Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

That loving Sned posted:

I've read that there's three new options in the 3DS version, called 'I like MGS4!', 'I like MGS Peace Walker!' and 'I like all the MGS games!'. Unfortunately, scouring the wastes of GameFAQs didn't reveal what any of these do.

There are a bunch of different options presented to you when you start a new game, with a different reward depending on what you pick:

"I like MGS1!" - AUSCAM camouflage
"I like MGS2!" - Desert Tiger camouflage and Raiden Mask in the intro cutscene
"I like MGS3!" - Flecktarn camouflage and Green and Brown face paints
"I like MGS4!" - DPM camouflage
"I like MGS PEACE WALKER!" - Banana camouflage
"I like all the MGS games!" - Grenade camouflage
"I'm playing MGS for the first time!" - Mummy camouflage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

I said come in! posted:

If you want the DLC, don't buy Uncharted 3 yet, a Game of the Year Edition was just recently announced. http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/04/24/uncharted-3-game-of-the-year-edition-announced-for-europe/

drat that's a lot of DLC. Neat.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
You know I'm liking DMC1 so far but the whole fixed camera thing can suck a dick, makes some of the boss fights harder than they should be I'm fighting the first miniboss inside of the underworld, the thing that rises out of the pool of goo, and it keeps moving its weak point out of view of the camera which loving sucks combined with how briefly the weak point shows up and the thing's constant barrage of spikes/bullets/whatever

That level sure looks cool so far though

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Playing through Uncharted 1 on Crushing.. my god... these pirates breathe on you and you need to take cover.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DangerKat posted:

Playing through Uncharted 1 on Crushing.. my god... these pirates breathe on you and you need to take cover.

A difficult game can be fun. Sometimes developers design a game from the ground up to be challenging but fair, and give you a sense of accomplishment when you win. Then sometimes they literally crank all the numbers to +500 and call it a day (Uncharted)

It's not even fun anymore on Crushing.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

God of War 4 will have 4v4 multiplayer. It's class-based where you play as spartans (Kratos isn't present in multiplayer) and your abilities are based on which god you worhsip. Gameplay revolves around teamwork to control/slay giant boss characters by the looks of things? It's certainly unique that's for sure! Pretty shocking too since everybody was expecting some generic co-op mode but it seems like they've kinda invented a whole new style of gameplay judging by descriptions of the media (no gameplay footage is released yet, only screenshots).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MUFFlNS posted:

God of War 4 will have 4v4 multiplayer. It's class-based where you play as spartans (Kratos isn't present in multiplayer) and your abilities are based on which god you worhsip. Gameplay revolves around teamwork to control/slay giant boss characters by the looks of things? It's certainly unique that's for sure! Pretty shocking too since everybody was expecting some generic co-op mode but it seems like they've kinda invented a whole new style of gameplay judging by descriptions of the media (no gameplay footage is released yet, only screenshots).

It sounds and looks incredible. I'm so excited for this game now.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MUFFlNS posted:

Did your uncle at Sony tell you this?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

TaurusOxford posted:

Did your uncle at Sony tell you this?

God of War: Ascension – Multiplayer Announcement Live From Santa Monica Studio
God of War: Ascension takes godslaying online with multiplayer focus
God of War: Ascension multiplayer preview

vvv Details for the live stream are in the first link I listed, for anyone interested

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Apparently they are streaming it in an hour on Playstation Blog.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
As an owner of ME3 who has not touched the Campaign but played dozens of hours of it's Co-op Multiplayer mode, I can safely say this God of War announcement has me likely back on board.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

A difficult game can be fun. Sometimes developers design a game from the ground up to be challenging but fair, and give you a sense of accomplishment when you win. Then sometimes they literally crank all the numbers to +500 and call it a day (Uncharted)

Yeah, that's how it feels. I've read that UC2/UC3 Crushing difficulties aren't nearly as unforgiving. It's frustrating because it completely changes the way you approach the pirates. Why am I addicted to platinums that I subject myself to this!!!

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

DangerKat posted:

Yeah, that's how it feels. I've read that UC2/UC3 Crushing difficulties aren't nearly as unforgiving. It's frustrating because it completely changes the way you approach the pirates. Why am I addicted to platinums that I subject myself to this!!!

You're lucky. I satisfied the requirements for the Uncharted 1 plat before it had trophies. No way am I doing it again to get it. I just had so few games at the time that it seemed like a worthwhile endeavor, but I seem to remember enjoying the difficulty at the time.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The GoW: Ascension guys are talking a big game about keeping things fresh and not just making the same game over and over. I hope it's not bullshit.

If the multiplayer looks as cool as it sounds and they make some changes to the single player to keep it interesting I will go from :geno: to excited.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

This Is My Story, Bitches

DangerKat posted:

Uncharted 2/3 are indeed more well-designed in crushing difficulty. I platinumed both 1 and 2, and only didn't platinum 3 because it requires an online pass.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

UStream :argh: Seems pretty cool though, not that I care at all about multiplayer, but getting advice from Naughty Dog probably helps a bunch considering how popular UC multiplayer is.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Uncharted 1 is much tougher on Crushing but it's still very achievable. It might require playing differently - especially if you're used to just taking cover and not moving.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It seems really odd to give out so much info on a game of this caliber before E3.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I really disagree with this. Like seriously disagree.

Crushing changes up the AI for the game in a strong way. Enemies are far more apt to use grenades to wedge you out of cover and punish you faster when you fire peeking out of cover. If you play through a fight hiding behind the same cover, you making it way harder for yourself.

Blind fire, always move closer, and brutal combos are key in Crushing. Take cover when the shooting starts and get a sense for where people are. Find the fringe shooters (the ones at the left or right flank) and move from cover to cover to get close to them while keeping cover from the others. Rush from cover and blind fire and finish with a steel fist or brutal combo. If you need to, fire while you move from cover to get early hits in. Uncharted has very generous auto aim while blind firing to help this approach. Use grenades to stagger as well or force them to dodge because they don't shoot while diving for cover so you can get closer.

Really, the hardest way to play Crushing in UC1 is to be pixel hunting from a distance behind the same cover. They lob grenades with abandon, have very accurate fire almost as soon as you get crosshair to target, and the "duck and weave" AI is a real counter to the Gears of War style of hovering a crosshair over the place you know the head will be popping up from. You are in just as much danger being close as being far away because of their accuracy. And most of the distant cover in the game has you being shot successfully from three or four guys at one time.

Embrace blind fire and steel fist and you'll find Crushing is really more fun because of the more mobile enemies. The game is designed around cover, shooting, and melee and even rewards this by giving you bonus ammo for melee kills. You are highly mobile so you should use that.

Of course, you need to keep your head and watch out for Shotguns because those are your nemesis on Crushing because they like it when you get close. But those are what grenades are for to stagger them and take their Shotgun.

Edit: Play like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqJR4NpxtlM&feature=related#t=2m43s

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 30, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Mayeb it's just me but this USTREAM is choppy as gently caress. Like 2002-era DSL buffering. Hopefully it'll just get put up somewhere else later.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Harlock posted:

It seems really odd to give out so much info on a game of this caliber before E3.
I guess since they're mostly giving out multiplayer information it's to soften the blow, so to speak, to avoid groans about tacked on multiplayer if they revealed this at E3. I guess they'll focus more on single player stuff at E3.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Stare-Out posted:

I guess since they're mostly giving out multiplayer information it's to soften the blow, so to speak, to avoid groans about tacked on multiplayer if they revealed this at E3. I guess they'll focus more on single player stuff at E3.

Yeah the guy just mentioned that they'd be talking about the new single player features "later," which probably means E3.

That said, I like what I see of the multiplayer. If they can execute the concept properly it should be a fun addition.

e: Also UStream is a piece of poo poo and keeps freezing for me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Crowbear posted:

Yeah the guy just mentioned that they'd be talking about the new single player features "later," which probably means E3.

That said, I like what I see of the multiplayer. If they can execute the concept properly it should be a fun addition.

e: Also UStream is a piece of poo poo and keeps freezing for me.
UStream stinks. The multiplayer does look pretty interesting (and gory :aaa:) and it seems like they have a clear goal as to what the story and the game overall will be like. Excited for this now.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

:words: on UC Crushing

See, I've found myself often needing to seek much more cover than I did during my Hard playthrough because trying changing cover spots to move up, there is usually some pirate with dead-eye pistol accuracy sitting at the back of the area. I can rarely get a brutal combo in without being taken out by else where or even just firing from the hip and finishing with a punch. Maybe it is just a symptom of Chapters 4 & 5 (I just started Chapter 8) but I'm not able to fight nearly as mobile as I'd like.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Uncharted 1 isn't that hard to plat compared to say CoD: World at War. Crushing is pretty manageable if you do it immediately after beating hard and your memory of enemy layouts/spawns is still fresh in your mind.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Urban Achiever posted:

Uncharted 1 is much tougher on Crushing but it's still very achievable. It might require playing differently - especially if you're used to just taking cover and not moving.
The only part of Uncharted 1 I will outright say is bullshit on Crushing is the water ski segments. gently caress those. You end up having to pixel hunt at a distance, and just hope they don't get you before you get them. It was horrible, and that's where my Crushing playthrough ended as I recall.

(in regular difficulty, they still suck, but you can mostly do the action movie thing of driving through guns a blazing... not so much on crushing)

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
So GoW multiplayer is Spartans vs Trojans?

Guess the single player will be based on the Trojan wars then? I guess that's all they have left on Greek mythology.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The new composer they have for GoW:A scored 300. Apt.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Stare-Out posted:

Oh jesus, that soundtrack was pretty bad.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

DangerKat posted:

See, I've found myself often needing to seek much more cover than I did during my Hard playthrough because trying changing cover spots to move up, there is usually some pirate with dead-eye pistol accuracy sitting at the back of the area. I can rarely get a brutal combo in without being taken out by else where or even just firing from the hip and finishing with a punch. Maybe it is just a symptom of Chapters 4 & 5 (I just started Chapter 8) but I'm not able to fight nearly as mobile as I'd like.

If there's a guy at the back, use him as your pace meter if he's being especially problematic. Consider him your cover priority and make sure there are blocks or pillars blocking him from you. Enemies are just as deadly close as at range so anyone who acts like a sniper needs to be countered with it.

As for having enough time to pull off a brutal combo, it's more about reading the field and doing what's possible at the time. I always take cover and just get a sense of where people are so that I can approach safely. If you're in a "rows and rows of short cover" type situations, blind fire at a distance can cause them to duck or otherwise stagger giving you pause for advance or to get in a brutal combo over a guy you've gotten close to. And a grenade is always a good method for giving you time because enemies generally become useless from the moment the grenade is in the air to a few seconds after it detonates. I almost never get grenade kills in UC1 because the enemies are pretty smart about getting out of the way but they never shoot while getting out of the way.

Also, you just need to work on the idea that it takes a lot of risk to get close and that you're going to take a bullet or two. Developing a pace for moving between cover that balances healing while blind firing and seeing the "this is where I can rush this guy" is part of what makes Crushing super fun to play. It's a hell of a lot of improvisation and finding windows or making windows wider. If you get a long distance blind fire hit on a problematic sniper, leap out of cover because he's going to stagger for a couple of seconds.

And abandon any long term relationship with one gun. UC1 has me cycling to picked up weapons constantly because of the low amount of stored ammo (much less than UC2 and UC3). Steel Fist will reward you with bonus ammo but even still you have to live off the land and any bullet in the general direction of the enemy is better than pixel hunting with your last dozen AK rounds.

Edit:

Shalinor posted:

The only part of Uncharted 1 I will outright say is bullshit on Crushing is the water ski segments.

No, those whole sections are a stain on the game in any circumstance. Awful gameplay and spamming grenades at pixels is about all you can do.

Edit: I agree, Plane Wrecked and the Blue Cistern (big blue room) are the two hardest fights in terms of challenge. The former is generally low cover and a mixture of shotgun guys added in. Very challenging but you can use the segments of taller cover to help shield you while you move and position for ambushes on the shotguns. The Blue room is hard because it changes constantly with people up above, extra dudes hopping in, and poor visibility. Many times I never knew where the threat was so I literally ran always and tried to stumble on people I could beat up and then start running again. It is insane but thrilling. Also, blindfire the gently caress out of those assholes on the upper tiers who make life painful.
V V V V

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 30, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Man that poo poo was easy as hell if you just took your time. I thought the water physics were really cool too.

Probably the hardest fight in the first Uncharted is leading up to and directly after finding the plane.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah, though I thought the Watchmen score was alright and it's by the same guy. V:shobon:V That said, GoW3 had some pretty cool themes to it so I'm not sure what prompted the decision to change composers.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Not only is that composer an absolute bore with everything he's done, I believe they had to put a disclaimer sticker on copies of the soundtrack/maybe the DVD because they found out he plagiarized a bunch of it. How does he get more work? That's shameful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_Original_Motion_Picture_Soundtrack#Copyright_issues

Role Play McMurphy fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 30, 2012

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Remember how PS+ members are supposed to get Awesomenauts for free tomorrow? Now, maybe not so much. Apparently the developer -- DTP Entertainment -- is going bankrupt.

At least we still get Rock of Ages (on the 15th), Trine 2, Symphony of the Night, etc.

edit -- Or maybe we will. If you have an Xbox, though, you may not be so lucky.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 30, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Taratang posted:

Uncharted 1 isn't that hard to plat compared to say CoD: World at War. Crushing is pretty manageable if you do it immediately after beating hard and your memory of enemy layouts/spawns is still fresh in your mind.

Oh god, yeah. Having done both, UC1 Crushing is just irritating compared to the sheer hellscape that is WaW's campaign on Veteran. The Reichstag stage is enough to give me horrible game PTSD just thinking about how awful it is.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I wouldn't even compare the two. The hard difficulties in CoD games is just straight up unfair.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Stare-Out posted:

Why would you do this.

I'm officially apathetic about this new GoW.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Not only is that composer an absolute bore with everything he's done, I believe they had to put a disclaimer sticker on copies of the soundtrack/maybe the DVD because they found out he plagiarized a bunch of it. How does he get more work? That's shameful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_Original_Motion_Picture_Soundtrack#Copyright_issues
Man, I knew he wasn't all that great but this is crazy. Comparing the tracks mentioned in that article it's also pretty drat obvious. What a douche.

And Elliot Goldenthal should get more work on bigger movies, he rules.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'll always remember 300 as that movie that revolutionized making films accessible to the blind. I've never seen a movie with so much narration in it before, that explains everything the audience is seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

I'll always remember 300 as that movie that revolutionized making films accessible to the blind. I've never seen a movie with so much narration in it before, that explains everything the audience is seeing.
Well, comic books have narration like that, and it was emulating the comic like crazy. Also I often wonder how long the movie would be if you sped up all the slow motion parts to normal speed, about 30 minutes long I bet.

• Locked thread