Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Before you can get in that cave you have to go out into the hot springs or something that is to the northwest, I think. It's up near Iorveth's house. But once you're there it will take some careful looking to find the path up high where the item is.

Ok I don't know where Iorveth's shag pad is. I ended up in the Catacombs some where while trying to find the pointy ear ghetto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NuckmasterJ posted:

Ok I don't know where Iorveth's shag pad is. I ended up in the Catacombs some where while trying to find the pointy ear ghetto.

If you're heading out of Vergen via the main gate, head up the stairs to the right just before the last gate, and continue north.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

folgore posted:

Did you go to the quarry harpy cave yet?

This quest is really hilarious since once of stored dreams is a wet dream fantasy of Saskia from some random peasant.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

etalian posted:

This quest is really hilarious since once of stored dreams is a wet dream fantasy of Saskia from some random peasant.
While watching that I couldn't figure out if it was a peasant's dream of having sex with Saskia or Saskia's dream of having sex with a peasant. It's labeled as "peasant's dream" though so it's the former I guess. That's more boring.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Samurai Sanders posted:

While watching that I couldn't figure out if it was a peasant's dream of having sex with Saskia or Saskia's dream of having sex with a peasant. It's labeled as "peasant's dream" though so it's the former I guess. That's more boring.

Awww man, I saw it as Sakia dreaming about having a gangbang with a bunch of dwarves. Way less fun the other way around.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I've been playing around with the PC settings a bit after I've switched back to the PC for my EE playthrough (too used to my multibutton mouse over the 360 controller) and I've found that although the Witcher ini Tweaker Launcher calls SSAO a subtle setting it makes a big difference to me in terms of graphic immersion. (Specifically without it some shadows have a crosshatched look and the models feel as though they have less depth).

Someone asked about settings that don't tax CPU earlier so it's worth noting that wikipedia states that SSAO can be handled entirely by the GPU.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Why does Iorveth hate Phillipa so much, is it for taking control of Saskia or is there something else too?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

homerlaw posted:

Why does Iorveth hate Phillipa so much, is it for taking control of Saskia or is there something else too?

He has a boner for Saskia.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

etalian posted:

He has a boner for Saskia.
Unfortunately Iorveth is a little too tall for her taste

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SpRahl posted:

Unfortunately Iorveth is a little too tall for her taste

Yup she has a hankering for dwarves instead.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

etalian posted:

What was up with the Iorveth dream? I can't remember if anyone figured it out

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Sputty posted:

What was up with the Iorveth dream? I can't remember if anyone figured it out
Iorveth dreams of peace and comfort.

In other words, he's not this lover of violence that everyone, even Saskia, seems to think he is.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Lycus posted:

Iorveth dreams of peace and comfort.

In other words, he's not this lover of violence that everyone, even Saskia, seems to think he is.

It's an easy mistake to make, considering he's a crazy racist terrorist.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
I just finished a second playthrough yesterday, and right after the new epilogue slides the game just quit to the desktop. No error message, nothing in the taskbar, etc. Did I miss anything?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

SpaceViking posted:

It's an easy mistake to make, considering he's a crazy racist terrorist.

Well I guess you could always be like the guy who's wife was kidnapped and used as a sex slave for a year to only have her commit suicide and be left with the half breed kid. Or the 'thief' that was hanged in the market square. Or drink all day. Yep, thats pretty much the career options for an elf in the Witcher.

The Iorveth path is just so much more satisfying thematically imo. The Roche path is filled with awkward 'alliances' and so much "Certainly didn't see this coming, no way" that I think its almost a joke. Like, they need conversation options during that path that reflect it. Even Zoltan is like "gently caress, this poo poo is wrong, why aren't we on the other side? gently caress it, I'm coming with you and staying there."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Zoltan's attitude is very illustrative of the difference between the paths. He's so happy and energized when you're on Iorveth's Path, and he's depressed as poo poo on Roche's Path.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

homerlaw posted:

He also loathes sorceresses and the Lodge in general cause the Elven state of Dol Blathanna is run by a sorceress and Lodge member, Findabair. She sold out to Nilfgaard and betrayed the Scoia'tael and allowed them to be butchered. His unit, the Vrihedd Brigade, was murdered after one of the wars by Nilfgaard following their defeat. The Nilfgaardian ambassador insists it was at the insistence of the Northern Monarchs, but I think he holds both them and Findabair responsible.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Berk Berkly posted:

The Iorveth path is just so much more satisfying thematically imo. The Roche path is filled with awkward 'alliances' and so much "Certainly didn't see this coming, no way" that I think its almost a joke. Like, they need conversation options during that path that reflect it. Even Zoltan is like "gently caress, this poo poo is wrong, why aren't we on the other side? gently caress it, I'm coming with you and staying there."

I dunno, I kinda liked that about the Roche path. It fits in with the whole "morally grey" thing The Witcher has going on, I enjoyed the idea of working alongside gross/evil people because they were the only ones who could help you get the job done.

That said, I still liked Iorveth's path better because mucking around in the camp got old pretty fast and after a while I got confused about exactly which curse I was lifting and how and why...it got as twisted and muddled as the streets of Vergen.

That and I liked the dwarves ("lesbomancy," etc).

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Berk Berkly posted:

Well I guess you could always be like the guy who's wife was kidnapped and used as a sex slave for a year to only have her commit suicide and be left with the half breed kid. Or the 'thief' that was hanged in the market square. Or drink all day. Yep, thats pretty much the career options for an elf in the Witcher.

Yeah, things are pretty lovely for nonhumans in the witcher, I'm not arguing that, but being a justified crazy racist terrorist doesn't make you less of a crazy racist terrorist

Ainsley McTree posted:

I dunno, I kinda liked that about the Roche path. It fits in with the whole "morally grey" thing The Witcher has going on, I enjoyed the idea of working alongside gross/evil people because they were the only ones who could help you get the job done.

That said, I still liked Iorveth's path better because mucking around in the camp got old pretty fast and after a while I got confused about exactly which curse I was lifting and how and why...it got as twisted and muddled as the streets of Vergen.

That and I liked the dwarves ("lesbomancy," etc).

I agree about Roche's path working better with the setting. You deal with this crazy murdering rear end in a top hat rapist king and indirectly help him squash a bunch of brave freedom fighters because you have to, not necessarily because you want to. And then when said crazy murdering rear end in a top hat rapist king crosses the line with your ally, you can let Roche totally murder him, because just like stopping Henselt wasn't your call, neither was stopping Roche.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SpaceViking posted:

I agree about Roche's path working better with the setting. You deal with this crazy murdering rear end in a top hat rapist king and indirectly help him squash a bunch of brave freedom fighters because you have to, not necessarily because you want to. And then when said crazy murdering rear end in a top hat rapist king crosses the line with your ally, you can let Roche totally murder him, because just like stopping Henselt wasn't your call, neither was stopping Roche.
Actually, there's a part to that arc I never quite figured out. Does Ves actually get raped by Henselt or was she part of the plot to sell the Blue Stripes out? While I don't doubt Henselt's loathsomeness there was a bit of dialogue I didn't quite make sense of and you never see her during Act 3.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Actually, there's a part to that arc I never quite figured out. Does Ves actually get raped by Henselt or was she part of the plot to sell the Blue Stripes out? While I don't doubt Henselt's loathsomeness there was a bit of dialogue I didn't quite make sense of and you never see her during Act 3.
Yes, she was raped. She was ashamed and didn't tell Geralt and Roche that part, but Geralt picked up on it. It wasn't meant to be a huge plot twist thing, just a character thing.

Edit:
Think back to the camp tournament. Ves gets pissed if you let her win, but you bond with her if you beat her. She wants to be treated like a soldier, not a defenseless woman. Her getting raped and left alive while her comrades were massacred made the ordeal even worse for her, and she projected how she felt about herself at that moment onto how she thought Roche and Geralt would see her.

Edit:
Also, Henselt confirms it if you ask him.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 1, 2012

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Lycus posted:

Yes, she was raped. She was ashamed and didn't tell Geralt and Roche that part, but Geralt picked up on it. It wasn't meant to be a huge plot twist thing, just a character thing.

It was confusing because the cutscene showed exactly what happened but yet we are supposed to think she didn't tell us via in character dialog, thus we get the weird "She isn't telling the truth" by Geralt which makes us think something else is going on.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Berk Berkly posted:

It was confusing because the cutscene showed exactly what happened but yet we are supposed to think she didn't tell us via in character dialog, thus we get the weird "She isn't telling the truth" by Geralt which makes us think something else is going on.
I think the purpose of that line was to show that it was weighing on Geralt's mind, leading to the option of angrily confronting Henselt about it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Asehujiko posted:

Is the Operator available in the Epilogue? I'm considering to do everything except the optional final boss before him because gently caress that tiny room full of crap designed to snag rolls, exploding enemies and fireballs that cover the entire room, the fucker himself knocking me down simply by walking or teleporting near me and straight out telefrags by gargoyles that have three times as many health as those on the surface and punch me in the face for more then my entire health bar.

Is he immune to instant kills from the Dark Mode swords? Statistically I should have gotten him with it a few times by now.

I came here to ask this. I just made it to the operator for the first time and just what the gently caress? :psyduck:

How do you beat this cocksucker?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Decided to pick up this game and from what I've seen in the tutorial I like it quite a bit, but one question. In the tutorial at the end I managed to kill like five guys before exploding myself with my own incineration trap (hosed if I can remember what it's called), and it still said I should play on Easy.

Is... is this game really that hard? :ohdear:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Holy poo poo found two swords in the forest in Loc Muinne with incredible stats. Their names are Dancer and Deithwin. Dancer the steel sword does more damage than that one the mage builds in Loc Muinne.

Also the sword group finisher is the most loving amazing thing. :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ledneh posted:

Decided to pick up this game and from what I've seen in the tutorial I like it quite a bit, but one question. In the tutorial at the end I managed to kill like five guys before exploding myself with my own incineration trap (hosed if I can remember what it's called), and it still said I should play on Easy.

No, from other posts it appears that the game thinks everyone sucks and should go to easy mode. I didn't do the tutorial so I dunno myself though.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Ledneh posted:

It certainly can be until you 'get it' but it sounds like you probably can play on normal/hard without to much difficulty. Don't play on Dark/Insane until you are really comfy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

You don't really learn how to play until you're done with the Prologue and some of Chapter 1, so I would never listen to that tutorial recommendation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Are there problems with Witcher 1 imports? I imported my final Witcher save but it has Geralt together with Triss in Witcher 2 even though he hugely pissed her off in the first game and she said she didn't want anything more to do with him.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Are there problems with Witcher 1 imports? I imported my final Witcher save but it has Geralt together with Triss in Witcher 2 even though he hugely pissed her off in the first game and she said she didn't want anything more to do with him.

There's no problem there. I think that particular choice got defaulted to Triss in TW2 afaik.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I have no idea how the game's story could have operated without Triss as Geralt's girlfriend. Would she get kidnapped and he would just be like "eh" and chapter 2 never happen?

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

It defaults to Triss, but apparently the EE adds a 'Shani Romanced' flag to the save import that wasn't there before.

So maybe she'll at least get mentioned now, I don't have a Shani save to check though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I do find it disappointing considering I liked Geralt and Shani having a (doomed) dream of just getting the gently caress out of Vizima and settling down and trying to live a relatively normal life. I also really enjoyed the Autopsy and House Party missions with Shani, whereas Triss actually really annoyed me when Geralt wakes up and overhears her scheming with another sorceress and talking about manipulating him, and when he calls her on it she just tells him she won't talk about it and Geralt just drops it. It's shortly after that when Triss tells you to take Alvin away from Shani and you have to make your choice, and it just seemed a no-brainer to me to NOT trust the person lying to Geralt, openly admitting manipulating him and refusing to explain herself when caught out.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
That would have been a huge undertaking to get Shani into the same level of plot importance as Triss had during this game. She just isn't a politically involved Sorceress and all that jizzle. It would basically be a different story almost all together.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think that is the point though. Given that they did choose to go for an "import save from first game" feature, it's a bit disappointing to me that they chose to write the story around a character around which a fairly big choice in the first game revolves. Especially when the player had a fair amount of reasons to possibly not trust Triss at all in the first game. I guess they had the story finalized in the Witcher 2 before they chose to make use of an import save feature.

It's disappointing when you play through the games in sequence because they are supposed to be very connected to one another, continuation of the story and events and so forth.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I have no idea how the game's story could have operated without Triss as Geralt's girlfriend. Would she get kidnapped and he would just be like "eh" and chapter 2 never happen?
Well, you'd still have to go to Aedirn in order to pursue Letho. And rescuing Triss is something that you can already choose to prioritize away in Chapter 3 via the "save Anais" and "save Saskia" branches.

Really, the biggest change would probably be to just change the opening prologue scene from waking up with Triss to Triss coming to tell you that Foltest wants to see you (instead of the soldier). That way you could keep the same exposition dialogue from that bit. Then you'd just have to remove some girlfriend-y dialogue here and there from the Prologue and Chapter 1.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 1, 2012

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Finished the prologue on dark mode and am wondering if I should spec into sword this time. Or maybe I'll just go full mage/alchemist again, or will not having riposte bite me in the dick?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Finished the prologue on dark mode and am wondering if I should spec into sword this time. Or maybe I'll just go full mage/alchemist again, or will not having riposte bite me in the dick?

Riposte is a huge help for the mist sequence in chapter two. Going magic/alchemy is totally fine, but seriously, do yourself a favour and put down a point each in Riposte and Footwork even if you don't plan on getting anything else from the swordsmanship tree. It'll save you a lot of pain in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinetic Tools
May 6, 2009
Riposte costs all of 1 talent point in the sword tree. It's first tier so no 'investment' is necessary. Seems like every build can spare 1 point for something that useful.

• Locked thread