on my car I might have to pick a class to stick to as VTA rims on the front are going to force me to move my shock bottom mount away from the wheel. setting up suspension and the rest of it to compensate for the larger tires with less grip too.

I guess I will hit a few more practice days and then have a try at some real racing. my god it was fun though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everything went together pretty well, the only real issue I had was that a couple steps in the instruction are out of date. As I mentioned, I really enjoyed putting it together and will definitely be doing kits from here on. I already picked up a Novak 55 turn motor since it was only $12 and it helped things out.

I took the Losi Mini rock crawler out for a bit while the dingo's battery charged and it's crazy how big of difference the drag brake makes.

Some more pictures from today:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Sh4 posted:

I'm looking for an used rolling chassis preferably something like a 4x4 Stampede or Rustler, I will be using it at the beach this summer but I'll buy anything 1/10 or larger if it's adapted for my needs. Don't need any radios or electronics as I will be buying them new.

I've got a 4x4 Slash Platinum Edition roller. Body's beat to poo poo, but still holding together. PM me if you're interested. or thekuffs at the gee mails.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got a traxxas slash 4x4 a while back and just had a chance to take it out.

I love this thing, it's so much more planted than my old nitro trucks.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
Just installed the new RPM front bumper/skid and rear skid plate for the Losi, they remove the mounting from the front and its all supported from the 4 mounting screws on the bottom.

still waiting on the MC2 pistons, aluminum servo horn, also bought a integy motor heatsink to try see if it will cool down the Tekin pro4 better than the castle fan I had in it.

had it out again last weekend, starting to get the hang of jumping it, man its so much fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJAbefzhCLw

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

man, I love offroad. I wish I could justify owning one but theres just no tracks close enough :(

what i would give to be playing with SCTs every weekend :(

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Nice! From the looks of it you've got more than enough steering... you might want try a little thicker diff oils, 5-5-3 might work a little better on that track, especially if you power out instead of in on curves. It should really help you launch on those areas covered in astroturf, too. With the extra acceleration and if you can get the hang of gyroing this truck around you should be able to clear that triple in the middle with it.

Since switching to the Pro4 4600 from a Novak 550 4.5t, I've had to watch how much throttle I use going on jumps because I kept overshooting everything. I think the setup I've got now is about as close to perfect for me on the track I run as I can get it... I ran a 34.1s lap last race, 2 seconds ahead of the field during quals. I choked in the main (lap traffic decided to play bumper cars instead of yielding to leader) and wound up 2nd.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

TremorX posted:

Nice! From the looks of it you've got more than enough steering... you might want try a little thicker diff oils, 5-5-3 might work a little better on that track, especially if you power out instead of in on curves. It should really help you launch on those areas covered in astroturf, too. With the extra acceleration and if you can get the hang of gyroing this truck around you should be able to clear that triple in the middle with it.

Since switching to the Pro4 4600 from a Novak 550 4.5t, I've had to watch how much throttle I use going on jumps because I kept overshooting everything. I think the setup I've got now is about as close to perfect for me on the track I run as I can get it... I ran a 34.1s lap last race, 2 seconds ahead of the field during quals. I choked in the main (lap traffic decided to play bumper cars instead of yielding to leader) and wound up 2nd.

awesome, ill try the 5-5-3 setup, the worse thing about that track are the small pot holes on almost every turn, its also why you see it on the outside corner sometimes. the tracks not really maintained so theirs not much we can do about it. The best corner for really trying anything its the second corner from the long jump/ramp in the front. been mostly trying to go fast then break before the turn or drift it for fun.

I use maybe 1/3 or half throttle on those jumps, the pro4 is insane, smooth and fast. I'm having esc problems right now with the hobbywing, the lights flashing which also means its turned off the sensor. Might have that solved (forgot to turn off timing on the esc) and I also have a extra sensor cable to try.

man I wish we had real races here, but right now its only me and a friend with a Ofna sct10. Better than nothing though as at lest we have run racing each other.

HoWSeR fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 3, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sigh....I'm getting the urge to race a short course truck again. Question for all you guys since I've been out of it for awhile....do those Axial buggies run with the short course trucks?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've recently moved to a semi-small town that has a local rc club with a dedicated racetrack. It's a motocross looking track except rc size.

I want to get into some racing for fun. The last R/C car I owned was a Tyco TurboHopper.

The rules are available here, but I don't have an rc car and I am not sure which class would be a fun class if I am new.

I know that I want electric, as I don't have time to mess about with a nitro motor. I've seen friends having trouble tuning them and I'd rather just have a couple sets of batteries on the charger ready to go.

I also know that I like stadium trucks in real life. A friend has a 4wd Traxxas stadium truck that absolutely motors. I'd say it's quicker than any of the nitro trucks that other friends have.

Can anyone recommend a truck that would work well in one of the racing classes on that PDF, and also allow for parts upgrades in the future ? I'd like to be able to adjust ride height and mess with shocks and things. I'm not looking for something to do huge jumps with, I would much rather have something that stays stable and planted.

Here is the youtube page for the club, which shows the local track. http://www.youtube.com/thegpmra

There is also a lot of big wide open 4x4 areas around here with sand dunes and long whoop sections and things.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 3, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

You didn't include a link to the PDF, but it sounds like your friend has a Slash 4x4. I was initially going to suggest a Traxxas Slash 2wd, but seeing how the track is a big loose outdoors style, you would probably want a 4x4 Slash. They are great trucks, are built like tanks, and are super easy to work on. Parts are also super easy to come by.

You will have fun. A Slash 4x4 compared to a Tyco TurboHopper is like going from a moped to a Z06 Corvette :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Listed a few rollers in SAmart. Kyosho MP9 TKi converted to electric (and partially upgraded to TKi2 w/ shock towers and big bore threaded shocks), TLR 22 buggy, and AE 44.1.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482827

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

New Jeep Comanche body done up as a shop truck for where I work. I took her muddin' this evening.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

New Jeep Comanche body done up as a shop truck for where I work. I took her muddin' this evening.

Is that BigFoot 10 in the background? Have you made a thread regarding this ?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jonathan posted:

Is that BigFoot 10 in the background? Have you made a thread regarding this ?

yeah what the gently caress talk about the Bigfoot.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

That's Bigfoot #5. http://www.bigfoot4x4.com/bf5.html

I actually did make a thread awhile ago in A/T about what it was like to work in the monster truck industry, but it died pretty quick.

This is our newest truck, BIGFOOT #18. Without saying who, there is a very good chance there will be an r/c company doing a replica of this :)

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 4, 2012

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I miss the monster trucks of old that were just regular trucks lifted to gently caress with big wheels :(

I drove one of the original taurus trucks in NZ, got air any everything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I actually did make a thread awhile ago in A/T about what it was like to work in the monster truck industry, but it died pretty quick.

Please remake that thread in AI, I guarantee there will be interest. I personally have about 10 questions I can think of immediately

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Please remake that thread in AI, I guarantee there will be interest. I personally have about 10 questions I can think of immediately

Ask and ye shall receive. Just posted it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

You didn't include a link to the PDF, but it sounds like your friend has a Slash 4x4. I was initially going to suggest a Traxxas Slash 2wd, but seeing how the track is a big loose outdoors style, you would probably want a 4x4 Slash. They are great trucks, are built like tanks, and are super easy to work on. Parts are also super easy to come by.

You will have fun. A Slash 4x4 compared to a Tyco TurboHopper is like going from a moped to a Z06 Corvette :)

I did a lot of youtube watching on the slash. They seem to be able to take a poo poo kicking.

What is meant by "Short Course" ? Is that just an RC term for stadium truck type chassis instead of a buggy ?

There was also a Slash that comes with softer suspension in order to look like a real truck on the course, lots of body roll and it squats under acceleration etc. Not a great competition truck but a good bash and fun truck.

Is there much of a market for 1/5th scale ? I saw a video of a Losi 5T, which looked incredibly cool. The website says they're $1600 though. I don't want to spend that much on an RC car.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

jonathan posted:

I did a lot of youtube watching on the slash. They seem to be able to take a poo poo kicking.

What is meant by "Short Course" ? Is that just an RC term for stadium truck type chassis instead of a buggy ?

There was also a Slash that comes with softer suspension in order to look like a real truck on the course, lots of body roll and it squats under acceleration etc. Not a great competition truck but a good bash and fun truck.

Is there much of a market for 1/5th scale ? I saw a video of a Losi 5T, which looked incredibly cool. The website says they're $1600 though. I don't want to spend that much on an RC car.

The reason they are called "Short Course" as opposed to "Stadium Truck" is because stadium trucks have long been an r/c class by themselves. This differentiates the two classes (and 1:1 desert trucks like the Slash really are called Short Course trucks due to CORR style racing). The traditional r/c stadium truck class is dying because of the popularity of short course.

As for 1/5 stuff....it's not near as popular in most places at 1/10 or 1/8. They are badass, but they are super expensive and need bigger tracks. The 1/5 scale stuff is also still relatively new on the scene.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I'm looking to buy kuff's slash 4x4 but I need a second one for my girl, any way to buy a chassis without electronics so I can slap hobby king parts everywhere in it ?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is our newest truck, BIGFOOT #18. Without saying who, there is a very good chance there will be an r/c company doing a replica of this :)

My guess is Traxxas. Revo platform maybe? Or maybe Stampede 4x4.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
What are the motor dimensions for a slash 4x4 ? I want to buy this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F9127%5F%5FTurnigy%5FBrushless%5F1%5F8%5FScale%5FCar%5FPower%5FSystem%5F2000KV%5F150A.html but I'm not sure if it will fit because it says it's for 1/8th.

By googling around I'm still not sure because some say it's a 540 and others say it's a 550 ? Either it seems that the motor I linked above will not fit ?

Sh4 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 6, 2012

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The SC4x that I had in it is a 550 sized motor. But I can run those measurements on the chassis and tell you for sure.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

kuffs posted:

The SC4x that I had in it is a 550 sized motor. But I can run those measurements on the chassis and tell you for sure.

Sure, let me know about that also still waiting for the pics

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
My first foray into nitro begins this weekend :ohdear::hf::pwn:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

My guess is Traxxas. Revo platform maybe? Or maybe Stampede 4x4.

They have been doing a lot of licenced MTs lately.

how is the HPI wheelie king in terms of general gently caress-around-ness? MT thread has me wanting a toy one.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Laserface posted:

They have been doing a lot of licenced MTs lately.

how is the HPI wheelie king in terms of general gently caress-around-ness? MT thread has me wanting a toy one.

Eh, they are ok. They are just really small.

Best scale (old school) monster will always be the clodbuster!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Best current MT continues to be the Stampede 4x4

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Best current MT continues to be the Stampede 4x4

what about that 1/8th hpi savage flux?

The super clod buster reminds me of my old toy red monster truck rc when I was a kid. Would love to have one, but i'm kinda eyeing a 1/8 electric buggy, maybe a losi 8ight or a ofna nexx 8.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

HoWSeR posted:

what about that 1/8th hpi savage flux?

The super clod buster reminds me of my old toy red monster truck rc when I was a kid. Would love to have one, but i'm kinda eyeing a 1/8 electric buggy, maybe a losi 8ight or a ofna nexx 8.

1/8th electric is kickass. Tech has come a long long ways in the past couple of years. Speed controllers are much more solid, batteries much better. There's not much out there that's going to out grunt a 1/8e.

Speaking of 1/8th electric, anyone see Tekno's new full car? They've been doing electric conversions for years but have just finally released info on a complete kit. Looks amazing!

http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=11960

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The racing bug is biting me pretty hard...I'm just not sure what to get! I'll probably go with a stock SC truck. I've owned a Slash and AE SC10....and I'm leaning towards a Slash. The stock/rtr SC class is gigantic here in STL (2 race tracks have a good car count, with several pros running it) and I think I'd be better off with a Slash. When I raced in the class a couple years ago it was a slugfest, and the Slash is just tougher.

Ugh, what to do?!

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 8, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The racing bug is biting me pretty hard...I'm just not sure what to get! I'll probably go with a stock SC truck. I've owned a Slash and SCX10....and I'm leaning towards a Slash. The stock/rtr SC class is gigantic here in STL (2 race tracks have a good car count, with several pros running it) and I think I'd be better off with a Slash. When I raced in the class a couple years ago it was a slugfest, and the Slash is just tougher.

Ugh, what to do?!

My local SC class was the same way. Completely brutal. The Slash walked away from a bunch of stuff that the other trucks would pit for repairs for.

I never had a problem with the Slash keeping up with the other trucks. Make sure you run the swaybars, as they make all the difference in deciding if you're sliding around corners or gripping around them.

Mine also ran the ProLine shocks, fluid diffs and barcode tires, but I dont know what constitutes stock in your stock class

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

My local SC class was the same way. Completely brutal. The Slash walked away from a bunch of stuff that the other trucks would pit for repairs for.

I never had a problem with the Slash keeping up with the other trucks. Make sure you run the swaybars, as they make all the difference in deciding if you're sliding around corners or gripping around them.

Mine also ran the ProLine shocks, fluid diffs and barcode tires, but I dont know what constitutes stock in your stock class

I had a typo in my quote, I meant AE SC10 (not SCX10).

Yeah, our stock class just means you have to run the stock motor or a 17.5 brushless. I liked my SC10....but it didn't really handle that much better than the Slash, and I would snap parts on it from time to time. I had some horrific crashes with the Slash (flat bottoming on pipe w/ railroad stake sticking out) and the fucker just wouldn't break. Even watching the pro class guys race the Short Course trucks makes for a ton of bangin'.....but that's why I love the class!

Speed Energy is now a sponsor of Bigfoot, so I'm trying to work a connection for them to hook me up with a Speed Energy-edition Slash truck :smug:.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 8, 2012

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

I had a typo in my quote, I meant AE SC10 (not SCX10).

Yeah, our stock class just means you have to run the stock motor or a 17.5 brushless. I liked my SC10....but it didn't really handle that much better than the Slash, and I would snap parts on it from time to time. I had some horrific crashes with the Slash (flat bottoming on pipe w/ railroad stake sticking out) and the fucker just wouldn't break. Even watching the pro class guys race the Short Course trucks makes for a ton of bangin'.....but that's why I love the class!

Speed Energy is now a sponsor of Bigfoot, so I'm trying to work a connection for them to hook me up with a Speed Energy-edition Slash truck :smug:.

Slashes are fun, if anything does break you can add RPM parts to make it bulletproof, Loved modding mine up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I always forget that most people actually race 2wd slashes, which are of course even more bulletproof, as there is less stuff to break.